Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#136638 05/17/10 11:28 AM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Rollie Sumwalt, good coach and great friend, has hung up the clipboard. The man has put in over 30 years all over the nation in many different sports. He took a mighty low Blue Ridge team and turned them into a competitor and yearly playoff team - a marvelous feat for anyone that knows the area. The man once traveled from his corner of the state during the middle of the week to Greenwood just to watch a game and show his support to the T-Breds. We'll miss him. His final accomplishment - Marissa Sumwalt was chosen to the AAA All State Team making her the first girl in school history to do so. Proud Coach, proud dad. Rollie, a few words if you will?

C
Goal
Goal
C
I had the privilege of hosting Rollie this year at Northwestern. His passion and competitiveness was reflected by his teams desire to win. I hope that after 30+ years I too can have the same affect on my teams. He is a great example of a mentor, teacher, and coach of this game we love. Thank you Rollie for all your contributions!

brace
brace
Too nice, you guys. I travelled to Greenwood to learn from you Michael, and I did. And Cesar, you have the seed for something special at NW, my friend.

I coached soccer to spend time with my kids. It is the easiest way to spend an entire evening with them when they are little, and it is sometimes the only way to spend time with them when they are in high school. My older children are really appreciative, and my younger aren't old enough to appreciate it yet but I hope they will. Marissa was the most talented and by far the most dedicated, but her older brother Vernon was a goalie on the first SC "Select" team and was unscored upon and undefeated one year. Fun to watch, and even more fun to coach.

The great thing is the thousands of kids you pick up along the way. My kids had it pretty good, but there are twenty who have it pretty bad for every one who has it made. I really enjoyed helping those kids, sitting and listening to their troubles and trying to help them get through stuff. I rarely went home from a practice without feeling lucky for what the Lord has given me. Too much, but very appreciated.

I really enjoyed this soccer website and the geniuses and knuckleheads that litter it. I have run into almost every one of them at a combine, game or something and they are all cool, all soccerheads. That's not a bad thing to be.

Good luck to you two, you deserve it. Michael, Cesar, you are welcome at the Sto (we'll call Ryan and CJ and Chass) and I will call you. I plan on being at NW watching my niece over the next 5 years, and am waiting for Cody's first game. My grandson Thomas Guerrero scored his first goal (4 yrs. old) Thursday night. It never ends.

Thanks, guys. I will probably stay on this website just to keep the loonies straight. You need the support, and I have your back.

Rollie

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
C
Coach
Coach
C
Rollie,

The soccer world has been better for a lot of young people for a lot of years with you in it...it's been my pleasure getting to know you. Stick around...we can still use the voice of wisdom and experience even speaking from retirement!

I've got good news and bad news...

Link Copied to Clipboard