Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Marta,
First off I appreciate you posting.
I guess a good question would be do you feel that BE and other private schools should move up a classification? I am ok with private schools in the HSL, but agree with the previous post about there being unfair advantages. An obvious fix for this would be to count each student as 1.5. Thus the enrollment for BE would be 1200 instead of 800 and would put them in AAA.
Other questions I have is do the parents of BE athletes realize that they have unfair advantages as far as attendence zones are concerned? And do you feel badly that by having these advantages you are taking away championships, and all that goes along with that, from kids who play for public schools?

A
bench
bench
A
I am a parent of a school who went to Bishop England 2 years ago in a play-off game with a group of 20 girls who had been playing soccer for a total 3 months. The score I believe was 13-0 at the end of the game, but I have no doubt it could have been 40-0 if the coach had not shown class and reigned his team in. My daughter said the BE girls were the nicest girls she played all season. I do not think it is very mature for adults to insult children. I would love to see BE and CC play up a classification, but it is not their fault where they are assigned. I would not move up willingly if I was winning wither.

C
throw in
throw in
C
Marta,
As a West Florence supporter, I have heard critism for years about the lack of competition in Region VI and why WF doesn't deserve respect. BE is playing within the rules and your girls excell! We would love a home and home with you,(especially since we can no longer play Wacammaw because it gets too out of hand!) Keep fighting on Marta!

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Marta,

Below is a list of programs who are not permitted to tout their own success on the message boards:

1. CESA
2. Irmo boys
3. Northwestern boys
4. Wando girls
5. Mauldin girls
6. Riverside girls
7. Bishop England girls

Draw your own conclusion as to "why".

Congrats on another very good season.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
throw in
throw in
B
What? HA HA ha ha

goal kick
goal kick
hahaha I agree, we should all pull for the underdogs this weekend, hopefully the Mauldin boys can win too because then in the AAAA guys their would be no one to root for hehehe

Perfumes of embraces all him assailed. With hungered flesh obscurely he mutely craved to adore.
B
throw in
throw in
B
Right! YOU are joking!

S
goal
goal
S
i don't think anyone is denigrating the b/e athletes & the b/e sports programs are certainly playing within the rules, but ya gotta ask yourself, why don't they move up???
if i was a boys/girls soccer coach i would def. be pushing the issue & i'm not saying thats not happening.
my uneducated guess would be the fball program dictates as in most programs.

M
throw in
throw in
M
I think you need to be more specific about your attendance zone comment TabVermes. What's the attendance zone of a public magnet school? Is that unfair too? What about No Child Left Behind? Is that included in your attendance zone definition? What about public charter schools that allow cross county attendance? How do you define the public school attendance zone? Is your definition the same as the district policy or federal law? I believe the concept of school choice is going to continue to expand and change the landscape of the public school system.

I understand that the issue of a multiplier has been raised at the high school league previously and voted down. You may not like that but it is not a reason to say that BE has won unfairly.

Do parents feel badly that we have beaten a competitive team like Waccamaw before? All of the semi-finals and finals in the last few years in 2A have been VERY competitive games that could have gone either way. Would you be asking this if Waccamaw or Woodruff had won? Of course we don't feel badly that we are playing in a league by consent with other teams who also consented and we won.

There are more variables than attendance zone that play into this discussion. They have all been raised and discussed repeatedly. These include "rich" schools v "poor" schools and schools with club feeders v schools with none. Are those variables unfair? Should you make provisions for those in the classifications? Of course the current league system includes all sports, not just soccer. I doubt that the original founders of the high school league could have imagined the change in youth sports over the last 15-20 years with the advent of off season clubs, paid training, etc. And by the way, BE was in AAA in the past (when I went to school in the olden days).

Given the disparity between sports at any given school maybe a state-wide league for each sport is a good idea. I generally agree with others that a ranking system similar to club might work although I'm certain there would be complaints about who ranks and how they rank. I also favor a tournament format for the championship. (Can you imagine what baseball would do if they couldn't play a 100 games before they decided who won!:D)

I think it's interesting that you suggest removing competitive games in 2A for the benefit of "public" schools because there are so few of them. I don't know if you're associated with a 2A school or not but if so would your players feel good about never having a competitive game and taking home the championship? It would have certainly been a boring road not to have Waccamaw to challenge us at the end of the year. Based on the Waccamaw coach's comments in the paper, they WANTED to play us. And before anyone starts screaming, yes, AM stepped up and challenged us this year.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
I think it's funny that, outside of The Chief (and I am by no means endorsing his position), nobody pounds on Riverside for "playing down".

Yet everybody loves to tee off on Bishop England.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard