Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Huskies set sights on championship
Charlotte Observer
February 25, 2011
by Jay Edwards
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/02/25/2089925/huskies-set-sights-on-championship.html

Click on "Sweet 16" for the Charlotte Observer Sweet 16 Preseason Poll.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Revised schedule for the 5th Annual Fort Mill Invitational High School Girls Soccer Tournament, sponsored by Wachovia.

March 18 - 20, 2011 at Manchester Meadows – Rock Hill, South Carolina

Friday, March 18
MM 1 – 5:00 PM – South Mecklenburg vs Northwestern
MM 2 – 5:00 PM – Clover vs First Presbyterian Day
MM 1 – 6:45 PM – Forsyth Country Day vs Ashley Ridge
MM 2 – 6:45 PM – AC Reynolds vs Marvin Ridge
MM 1 – 8:30 PM – Porter Ridge vs Nation Ford
MM 2 – 8:30 PM – Charlotte Catholic vs Fort Mill

Saturday, March 19
MM 1 - 8:00 AM - Fort Mill Middle vs Gold Hill Middle
MM 2 - 8:00 AM - Springfield Middle vs Oakridge Middle
MM 1 – 10:00 AM – Ashley Ridge vs Rock Hill
MM 2 – 10:00 AM – Westminster Catawba Christian vs Forsyth Country Day
MM 1 – 12:00 PM – First Presbyterian Day vs Lexington
MM 2 – 12:00 PM – Nation Ford vs Mooresville
MM 1 – 2:00 PM – Stratford Academy vs Covenant Day
MM 2 – 2:00 PM – Hough vs Clover
MM 1 – 4:00 PM – Rock Hill vs Olympic
MM 2 – 4:00 PM – Fort Mill vs Providence
MM 1 – 6:00 PM – Weddington vs Charlotte Catholic
MM 2 – 6:00 PM – Lexington vs Crest
MM1 – 8:00 PM – Marvin Ridge vs Stratford Academy
MM2 – 8:00 PM – Northwestern vs Cuthbertson

Sunday, March 20 (Blue Division)
MM 1 – 10:00 AM - # 7 vs # 8
MM 2 – 10:00 AM - # 5 vs # 6
MM 1 – 12:00 PM - # 3 vs # 4
MM 2 – 12:00 PM - # 1 vs # 2 (Championship Match)

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
(Players) gear up for the Fort Mill Invitational
The (Rock Hill) Herald
March 17, 2011
by Karl Lyles

http://www.heraldonline.com/2011/03/17/2916431/runners-gear-up-for-fort-mill.html

bench
bench
Once again the (Ft. Mill)Herald shows it's colors. Always about the Yeller' Jackets. Hello...People...Ft. Mill is not THE team to beat in this area (and no it's DEFINITELY not NW either), that would be Clover. Sorry Jacket fans the fact is that your 3A now and not even the best in that. Yes you can say that Clover only beat you in PK's but the reality of it is that if it wasn't for outstanding individual plays by a senior defender and your goalie(Sorry don't know their names but if I did they'd get their proper praises) it probably would have been more like 3-0. The other truth is that your supposed time of possession was greatly aided by the calling of the referees in the second half. Say what you want, I was there and know that FM got too many calls their way that either A) shouldn't have been called or B)allowed to keep Clover pinned in their half. I watched as FM D's were all over the back of Clover F and no call while in the 2nd half on a 50/50 at midfield...surprise.. foul Clover. If the Ft. Mill Herald wants to interview someone about their chances then maybe it should be the 2010 Conference Champions, CLOVER and interview FM about how to beat them (Clover) this weekend.

The only way is all the way!
I
throw in
throw in
I
I wish the Viking cup had more teams from outside the SC area like this tournament.

"Duh,WINNING."
brace
brace
Your funny, of course it is all about FM, it is their tour event and they won it last year! If Clover wants the credit/writeup step up and host/win one.

As for the game and the calls, you could ask fans from either side and they will point out bad calls against their side. I saw the reffing all day and thought it was even for the most part, by that I mean just as bad and good both ways. I did think the refs let it get to rough but hey that's HS soccer not club, and I would say the Clover Fwd (#24 I think) gave along with what she got just fine without the calls going either way. It was just as bad on the other end where the FM fwds got hammered quite often too.
On the score I think both team play very hard and got solid goals, the FM score was a well earned one on one after a great pass where the fwd beat the keeper; period. The Clover goal was one of the better bent shots I have seen in a girls game she hooked it so hard, IMHO the FM keeper clearly could have blocked it out (she had her hands up then pulled them down), the keeper thought it was going away and then it sliced right inside of the far post. (at least at my angle thats how it looked)
You should also take some credit for your defender saving that header which beat your keeper (who was great by the way), if the def does not clear that at the last sec there would have been no PK's.
Clover won so they were the better team that day but hey we get another shot in a few weeks lets see how that goes before we crown someone champs of the area, it could be Clover, but I would not do it on the strength of a pk shoot out.
Good luck this weekend, who knows maybe that meeting can happen even sooner????????

Last edited by The Chief; 03/17/11 09:18 PM.
A
kick off
kick off
A
Wow, even for the most part??? I don't think so......especially the jv games and the varsity girls (did not see the boys) Clover varsity got a yellow card on our defender #10 for her saying she didn't kick out the ball to the ref??? Oh and by the way if our forward #24 sneezed the wrong way she got the whistle blown on her.

As far as the write up goes, it is ALWAYS about Fort Mill. When Clover beat them last year, NOTHING in the paper. Again this year, when Clover won at Fort Mill for the 1st time in 8 years, nothing but the box score........

I will give you I was impressed with Fort Mill's defense, but I agree with Manu........there are other teams out there this year that are as just as good and better and hope the Herald recognizes that but I won't hold my breath.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Anybody & ManUfan,

Just to set the record straight, Fort Mill and Clover were Region 3 4A co-champions in 2010. Good luck this year as you strive for your first outright region championship. You have a good team, I'm sure you will do well, but Northwestern and Spartanburg will not be pushovers.

Best of luck this weekend, you have some very tough games on Friday and Saturday. Be sure to keep it all in perspective. The region title is most important.......and make sure you are firing on all cylinders come May.

bench
bench
Actually just to set the record straight for you Hurst, Clover was THE III/IV Champion. You can think what you want BUT the fact is the Clover won it outright on tiebreaker. Whether you chose to accept that or not is your choice but it is a matter of fact. If the roles were reversed I strongly believe you would be defending your position. Yes it was a close race but there was only one champ not two. That's why there are rules in place to settle who is the champ. I don't see anywhere in the SCHSL handbook about co-champs. In regards to NW and Sptnbrg I agree with you on the latter but not the former. IMHO NW is not on Clovers level. Last year @ NW they (NW/Cesar) put us on a what I'd generously call an 8v8 size field to negate our speed adv. and played...I'll kindly call, aggressive. Nothing has probably changed. What I'd like to know from what I hear is how can 2 girls, who are neighbors play on different teams? 1 on NW the other on RH..kinda makes you wonder.

The only way is all the way!
brace
brace
Well like I said fans would see it different depending on where they sit. Questioning/aruging individual calls tends to lead no where. On the JV games, they were no where as close to being as competitive as the varsity games. The girls score may have been 1-0 but that was the only close thing about it. The Clover girls barely threatened the FM keeper, maybe twice or thrice in the entire game and even then the FM defenders were right there to clear it if necessary. The boys game was also a matter of one team controlling the game and the other responding to constant attacks. In both those games the reffing did not give an advantage to FM it was the level of play and control of the ball. Like I said though were you sat may have made it look different.

On the newspaper, as fas as I know we (FM) do not have a staff member on the editorial board. Maybe FM has more suscribers to the Herald so they figure they should make FM happy to keep circulation up!

On the D I am sure the girls would be happy to hear that especially the one who played center defender because the regular starting center was not available for the game. Clover's D was also excellent and as I said before the keeper had an exceptional game, very good grabs, including several booming punts you would not expect from a smaller keeper like her.

Good luck this weekend.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard