Page 1 of 2 1 2
#133976 04/24/10 09:29 PM
C
catsdad Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
C
At the 70 minute mark during the game Saturday afternoon between Waccamaw and West Florence at Waccamaw High School, after words and shoves were exchanged, a Waccamaw player punched a West Florence player in the face, both girls received red cards. The police were called and after order was restored, the final 10 minutes were played and Waccamaw hung on to win 1-0. The West Florence player's parents are considering filing criminal charges. My question is: is a punch thrown during a game criminal? And/or should the incident be handled by the two schools and the state activities association?

world cup
world cup
I'll let a lawyer handle that one.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Goal
Goal
If you are asking if charges can be pressed, the answer is yes. It could be considered assault and battery

S
goal
goal
S
ya, like this is a first,
this bs will be dismissed, a certain level of competition is allowed, especially when its kids....similar to the one bite rule with dog ownership.
there won't be any attys taking that case & prosecutors won't touch.
falls under the stfu, get outta my court system

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
I agree with sandman about the legal aspect. My question is what discipline is the coach/school taking in this instance? If police had to be called, then it must have gotten out of hand. Did she get a couple games suspension, kicked off team, etc.? It would appear some degree of discipline is warranted.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Catsdad - Have you read the Myrtle Beach Sun News take on the incident? It claims the cops were called to remove 2 fans from the game and no players were involved. Did you actually see a punch? Anyone else at the game care to elaborate?

http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/04/26/1442753/two-people-ejected-from-girls.html

C
catsdad Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
C
I was at the game and witnessed the West Florence player shove the Waccamaw player and then witnessed the Waccamaw player punch the West Florence player in the face. That's the statement I also gave to the police after the game. I understand the West Florence player's parents have decided to leave the situation in the hands of the state activities association, both schools and move on from this ugly and violent event

D
bench
bench
D
I was at the game as well. I have pictures of the police inspecting the West Florence players face. There were no ejections of spectators. The two players involved were issued red cards (rightfully so). In my opinion the referee is more at fault for this game getting out of hand than anyone on the field.

And yes, criminal charges have been assessed to atheletes in games. I know of charges that have been brought and tried for basketball(Sumter vs. Lower Richland) and football (Rock Hill vs. Marlboro). I have no knowledge of it for soccer, but it is possible.

Last edited by Dustdevils; 04/27/10 01:32 AM.
S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

I was at the game as well. I have pictures of the police inspecting the West Florence players face. There were no ejections of spectators. The two players involved were issued red cards (rightfully so). In my opinion the referee is more at fault for this game getting out of hand than anyone on the field.

And yes, criminal charges have been assessed to atheletes in games. I know of charges that have been brought and tried for basketball(Sumter vs. Lower Richland) and football (Rock Hill vs. Marlboro). I have no knowledge of it for soccer, but it is possible.

I heard the Mauldin goalkeeper got kicked in the face in the Spartanburg game. I assume there was not a foul called because the version I heard the Spartanburg goal was not called back. Can someone at the game say what happened? In what scenario can a player kick another player in the face?

corner kick
corner kick
Loose ball on the ground, the goalie tried to stop it as the forward tried to score. It happened on the opposite side to the fans, but Czar did not seem to have a problem with it. Part of being a keeper I guess. She is a little sore but played last night.

Only time will tell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard