Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
What jumped out to me was that, for 4A/3A girls, only five defenders out of 36 players were selected.

That's not a statement about any of the names selected. But it seems that a team on the field is usually made up of 36% defenders, but the All-State selection only selected 13% defenders. So it seems, just based on those numbers, that there is a heavy bias towards offense and points, not necessarily impact.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

What jumped out to me was that, for 4A/3A girls, only five defenders out of 36 players were selected.

That's not a statement about any of the names selected. But it seems that a team on the field is usually made up of 36% defenders, but the All-State selection only selected 13% defenders. So it seems, just based on those numbers, that there is a heavy bias towards offense and points, not necessarily impact.

After looking at most of the scores this season it seems about right that the play makers took home most of the All-State honors. There were only a handful of schools with a shut down defense. Anyway, congratulations to all HS players that worked hard and played for there respective schools.

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Quote:

After looking at most of the scores this season it seems about right that the play makers took home most of the All-State honors. There were only a handful of schools with a shut down defense.

And it's also probably normal in all sports at all levels. Just one of this things that jumped out at me as I looked down the list.

Quote:

Anyway, congratulations to all HS players that worked hard and played for there respective schools.

Ditto!

M
Mary Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
M
Originally, I was just trying to make my point about the fact that the Region IV and V coaches did not bother to show up or get an alternate for this VERY important ALL-STATE committee meeting. Now upon further investigation, I do have some additional points to make. Dorman Soccer: you said that additional nominees were brought to you at the meeting. The deadline for nominations to be in was May 13, at 6pm. The 34 nominees posted on the website SCSoccer.com was posted as of 5/15/10 @ 12:53pm. So if those 10 additional players were added that morning, and were in by the deadline, why were they not posted by 5/15/10 @ 12:53pm when the last update was done. Also,
I am sorry but there are plenty of schools that have multiple players worthy of making an All-State team. To have 3 schools (WANDO-5, MAULDIN-4, and DORMAN-3 take 2/3 of the allotted players for the All-State team is just ridiculous...oh, and by the way, those players had coaches that were on the committee, and showed up. So, for you out there that don't understand the importance of having someone show up to give some "insight" as to why certain players should be on this team, that should make it perfectly clear. There is NO WAY that a coach in Wando, Dorman, or Mauldin is going to know that your player in Dutch Fork, Irmo, Spring Valley, etc is worthy of being on the All-State team. They may have heard a name or two, and even had a coach call and speak about a player, but when it comes down to choosing one of their players, or one in a Region where there is no one to speak up ( because they are not there)for them, there is no doubt which one they will choose. There are just too many players in the State for every coach to know about. Yes, it is an honor to be nominated...blah, blah, blah, but it is more of an honor to be chosen. Always has, and always will be! I hope everyone that reads this is getting the message, and that if nothing can be done to correct this year's voting, at least let's not let this happen again next year....especially, you Region IV and V coaches.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
Kind of interesting that the out of town coaches bothered to attend the meeting and not the local ones.

S
goal
goal
S
Mary, I feel your pain but after going over the list a couple times everyone chosen was deserving of the award. The deadline issue I do have a major problem with. But I will say one more time the girls on the list are all very deserving and congratulations to players, coaches and parents.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Sweet,
I don't think it's a matter of who was chosen but how they are chosen..

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
None from Stratford, James Island, or West Ashley??? Congratulations to all players, coaches, and parents!!

Last edited by Bonz; 05/17/10 12:14 PM.
S
throw in
throw in
S
The system may be flawed if it is so heavily dependent on an individual team's coach to nominate and be present at a meeting. Notice the lack of Eastside girls in the nomination list. Maybe next year they could do it similar to showcase tournaments or player id processes. It would require additional paper work and tracking but you would truly get the top players for the high school season identified. During the season a coach submits names/numbers of the opposing team who they felt were outstanding/all state material during the game. I would suspect by the end of the season you would have a list of a lot of repeat names identified by all different coaches. This would be the nomination list. The nomination committee could then narrow the group down from there but every player would have had an opportunity to be nominated if they played a game and the nomination would have been judged on the current high school season which I think is suppose to be the basis of the selection. The nomination committee could look at the data and the players whose names were chosen game after game by opponent coaches would likely truly be impact players. This would give the girls whose coach wasn't present or didn't do the paperwork to nominate a chance for the data to speak for itself. It would give the girls who maybe don't play club soccer and therefore have possibly more name recognition in the state an equal chance of being chosen.
I would guess Mary would be happy to volunteer to facilitate the paper work.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
If I were a coach at the meeting and walked away with three,four or five all state players..I don't know if I would be proud of myself or ashamed of what I done..I would like to think the latter..

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard