Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
S
Dreher is playing at 6p today in Hilton Head. OK before I rant, I realize that playing it this early gets them home earlier in case they have AP/EOC testing tomorrow; however ...

Seems HHI decided to make it at 6p and inform our coach that if we need to change it, let him know - problem is the HHI coach didn't return multiple emails, etc., trying to see if we could move to 7p. Seems we have a few players taking AP/EOC exams and will not get out until well after 1p, and another taking a tour of USC today at 1p.

Yep, the team will probably be there before 6p, but without a break along the way and stepping off the bus to play. Seems I remember you EARN home field, but have to give the road team consideration for a start time. What a way to play a big playoff match for a berth in the state quarterfinals at stake.

I don't know what is going to happen, but I hope the Blue Devils kick butt and take names. Go Dreher!

DISCLAIMER: Info for this post was received from Dreher sources, but a call to the AD today by this poster went to voicemail and is yet to be returned.

Corner Kick
Online Content
Corner Kick
Stop your complaining!!! We're Talking about the Playoffs!! Are You Kidding Me!! Playoffs!

L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
Waka is right, but I understand a parent's concern.

I would ask that you check your sources. Wayne Quinlan has been doing this for a pretty long time and I have never known him to not return multiple e-mails, etc, or refuse a reasonable request by another coach (and delaying the start of a match for academic reasons is a reasonable request). I'd check with your coach and see how or when these requests were made.

Goal Kick
Goal Kick
Who cares about AP/EOC testing? At the end of the day our state will still be 50th when it comes to education. So what if your kid is a smart guy in a dumb state!

The real question is where is the kid's priorities about taking a tour of USC today knowing darn well that it's the playoffs. Of course, maybe he wasn't expecting to be playing today.

The only consideration I would have made for Dreher traveling is to keep the start time at 7 or 7:30 pm so that the Columbia kids could stay in school most of the day and just drive the 2 1/2 hours after school. Really not that difficult. Say the game takes 2 hours and the drive back after a quick fast food stop (or a prepared coach to have subs, sandwiches, etc., for the trip home) and it's around midnight. They do it all the time in other sports so why should soccer be any different?

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
Goal
Goal
Quote:

Who cares about AP/EOC testing? At the end of the day our state will still be 50th when it comes to education. So what if your kid is a smart guy in a dumb state!

The real question is where is the kid's priorities about taking a tour of USC today knowing darn well that it's the playoffs. Of course, maybe he wasn't expecting to be playing today.

The only consideration I would have made for Dreher traveling is to keep the start time at 7 or 7:30 pm so that the Columbia kids could stay in school most of the day and just drive the 2 1/2 hours after school. Really not that difficult. Say the game takes 2 hours and the drive back after a quick fast food stop (or a prepared coach to have subs, sandwiches, etc., for the trip home) and it's around midnight. They do it all the time in other sports so why should soccer be any different?

I get tired of people bashing the educational system in SC when they don't know what they are talking about, even in jest. Here are some points that show that education in SC is on the rise:

---For the first time in history, South Carolina students are scoring at or near the national average on nationally and internationally standardized tests.

---South Carolina’s 28-point gain in SAT scores leads the nation over the past ten years among states where more than half of the graduating seniors take the test. South Carolina also is one of only a few states that have increased high school seniors’ scores on the ACT college entrance exam over the past five years despite dramatically greater numbers of test-takers.

---The national report card “Quality Counts 2010,” published by the respected magazine Education Week, ranks South Carolina No. 1 in the nation for improving teacher quality and No. 7 for its academic standards and accountability system.

---“Diplomas Count 2009,” another national report card published by Education Week, says that South Carolina improved its on-time high school graduation rate faster than any state in the nation between 1996 and 2006.

---The National Council on Teacher Quality rates South Carolina tops in the nation for identifying and retaining effective teachers and dismissing ineffective teachers.

---The phase-in of full-day kindergarten has dramatically improved school readiness, with the biggest improvements made by minority students and students from low-income families.

---Education Trust’s “Education Watch 2009” reports that South Carolina’s minority and lower-income students have raised their scores and reduced achievement gaps on standardized reading and math tests and that achievement gaps in South Carolina are smaller than the national average.

---The state-created South Carolina Virtual School Program enrolls 5,000 students in more than 60 courses only two years after initial legislative funding. In November 2009, the Center for Digital Education ranked South Carolina No. 2 in the nation for its policy-making efforts aimed at improving online learning opportunities.

---“Leaders and Laggards,” a 2009 U.S. Chamber of Commerce report card measuring key indicators of educational innovation, ranked South Carolina No. 18 in the nation.

---Seven independent national studies have cited South Carolina’s academic standards as among the most rigorous in the nation. Most recently, the education research organization Education Trust gave top marks to only three states: South Carolina, Maine and Massachusetts.

---Charleston’s Academic Magnet High was named as the nation’s top-ranking magnet school in US News World Report’s 2009 listing of America’s Best High Schools. In a comparison of each state’s total number of gold, silver and bronze winners with its total number of high schools, South Carolina’s 22 winners earned the state an overall 18th national ranking.

---South Carolina ranks third in the nation in the number of teachers (6,499) certified by the prestigious National Board for Professional Teaching Standards.

Saying we're 50th is like saying France is a great military power...it just ain't the truth.

Brace
Brace
Soccer Parent,

I would have preferred to respond by email or PM, but since your profile does not supply either, here goes. First, congrats to Dreher on a well-earned win and good luck.

Next, I can forward you my email to my AD dated Wed May 12 at 8:00 AM where I state my preference for a 7:00 start. The decision to play at 6:00 was made between the two schools administrators (AD's). That was based on testing and getting back earlier that night. I did respond to your coach's email on Wed at 4:37 PM. I can forward that to you as well. I did receive some emails from your coach. But, I was not in school Thurs to respond and, as I said, had resolved the issue Wed at 4:37. Your 'disclaimer' notwithstanding, you have jumped to a conclusion here without knowing the facts and, in the process, insulted someone who you do not even know.
But then, why let the facts get in the way? Ridiculous?

Last edited by Wayne; 05/14/10 06:10 PM.

The Weather Is Here. Wish You Were Beautiful.
S
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
S
Wayne -

I can say that once you hear both sides, things even out, and I assumed they would a little and am glad you responded.

What we have here, however, is two schools whose AD's do very little to keep their soccer coaches informed (why am I surprised??). We got an email from our coach at 8p Wednesday stating he was waiting on word from you to see if we can move the game back (obviously he never got your 4:37p email). There were emails sent from our team mom to all & replied-all by our coach Thursday morning saying the match is at 6p, but we're still waiting to hear from HHI to see if things would be moved back. It wasn't until about 11a when they finally decided that since they hadn't heard anything, we'll have to pull the boys out early and go. One boy had to reschedule his EOC exam on the fly.

Yes, there always are both sides to the story and being in the communications biz, I know that relying on email communication in situations like this is HORRIBLE. That's no one's fault - it's the way it is today and I hate it. Picking up a phone - either/both sides - would have resolved this early Wednesday morning. Not everyone has smart phones or blackberries and can access email 24/7.

As it turns out, we had one player drive down with a parent, the others slide on the bus just in time, and not withstanding, played a decent game. Game-wise, it was very entertaining and congrats to your team on a great season.

Again, thanks for the feedback and I guess lessons learned are: 1. Take a step back before posting on a public board (me - unlike others, I don't think these things should be for venting and I did); and, 2. Picking up a phone to discuss something that would take 1 minute to resolve is preferable when in 30 hours wasn't.

Thanks, coach. Great season and solid effort yesterday.

Brace
Brace
I have no problem with the way my AD handled the situation. He is the best I have ever worked with. He did keep me informed. Juggling 20-30 sports is not easy. Thanks for understanding.

The Weather Is Here. Wish You Were Beautiful.
S
bench
bench
S
Not to be the negative nancy because I am fan of Dreher but it seems like the only thing I ever here on the boards from Dreher people is complaining. Be thankful you are in it. You are a good team that gets no respect so enjoy the fact that you are playing, and playing well. If you asked these kids right now with 2 weeks left in school if a game time matters to them, they would say no. Same question to the coaches, no. To the parents, should be no. What happens between AD's and coaches is not really anyone's business except them. They will let you know what they want you to know. Let them do the work, your job is to support your child, the coach, and the team.

Not ripping you, I understand you are a concerned parent but nothing worth taking to the boards.

S
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
S
Patrol - didn't realize you were in charge of telling others what to post and not to post. I know my job ... learn yours and butt out ... you have no idea what our boys, coaches and ADs and us are/were thinking so just drop it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard