Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
hat-trick
hat-trick
scwame,
Region 4 & 5 AAAA players were nominated. It's just that none of those regions' coaches who were named to the committee showed up to represent those players' interests.

K
corner kick
corner kick
K
I agree with Mary's statement. It is not the fault of any of the coaches there. How are you suppose to vote on players you know nothing about except what the coach wrote in the comment section of the nomination form? You can't, so you then vote for all of the players that you have more knowledge of. It is the fault of the region representatives' for NOT SHOWING UP! That not only looks bad on themselves but the entire region. The ones that get punished for it are the girls that were nominated and a lot of them were All-State worthy. At least would be in the conversation. It is just poor representation of the regions that didn't show and would love to know WHY the coaches were not there??? If you have some come up, cool but make sure some one goes in your place.That way at least our girls would be supported. This affected a lot of girls and just hope there is some explanation that was more important than honoring our girls for all of their hard work all season long. Just Rubish

S
bench
bench
S
Obviously, there is a feeling that "some" of these girls should not be on the list. It is a shame that this list is now "tainted" by the "process" or "lack of a meaningful process" in this case.

All "tainted" except for the two that did not have a coach present...Hillcrest and Fort Mill. They made it on their own........ unless they too fall into the other large subset of the list... the CESA connection.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

None from Stratford, James Island, or West Ashley??? Congratulations to all players, coaches, and parents!!

Not sure a 9-11 Stratford team or James Island (outscored 20-0 by Wando) had any all-state players. Maybe all-region or all-Lowcountry, but not all-state.

Also, all this bickering about Irmo not getting any players picked makes me ask how "deserving" is a team that gets knocked out in the first round and finished fourth in their own region? Who from Irmo should have been all-state ahead of those selected? Why?

I don't know why some of the coaches in Columbia didn't show up, but another question is why aren't some the other coaches members. According to the http://www.scsoccer.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=126894&an=0&page=0#Post126894 link with SCHSSCA members, the only Irmo coaches registered are Mike Mauldin, Paul Armstrong, and Denny Sago. I believe Mauldin JV coached at DF this year and Armstrong isn't coaching. Sago is a boys asst. coach. I don't even see Phil Savitz listed, but that has to be a mistake. I don't see any Dutch Fork coaches listed either. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Victory Starts Here!
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
I have stayed quiet and let you vent so far but now you are crossing the line by claiming the girls on the team are not deserving and the list is tainted. NOTHING could be further from the truth. Every player on this list plays at the highest level in High School and club. We committed ourselves to picking the 18 best players in this state. Yes it is unfortunate that nobody from Regions 4 and 5 were there but the girls we picked very much deserved the honor. So go ahead and say anything else you want because it is a free country but I really don't want anybody to slam the girls on the team. I have seen most of them play first hand and they are special.

Quote:

Obviously, there is a feeling that "some" of these girls should not be on the list. It is a shame that this list is now "tainted" by the "process" or "lack of a meaningful process" in this case.

All "tainted" except for the two that did not have a coach present...Hillcrest and Fort Mill. They made it on their own........ unless they too fall into the other large subset of the list... the CESA connection.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Also, all this bickering about Irmo not getting any players picked...

Can you quote the bickering you are referring to? I don't see it in this thread.

Quote:

I don't know why some of the coaches in Columbia didn't show up, but another question is why aren't some the other coaches members. According to the http://www.scsoccer.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=126894&an=0&page=0#Post126894 link with SCHSSCA members..

The Region 4-AAAA and 5-AAAA representatives on the committee that did not attend the meeting (Lloyd, Johnson, King, & Lea) are on the SCHSSCA members list you referenced

Quote:

I don't see any Dutch Fork coaches listed either. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Mike Mauldin is a Dutch Fork coach who is on the list and he served on the All-Star games selection committee.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A

Again, the coaches present at the meeting voted for the players that they were most familiar with. Hillcrest as a member of Region 2 and Fort Mill as a member of Region 3 HAD representation at the meeting.
The biggest problem is that the coaches most familiar with the Columbia girls simply didn't bother to show up. This is a very sad statement when they were local and the out of town coaches made the effort on behalf of their regions.

world cup
world cup
You can knock the process, but you can't knock the girls that made the team.

You can express your disappointment with 12 of the 18 girls selected being from just three teams......but let's take a look at those three teams. Sure the coaches of those three teams were present, but those three schools have been absoultely dominant this year. Actually, those three schools have been dominant for the past three years.

Wando, Mauldin and Dorman haven't lost to anybody else in the state.......except eachother. You can criticize them for not "sharing/spreading the wealth", but you can't criticize them for not selecting the best players.

Stratford, James Island, West Ashley, Lexington, Dutch Fork, Irmo, Aiken, White Knoll......I'm not dissing you, and congratulations on fine seasons, but the three best players that didn't make the 4A All-State team, all might play for the Big 3.

Becca Lisson (Wando), Sarrah Tuggle (Mauldin) and Becca Miller (Dorman) would all get my vote ahead of anyone else added to the team.

The system isn't perfect, it's not even close to perfect. If the "Columbia Crew" showed up for the meeting, I'm not sure their players should have been chosen based on them "kicking and screaming". Do we want politics to decide who gets these honors?

There's got to be a better way, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
hat-trick
hat-trick
I don't feel that this is an issue of individual players that did or did not make the team. The issue is that over 250 student/athletes from Regions 4-AAAA and 5-AAAA did not have any representation at the meeting although two coaches from each of those regions were named to the committee.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Never slamed a single player..Are they deserving? I would say so..Are there players deserving that are not on the list..I would say so also..NO team should have three,four or five players represented with the talent out there..Don't look at what the teams have done..Look at what the players have done..It's the process that bothers me..When you look at those involved and those that are picked..We belittle the award because everyone knows how it is done..I don't think it was an accident that the list of coaches was listed after the players that were chosen..You want to do it this way? You think this is fair? One school..one player..Pick the best of the three or four..Is this fair? It's just as fair as the process is now.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard