Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
RR... I will take exception to one of your statements

"High school football doesn't cost $500 to $2000 dollars to play in the off-season if a player wants to be the best on his high school team. He simply hits the weight room, trains, goes to summer and spring drills, works hard, and gets better. Little to no cost incurred."

Specifically the last entry. Football has little or no cost because it is subsidized by the same people who shell out 2k for club soccer. Or by the general public who pay taxes to the school district but whose kids never get the benefit of participation.

HS head soccer coach stipend =$2000
Football head coach stipend ~ 50k (assuming the other half is AD salary)

CID will tell you ...

I have no issues with your argument regarding the regions just the statement that football is inexpensive, in fact it is one of the most expensive sports

Last edited by futbol(soccer); 05/12/10 03:30 PM.
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

RR... I will take exception to one of your statements

"High school football doesn't cost $500 to $2000 dollars to play in the off-season if a player wants to be the best on his high school team. He simply hits the weight room, trains, goes to summer and spring drills, works hard, and gets better. Little to no cost incurred."

Specifically the last entry. Football has little or no cost because it is subsidized by the same people who shell out 2k for club soccer. Or by the general public who pay taxes to the school district but whose kids never get the benefit of participation.

HS head soccer coach stipend =$2000
Football head coach stipend ~ 50k (assuming the other half is AD salary)

CID will tell you ...

I have no issues with your argument regarding the regions just the statement that football is inexpensive, in fact it is one of the most expensive sports

That is a terrible, terrible make believe statistic about the salaries. That's like saying:

Soccer coach getting 25k to coach soccer (other half to teach).

I'd just assume you not post any stats if you're going make them up as absurd as that. You're inferiority complex of football has been well stated in the past. RR was discussing offseason training for high school. Read it again if you missed it. What does it cost to use an all sports weight room in the summer? What does it cost to run on a preexisting field on campus? Focus.

F
goal
goal
F
futbol,

My point was that it doesn't cost football PLAYERS money to participate and get better. I understand that the community of tax payers funds the school, etc.

If it didn't cost soccer PLAYERS money to train in the off-season, the roles would be reversed.

Soccer would become the opiate of the masses, like in so many other nations.

C
kick off
kick off
C
Trust me! There are some coaches that work full time at the school and coach high school soccer that dont even make 25k

C
kick off
kick off
C
JAK and others I believe are missing the main point: this is the south carolina HIGH SCHOOL league not the south carolina SOCCER league.. the HSL must look at what is best across the board for not only every sport, but every school, and every kid! It is easy for every person on this board to disagree and that is because everyone on this board is wanting to put soccer first. As a high school football coach, I understand that 4A is divided into to divisions, BUT that is because of the major size difference between the top schools in 4A and bottom in 4A size wise.. Why don't they separate other division or even sports besides football: money. As a teacher and coach of three sports I think I have a pretty good pulse on the beat of hs athletics (not just one sport's perspective... I want every sport to be available to kids and have kids at various schools have chances for success.. But overall, when you look at multiple factors such as: every sport, geography, academics/trave, etc the way that schools are currently divided (based on size) is undoubtedly the best way...

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Coach,

I don't understand your post. My question has nothing to do with fairness or other sports. My question is....why do you have to have one way of doing things that every sport has to fit into?

Why can you not bracket different sports in different regions?

If there is a benefit to the kids and doesn't add cost...why not?

I never understood the two divisions in 4A for football. Why not simply call the top 16 schools 5A, in terms of playoffs.

We're kind of isolated up here in the YC. I would favor a region that inlcuded Lancaster, York, Clover, the 3 RK schools and the 2 FM schools. When you get to playoffs the 4A schools go their way and the 3A schools go theirs. That way you keep local rivalries, minimize travel, etc.

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Cal...or you can have a football coach, at your school, that doesn't teach make 95K plus for just coaching and hanging around the weight room!

Not that it will help alleviate the blow out 1st rounders but why can't they seed 4A like other divisions? Add some flavor to the match ups.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Little E

First good luck in the playoffs strong Tbreds this year

Secondly as you state my views are well known. just took exception with that one statement.

Thirdly...maybe your neck of the woods is easier but in our area (I believe) the weight room and some other school facilities are not open to any athlete. Not saying permission would not be granted, just saying it is not open and it is not advetised as available unless of course you are with the football team.

I understand the importance of alingment and ease of transportation and therefore believe that although not perfect the current system will stay...

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Coach,

I don't understand your post. My question has nothing to do with fairness or other sports. My question is....why do you have to have one way of doing things that every sport has to fit into?

Why can you not bracket different sports in different regions?

You can. There are several instances of "High School A will compete in region X in every sport except for football; High School A's football team will compete in Region Y."

I've got good news and bad news...
C
kick off
kick off
C
My only argument is that history has told us that the SCHSL will not make decisions unless they are across the board... That's all I am saying... It isn't even worth talking about because it won't happen unless the HSL thinks it is fair for all sports..

I actually like this, I guess I am a traditionalist in that I think the way of doing things should be uniform for all schools, divisions, sports, etc...

Why do we group in regions? Minimize travel!!! It saves money while providing a level playing field (all sports considered).. While some schools may excel in soccer, baseball, basketball..they might not in football, golf, volleyball..So in the eyes of the HSL all is good-because that school does compete in championships - just not maybe in the sport you happen to like!

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard