Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
goal kick
goal kick
G
I think of BE like I do of insurance companies....most illegal, within the law

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Another perspective from a local who has the highest regard for the students, athletes, and families of Bishop England (and Wando). Many are my neigbors and friends.

Bishop Englnd sits in about the best soccer environment you can get so not sure why it is a shock they are so succesful. Heavens you have the Charleston Battery next door, MPSC, DISA, Coastal, and us training within minutes of the campus. OK SCUMP now but you still had coach Champ and her U11 girls on the Battery practice ground, DISA training on SPA land, MPSC on the other side of the Wando at Trident and Patriots and us at Codners Ferry park or Cainhoy School. Clearly we don't affect BE today but I know many of our U10 and U12 girls who are destined to wear the Green in a few years (or are they - more to come). At least two of Coastal group live on Daniel Island and countless other players with MPSC or DISA live on Daniel Island. Now someone said earlier BE is in Charleston and while that is true (City annexed the whole Clements Ferry corridor and Daniel Island), we are actually in Berkeley County (and school district) and zoned for Hannahan High School. Today Bishop England certainly benefits from this with many DI/Cainhoy parents (including me) looking to private local alternative HS and avoid the drive. In the same way until Daniel Island built the public elementary/middle school over 80% of DI residents sent their kids to private K-8 like First Baptist, Christ our King and PCA.

What I find interesting is what will happen over time. I see in another post speculation that Wando will see the fruits of all this great East Cooper youth soccer over time but I'm not so sure. The landscape is changing.
Notwithstanding the economic downturn and slowdown in growth, the Cainhoy peninsula is still one of the areas destined for most growth in the lowcountry.“Hot spots” for residential development in the greater Charleston region that were mentioned by Charleston City planners included as number one The Cainhoy Peninsula—including Daniel Island.

This fall we will see the opening of Palmetto Scholars Academy (South Carolina’s first public charter school for gifted and talented students) at the old Navy base with over 200 students in grades 6-8 and later extending to High School grades and this has gained a lot of attention on Daniel Island and area as an alternative to private tuition. And of course, most of us in this area with young children are desperate for news of the new public High School planned for Clements Ferry Road and just around the corner from Cainhoy Athletic. I heard rumors paper has been signed and tracts of land on Guggenheim tract has been set aside. Recent articles suggest doors opening as early as 2013 and I quote from Daniel Island News from December.
The greatest "hot spots" in the region for growth, based on data collected, are ...and the Cainhoy Peninsula, where a number of developments are either on the ground or planned for the near future. In the Cainhoy and Daniel Island area alone, another 4,000 plus residential and multi-family units are possible. That number doesn’t include potential development of the 8500-acre Guggenheim Tract (an area the size of peninsular Charleston), where as many as 16,000 units could be constructed off Clements Ferry Road...The tract is still being considered for a possible new high school that would serve the Daniel Island and Cainhoy/Huger areas, said Cooper. Currently, the majority of students in these schools are zoned to go to Hanahan High School after completing eighth grade. Berkeley County is expected to issue a bond referendum for voters next year that would cover the construction of three to four new schools in the district, one of which would likely be placed along the Clements Ferry corridor. "We need a high school offload for Hanahan," said Cooper. "…(Assuming) we can be successful with a referendum in 2010, I would say 2013 is the earliest we could hope to see doors open on any new facility," said Cooper.
Sorry to interupt this thread Marta,et al but wanted to put this out there as I find it somewhat relevant and very interesting. HIgh School soccer in 5 years as our U10 and U12 girls (and boys) age up might look very different than today, but know BE will still have a very good program wherever they play.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Are any of these new high schools going to "pinch" Wando?

Two more Harris Teeters opening this month in Mount Pleasant. The place continues to grow.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
brace
brace
Well to be fair I have been negitive in the past about them playing "down" but I have never attacked the players (or parents, although one did call me names in a post). I think you have to seperate the situation as is from the situation as it should be. Of course the "should be" is up for debate in everyones eyes. However the as is, is not the players fault and so they deserve what they win and I have not tried to say they did not earn it.

It is totally understandable for people who "see" teams winning at a level below what they percieve as approprite for that team and to feel like they are winning what they do not deserve. Note I said percvieve and perceptions are the "reality" of the perciever.
Put youself in the shoes of those who have been "denied" a chance at a championship becasue a school with an "unfiar" advantage keeps winning them, and then people from that school tout their successful program. Do you not think some would feel slighted or not want to hear the bragging from someone with that same "unfiar advantage"? I ask this question not to justify the behavior but rather to explain it.

As with all things there are cause and effect, understand one you can often explain the other. In any case attacking the players because of the situation is wrong and to taint a whole program becasue of the action of one player in the heat of a game is just as wrong. I would guess that most programs have low moments that they would rather not have brought up and do not reflect the overall character of the program or its players.

Just as a side note it is interesting how many of the final contenders at the AAA level are actually 4A size schools moving up next year.

Last edited by The Chief; 05/20/10 03:29 AM.
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

Are any of these new high schools going to "pinch" Wando?

Two more Harris Teeters opening this month in Mount Pleasant. The place continues to grow.

Wando is still in MP/Charleston County and so any growth on the other bank of the Wando River (Cainhoy/Berkeley County) will not affect their zone.

The Public Charter school may attract a few but not many and none that are serious about soccer as it is only opening on Aug 18 2010 and have yet to establish a sports program (to my knowledge).

MP isn't growing as rapidly as you would imagine and one of the HT stores you mention sits on upper Highway 41 and is long overdue. There have been plans to build this thing for about 10 years now. It doesn't indicate new growth in that area as it is only a few hundred yards shy of the Berkeley County line and Wando River.

Beyond Dunes West, Rivertown, and Planters Point on 41 there is a lot of wetlands and marsh before the river and can't imagine you could squeeze much more in within MP town limits.

There are (or have been) plans for expansion up 17N but I've heard some of those plans are slowing down or completely stalled this last year or two. Still MP is a fine place to live with great schools and soccer opportunities so as the economy recovers I would expect renewed development and more fine players.

Here is a link to Charleston City (Berkeley County) limits that prevents town of MP growth up 41, and even beyond.

City of Charleston - Berkeley County limits

City limits extends even up Cainhoy Road as far as BP Chemical plant. We are about 4 miles outside City limits (for now).

Last edited by Cainhoy Athletic; 05/20/10 03:38 AM.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Marta,
Thank you for answering my questions. I am not trying to belittle BE. They have great teams and great coaches and obviously work very hard. I was just wondering if parents associated with the school ever stepped back and looked at concerns that the public school supporters in AA have. I just wanted to point out that I did not say anything about removing competitive games. If a public school dominates then they dominate. But at least it's a school that has the same regulations as the other schools in the league. The fact is that Bishop England can draw from Charleston County.. There are about 300,000 people in Charleston County. Public schools draw from their towns, which in AA are mostly small towns. Obviously this is an unfair advantage. Just wanted to know if you realized that.

M
throw in
throw in
M
That's why I pointed out that public schools have extended attendance zones as well. For example, Academic Magnet draws from all of Charleston County. Your example of drawing from the small towns is not a complete picture regarding public schools. So do you give them (AM) a multiplier too? And what about the kids who come from across town because of No Child Left Behind? Does that school get a multiplier?

It's really not a public v private issue when you look closer.

brace
brace
Absolutely, the central concern that we should all agree on is about equity, level playing fields. ANY schools benefiting from inequities (such as attendance zone inequities) should be placed into the larger or largest classifications since the point of classifications is to have schools competing against each other with approximately the same opportunities to field teams from similar populations.

But we should also be more open and honest about the success that some teams have had historically. Some teams have succeeded from BOTH quality programs within a system that affords them inequitable advantages—again by no fault of the school but by the failures of the system to insure equity.

Ultimately, these inequities make a mockery of the classification system and allow only the appearance of fairness.

Again, why do we have classifications? To level the playing field.

I think it also perfectly fair to ask that those schools benefiting from advantages speak up for equity along with those schools who feel disadvantaged. It would be an act of honor suitable for educators to model for those children we claim to be teaching.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Things have changed..magnet schools..I don't think that No Child Left Behind is bringing in the soccer players..With any electric bill a child can go to most any school and we all know this is happening..We just choose to look the other way..
For me..It was never about it's unfair because B.E. has no lines but this is a reality and we can twist it anyway you want..It's still an advantage over everyone else but AM..And I guess it's unfair to Barnwell because B.E. will always be in their way..Never looked at it that way..
It's competition for me and as I posted before the girls scored 130 goals and gave up 16..In the 09 season they scored 127 goals and gave up 10..Folks, this is not competition..I have to believe that the parents and coaches would rather play somewhere else..SCISA has just as many strong teams or competitive teams as 2A..With no attendence lines..In fairness to others this is where they should be..
Wando does not get alot of competition in their region but they are on the same playing field when it comes to the rules..
This team is 4A material and should play against that type of competition every game..This would make them better than they already are..
Why do people hate B.E.? Most that posts on here are not from the lowcountry so I can only guess that it's the private school beating up on the 2A schools thing..
As far as the lowcountry..I don't think most care and our soccer coverage in our papers are nill to none.. Only Wando and B.E. get any love there..We need to classify schools on ability to compete and not school size when it comes to soccer..If this would happen..I think all this talk would go away..

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Level playing field in 2A?

How about location, location, location?

If your school lies within 15 miles of the largest soccer complex in South Carolina (owned by the most successful youth soccer club in the state), should your high school soccer team should be bumped up in classification?

Woodruff vs. Andrew Jackson? A level playing field? I've been to both of these schools......night and day!

You have to believe that Woodruff has a competitive advantage over "rural schools" like AJ and Barnwell.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard