Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
corner kick
corner kick
M
It also gives boys who aren't on a R3PL team or academy team a chance to showcase their talents at tournaments that their teams may not be apart of.

Is this new league exclusive to CESA players or like their CAP and College Combine open to players regardless of where they are rostered?

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
You'll have to be roster with CESA's US Club.

U
throw in
throw in
U
Sweet,then why does other youth sports like basketball, baseball, softball not travel like soccer leagues do? They might travel regionally, but not the miles a youth soccer club does to get the kids looked at. And in the end there's more college scholarships available in those sports than soccer. Do you think soccer is the worst bang for your buck if your child chooses soccer over other sports?

UncleBuck #137082 05/25/10 01:47 AM
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
What's really funny(?) is that the vast majority of players travel all over the country chasing that elusive college scholarship .... and then end up playing at Newberry, PC, Aiken, Charleston, etc.

And just to eliminate a few needless posts, I realize there are exceptions to the rule!

PS: I am not trying to paint a negative picture of the above college's or the quality of the players, but rather challenging 'the system' as it is 'sold' to our youth!

UncleBuck #137083 05/25/10 02:50 AM
S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Sweet,then why does other youth sports like basketball, baseball, softball not travel like soccer leagues do? They might travel regionally, but not the miles a youth soccer club does to get the kids looked at. And in the end there's more college scholarships available in those sports than soccer. Do you think soccer is the worst bang for your buck if your child chooses soccer over other sports?

Soccer is a team sport unlike tennis and golf, so in my opinion soccer gives you the best bang for your buck in chasing scholarship money in a team sport. As far as the travel issue, soccer is a middle class sport played in the suburbs unlike the other sports you mentioned. Yes there are always exceptions, however soccer is mostly played by the higher income class than the other major sports. As far as scholarships look no further than your daughters club team, I think 8 out of the starting 11 so far have received soccer money for there college, not too bad at all.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Quote:

....chasing scholarship money ...

Really? At what cost?

RECCOS #137085 05/25/10 03:01 AM
S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Quote:

....chasing scholarship money ...

Really? At what cost?

At the cost of having great memories and good times. What is wrong with having your daughter travel the state or country playing a sport she enjoys. I have had wonderful times with my daughter over the years and will continue following her to all of her college matches, and for anyone that knows me I have a very nice life outside of soccer.

RECCOS #137086 05/25/10 03:06 AM
S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

What's really funny(?) is that the vast majority of players travel all over the country chasing that elusive college scholarship .... and then end up playing at Newberry, PC, Aiken, Charleston, etc.

And just to eliminate a few needless posts, I realize there are exceptions to the rule!

PS: I am not trying to paint a negative picture of the above college's or the quality of the players, but rather challenging 'the system' as it is 'sold' to our youth!

In my daughter case, what was sold was delivered.

U
throw in
throw in
U
I guess your income level makes you ineligible for this post. For the middle class family though who has an athletic child who has a choice between soccer and a less traveled sport at a young age they would probably be better off steering them in a more affordable sport. i have know idea what your daughter was offered, but she's the only one on our team that's going big D1. We've had atleast 40 players pass through that team the past several years. Those are not very good odds. Also, the ones that have been offered something on our team are not all getting full rides if any. Us middle class families will never come close to what $$$ we've put into club soccer the last 10 years. I would add it all up, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to hold my dinner down.

UncleBuck #137088 05/25/10 03:47 AM
A
goal kick
goal kick
A
I always thought our family (and not just our daughter) got a lot more out of travel soccer than the possibility of a college scholarship. The times spent with our daughter going to tournaments, R3PL games, practices etc was incredible and we wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. The skills, friendships and lessons that our daughter gained through it all have shaped her into the fine young woman she has become. If the only reason you do this is for the possibility of a scholarship, I think you're missing all that is to be gained.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard