Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Is it possible noone filled out a nomination form for ...

Not possible. It's a great award for Stephanie, congratulations to her.

I
goal
goal
I
We played Mauldin, Dorman, all the rest of Region II, NW, Wren. She was the only player that scared me, with what she could do by herself. Others could do x,y,z. She was freckin good. I know nothing of the lower state, but, I doubt anyone knows everybody.

R
throw in
throw in
R
I'm not sure how the whole thing works. As Stephanie's coach
I received an email from Gatorade stating that she had been nominated for POY. It included the form to be completed. I along with my AD gathered all the information and sent it in. I received a few more email asking for more details I sent all that in. then a few days later received in email she had won. i have no idea who all in the state received nominations or how many of them completed the forms, but I do feel Stephanie is one of the top girls in the state and deserving of the award, evidently a lot of other poeple feel the same.

world cup
world cup
I've never seen Hillcrest play so obviously I have never seen Stephanie against high school competition. I saw her play a lot this past year though. I saw her play three or four matches at the CESA College Combine where she was the best player on her "sophomore team" that won all of their matches against teams comprised primarily of juniors.

I also watched her at a USC player identification camp where she stood out among many sophomores and juniors that the Lady Gamecocks had brought to campus for a weekend workout.

A very, very good player. Congrats to Stephanie, her family, and to you too Ramsdad.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
E
bench
bench
E
How does she win sc player of the year on a 11-10 team. Not saying she is not a good player but what about a girl at wondo whose the top team in 4a.

But congrats to Stephanie

world cup
world cup
Vision,

There are a lot of very good players out there and Wando has a bunch of them, a couple of sisters come to mind real fast. No doubt they warrant consideration as well. But they have more help in Mount Pleasant than our POY has in Simpsonville.

How do you judge??? I don't know. Tough call.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
corner kick
corner kick
Great point Hurst! It is an individual award and not a team award.

B
throw in
throw in
B
I believe there were more out there that were not considered. So you tell me if you are a standout and you have too much of a good thing, that is not necessarily a plus? Sometimes I think we base our opinions on other leagues besides the high school one. I know it is hard to differenciate but we are talking about JUST high school. I have witnessed tremendous talent that I am sure was not considered. OH well, such is life.....

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

I believe there were more out there that were not considered. So you tell me if you are a standout and you have too much of a good thing, that is not necessarily a plus? Sometimes I think we base our opinions on other leagues besides the high school one. I know it is hard to differenciate but we are talking about JUST high school. I have witnessed tremendous talent that I am sure was not considered. OH well, such is life.....

Actually, the GPOY selection is not based just on high school. However, at this time one prerequisite to being considered is the player must be a member of a high school team. Those involved in making the selection at Gatorade take into consideration players' high school and club experience/achievements as well as academic achievements and community service. While soccer prowess is of course the number one parameter considered, given players of equal or near equal prowess on the field Gatorade's selection of one ahead of the other may be based on greater community service or higher academic achievement.

I hope that I am not misquoting Mr. Konecky at Gatorade.

B
throw in
throw in
B
Thank you! I think that was a great explaination. I did not know the qualifications. Thanks again!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard