Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
world cup
world cup
Quote:

TL Hanna - 4
Fort Mill - 2

WOW, wouldn't have thought this, with FM returning 21 players (from a state semi-final team), having double digit seniors and a hand picked coach. Interesting!

AA,

Six posts and your first five concerned the SC Rush. Wow! I saw this coming.

News flash....Pittsburgh Penguins lost last night too. Defending champs. Everybody back. Sid the Kid.

Wow!.....can't win them all.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
W
goal kick
goal kick
W
Quote:

[quote "but that call was obvious. Ball played into the box from the left side to the feet of a HH forward in front of the goal (near post) and a Dreher defender came from behind her and into her body - knocking her forward and off the ball. Unfortunate timing and placement, but a clear foul that denied a scoring opportunity."

Then that should have been a red card, right? Was any card issued?

As exhibited in the playoff/championship games last year, some high school refs are not aware of this rule. Or is this one of those rules that don't apply to HS? Coach P???

bench
bench
no problem dorman soccer!
and Celtic 9, Dorman soccer was right, the parents were fine just some of those dorman boys (and boyfriends, i think) were a little rowdy but who can blame em. everyone is but usually you just can't hear them and right about good support, it's hard to come by for girls soccer so you take what you can get; at least thats how it goes most of the time.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

TL Hanna - 4
Fort Mill - 2

WOW, wouldn't have thought this, with FM returning 21 players (from a state semi-final team), having double digit seniors and a hand picked coach. Interesting!

I thought the same thing. Sometimes you get what you deserve.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Quote:

[quote "but that call was obvious. Ball played into the box from the left side to the feet of a HH forward in front of the goal (near post) and a Dreher defender came from behind her and into her body - knocking her forward and off the ball. Unfortunate timing and placement, but a clear foul that denied a scoring opportunity."

As exhibited in the playoff/championship games last year, some high school refs are not aware of this rule. Or is this one of those rules that don't apply to HS? Coach P???

Not enough info given to make a red card determination. A foul maybe, PK maybe...a card of any color doubtful (based on the description of events).

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Quote:

Quote:

[quote "Unfortunate timing and placement, but a clear foul that denied a scoring opportunity."

Not enough info given to make a red card determination. A foul maybe, PK maybe...a card of any color doubtful (based on the description of events).

Post said the foul "denied a scoring opportunity." That should have been a red card unless HS rules don't play it that way.

A
bench
bench
A
Hurst ... You are so smart, congratulations!

Not a news flash, but good try. I follow the sports world and a saw the Penguins lose. Great analogy though!

SOS said it best, "Sometimes you get what you deserve."

L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[quote "Unfortunate timing and placement, but a clear foul that denied a scoring opportunity."

Post said the foul "denied a scoring opportunity." That should have been a red card unless HS rules don't play it that way.

Wait a minute, my understanding of the rule is that if the last defender commits a foul inside the penalty area that denies a scoring opportunity, then a PK and red card ensue. I did not say that it was the last defender that took away the scoring opportunity. The keeper was in the goal, but the foul by the defender took away the opportunity to take a shot. My reason for saying that the foul took away a scoring opportunity was to point out that it was not a meaningless foul away from the play.

Sorry if my description was confusing.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wait a minute, my understanding of the rule is that if the last defender commits a foul inside the penalty area that denies a scoring opportunity, then a PK and red card ensue. I did not say that it was the last defender that took away the scoring opportunity. The keeper was in the goal, but the foul by the defender took away the opportunity to take a shot. My reason for saying that the foul took away a scoring opportunity was to point out that it was not a meaningless foul away from the play.

Sorry if my description was confusing.

OK, I don't do HS so it may be different. But in us soccer league play the defender must deny a goal or an OBVIOUS goal scoring opportunity. NOTE the key word obvious. So if in the opinion of the ref it was not an obvious goal scoring opportunity there would be no red card.

Here is a clarification from US Soccer. Hope it helps clear up things.

Law 12 provides that a defender whose violation of the Law prevents a goal or denies an obvious
goal-scoring opportunity must be sent off and shown the red card. The "professional foul" which
is taken in a cynical attempt to prevent opponents from scoring requires a quick, firm response by
the referee. Such misconduct by the defender overshadows the severity of the foul itself.
In order for a player to be sent off for denying an "obvious goal-scoring opportunity," four
elements must be present:
• Number of Defenders -- not more than one defender between the foul and the goal, not
counting the defender who committed the foul
• Distance to goal -- the closer the foul is to the goal, the more likely it is an obvious goalscoring
opportunity
• Distance to ball -- the attacker must have been close enough to the ball at the time of the
foul to have continued playing the ball
• Direction of play -- the attacker must have been moving toward the goal at the time the
foul was committed
If any element is missing, there can be no send off for denying an obvious goal-scoring
opportunity. Further, the presence of each of these elements must be "obvious" in order for the
send off to be appropriate under this provision of Law 12
However, the foul might, by itself, warrant a card -- a caution for unsporting behavior, for
example, if the challenge was reckless or a send off if the challenge was violent. If the foul by the
defender is both violent and qualifies as an obvious goal-scoring opportunity offense misconduct,
the referee should include both facts in the game report but must only list one official reason for
the red card.
Referees are reminded that offenses which deny a goal-scoring opportunity are not limited to
those punishable by a direct free kick or penalty kick but may include technical fouls for which the
restart is an indirect free kick.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
hat-trick
hat-trick
The 2009-2010 NFHS (high school) rule book is ambiguous on this. Unless I'm really missing something, denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity is not included as one of the offenses for which a player can be sent off (red card) in Rule 12, Section 8, Article 3. However, the rule book includes a comparison between the rules of NFHS, NCAA, & FIFA. In this comparison on page 77, the NFHS Ejection- Reasons (Red Card) include the following: "foul against an opponent who is moving toward goal with an obvious opportunity to score". I have no idea why this was excluded from the list of Red Card offenses in Rule 12.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard