Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#136740 05/18/10 09:33 AM
S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
Received an e-mail telling me I needed to look at the latest results and discussions - really fascinating stuff. I spent a fun hour last night reading - and since I don't have much time these days, it speaks well to the entertainment content of the board (I mean this sincerely.) Several notes.

As someone with no ties to anything related to youth soccer these days, I thought that the results of the U13/U14 matches were significant. I think that this speaks to the success that CUFC (honestly, I haven't kept up with all of the name changes - so substitute whatever acronym works best for you here) had in terms of its agreements with various local programs that have allowed it to tout the "we're the largest club in the state" meme. U13/U14 is in my mind an important age group - and I always thought that the entire hypocritical stupidity around "recruiting" was best exposed by the success/failure of clubs in this age group. So say what you want, I think that the poster who asked whether the "tide has turned" is asking the right question. Whether it has or not - and whether this is a one year anomaly or the start of a trend - is a fascinating and debatable question.

Successful youth soccer clubs are like successful anything else - success in and of itself tends to be hard to sustain because you get happy with what you're doing and you don't have that same drive for success. Whether this last state cup serves as a wake up call and strategies are changed or not is an interesting question.

The win/win in youth soccer is about driving more participation at its base - at the lowest level and youngest level of the sport. I think CUFC's work here is paying off - and I'd like to see other clubs focus on this as well.

As one other aside. I realize that I am completely ignorant in terms of identities on this message board (I had hundreds of posts with my full name on them on this board before I publicly changed my name), but I found the outing of Happy Daddy to be pretty fascinating. When I got the e-mail, I had to re-load all of the old posts to get my bearings - but once I did and read all of the accusations and criticisms of all things CESA (I'll never forget the question to the Heise's accusing them of having sold their soul to the devil!) - well, pretty fascinating.

I'll admit that I lack the moral and ethical flexibility to make a Krugman-esque leap to accusations of "intellectual incoherence" when people say things with which I simply disagree. Who am I to say - perhaps an accusation of intellectual incoherence is made from a subjective point of view and speaks more to the person's comprehension of the argument rather than the argument itself.

But then again one of my favorite quotes is Emerson's "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds." I'll admit to not having received the legal training to act as a contortionist when it comes to being a passionate advocate - regardless of fact - for the side with whom I have a relationship. Then again, I'm kind of glad I'm out of this - I'd hate to have that type of relationship, be posting on a message board behind an assumed name concerning rumors of children defecting to a program in which I was involved while simultaneously accusing the nefarious "others" of "recruiting."

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Good to read your comments again. I miss your posts, intellect, and insight. Don't be a stranger!

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Quote:

Received an e-mail telling me I needed to look at the latest results and discussions - really fascinating stuff. I spent a fun hour last night reading - and since I don't have much time these days, it speaks well to the entertainment content of the board (I mean this sincerely.) Several notes.

As someone with no ties to anything related to youth soccer these days, I thought that the results of the U13/U14 matches were significant. I think that this speaks to the success that CUFC (honestly, I haven't kept up with all of the name changes - so substitute whatever acronym works best for you here) had in terms of its agreements with various local programs that have allowed it to tout the "we're the largest club in the state" meme. U13/U14 is in my mind an important age group - and I always thought that the entire hypocritical stupidity around "recruiting" was best exposed by the success/failure of clubs in this age group. So say what you want, I think that the poster who asked whether the "tide has turned" is asking the right question. Whether it has or not - and whether this is a one year anomaly or the start of a trend - is a fascinating and debatable question.

Successful youth soccer clubs are like successful anything else - success in and of itself tends to be hard to sustain because you get happy with what you're doing and you don't have that same drive for success. Whether this last state cup serves as a wake up call and strategies are changed or not is an interesting question.

The win/win in youth soccer is about driving more participation at its base - at the lowest level and youngest level of the sport. I think CUFC's work here is paying off - and I'd like to see other clubs focus on this as well.

As one other aside. I realize that I am completely ignorant in terms of identities on this message board (I had hundreds of posts with my full name on them on this board before I publicly changed my name), but I found the outing of Happy Daddy to be pretty fascinating. When I got the e-mail, I had to re-load all of the old posts to get my bearings - but once I did and read all of the accusations and criticisms of all things CESA (I'll never forget the question to the Heise's accusing them of having sold their soul to the devil!) - well, pretty fascinating.

I'll admit that I lack the moral and ethical flexibility to make a Krugman-esque leap to accusations of "intellectual incoherence" when people say things with which I simply disagree. Who am I to say - perhaps an accusation of intellectual incoherence is made from a subjective point of view and speaks more to the person's comprehension of the argument rather than the argument itself.

But then again one of my favorite quotes is Emerson's "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds." I'll admit to not having received the legal training to act as a contortionist when it comes to being a passionate advocate - regardless of fact - for the side with whom I have a relationship. Then again, I'm kind of glad I'm out of this - I'd hate to have that type of relationship, be posting on a message board behind an assumed name concerning rumors of children defecting to a program in which I was involved while simultaneously accusing the nefarious "others" of "recruiting."

I wrote and rewrote my response to being called intellectually incoherent but really couldn't find a version that I would be proud of posting. I wake up this morning and find your post. Thank you and I too miss your posts.

world cup
world cup
He's ALIVE........the Legend lives on!

Very curious as to why the Mount Pleasant Soccer Club would need a "partner" or a "life line", especially on the girls side where they boast perhaps the best U-12 and U-13 teams in the state. As The Master says above, this is the critical age group.

Don't think the girls at the beach need that much help. Life along the Wando seems to be going just fine.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
H
goal
goal
H
Goodness, they've recruited Shibumi to make an appearance. Are you out of season?

I'll just address the couple of things you said that were related to my posts.

First - I have no recollection of accusing any Heise of anything. Since you didn't clearly say that it was I, I have to assume it was someone else. If you have a quote from me, I'd be interested to see it.

Second - congratulations on knowing the complete Emerson quote. Too many people omit the "foolish" element. I assume then that you know that what Emerson meant by "foolish" was "without regard to facts and reality." So, is my consistency foolish in that sense?

My criticism that has riled was of a coach of 12 year old kids who declined to honor the award ceremony convention of giving out his team medals and saying a few gracious and uplifting words to his team and the opposing 12 year old kids. I was accused of inconsistency (ironic - no?) and hypocrisy on the grounds that I had previously criticized behavior that I considered inimical to the best interests of youth soccer. Say whatever else you want about that argument but you can't say it's intellectually coherent. It's not a question of subjective disagreement with the point. The assertion makes no sense.

Third, I have no idea what "rumors" about kids leaving one club for another you are suggesting I've pedalled. I'm sure I've never commented on any kid leaving CESA for the Academy, as either fact or rumor. Any criticism I've made of CESA and its recruiting (note the absence of "scare quotes") has been made on personal knowledge. I also need to challenge your assertion that I "[criticize] all things CESA." In fact, my criticism has been very narrow and I have had positive and complimentary things to say about the club, coaches and players on many occasions. That takes us to my final, but admittedly long, point.

In your last paragraph you came close to raising an interesting question, but didn't quite. Because I think it is important and incorporates much of the rest of what we're talking about (and have talked about in the past), I'll raise it myself.

The question is this: If recruiting is bad for youth soccer, why is it not bad when the Development Academy does it? The answer boils down to the "why." Let me acknowledge from the top that there is a great deal of subjectivity inherent in what I'm going to say. Some will disagree vehemently with my interpretations - and that's just fine. The Development Academy is a fundamentally different program from USYS/SCYS. The structure is different and the goals are different. The DA exists, essentially, for one purpose - to develop the best individual male youth soccer players in the country. US Soccer has determined that the way to do that is to train intensively and play fewer, and only, highly competitive games. One of the charges on DA clubs is to identify the guys in their area who have the potential to benefit from the program and to develop into national level players. The goal is not to build a team that will beat Concorde Fire or CASL - it is to find individuals who can be developed into a National Team player. When identified, those kids are invited to try out.

Now, contrast that with the "why" of the recruiting I have criticized. (Here come the opinions - based on fact, but opinions nontheless - with which some will hotly disagree). Recruiting for the dual purpose of strengthing my team and weakening the other team, so that my team is more likely to win, is not in anyone's best interests (except perhaps the coach or club - but why should anyone care about that?). Why recruit a kid from 150 miles away and tell him he only has to train with the team once a week or once every two weeks? Is the goal to make that kid a better soccer player, or to have the team win more games? Who is benefitting from that arrangement? I understand that the player is making the final decision, but my interest is in the motivation of the recruiter, not the recruitee. I think that's an important consideration.

I try very hard to be rationally consistent in advocating for practices that are good for youth soccer and criticizing those that aren't. When considering which is which, the only appropriate question, in my opinion, is - what is in the best interest of advancing the goals of the individual player? If I'm asking myself - what will make my team stronger, the other teams weaker, and will improve my/our chances of winning - I'm asking the wrong question. That there are kids and parents who's goal is primarily to play for a winning team/club I have no doubt. That does not mean the original question was the appropriate one.

I am particularly proud of the fact that, when talking to kids and parents about playing in the DA, our coaches, if they conclude that that the individual is not interested in our club, for whatever reason, will always encourage them to tryout for another DA club. Why would we do that? Because we're asking the right question of ourselves - what is in the best interest of the player, not - what is in our best interest as a team or club.

Many, but not all, clubs and coaches have the same view of things. That's why we have kids coming from all over - because most coaches and clubs are proud and pleased to have developed young players who are ready to take the next step in their development, even if it means that the "loss" of the player(s) will make other teams within the club less competitive. I'll point specifically to Dom Wren and Kian Brownlee. They're asking the right question of themselves. I should also point out that I have been very critical of some within the SCUtd family who have been too slow to embrace this attitude - though that has been in private.
------------

While I have no problem having this discussion in public - I'm happy to do it by PM if you think it might be tedious for everyone else to do it here.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Without taking sides.....very good post Happy Daddy.

Change never comes easy. Changing a belief system is about impossible.

CESA is an excellent club that lapped the state 5-7 years ago when the 2 clubs merged. While its too soon to say that SC United has now lapped CESA....the model is powerful enough to do so if they can manage the change. The jury is out on that one for another year or two.

It was nice to read Shibumi again, who I have said in the past reminds me a lot of George Will. Intelligent and well written, at the end he is still an advocate for a particular view. One can enjoy the writing and the passion without subscribing to the underlying belief.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 05/18/10 04:37 PM.
S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
Thanks to you folks for the kind words and informed debate. I've always thought that posting without fully engaging in the arguments of other wasn't what I wanted to do - and that's the reason for my very few posts (on the order of 1-2 a year) these days. So I'm going to address several points regarding a few of the things noted above - and then fade away to my much more mundane realities these days of helping a startup VC-based company become successful.

Big Daddy - Regarding "underlying belief", it would be fascinating for me to understand the perspective of what the underlying belief system is that I exhibit. I personally like the quote from Keynes: "When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?" It would be easy to state that the recent results in the U13/U14 year age groups were an anomaly and didn't matter - that would fall into a belief system consistent with "CESA good; CUFC bad." I think that the facts are that large clubs who work their tails off with large younger populations will perform better - and that CUFC has executed on that model better than CESA. I believe that CESA should increase its outreach and size in the recreation area - but I've believed that since the club was formed.

Regarding the well-written post from Happy Daddy - I think you hit at the heart of a core issue that I continue to see as a problem not only in terms of youth club soccer, but in terms of many of the ills of the world at large. You make the case that recruiting is good if done by someone with good motivations and bad if done by someone with bad motivations. Difficult to argue. And yet by fundamentally believing that the motivations of "others" are bad and that "our" motivations are good - and thus judging the same behavior differently - we get at the heart of a lot of distrust and even hatred in the world.

This is the skill I've never mastered - and what I refer to as the ability of an intellectual contortionist - judging the same results and behaviors differently by ascribing positive and negative motivations to those based on my own biases. It is self-limiting - I'd be a better advocate for a point of view if I could ascribe to the "my club, right or wrong" perspective - but I've always thought that the "best idea" theory was more workable.

My point would be that in all my years associated with youth soccer, I never met a coach who I thought was behaving from "bad motivations." Do these coaches want to win? Sure. But from Phil Savitz and Chris Fryland wanting my daughter to play for CUFC to Andrew Hyslop at CESA wanting her to play at CESA - they all behaved ethically and they all wanted what's best for my daughter. Did they have different beliefs about what might be best for my daughter? Sure. But I expected that - and I understood their perspective.

Your interest are aligned with the Developmental Academy. Now that this is public information, it's more possible to assess your postings from that perspective. But what you see as the strengths of "your" program - I see throughout most coaches at most clubs in the state. I've posted on this before - but a club 100 miles away from my home allowed my kid in 8th grade to play against Division 1 colleges and to practice with Division 1 college coaches when she wasn't able to travel to their program. They allowed her to do 4 hour practices sequentially with boys and girls teams when she did go up there. They encouraged her to practice with competitive summer-league clubs with nationally ranked boys and girls programs.

But there were coaches from more local clubs who welcomed her and created coach-to-coach agreements for her to practice with the best boys and girls in the area as well. From the Aiken clubs to Lexington clubs to Columbia clubs - lots of coaches did wonderful things that always put kids first. And that's my bias. I think that almost all of the coaches in these clubs have the best interest of kids at heart. I think that many of the parents don't - they have the best interest of their particular child at heart. I understand the parent perspective - but I don't endorse it.

My kid wears an SEC championship ring today - and she was able to play for that college team in part because of a lot of coaches from a lot of different clubs who all did their best for her. Aiken Fire, the acronyms for Lexington clubs, CSC, CUFC (and other acronyms), GSC, CESA, etc. - they didn't ask her to sacrifice for their club - heck, they didn't ask her to sacrifice academically - almost every one went out of their way to help her achieve what she wanted.

So while I know you believe that the entity that you act as the board leader for is operating from "good" motivations while others are operating from "bad" - I just don't see it. I don't see anything wrong with the development academy stuff (beyond the misogyny ) - it's yet more choice for kids and that's a good thing - but it didn't invent the concept of "putting kids first" - a ton of clubs and coaches over the years did that and are doing that.

S
bench
bench
S
CESA is an excellent club that lapped the state 5-7 years ago when the 2 clubs merged. While its too soon to say that SC United has now lapped CESA....the model is powerful enough to do so if they can manage the change. The jury is out on that one for another year or two.

Wasn't CESA in 2 finals that were decided in PK's that could have gone either way.

Also I think the U13 CUFC team beat CESA U-12 Premier boys by only 1 in State Cup, hardly a blow out with a younger team.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Shibumi,
Nice posts..And very much true..While I did not always agree with every coach that my daughter had..I always felt that they had her best interests at heart..I think most coaches think alike they just have different paths of getting there..Most can not get past the my club vs your club mentality..

throw in
throw in
What a wonderful time of year for Shibumi to return......and I hope it is not just for a brief moment in time....I too have missed his wisdom....and the brief discussions we had during pre-merger (NECSA & CSC) years.....he will probably remember my somewhat eager desires to see that merger occur....and all the ranting I put forward.....but it did happen and now look where we are today.....? I want to think that we are better off...but reading some of the posts it appears that the ego-driven, 'I-am-better-than-you-are-and-I-want-you-to-know-it' mentality in state soccer has grown to new heights......As I have little knowledge, at this time, as to where this comes from and why it is the way it is..I will refrain from appearing more knowledgeable than I suspect that I wanta be........but after some study and contemplation and after consulting with the Trustees of my Red Neck League...I will come back to the forum hopefully, at least appearing to be more knowledgeable than at the present.....I do want to comment and agree on one pont that Shibumi made -
"Regarding the well-written post from Happy Daddy - I think you hit at the heart of a core issue that I continue to see as a problem not only in terms of youth club soccer, but in terms of many of the ills of the world at large. You make the case that recruiting is good if done by someone with good motivations and bad if done by someone with bad motivations. Difficult to argue. And yet by fundamentally believing that the motivations of "others" are bad and that "our" motivations are good - and thus judging the same behavior differently - we get at the heart of a lot of distrust and even hatred in the world."
It is quite profound this analogy you made of youth soccer ('the beautiful game', the fun, challenging game with its own social environment, the world's game for all peoples, the game that so many love to hate).....that analogy to the ills of the world at large.......and the perceptions of the motivations within each of us when we talk or don't talk to someone, when we relate or don't relate with someone....we create our own distrust and hatred of each other to satisfy our own respective motivations. I thank you for that analogy and again, that wisdom.
In that regard, I will share with you one of my favorite quotations -
'Men build too many walls and not enough bridges.' - Isaac Newton

N
Throw In
Throw In
N
The beauty of this country is that you can seize upon an opportunity, develop it, nurture it, and then market it and sell it to the public. Welcome to youth soccer in South Carolina, and likely anywhere else for that matter. Capitalism in it's purest form.

I believe that it is largely about the money, and not about the kids or the talent, and you know what, that's ok. Just quit peeing on our heads and telling us it's only raining. For those of us who have been around this for any length of time, we have all seen teams with no club affiliation who can whip up on anything we call premier, elite or otherwise. If you want to recruit these players, have at it, but please, don't tell me it's all about giving the kid the best possible opportunity.

Sorry for the rant, it's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Quote:

The beauty of this country is that you can seize upon an opportunity, develop it, nurture it, and then market it and sell it to the public. Welcome to youth soccer in South Carolina, and likely anywhere else for that matter. Capitalism in it's purest form.

I believe that it is largely about the money, and not about the kids or the talent, and you know what, that's ok. Just quit peeing on our heads and telling us it's only raining. For those of us who have been around this for any length of time, we have all seen teams with no club affiliation who can whip up on anything we call premier, elite or otherwise. If you want to recruit these players, have at it, but please, don't tell me it's all about giving the kid the best possible opportunity.

Sorry for the rant, it's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

Absolutely brilliant! Post of the Year!

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

For those of us who have been around this for any length of time, we have all seen teams with no club affiliation who can whip up on anything we call premier, elite or otherwise.

I've been involved with youth soccer for 15 years and have never seen a non-club team that could "whip up on anything we call premier, elite or otherwise." If you can tell me where such a team plays I'd love to go watch them.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
CP - You just had to go and try ruin the post of the year! Without knowing, I suspect it is just semantics. The meatier points are far more tasty!

C
kick off
kick off
C
I have a hodgepodge of topics I wouls like to throw out there and this seemed the best place to do it because of the posters involved and my rant (for lack of better term)involves tryouts and has the tide turned.

First, at CESA, we must realize they don't have tryouts but evaluations instead. One look at how the group is broken up immediately lets you know. In addition, players at the u15 try..er....evalutaion were told if they wanted to try to make the premier team they could work out with them (interesting?) on Sunday but if they did not make it, they would not be on any team. This comes from my son who is very reliable. As far as I know this was never communicated to the parents, which I think is very wrong. Also, the CESA premier team has had the same coach for what, 6/7 years while the challenge team has had 7 coaches in 6 years. Not what I think is best for the players.

Which leads me to my other point. The comment was made that CESA coaches have done nothing but try to help players. My guess is your children are head and shoulders, either talent-wise or physically, above the other players in there age group. I know that if you watched the CESA premier team play the challenge team this season (u14b) you would have thought they were in two different age groups. Add to that, every single coach, including the premier coach has said they same thing to my son during evaluations (I won't comment on others though I have had discussions with parents). Unbelievable with the ball at his feet and his ability to take people on, needs to work on his defense. Not one of these coaches regularly put him in a position to do what he does best (and a few actually critized him for taking people on in the attacking third even when he had no support) and NEVER put him in a position in a game where he would have to defend more (and I always asked him if the coach worked with him on defense in practice. His answer was always no).

This leads me to my third topic, has the tide turned. The u14 challenge team lost to the much bigger, faster, stronger and supposedly better skilled premier team 2-0 in state cup first round. It was 0-0 until late in the game and the second goal was total miscommunication between keeper and defender. They then scrimmaged a few days before the semi-finals and lost 1-0 while playing with 6 or 7 classic players on their team. In a word, CESA is DEEP.

I would like to see more of the kids get a chance to practice with the premier team (which isn't supposed to already hav been chosen) at these tryouts/evaluations. It is obvious, they can hang with them.

One final thing. I am planning on volunteering to be an unpaid asst. coach for whichever team my son makes. I think it is a disservice to the players for them to have only one coach (who splits time with multiple teams)who has no one to talk to about what he sees on the field, etc. My guess is I will be turned down, even though I have a license, played in college, coached club and coached high school. Whatcha think?

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
(sound of music)

!!!!! The hills are alive with the sound of griswold !!!!!

!!! they been around for a long .......

Last edited by futbol(soccer); 05/21/10 07:48 PM.
M
corner kick
corner kick
M
"First, at CESA, we must realize they don't have tryouts but evaluations instead. One look at how the group is broken up immediately lets you know. In addition, players at the u15 try..er....evalutaion were told if they wanted to try to make the premier team they could work out with them (interesting?) on Sunday but if they did not make it, they would not be on any team."

My understanding of that situation is somewhat different. The boys were told that if they only wanted to be on the premiere team and not on the challenge team they could ask for that and they would be given an answer when the rosters are posted next week. If they would consider the challenge team then there would be one roster for both and the final rosters would be announced after regionals. I think they expect every boy to want to be on the best team they can. Some may choose to roster at a different club if they don't make premiere.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
"One final thing. I am planning on volunteering to be an unpaid asst. coach for whichever team my son makes. I think it is a disservice to the players for them to have only one coach (who splits time with multiple teams)who has no one to talk to about what he sees on the field, etc. My guess is I will be turned down, even though I have a license, played in college, coached club and coached high school. Whatcha think?
"

If your son goes to CESA, I don't think it will be allowed. I am not aware of any coaches who coach their kids team and that's the way it should be. It's very painful for the other parents to watch their kids sit while the coach's kid is getting way too much playing time. We pay a lot for the training and playing time and don't need that distraction.

G
kick off
kick off
G
Greenville, S.C. teams advance to 2010 US Youth Soccer Region III Championships
May 21, 2010

FRISCO, Texas (May 21, 2010) –By winning the recent US Youth Soccer South Carolina State Championships, nine Greenville, S.C., area soccer teams have qualified to compete in the US Youth Soccer Region III (South) Championships.

U14 Boys
CESA 95 Boys Premier
U15 Boys
CESA 94 Boys Premier
U16 Boys
CESA 93 Boys Premier
U17 Boys
CESA 92 Boys Premier
U18 Boys
CESA 91 Boys Premier
U15 Girls
CESA 94 Girls Premier
U16 Girls
CESA 93 Girls Premier
U17 Girls
CESA 92 Girls Premier
U18 Girls
CESA 91 Girls Premier

Has the tide turned?...I wouldn't say so.

D
throw in
throw in
D
CESA is Deep. But I am sure all big clubs are deep and many parents feel the same way as you at bigger clubs.

As far as your analysis of the 1st round state cup game, yeah, the score was only 2-0, but shots had to be 15 or 20 to 1. I saw the game and the u14 premier team dominated possession and chances. Also, the challenge team comes to play with nothing to lose and the premier team's mindset coming off a disappointing r3pl season probably was "Why did we put ourselves in this position?". Maybe their play against their challenge brothers was their motivation to win state cup? And everyone says the CESA challenge teams are red-headed step children. The challenge team does have a good back line (it looked like some of the best players were in the back). I personally only saw two or three players from challenge team that could possibly go up. Then the question is, whose spot should they take? The score really only means that the U14 age group at CESA is probably "recruiting" finishers for all levels of teams - lol

There is a good book out there that parents of all kids who play competitive sports should read - "Outliers". The premise of the book is that youth players whose birthdays are just after the cut-off date have the best chance to succeed (i.e. be on the premier/elite teams) because they are physically bigger, stronger and faster than kids whose birthdays are later. This is a generalization, but for the most part, I believe to be true. Case in point, the U14 CESA premier team. If you look at their roster, all the kids have 95 birthdays with only 3 or 4 exceptions which have 96 birthdays. I am sure they are looking at or "recruiting" (if you will) some bigger, stronger, faster, kids to replace those 96 kids even as we discuss it. I personally know one kid's family they asked to come play and he is a big (maybe would be the biggest overall on the team), strong kid who is a 95. Cannot blame the coaches for wanting to make their teams better and generally this means maturity/physical size. Not to say there are not very good small kids out there, but only so many Messi situations.

Good luck with the volunteer asst. coach thing at CESA. I am sure they have a U7 rec team that needs a coach. If that is what you want to do, you need to take your kid to a smaller club. It used to be that at CASA, those asst Clemson coaches that had club teams to supplement their incomes were gone recruiting so much a dad had to take over coaching training and/or games. At least it sounds like you are much more qualified. However, I am sure the parents would complain about you to.

When it comes to your kid, or your allegiance (club or school), the one thing this message board should teach us is that we are all biased - but it sure makes for some great banter

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Let's compare Apples and Apples

In the older boys ages, not all clubs are putting out there most talented group for SCYSA state cup.. So I'm not going to give all that much merit to the results in the older boys age group. With that being said CESA is still the strongest club in SCYCA boys.. The other Non US Academy affiliate clubs needs to step up and compete..

On the girls side the gap is closing even thou CESA won the state titles in the older age group.. All games were closer and the younger age groups its even closer, with South Carolina United and South Carolina United - Mt Peasant winning state titles..

Its nice to see competition amongst the elite clubs

D
throw in
throw in
D
My understanding of that situation is somewhat different. The boys were told that if they only wanted to be on the premiere team and not on the challenge team they could ask for that and they would be given an answer when the rosters are posted next week. If they would consider the challenge team then there would be one roster for both and the final rosters would be announced after regionals. I think they expect every boy to want to be on the best team they can. Some may choose to roster at a different club if they don't make premiere.

This makes sense and the coaches have to know where the existing players slot (repositioning slots based on season) and are using tryouts/evaluations to slot new players that show up.

goal kick
goal kick
Quote:

In addition, players at the u15 try..er....evalutaion were told if they wanted to try to make the premier team they could work out with them (interesting?) on Sunday but if they did not make it, they would not be on any team

premier or nothing??

G
kick off
kick off
G
Thought it was time to resurrect this post. Has the tide turned? I wouldn't say so at all with a clean CESA sweep in the U15-18 girls and boys divisions. U17 even had two CESA teams in the finals and thus Premier League.

goal
goal
goalstop, if state championships are all you are looking for, then I guess that's the place to be.

G
kick off
kick off
G
I assume that you're referring to player development with that comment. Its hard to argue that the best team in the state is not giving their players proper development. If they were not, the players would not be as good, and thus the team would not win state championships. Furthermore winning state means making premier league and regionals, which means better competition. And most would agree that better competition leads to more player development.

goal
goal
And I assume, by your comment, that you're assuming that the "best" team in the state is the team that wins the state championship.

goal
goal
But, if "winning state...making premier league and regionals" is all you're looking for; again, that's definitely the place to be.

L
Goal
Goal
L
dude, why so sour?
you down cause cesa swept or what?

brace
brace
Since "most" people would see that as a reflection of success, then yes that's what most people are looking for, now your typical website trolling fanatic well maybe they want more?

Gotta give CESA credit where it is due. In SC they win when it counts. Now how much of that winning can be attributed to fact that they develop players or that they "gather" the best players from around the state is debateable amoungst those with better insight than me. All I am sure of is they are winning cups for the club season after season.

goal
goal
That's a new one; now I'm a typical website trolling fanatic. Awesome. And here I thought I was just plain belligerent. My status seems to have improved. Thanks! My sour mood is a thing of the past.

I agree with you; cesa does win in SCYSA when it counts. I have always felt the whole "recruiting" discussion was a little silly, so I really have no comment on any of that. And, yes, they do continue to win cups year after year.

And, oh yeah, they serve the best darn kool-aid on the planet.

brace
brace
Now do not take the web site fanatic part to hard, fact is I would guess anyone on here with 10 posts or more should qualify for that title (self included)!

As for the best kool-aid, well they have lost players over the years to other clubs so some people must not drink it all!

My gathering comment was not really about recruiting, but rather the fact that they get players from all over becasue other clubs are not fielding the teams that win, or for what ever other reason there is. If the other clubs kept the best players in thier home clubs they might give CESA a better run for the money (pun intended)

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Al,
Another great post. You've been on your A game here lately.

goal
goal
Loc, neither you nor I believe either of your comments; but I do wonder if you finally succumbed to the temptation at some point and drank the kool-aid you were giving the parents of your players, if you're trying to impress the big guys to stay in their good favor, or if they're actually telling you what to write and you just do what you're told.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Why did you take off Alfred E.? I liked that.

goal
goal
Bingo.

goal
goal
Goalstop and Chief,

Backscreen17 responded (although, not directly) to your comments about winning and success here: ( SC ODP News ) this morning at 11am (mostly the last paragraph) with an excellent post.

goal
goal
(and, by the way, I'm not sticking my tongue out at either of you)

G
kick off
kick off
G
Quote:

Since "most" people would see that as a reflection of success, then yes that's what most people are looking for, now your typical website trolling fanatic well maybe they want more?

Gotta give CESA credit where it is due. In SC they win when it counts. Now how much of that winning can be attributed to fact that they develop players or that they "gather" the best players from around the state is debateable amoungst those with better insight than me. All I am sure of is they are winning cups for the club season after season.

. Well said, Chief. Belligerant, you really need to get over your CESA grudge. Winning state does mean that they have better teams, and that's that. No, it is not an automatic indicator of player development, but I can assure you that they do everything they can to win, and this includes developing players. Furthermore, recruiting is NOT a bad thing. Its much like capitalism, in that the better more attractive product (team) gets better business (players), thus helping the team improve further. Futhermore, every club needs money, and this capital goes back into the club to help with player development. A better club team also gives its players better national exposure to higher level teams and colleges. By the way, what's with all the creepy avatars?

Last edited by goalstop; 12/14/10 12:07 AM.
goal
goal
Ok, I take back my last post (why do I even try to be nice?)

For the, I dunno, ninth time, I NEVER said recruiting WAS a bad thing. Why do you people keep repeating that? Is that a side-effect of the kool-aid, or something? If it was up to me, I would get rid of any rules against recruiting. I understand why the rules are there, but I just don't think it's a big enough deal to warrant them. Now, I wouldn't go so far as to say "recruiting is good," but I certainly don't believe it's bad. Do you need any further clarification of my stance on recruiting, goalstop, or is it locdog's turn now to blame me for someone else's statements?

I love your comment about cesa, though, that "they do everything they can to win," especially since I have witnessed this firsthand on numerous occasions; but I am happy to hear that this also "includes developing players." (sounds almost like an afterthought) But, before locdog has a stroke, I'm kidding about the developing players part; I'm sure that it is higher or at least equal in priority to the "do whatever it takes to win" mentality mentioned above.

What creepy avatars are you talking about?

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
This idea of developing players is hard to measure. I think you look at the quality of training, the way that the teams play, parent and player satisfaction, and college placement.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Gotta add to that recruiting goes on at all clubs.

G
kick off
kick off
G
You've actually said little about your personal beliefs, just hinted at arguments that previous posters have stated. Therefore, I've based my arguments on the words of others, rather than what you just could have said in the first place. A vague comment such as "yeah you should play for CESA if you want to win championships" tells me very little about your standpoint, and I only could reply based on what I thought you were implying. I think I know a bit more of what you're trying to say now though. (And I definitely would give you the title of a troll.)

brace
brace
Just to clarify.. when I said trolling I was not thinking about the internet slang but meant someone who was looking about the website constantly. (no insult was meant, as you would note I mentioned myself as guilty of it, next time I will be more careful to cover the slang possibilities in my post)

brace
brace
PS gotta admit anyone who has that many avatars on hand is a little on the fanatical side

(I would change main but it seems very complicated )

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

This idea of developing players is hard to measure. I think you look at the quality of training, the way that the teams play, parent and player satisfaction, and college placement.

I think if you want to measure the idea of DEVELOPING players, you look at the quality of training and the improvement players make from the beginning of each season to the end under that training. Period. The other parameters you list could be attributed to other factors, but the "delta factor" between what you start with and what you end up with as a direct result of your actions is unquestionably development.

I've got good news and bad news...
B
brace
brace
B
Years ago, a Supreme Court justice struggled with the task of defining pornography. Ultimately, as I recall, he wrote something like: I know it when I see it.

Development: I know it when I see it.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Potter Stewart. I don't think he struggled at all with it. It was spot on.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard