Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
world cup
world cup
Downside?

If the mercy rule states "10", how about we play......who can get to 10 the fastest?

Maybe we'll have 17 minute matches. Does anybody benefit from that?

Can you see this happening? Let's break the record for the shortest match ever played.

Let's fire up the bus for a 40-minute drive to play a 20-minute match.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Thought about that..but does the winning team really only want to play twenty minutes? I sat thru to many matches of pass the ball around and we did not benefit from that either..You can simulate speed of play

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
If it's a 20 minute match..It should of never been played and no one is yelling at the unsportsmanlike coach

J
JJP Offline
bench
bench
J
I like winning as much as the next coach, but have we stopped to consider the spirit of the game? What are you teaching kids by running the score up? Who benefits from a 20-0 game?

Do girls walk off the field truly believing that they are the far superior team from 20-0 more so than 5-0?

Maybe the real beneficiaries are the girls who step on the field after being defeated 0-20.

In my opinion, it takes a ton of courage to lace up your boots and step on the pitch after a loss like that. I admire kids who are willing to play a sport where they go into every game knowing that they may never win a game, but they try nonetheless. Reminds me of kids in Mexico who play without shoes on, with tin cans for goals, just for the love of the game.

Also, when you consider how they divide up regions, soccer isn't the only sport high schools play - a team could be stronger in basketball, and weaker in other sports.

corner kick
corner kick
Why not shoot at a target wide of the goal. A sign on a fence beside the goal for example. It allows the superior team to still play hard without embarrassing their opponent. If you know before hand you going to win by a large margin, put a couple in the goal, then shoot wide for a while.

Only time will tell
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard