Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
its going to be a good hard fought match. whats your predictions> i say irmo 4-2

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
A
throw in
throw in
A
Irmo 3
Northwestern 2

Going to be extremely close, hard-fought match between the state's two best sides. This game could easily go to OT and/or PKs.

corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
i agree i feel its going to be a hard fought match but i just dont think NW defense has seen or been attacked by an offense like irmos. they have to many weapons. this game will be sick!

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
goal kick
goal kick
Hopefully Irmo will be able to wear those all black jerseys again that I love! But I hope Dennis and NW can pull it out! Ricky knows how to score in the state championship!

Perfumes of embraces all him assailed. With hungered flesh obscurely he mutely craved to adore.
bench
bench
Garbonzo will score. Acree will score. We take these truths to be self evident. I'll take irmo 3-2 in ot, I think irmo wants it more but nw will be more prepared than their meeting in the lmc.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted.
M
brace
brace
M
IRMO vs Northwestern Championship Matches:

Check out the difference in the size of the crowd in Memorial between 2004 and 2009. I'm betting it'll be a packed house again this year.

2009:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtzROK3ZcZo

2004:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwZu0QT5r5w

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
M
brace
brace
M
Quote:

Garbonzo will score. Acree will score. We take these truths to be self evident. I'll take irmo 3-2 in ot, I think irmo wants it more but nw will be more prepared than their meeting in the lmc.

Correction on Ricky's last name. The spelling is with an "a", Garbanzo and Ricky is without a doubt the most creative and accurate striker IRMO has seen. He's very dangerous from anywhere inside 25 yards.

This will be one hell of a match up between two very hungry and proven sides.

U
bench
bench
U
thanks for the links manchester.....

where is the game at this year?

and im going to pick irmo 3-1. they want it real bad after last year. REMATCH time!

M
brace
brace
M
Championships will be played at Memorial Stadium. The 4A match will be the last one to go after the others start around 2pm or maybe earlier as I recall. The stadium holds 8,000 plus. Get there early to catch the other games to have a seat for the 4A championship.

Directions:
http://www.scsoccer.com/memorial.htm

Wikimapia:
http://wikimapia.org/6119761/Memorial-Stadium

bench
bench
Quote:

Quote:

Correction on Ricky's last name. The spelling is with an "a", Garbanzo and Ricky is without a doubt the most creative and accurate striker IRMO has seen. He's very dangerous from anywhere inside 25 yards.

This will be one hell of a match up between two very hungry and proven sides.

Ah, thank you Manchester

goal kick
goal kick
It's at Memorial again, since Clemson and CofC coaches believe USC has a recruiting advantage hosting it at the Graveyard............

When asked about losing in the AAAA State Championship last year Acree had these words about Enzo and NW:
"I have nothing. Men fight for me because if they do not, I throw them off my land and I starve their wives and their children. Those men who bled the ground red at Memorial, they fought for Enzo Martinez, and he fights for something that I never had."

Shortly after, Enzo was captured and tortured so that he and NW may never be able to torture the Irmo defense again.

Dennis said this to his men before the game tonight against Mauldin "You have bled with Martinez. Now bleed with me!"

This rallied his troops and now they are ready to take on Irmo.

In short it will be a great match up and I think NW has more quality on offense, particularly finishing, and will win

Perfumes of embraces all him assailed. With hungered flesh obscurely he mutely craved to adore.
world cup
world cup
Over the years the crowds get bigger.....but the hairstyles never seem to change.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
brace
brace
Northwestern 5, Irmo 0 - absolute slaughter.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
goal kick
goal kick
Quote:

Northwestern 5, Irmo 0 - absolute slaughter.

I would love that but lets no get carried away NW lost 3-1 to Irmo earlier this season

U
bench
bench
U
whoa whoa ROH

retirement causing you to go insane??

B
kick off
kick off
B
2 to 1 irmo could get uglier if irmo would finish all their chances but its soccer and anything can happen! cant wait to see this match!

sG Offline
corner kick
corner kick
NW 3 Irmo 2

Lots of goals! YUUUUUUUUM!

THERES ONLY ONE NORTHWESTERN! THERES ONLY ONE NORTHWESTERN! WE'RE WALKIN ALONG, SINGING A SONG, WALKIN IN A TROJAN WONDERLAND!
(repeat)

Last edited by sG; 05/20/10 04:28 AM.

One Time!
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

It's at Memorial again, since Clemson and CofC coaches believe USC has a recruiting advantage hosting it at the Graveyard............

When asked about losing in the AAAA State Championship last year Acree had these words about Enzo and NW:
"I have nothing. Men fight for me because if they do not, I throw them off my land and I starve their wives and their children. Those men who bled the ground red at Memorial, they fought for Enzo Martinez, and he fights for something that I never had."

Shortly after, Enzo was captured and tortured so that he and NW may never be able to torture the Irmo defense again.

Dennis said this to his men before the game tonight against Mauldin "You have bled with Martinez. Now bleed with me!"

This rallied his troops and now they are ready to take on Irmo.

In short it will be a great match up and I think NW has more quality on offense, particularly finishing, and will win

those 3 players for NW can finish the game at any giving time if they are the same players i saw last year.

irmo is not as creative as other years but still a very solid and organized team.

i think irmo takes it, their defense look solid, very solid.

Club of the century.
throw in
throw in
Northwestern 3 Irmo 2

I think its gonna be a more defensive game then most think (someone once said a good defense is a great offense) i think northwestern has more creative and better finishing with their star players up top in moore and garbanzo.. alex martinez will dominate the midfield but irmo is so good at exploiting mistakes that northwestern is goin to have to play a great and solid game in the back.. great teams great coaches great fans gonna be an electric atmosphere.. lets all hope the weather holds up!

THERES ONLY ONE NORTHWESTERN!

bench
bench
I like Northwestern 3 Irmo 2 as well.

Coach Wren always finds a way to get his teams ready (2 national championships make this clear). He will have the boys ready to handle Irmo. Wish i could make the game, ill be stuck hitting refresh on my internet the whole time.

... theres only one northwestern...

S
goal
goal
S

Last edited by sandman; 05/20/10 11:31 AM.
throw in
throw in
That's great Sandman.

Nothing is Impossible
J
bench
bench
J
Irmo is obvioiusly the best team going into the match, only losing in pks earlier in the season and easily beat nw 3-1, i say Irmo 3-0 this time.

the lads are just too good, and they're playin well, nw's defense is sooooooo weak

H
kick off
kick off
H
NW is on a roll.....all seem to be healthy again.
Going with NW over Irmo....3-2.

O
bench
bench
O
Irmo 3.....NW 1

Goal by Dunbaker (assist by Padula)
Goal by Acree (assist by Lunceford)
Goal by Matt S (assist by Padula)

Goal by Ricky G (assist by Martinez)

throw in
throw in
The Padula factor is huge if Irmo puts pressure on the NW backs and NW has to play it out.

Nothing is Impossible
goal kick
goal kick
It is easier to deal with Padula's throws on a big field like Memorial. He has got a cannon but W.C. Hawkins is nowhere near as wide as Memorial and thus NW should be able to defend those well and should be ready for that style of play as many of these players have played against Irmo twice in high school and many of them in club

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
A lot of these guys have an Academy game Saturday in Charlotte. Assume they will not try to play two...

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
BD,
If you had to choose one game..Which would it be?

E
bench
bench
E
NW 2-0

bench
bench
Quote:

I like Northwestern 3 Irmo 2 as well.

Coach Wren always finds a way to get his teams ready (2 national championships make this clear). He will have the boys ready to handle Irmo. Wish i could make the game, ill be stuck hitting refresh on my internet the whole time.

... theres only one northwestern...

Im going to agree that nw wins 3-2 but in overtime. Irmo has a great team this year (probably the best in the state) and a great coach but i think coach Wren has the edge to be able to put his team in a position to win when it really matters.

M
throw in
throw in
M
Northwestern 3 irmo 1...too much alex, ricky, and dennis at the end

Brace
Brace
My fondest memory of last year's 4A match-up was how the NWN group embraced the ethnic diversity of their team. I can still see all the many different flags waving during and after the match. It was great. I have tried to emulate that at HH. I hope folks on both sides are as tolerant this year, a lesson folks in Nebraska have not yet learned. Green Card Incident Outrages Students After Soccer Match

http://www.action3news.com/Global/story.asp?S=12511148

The Weather Is Here. Wish You Were Beautiful.
goal
goal
CHT, are you serious? Playing in AN Academy match vs playing in THE State Championship?

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Quote:

My fondest memory of last year's 4A match-up was how the NWN group embraced the ethnic diversity of their team. I can still see all the many different flags waving during and after the match. It was great. I have tried to emulate that at HH. I hope folks on both sides are as tolerant this year, a lesson folks in Nebraska have not yet learned. Green Card Incident Outrages Students After Soccer Match

The only cards I want to see on Saturday are yellow ones. There will be lots of emotions. Keep the game under control.

goal
goal
I'd rather not see ANY cards of ANY color, but that's probably asking a little much...

goal kick
goal kick
Will it get as out of hand as the 2001 4A state championship, Dorman beat #1 nationally ranked Ridge View, when one of Ridge View's assistant coaches ran at the referee at the final whistle and he was taken down by a cop, and their were a few fan fights after the game? Let's hope not, but I definitely can see the passion and flare these players have get out of hand near the end of the game

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

BD,
If you had to choose one game..Which would it be?

State championship.

Just didn't know if some of the kids intended to try to play 2. I wouldn't suggest it, but one never knows.

goal kick
goal kick
Where has people's sense of sarcasm gone these days?

goal
goal
Daddy, I can only imagine that either: a) both high school coaches would forbid their players from participating in a match the entire weekend, b) the coaches would give their players the choice, one or the other, but not both, or c) they would go on the assumption that none of their players would even attempt to do both. Personally, I would go with c, but throw in a, just in case (we are talking about teenage boys after all)

goal kick
goal kick
why the heck would an academy game ever take precedence over a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP game!!!! For most kids this is a once, if ever, in a lifetime opportunity that should not be wasted on a club soccer game

bench
bench
I don't see how anyone could predict this game. Two extraordinary teams. Last year same situation, Irmo didn't play up to their capability, Northwestern was there firing on all cylinders all game long. Hope to see a better game Saturday. Go Jackets.

kick off
kick off
Just watch out for Irmo's long throw-ins because I have seen a majority of their goals that way. If they do it should be a hard fought scrappy battle. I say NW 2-1 in overtime

A
throw in
throw in
A
Quote:

It is easier to deal with Padula's throws on a big field like Memorial. He has got a cannon but W.C. Hawkins is nowhere near as wide as Memorial and thus NW should be able to defend those well and should be ready for that style of play as many of these players have played against Irmo twice in high school and many of them in club

W.C. Hawkins is wider than Memorial, for the record.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Quote:

The only cards I want to see on Saturday are yellow ones. There will be lots of emotions. Keep the game under control.

lets keep it classy folks, play with style, celebrate with passion, but lets keep soccer where it is, on top.

i was the first one to go after maradona on different latino online forums after he won in uruguay.

first, the coach have to be professional, then the players as well, sp the captains and the leaders of both teams.

there is nothing greater than watching a great soccer player acting professional and showing class, showing respect for the game.

fans as well, lets have fun and enjoy the game but keep it classy.

good luck.

Club of the century.
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
you stay classy San Diego!

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
goal kick
goal kick
I say Irmo wins in 2-1 it possibly overtime. Northwestern is still really good and so is Irmo but both teams are no where near as good as last year. Irmo might win but I really don't see a winner here. Two really good teams... I expect a really good Saturday!

goal kick
goal kick
Quote:

I have played on both and watched games on both so I completely disagree with this statement and know it to be false. Memorial is one of the longest and widest high schools fields in the state, I know for a fact it is wider then W.C. Hawkins.

H
goal
goal
H
Between Irmo and NW we'll be missing a bunch of good players (especially 18's) against North Meck. That's why I was rooting for both to lose in the semis! Kidding, of course. We're proud of all of the Academy players who will be battling for a state championship and hope for a great, cleanly fought final. No one expected them to play in any game but the HS final if they made it. It's too bad there was no other available time to make up this weather delayed game.

We'll be fine Saturday - and Big Daddy, we're comin' after you!

R
kick off
kick off
R
Quote:

why the heck would an academy game ever take precedence over a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP game!!!! For most kids this is a once, if ever, in a lifetime opportunity that should not be wasted on a club soccer game

I want to wish all of South Carolina United FC's Academy players the best for this weekends championship games. As crazy as it sounds I am glad we have so many missing for our DA game versus a fine North Meck team.

All the best to Irmo Players Zach Acree Mike Day, AJ Rogers, Matt Sieverding, Billy Padula, Connor Dunbaker, Rob Sullivan and Josh Jenkins.

Northwestern Players Denden Moore and Alex Martinez

South Aiken Player Travis Naylor

Also congrats to our SCISA players that played in last weeks final- Pinewood Prep Players Robert Beebe, Taylor Kastanis, Brandon Phinney and Justin White
Cardinal Newman Koty Millard (could not play due to a scheduling conflict )

Also congrats to our staff coaches- Dom Wren (Northwestern, Phil Savitz,Denny Sago,Thad Miller (IRMO) Jason Birchwood (Pinewood Prep)and Will Eudy (Cardinal Newman)

Good luck and congrats to all!
Rob

Goal
Goal
I really have no idea of what will happen. Either one team will dominate right from the start or it will be finished in OT/PK's. This will once again be a very great game to watch. I cant' wait!

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
ha! good call...it will either be close or not. oh yeah...and someone will win.

A
throw in
throw in
A
Quote:

Quote:

I have played on both and watched games on both so I completely disagree with this statement and know it to be false. Memorial is one of the longest and widest high schools fields in the state, I know for a fact it is wider then W.C. Hawkins.

No, it isn't. I played at Irmo and played in a few state titles at Memorial. Memorial is as long but not as wide as W.C. Hawkins.

Goal
Goal
Would suck if they went to PK's and couldn't settle it.

goal kick
goal kick
20champ04, until you get the dimensions of the field I'll think you are completely retarded. cuz i have seen both this year and been on both this year and all you have to do is compare how far the corner flag is from the 18 line and you clearly can tell Memorial is wider but Im not gonna argue this one any further

L
Goal
Goal
L
both are football fields so there can't be much difference in w/l. the game would be better at the graveyard-a real soccer field. pretty lame to have state championship games at memorial. players/fans/schools deserve better. where are the state football championship games played?

bench
bench
Quote:

both are football fields so there can't be much difference in w/l. the game would be better at the graveyard-a real soccer field. pretty lame to have state championship games at memorial. players/fans/schools deserve better. where are the state football championship games played?

It is ridiculous letmeput.. The football state championships are played at Williams Bryce, the basketball state championships are played at the Colonial Center, or the Colonial Life Arena, or whatever it is this week. SCISIA soccer state championships are at The Graveyard.. Yet public school soccer state championships are no longer allowed at The Graveyard because the Clemson and CoC coaches complained that it was a recruiting advantage for USC.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
WYP -- The MAIN reason the SCHSL State Championships are not at USC's Stone Stadium is due to the fact that SCHSL Commissioner Jerome Singleton prefers to have a stadium with two sides -- i.e. home/away. Stone Stadium does not allow for this configuration.

Members of the SCHSSCA Executive Committee met with Mr. Singleton Wednesday and will do so again this weekend and in the near future to discuss a potential return to Stone Stadium. USC definitely wants the games and we have received tremendous support from Coach Berson and Coach Smith among others involved at Carolina.

However, ultimately, the decision lies with the SCHSL and Mr. Singleton. There have been discussions regarding other Columbia-area venues such as Benedict College (field turf) and other high school stadiums. I will say that Memorial does offer the best site for what the SCHSL desires -- equal and ample seating on both sides of the stadium, locker room facilities, decent parking space, and it's pretty easy from a security standpoint.

But if you want my opinion, I'd vote for a return to USC Stone Stadium and have the middle tier of seats reserved for coaches, media, etc. and have the teams sit on the four sections on either side of the middle (directly below the press box). Outside of the Class 4A games, you rarely would have much of an issue with fans clashing together.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
trojans 4-2. they will rise from the ashes of the lmc game. go trojans.

H
goal
goal
H
That outfit would have to make a concerted effort to understand, or care, less about soccer - and they probably will.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

WYP -- The MAIN reason the SCHSL State Championships are not at USC's Stone Stadium is due to the fact that SCHSL Commissioner Jerome Singleton prefers to have a stadium with two sides -- i.e. home/away. Stone Stadium does not allow for this configuration.

Members of the SCHSSCA Executive Committee met with Mr. Singleton Wednesday and will do so again this weekend and in the near future to discuss a potential return to Stone Stadium. USC definitely wants the games and we have received tremendous support from Coach Berson and Coach Smith among others involved at Carolina.

However, ultimately, the decision lies with the SCHSL and Mr. Singleton. There have been discussions regarding other Columbia-area venues such as Benedict College (field turf) and other high school stadiums. I will say that Memorial does offer the best site for what the SCHSL desires -- equal and ample seating on both sides of the stadium, locker room facilities, decent parking space, and it's pretty easy from a security standpoint.

But if you want my opinion, I'd vote for a return to USC Stone Stadium and have the middle tier of seats reserved for coaches, media, etc. and have the teams sit on the four sections on either side of the middle (directly below the press box). Outside of the Class 4A games, you rarely would have much of an issue with fans clashing together.

I know that administrators like to separate opposing fans but it shouldn't be at the expense of reducing the quality of the game. Stone is very nice. Hopefully all fans will behave properly this weekend and SCHSL will not have a "soccer hooligan" arguement to hang their hat on.

Kevin, I thought the main reason SCHSL would want the boys championship played at Memorial is because attendance has outgrown Stone?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
goal kick
goal kick
Besides the AAAA game though it seems like in years past more people have gone to the other state championships, maybe being spread out on two sides distorted my guess on how many people attended the other state championship games

J
Brace
Brace
J
I would have to vote for the fans being on one side, the benches being on the opposite side of the field from the fans, but both benches being on the same side. That is the way we do it in Illinois...much easier to control the game when you don't have fans behind the benches, you only have subs coming from one side, like club, and just overall a better setup. Just my opinion though.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
bench
bench
I agree soccerboy, the fans being on one side of the field makes for a more exciting environment. Even with (relatively) large numbers of fans for both teams, having them sit on opposite sides takes away from the drama. Consider this: lets imagine that each team's supporters are solid energetic entities, kind of like magnets. The closer they are together, the stronger the force between them (see Newton's law of universal gravitation). More force=more intensity=better game

kick off
kick off
I got the chance to play my state Championship game at Stone Stadium thankfully. I have also played at Memorial and there is no comparison to the two pitches. The kids in high school now that are playing in Memorial Stadium are getting ripped off from playing in this amazing atmosphere and quality field. Move the game back to Stone PLEASE!!

F
bench
bench
F
Irmo 3 - NW 1

H
kick off
kick off
H
Well, I suppose expectations of NW over Irmo were true. Not exactly 3-2 as I predicted, but close. Happy that a Region 3 team won....where tough competition resides. Hey FM and Clover can feel pretty good as both scored and came w/in 2 of NW. So, I'm sort of happy for them.

Wished that the international flag thing that NW does could be left at home. All of the int'l guys on the team my son plays for are all proud to represent a team in the U.S.A. Maybe we should invest in Irish, English, and Italian flags. OR NOT !!

corner kick
corner kick
Hardtruth, all of our players are proud to be in the USA! Just read any of the multiple articles where Dennis, Alex, and Enzo have stated that they love being in America. We are simply celebrating the diversity of our soccer program. The US flag is always posted in the position of honor! I checked with my father who served in the US Air Force for 28 years before we ever put the flags up. If you don't like our expression of diversity, don't come to our matches!

throw in
throw in
well well well look what we have here!!! THREEPEAT! THREEPEAT! THREEPEAT! what are the excuses gonna be this year? i mean northwesterns backs were suspect alex martinez was overrated and irmo was just too good! oh wait false on all three accounts! Congrats to all the NHS boys they believed in their team and their system! and we all see what happened today! only thing im sour on is that my prediction was wrong we scored one more goal than i expected on the mighty yellow jackets! congrats to irmo and coach savitz on another great second place finish behind the one and only Northwestern! did anyone see Enzo on the field cause I didn't I saw Alex Martinez and company do work on Irmo! Ricky Garbanzo is a freaking badger! I dont care if this is being a sore winner because all you people who put Irmo on a pedastal and said Northwestern was shabby can your eat your words! Irmo was plain and simply outcoached and outplayed! THERES ONLY ONE NORTHWESTERN! THREEPEAT BABY!

goal kick
goal kick
Emmett Lunceford = Gatorade Player of the Year? Please tell me he had an off day because he was totally invisible for 75 minutes of the game! Alex, Cody, Ricky and Dennis completely controlled that game from start to finish. I thought NW would pull it out, but I thought Irmo would bring more quality, that we have come to expect from them. Ricky is a class striker who can finish almost any opportunity. 5 GOALS IN 3 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP APPEARANCES!!!! That is an amazing rate, he is an incredibly clutch player! This was a great game even though I never felt Irmo got out of first gear, they still played tough and fought till the end. When does the DVD come out????

goal kick
goal kick
Stone is the right venue. The SCISA finals were held there, and went off very well. Keeping the fans separated shouldn't be such a big deal. After all, USC has Carolina - Clemson games at Stone, and I don't recall any trouble. A little bit of security could easily keep things from getting out of hand. And PLEASE don't play the finals on turf.

L
Goal
Goal
L
how was the parking and traffic getting out of memorial tonight? did less fans attend ty due to what they experienced last year with games being played at memorial?

C
kick off
kick off
C
This just in, MY BATHTUB STILL HAS MORE RINGS THAN THAT IRMO SQUAD! I mean what happened? You had your officiating crew, you had the gatorade player of the year, you had the depth, you had your magical blond hair, and Northwestern even gave you two goals to make it interesting. Oh you know what, you forgot to take your Midol before the game didn't you. That is it because I witnessed a bunch of blond women out there tonight whinning, complaining, and cheap shotting the better Northwestern team. Out coached and outplayed again for the second year in a row. FINAL SCORE NW 4 - NW 2, IRMO 0!

goal kick
goal kick
Quote:

This just in, MY BATHTUB STILL HAS MORE RINGS THAN THAT IRMO SQUAD! I mean what happened? You had your officiating crew, you had the gatorade player of the year, you had the depth, you had your magical blond hair, and Northwestern even gave you two goals to make it interesting. Oh you know what, you forgot to take your Midol before the game didn't you. That is it because I witnessed a bunch of blond women out there tonight whinning, complaining, and cheap shotting the better Northwestern team. Out coached and outplayed again for the second year in a row. FINAL SCORE NW 4 - NW 2, IRMO 0!

Im gonna give you a 5 star rating! Your welcome! You deserve it because I completely agree!

throw in
throw in
Quote:

how was the parking and traffic getting out of memorial tonight? did less fans attend ty due to what they experienced last year with games being played at memorial?

I found getting out was not that hard (driving down Five Points--fun!). I want to say the same number of Irmo fans attended as last year. There seemed to be fewer on the Northwestern side, but that might be because they were more dispersed in seating than the "clumps" that Irmo fans formed.

U
bench
bench
U
someone please explain to me this.....

at around the 75th minute garbonzo flopped drawing a free-kick. it was his second or third flop that went his way in about 5 minutes. but when he got up, an irmo player grabbed his face and spoke to him. how did the irmo player not get carded for touching an opponent after the whistle?

N
Throw In
Throw In
N
like any match up. one team comes to play, one team comes to get played.

throw in
throw in
Quote:

someone please explain to me this.....

at around the 75th minute garbonzo flopped drawing a free-kick. it was his second or third flop that went his way in about 5 minutes. but when he got up, an irmo player grabbed his face and spoke to him. how did the irmo player not get carded for touching an opponent after the whistle?

From my angle it looked as if Lunceford didn't actually touch him, just stepped forward and got in his face (doing that hand waving thing that boys do to look tough). My view was blocked by about a dozen screaming kids though...:/

Last edited by mechie15; 05/23/10 04:47 AM.
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Well, I suppose expectations of NW over Irmo were true. Not exactly 3-2 as I predicted, but close. Happy that a Region 3 team won....where tough competition resides. Hey FM and Clover can feel pretty good as both scored and came w/in 2 of NW. So, I'm sort of happy for them.

Wished that the international flag thing that NW does could be left at home. All of the int'l guys on the team my son plays for are all proud to represent a team in the U.S.A. Maybe we should invest in Irish, English, and Italian flags. OR NOT !!

is ok to bring the Irish, English and Italian flag, and of course have much love and respect for the USA flag.

lets respect diversity as well, i have cousins born and raised in los angeles, 1 of them a math professor at ucla, half salvadoran-half mexican so lets not forget the fact that not every american is pure european.

contratulation to both teams, contrats to northwestern high school and to irmo as well for making it this far, last but not least to all the people that make this game so great.

Club of the century.
U
bench
bench
U
either way if he did or he didnt...i still feel like the ref should have intervened

U
bench
bench
U
im not understanding the problem with the flags. the kids are proud of their heritage. im sure every one of them is thankful for the opportunities that being in america presents, but they aren't allowed to honor their heritage? that seems a little ridiculous to me.

throw in
throw in
Well, the ref did get in there, break the two up and talk to Lunceford...he just didn't card him.

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Quote:

Hardtruth, all of our players are proud to be in the USA! Just read any of the multiple articles where Dennis, Alex, and Enzo have stated that they love being in America. We are simply celebrating the diversity of our soccer program. The US flag is always posted in the position of honor! I checked with my father who served in the US Air Force for 28 years before we ever put the flags up. If you don't like our expression of diversity, don't come to our matches!

Yeah...THAT.
I completely agree...and I also served in the military. My father served for 30+ years as well as my Uncle for 30+ years. The folks who have served or are currently serving in our armed forces are defending our freedoms. I think its great we can celebrate cultural diversity, on and off the pitch. When one criticizes the fact that other countries flags are flying on a soccer sideline, its disrespecting the American Flag and what it stands for. FREEDOM.

-Attitude reflects leadership-
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah...THAT.
I completely agree...and I also served in the military. My father served for 30+ years as well as my Uncle for 30+ years. The folks who have served or are currently serving in our armed forces are defending our freedoms. I think its great we can celebrate cultural diversity, on and off the pitch. When one criticizes the fact that other countries flags are flying on a soccer sideline, its disrespecting the American Flag and what it stands for. FREEDOM.

that is what you think. nobody is disrespecting america, or the flag, or the south.

respect man, is all about respect.

we thank this great country and we thanks our fathers and grandfathers as well. my grandfather speak spanish and he was an amateur soccer player, one of my uncles played professional soccer as well.

respect is a powefull word.

Club of the century.
throw in
throw in
obviously you havent payed close attention to those flags being flown on nw side.. the american flag is always being waved along side and another above all of the other national flags displayed.. yes the american flag does stand for freedom freedom to express the love for ones heritage and/or birthplace those flags dont just represent the diversity of the team but those flags represent the birthplaces of some of the players on the team dennis born in liberia, ricky born in costa rica, alex and former player enzo martinez in uruguay, coach dom wren and coach graham stafford in england, coach michael chumah in kenya, javier bonilla and other former players in honduras, former player santiago jimenez in columbia, and several others from mexico along with the american flag.. if you want to get critical the american flag is above all of these flags on the flag pole too. what about irmo's rastafarian flags seems to be no complaints there?

Goal
Goal
Pictures from the Irmo/NW game
http://www.scsoccer_2010.winkflash.com/

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year”
H
kick off
kick off
H
Good to see that I've touched a nerve. Irmo with Jamaican flags? That's unnecessary too. It's cheezy, it's antagonizing to others, and unnecessary at games. It's not respectful. I had two grandfathers that fought for this country and I can assure you they didn't do it so that we could all stand together at soccer games and look like the U.N. I respect these other countries and could care less about t-shirts or jackets. However, foreign flag-waving at HS soccer games...I don't respect. It takes "freedom" to a different level. Could even understand it if you were actually playing teams from Uruguay, Costa Rica, England. Skip the diversity stuff and embrace what brings us together. Don't worry, I won't see any more of your games so long as you guys do things to antagonize others. Why don't your fans buy plastic clappers and cow bells? Ask your soccer players to describe what the U.S. flag means, the red, white, blue, stars and stripes.

Understand the Irmo fans were very disrespectful last night with kids yelling junk at the refs. No place for that either.

I suppose you're "free" to do it. I am FREE to disagree with it, believe it's disrespectful. and say I don't like it.

goal kick
goal kick
All this fighting about flags and nationalities makes me think of Priest Vallon's Dead Rabbits vs. Bill Cutting's Natives.

Just respect diversity because our country is built on diversity of all kinds, and it is always growing. Not one person can trace their roots and have it stay within these borders. This is so ridiculous that people can't respect NW for being a good diverse team. They beat Irmo get over it, and deserved to.

H
kick off
kick off
H
The program may be built on diversity, but it is "one country" not many. Happy NW won, but they are wrong on this. I like many of the guys on NW's team including the one's that come from other places. Irmo was wrong too.

I'm not fighting anyone, but making a point. Gaffney, Clover, York and many other schools are diverse, but they don't make a point of putting in your face. We see it, no one has to remind us. It antagonizes people! Would you all be as defending if some southern redneck ran around the track with a Confederate flag? No, because it "might" offend a few. What do these other flags really mean? ARe these countries as welcoming of "diversity"? None of us have a clue. Well, maybe one or two.

Again, happy NW won. They have some great players/young men.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Don't worry, I won't see any more of your games so long as you guys do things to antagonize others. Why don't your fans buy plastic clappers and cow bells?

South Carolina High School League rules prohibit the use of artificial noise-makers at all SCHSL sponsored events.

L
Goal
Goal
L
the flags are great and don't see the "wrong" at all.

goal kick
goal kick
what in the hell is wrong with you hardtruth? Just because high school students celebrate their diversity of their school they are wrong?? You are in essence encouraging students to forget where they came from. Let them celebrate diversity, and let them be diverse. As the NW coach already said, they put the American flag in the position of honor or something like that. The American flag is up there too so get over it. No one is trying to take away from what the American flag stands for, but are you trying to tell me that Dennis shouldn't be able to drape the Liberian flag around himself after the game? They are honoring their roots.

Peace and Love

G'd up from the feet up
goal kick
goal kick
is Hardtruth really equating the Confederate flag with country flags??? It's not like they are waving the Nazi Germany flag or building up racism or hate. NW is not the only high school team to adorn flags at their game, they are just the only team good enough to make it to the final. BL player who scored the game winning goal was draped with a Mexico flag after he scored. Why is it ok for Irmo fans to wave the Rasta flag, im sure half those kids were high and used it as a symbol to promote marijuana and their "Rasta" friends playing on the field. This is ridiculous, professional players and teams do this too. Did you see the Champions League final, Eto'o was wearing the Cameroon flag and Pandev the Macedonian. I didn't see Massimo Moratti or any other Internazionale staff get upset about this and tell them to wear an Italian flag. Get over it Hurst.

Last edited by Leopold.Bloom; 05/23/10 03:53 PM.

H
kick off
kick off
H
I know it is hard admitting that the State Champs do anything that is wrong. But antagonizing fans, even if it is 10-20% that it bothers, is still antogonizing. We have a diverse country. Americans whose ancestors came from Africa(13% of our population) would be very offended by specific things being done at athletic events. There can't even be a public, non-denominational prayer said at games because someone(very few in number) MIGHT be offended. Stop intentionally irritating people! Put a bumper sticker on your car, buy a 100 t-shirts, be proud of where you come from. Irmo can buy Bob Marley warm-ups, but leave the "wrap myself in my foreign country" flag stuff out of it. It is irritating!

NW is wrong to allow it, Irmo was wrong doing it.
You all seem to be very tolerant, until it comes to something you all do or support, wrong as it is.

Go U.S.A. ! NW and IRMO are U.S.A. American teams representing the U.S.A. and the U.S. public taxpayer. How much support did Liberia, Mexico, Korea, Costa Rica, Uruguay or the Philippines send to any public high school to provide the education and sporting events that we ALL attend? I'll answer that tough question for you all ---> NONE. Nada...nothing.

goal kick
goal kick
Quote:

There can't even be a public, non-denominational prayer said at games because someone(very few in number) MIGHT be offended. Stop intentionally irritating people!

Separation of church and state duh obviously that is not allowed. Oh but wait as long as a student does it, it is perfectly legal. Maybe you should brush up on your Supreme Court case history before you go making brash comments like this!

T
bench
bench
T
1. Northwestern is the best and knows how to win in clutch games!

2. Northwestern has every right to represent flags of countries that some of their players come from.. it is diversity.

3. IRMO- So much for the gatorade player of the year? Knew that was a joke.. didnt even know he was on the field. Acree was falling down every other play. Padula was wearing freaking gloves???

4. Irmo really needs to get out of the false reality they live in where they believe that they are Rastafarians and what not. Obviously the pot smoking is not working out for you guys.

That game just showed everyone that irmo doesnt score quality goals. Poor Padula and his long throw ins.. they just couldnt cut it.

NORTHWESTERN CHAMPIONS!!!!!! AGAIN!!!!! So proud

P
goal kick
goal kick
P
Quote:

Acree was falling down every other play.

You must have missed garbonzo, Ive never seen so many dives. the kid is a wank. Martinez is right there with him

T
bench
bench
T
Will the real slim shady please stand up.

Last edited by Trojan4Ever; 05/23/10 04:47 PM.
T
bench
bench
T
Quote:

Quote:

You must have missed garbonzo, Ive never seen so many dives. the kid is a wank. Martinez is right there with him

Someone call the wambulance

H
kick off
kick off
H
Duh....Leopold....the Supreme Court case(right or wrong) was why I was saying that "you CAN'T do it". That whole case, my historical friend, was brought by a small group that was offended. Brush up my friend.

Teams used noisemakers at HS games this year. It was as irritating as the foreign flag waving.

Every right? I disagree. So, I suppose it would be OK to wrap yourself in flags of every kind....including a few that have been mentioned. Why not, the door is open. Don't say that some offend and some don't. Not good enough. Can't discriminate.

Teenagers can celebrate their diversity in many ways other than this. I see different faces on the field brought together by ONE country. I celebrate that.

Happy for the NW team that played well all year, overcame diversity, played together as one U.S. team, thru injuries and some of the guys traveling with club teams. They deserve to be State Champs. Go U.S.A. NW team!

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

I know it is hard admitting that the State Champs do anything that is wrong. But antagonizing fans, even if it is 10-20% that it bothers, is still antogonizing. We have a diverse country. Americans whose ancestors came from Africa(13% of our population) would be very offended by specific things being done at athletic events. There can't even be a public, non-denominational prayer said at games because someone(very few in number) MIGHT be offended. Stop intentionally irritating people! Put a bumper sticker on your car, buy a 100 t-shirts, be proud of where you come from. Irmo can buy Bob Marley warm-ups, but leave the "wrap myself in my foreign country" flag stuff out of it. It is irritating!

You all seem to be very tolerant, until it comes to something you all do or support, wrong as it is.

Go U.S.A. ! NW and IRMO are U.S.A. American teams representing the U.S.A. and the U.S. public taxpayer. How much support did Liberia, Mexico, Korea, Costa Rica, Uruguay or the Philippines send to any public high school to provide the education and sporting events that we ALL attend? I'll answer that tough question for you all ---> NONE. Nada...nothing.

im sure you feel really proud of your military family, i feel great about my dad being a lawyer and a college professor as well.

when italy was the world champion, many many italian-americans went to the streets of boston and new york to party with italian flags all over, most of them didnt know anything about soccer, most of them prob never been to italy and do not speak italian but they were still celebrating their roots and their blood... heck if you look at the videos, even black people was out there celebrating with them, it was an excuse to party for some non-italian americans.

it does not surprise me at all, you are from the south, there is not much diversity here, but is not againts the law the wave anothers country flag anywhere in the world, and as long as is not againts the law, people can do it and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

im sure you dont celebrate st patricks as well bc is unamerican to celebrate an irish-catholic tradition... get it?

is never too late to read the constitution and to learn that america is what it is bc of many different countries and cultures.

pm me for further talk, and let the high school kids celebrate what they acomplished.

Club of the century.
goal kick
goal kick
Quote:

I know it is hard admitting that the State Champs do anything that is wrong. But antagonizing fans, even if it is 10-20% that it bothers, is still antogonizing. We have a diverse country. Americans whose ancestors came from Africa(13% of our population) would be very offended by specific things being done at athletic events. There can't even be a public, non-denominational prayer said at games because someone(very few in number) MIGHT be offended. Stop intentionally irritating people! Put a bumper sticker on your car, buy a 100 t-shirts, be proud of where you come

from. Irmo can buy Bob Marley warm-ups, but leave the "wrap myself in my foreign country" flag stuff out of it. It is irritating!

Is this seriously a joke? Stop irritating people, really that is your main argument.. that it was irritating. God are you 3? can you not handle it. Stop b***hing you 45 year old conservative christian. Get over it. America is a diverse nation with a diverse culture. So is it un-American or irritating like alma said when people celebrate St. Pattys day or Cinco de Mayo. No, hell, you probably celebrate them as much as the next guy. I don't get what your beef is? No one said that NW wasn't a team from America or and American team. Of course they are, but here is diversity within their team so let them celebrate it. People like you crush open-mindedness of youth today

Last edited by shirtless bernie; 05/23/10 05:11 PM.

G'd up from the feet up
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Quote:

Good to see that I've touched a nerve. Irmo with Jamaican flags? That's unnecessary too. It's cheezy, it's antagonizing to others, and unnecessary at games. It's not respectful.

in YOUR opinion...which is provided to you by the freedoms the American Flag represents...which is also proudly displayed on the NW sideline.

And like you said...you are certainly free to have and express your opinion...doesn't mean I have to like it. But I certainly respect your right to speak it...

S
bench
bench
S
Quote:

Quote:

Martinez was on the ground crying 3 or 4 times during the game, and as soon as the ball came back on his side of the field, he would get up and sprint to the ball. Makes complete sense.

H
kick off
kick off
H
Keep ur shirt on, shirtless. "Are you 3"? Really? Is that the best YOU can do? You're being typically hypocritical. Don't you care about my feelings as much as say .... someone from some other country? When one of these kids get hurt, putting their nationality in other faces...please tell me then, that you would be in favor of HS's limiting this FREE form of expression. I would never do it, but there are plenty nuts out there that would. Go hug some "different" trees.

Irritating, yes it is. We will never come together as one country with your anti-Christian, anti-conservative, anti USA opinions. You need to be more tolerant of 45 yr. old Chritian conservatives. Do you think this is where we came from? At least you acknowledge God, in your 3rd sentence. Maybe that makes you an age greater than 3.

Alma....why do you think the south is not diverse? I may NOT be from the south. You make a big assumption. It's not constitutional to do that. :-) I've read the constitution many times. While we may have the RIGHT to do it, does not mean that we SHOULD do it. The schools regulate many things that our kids are free to do. They call them RULES. For example, we have freedom of speech(constitutionally), but the Irmo fans should not have been yelling BS or [censored] at the game at refs. or NW players. It is offensive to some, but not all. It should NOT be allowed at these HS games.
Waving of the foreign flags while may be constitutionally allowed incites people. It too should not be allowed.

Goal
Goal
Seriously, Irmo posters need to go back in their holes til 2011.

goal kick
goal kick
Never thought I would agree with Alma Merengue, heres a 5 star rating for you! Won't it be ironic when Hardtruth team makes it to the final next year and they have some great exchange student that leads them to the final, and all the high schoolers will be waving his countrys flag at the game. He wont be complaining then.

And hardtruth im saying it IS allowed to have a non-denominational STUDENT LEAD prayer at high school sporting events, as long as a teacher or administrator or religious affiliate does not preach about religion or politics or has any say it in at all.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!! I think this is Hardtruth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGSN7JVg1yQ

goal kick
goal kick
No, I don't care about the feelings of someone making ridiculous remarks about something as trivial as waving flags of other nations at a soccer game.

And if they got hurt, and put their nationality in someones face? what do you mean by that cause i don't quite get it.

And you honestly think the waving of flags of different countries is hindering the nation as a whole in becoming united? Really? At a soccer game in South Carolina. Highly doubt it.

And what exactly makes me an anti-Christian, because of liberal views? Sounds like flawed logic to me.

Sounds like I struck a nerve with the 45 year old conservative christian mark. Sad that it was that easy to tell from a post on a message board about diversity.

And yeah I am a little older than 3, although from your posts my intelligence level doesn't seem to be. In fact, I'm an 18 year old high school student so I am probably wrong because hell what do high schoolers know.

You are writing off my opinion and my viewpoints because of my age and your lack of open-mindedness. Grow up.

Last edited by shirtless bernie; 05/23/10 05:31 PM.

G'd up from the feet up
H
kick off
kick off
H
I agree....it is MY opinion. When these kids wrap themselves in their country's flag....it is disrespectful to the flag that they play under. I know the truth is hard.
Exchange students???....Right. Let's believe that is what they all are.

Alex does whine quite a bit about calls that don't go his way. I've seen him push kids with both hands right in front of refs. and no card was given. I've also seen him score in impressive fashion. He don't need the antics. If he played w/o them, he would be great(er).

Ricky also does NOT need to fish flop. He will get calls w/o carrying that reputation. He's great w/o doing it.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Keep ur shirt on, shirtless. "Are you 3"? Really? Is that the best YOU can do? You're being typically hypocritical. Don't you care about my feelings as much as say .... someone from some other country? When one of these kids get hurt, putting their nationality in other faces...please tell me then, that you would be in favor of HS's limiting this FREE form of expression. I would never do it, but there are plenty nuts out there that would. Go hug some "different" trees.

Irritating, yes it is. We will never come together as one country with your anti-Christian, anti-conservative, anti USA opinions. You need to be more tolerant of 45 yr. old Chritian conservatives. Do you think this is where we came from? At least you acknowledge God, in your 3rd sentence. Maybe that makes you an age greater than 3.

Alma....why do you think the south is not diverse? I may NOT be from the south. You make a big assumption. It's not constitutional to do that. :-) I've read the constitution many times. While we may have the RIGHT to do it, does not mean that we SHOULD do it. The schools regulate many things that our kids are free to do. They call them RULES. For example, we have freedom of speech(constitutionally), but the Irmo fans should not have been yelling BS or [censored] at the game at refs. or NW players. It is offensive to some, but not all. It should NOT be allowed at these HS games.
Waving of the foreign flags while may be constitutionally allowed incites people. It too should not be allowed.

been to 7 different countries, 3 of them as a soccer player. lived 4 years in los angeles and 8 years in south carolina, born and raised in a different country.

you have all the the right in the world to complain when you feel something is offensive to you (dont speak for all americans) that may not be the case for everybody.

yes this is mostly a south-eastern point of view and places where there is little diversity (is ok to be wrong sometime) i have been in road trips from east to west coast. when you go throught places in texas, you start appreciating the spanish language, culture and architecture, palm spring california is a great way to appreciate the anglo-spanish-moorish combined-architecture and life style.

when you go to seven oaks in los angeles, you will as well appreciate middle eastern and eastern european architecture and culture.

if 51% of the fans approved your claim, we are talking of an issue because the majority has spoken, even if is legal, it may prevent bad situations from happening. the truth is, im sure you are in the minority here. im willing to bet 60% or more of the fans at the stadium find the flags to be a non-insulting, so is not really a problem but in your mind.

like i said, if you find the flags insulting.

you probably find st patricks, mardi grass, chrismast, and the game of soccer insulting because they are all european culture and traditions, they are not american.

Club of the century.
H
kick off
kick off
H
Keep you shirt on....18 yr. old HS liberal. You got rather scattered in your last responses. Grow up sonny. Open less of your mind...instead, open your eyes. Rediculous you are being. Be open-minded and more caring. I pay for your liberal education.

Let me help you "Get it". There are people that DO NOT like the idea of someone in this country wagging a flag of a different country in their face. These people only need a stupid reason to hurt someone....even at a HS soccer game. My point is "why antagonize people".

Think beyond yourself, and care about the feelings of all people....not just yourself. I and many others do not appreciate it. That should be enough for you to take my feelings into consideration. But no, you make fun of my opinion and ask if I am 3. You make light of Christian, 45 yr. olds....so I have to assume you are "against" that. Understand that?

Again, wake up and smell the coffee. You struck no nerve with me.

NW/IRMO/the Mexican kid that wrapped himself....LEAVE the flags at home. Put them on your clothes/cars/houses. Do you REALLY need the extra attention?

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Quote:

When these kids wrap themselves in their country's flag....it is disrespectful to the flag that they play under

again...in YOUR opinion.

It is because of the flag they play under that they can wrap themselves in their country's flag. Therein lies the TRUTH...not just my opinion. PERIOD.

bench
bench
The beautiful thing is that we ARE in America and thus can take part in this conversation in the first place. How can there possibly be anything wrong with people waving national flags or saying "non-denominational" prayers? Would a denominational prayer be better? Not trying to put words in anyones mouth. The majority of these players were in the same game last year. They know what to expect. Respect? This is America.

goal kick
goal kick
Quote:

Keep you shirt on....18 yr. old HS liberal. You got rather scattered in your last responses. Grow up sonny. Open less of your mind...instead, open your eyes. Rediculous you are being. Be open-minded and more caring. I pay for your liberal education.

Let me help you "Get it". There are people that DO NOT like the idea of someone in this country wagging a flag of a different country in their face. These people only need a stupid reason to hurt someone....even at a HS soccer game. My point is "why antagonize people".

Think beyond yourself, and care about the feelings of all people....not just yourself. I and many others do not appreciate it. That should be enough for you to take my feelings into consideration. But no, you make fun of my opinion and ask if I am 3. You make light of Christian, 45 yr. olds....so I have to assume you are "against" that. Understand that?

NW/IRMO/the Mexican kid that wrapped himself....LEAVE the flags at home. Put them on your clothes/cars/houses. Do you REALLY need the extra attention?

Maybe you need some of that liberal education considering you can't spell ridiculous. And just because people don't like it means they should stop? Honestly it was one high school soccer game and if it bothered you that much then that is what is ridiculous.

No, I make light of the fact that just about any older person making remarks like the ones you have must have to be blinded by their conservative views my friend. The fact I said Christian is because you made a reference to prayer in schools which is a completely different topic that we have already discussed in a thread in the Girls forum.

And taking your feelings into consideration does not change my views. I wasn't even one of the kids up there waving around flags of different countries. But this is America, I cannot honestly take you serious when you say that the waving of other countries' flags should be banned at high school events. That is just completely ridiculous. Sorry you are offended at that but get over it. Take a trip outside of the South and see how many people agree with you.

G'd up from the feet up
H
kick off
kick off
H
Exactly...don't make wide sweeping opinions about people from the south. When we were integrated completely in our schools, Boston was still having race-riots years later. I grew up around diversity everywhere. I totally repect diversity and other peoples' rights to do and say things. That, of course, doesn't make them right or tasteful to do so.

I expect that rules about what you can say or do specifically concerning "people of color" may be constitutionally allowed, but still in poor taste. At our HS, you would be suspended for saying such "free speech" things.

The flag waving can be incinerary, but let's let it continue and say nothing because the #1 team in the state condones it. That is TRUTH....I know it's hard.

bench
bench
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe you need some of that liberal education considering you can't spell ridiculous. And just because people don't like it means they should stop? Honestly it was one high school soccer game and if it bothered you that much then that is what is ridiculous.

No, I make light of the fact that just about any older person making remarks like the ones you have must have to be blinded by their conservative views my friend. The fact I said Christian is because you made a reference to prayer in schools which is a completely different topic that we have already discussed in a thread in the Girls forum.

And taking your feelings into consideration does not change my views. I wasn't even one of the kids up there waving around flags of different countries. But this is America, I cannot honestly take you serious when you say that the waving of other countries' flags should be banned at high school events. That is just completely ridiculous. Sorry you are offended at that but get over it. Take a trip outside of the South and see how many people agree with you.

It is ridiculous. Especially when Irmo was waving the rasta flag. We all know what that means. Theres no denying it. But I'm not against either one and hope that by the time I'm 45 there will be twice as many flags flown at the state championship and that the youth flying it will not have to worry about others looking down on them for it.

S
bench
bench
S
Quote:

So, using your logic:
Playing soccer may offend some people. Since it offends people, should we stop playing it too?

corner kick
corner kick
new york is playing juventus from italia right now.

click on the link, im watching it, my team play the national tittle later on.

http://www.justin.tv/kalintv2#r=rCdV6cs~

Club of the century.
H
kick off
kick off
H
Not saying that at all soccerman. Waving the flags can be incinerary....as can the deragatory things that people yell to the refs. and players.

Bad logic there soccerman.

H
kick off
kick off
H
Yes....hopefully by the time you're 45, they will all be waving the flag of the country whose national anthem is played at the beginning of the game. Maybe you will be there to hand out the little U.S.A. flags. I'm not 45 by the way.

S
bench
bench
S
There are many people against schools focusing their money, among other things, on athletics, instead of focusing it on academics.

You said that because people took offense to the flags, that should be enough for them to stop doing it. Under the same logic you used, we should stop playing soccer, because some people take offense to it, and that should be enough for us to stop.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Exactly...don't make wide sweeping opinions about people from the south. When we were integrated completely in our schools, Boston was still having race-riots years later. I grew up around diversity everywhere. I totally repect diversity and other peoples' rights to do and say things. That, of course, doesn't make them right or tasteful to do so.

I expect that rules about what you can say or do specifically concerning "people of color" may be constitutionally allowed, but still in poor taste. At our HS, you would be suspended for saying such "free speech" things.

The flag waving can be incinerary, but let's let it continue and say nothing because the #1 team in the state condones it. That is TRUTH....I know it's hard.

with all the respect you deserve sir.

if church does not teach this, you should enroll into the following philosophy college classes, there are great books out there as well in a public library.

1. Ethics
2. Reasoning
3. Logic

we all love the usa and south carolina but this isnt about any flag, this is about learning and understanding heritage and cultures.

Club of the century.
goal kick
goal kick
Hardtruth, read this!: “The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about”

H
kick off
kick off
H
Oh please spare me the understanding. I'm not originally from the USA. I understand plenty. I am diverse.

Leopold....read this..."Ignorance is bliss". That's where you're residing. Maybe it is YOU that know nothing about where I am coming from on this issue.

Maybe our future Olympians should play for the USA, but when they win or lose....they jump around with the flag of their origin....just to show culture and heritage.

Flags obviously mean only where you come from to you guys.....they mean much more to me.

But AGAIN....I have no problem with the kids freedom of expression in so many different ways, concerning their origin. But HS soccer games are not the venue. I guess it will take a fight or someone getting hurt because of this. If you can't see the obvious setup for problems, then turn a blind eye.

Do they do this at football, baseball, tennis or lacrosse? Just curious.

S
bench
bench
S
Football, baseball, tennis, or lacrosse, are not as diverse or international sports as soccer is.

Also, this is not the olympics, this is high school soccer. Your olympics statement is invalid, because if it were the olympics, I would imagine these players would be playing for the country of the flag that their fans are waving, not for the USA.

Last edited by soccerman28; 05/23/10 07:37 PM.
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Quote:

Apparently, you don't get out much...or watch the EPL games much....wonder if England has a problem with the players who are from other countries being draped in their native flag while playing for, say, ManU or Chelsea...

In case you forgot...soccer is the largest sport in the WORLD...and in many cases, a country's only sport. America is lot later in coming to the soccer table. Soccer in of itself is a huge culturally diverse sport...probably the largest culturally diverse sport there is.

Dude...get over yourself. There are much bigger issues going on in the world today to worry your pretty little head over. If seeing other countries flags flying at a high school soccer match offends you THAT much...stay home.

Oh, and while your at it...you might want to stay away from Winthrop University's campus as they have flags from all over the world lining the streets throughout the entire campus. I wonder if its because they have students from all over the world attending their university...I'd hate for you to be offended, especially since its a public university and receives public monies. Just wanted to save you the aggravation....

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Quote:

Do they do this at football, baseball, tennis or lacrosse? Just curious

Not usually...largely because these predominantly AMERICAN sports...soccer is not an AMERICAN sport.

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Quote:

The flag waving can be incinerary

By the way...have you noticed that the it appears the only person those flags have incited is YOU?

H
kick off
kick off
H
Taylorbabe....dude....it does bother me...and please don't give me this international crap. I am not from the US, but I'm totally proud of what it stands for. Travel to some of these countries and let me know how you get treated there.

Other sports are as international as soccer. Where have you been? I WILL stay at home as will many other people that are sick and tired of the "where I'm from" flags.
Or, we'll continue to come and think how stupid and class-less it is. Pass the cowbell, I mean the flag please.

Or....maybe I'll come and see my tax dollars at work. Why don't YOU stay at home? When you have no more argument, you say "stay at home"? How about this.....if they are so proud of their countries....return them to them and play soccer there". Bring USA flags with you and wave them.

You are right....there are bigger issues....this is just one. It's sad, but it is one. Get over YOURSELF. 2 sides to this issue. Isn't the USA great?

M
brace
brace
M
Congratulations Northwestern on your third consecutive State Championship in a rivalry dating back to 2003 when I first started shooting video.

Both programs have elevated the level of high school soccer to a point of filling up stadiums that were once empty compared to the crowds we see today.

On the issue of the game, for all of the criticism given Alex Martinez, I credit him with a tremendous defensive effort and the ability to play to the strengths of his team. His ability to hit Ricky and Dennis with passes when he got the ball against the run of play is what ultimately broke IRMO down. Defenders have to be right all of the time and Strikers have to be right part of the time. Ricky Garbanzo is one of those players who will convert 50% of the time.

IRMO showed much more poise in terms of style of play and possession, but it was the shear power of those three individuals that carried the offensive ability for NW last night.

The comeback IRMO mounted when everyone thought the wheels had come off when it was 3-0 after going into the half at 0-0 showed great team character. Every player should hold their head high as the number of goals scored during that period say nothing about the multiple near misses created by IRMO throughout the game and particularly after going down by 3.

The final goal by Dennis was the last thing I wanted to see happen as we had pushed up, but boy was is a great buildup and finish to see. It may be the only NW goal I caught on video as I was all the way down on the other end of the pitch.

I obviously hate to see the loss for the IRMO squad, but at the end of the day it's all about creating your chances, being competitive, playing with pride and leaving it all on the field. Both teams did that last night.

IRMO will be back in form in 2011 and we all know Northwestern will be as well. The battle between these two will hopefully come down to an Upper State Championship as IRMO moves back to Upper State in 2011 and 2012. Thanks for the great memories IRMO, NW and especially Ricky. Your five goals over the past two years are the stuff of dreams. I expected nothing less, but certainly hoped for less. Well done Sir!

Also, congrats to the IRMO seniors who led the team all year. Each of you have been a pleasure to know and watch grow as individuals and players. Go out into the world and continue to make a difference.

H
kick off
kick off
H
By the way, Taylorbabe....my sphere expands much further than you and a few. I've talked to plenty of people that feel the same. Whenever people speak up about something, the ones that see no problem with it are the most vocal. Defense you might say. You know that. No need to point it out.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

By the way...have you noticed that the it appears the only person those flags have incited is YOU?

While not incited by it, I am confused by it.
It's like those d*mn yankees that come down south (to stay) and tell you how great things up north are.

goal kick
goal kick
The flags are simply a statement to the diversity in the USA. We live in a very diverse community, and coincidently, NW is proud of their diversity on the team and are not afraid to tell you that.

By failing to prepare, you prepare to fail.
goal
goal
Quote:

Congratulations Northwestern on your third consecutive State Championship in a rivalry that dates back to 2003 when I first started shooting video of the matchup.

Both programs have elevated the level of high school soccer to a point of filling up stadiums that were once empty compared to the crowds we wee today.

On the issue of the game itself, for all the criticism given Alex Martinez, I credit him with a tremendous defensive effort and the ability to play to the strengths of his team. His ability to hit Ricky and Dennis with passes when he got the ball against the run of play is what broke IRMO down.

IRMO showed much more poise in terms of style of play and possession, but it was the shear power of those three individuals that carried the offensive ability for NW last night.

The comeback IRMO mounted when everyone thought the wheels had come off when it was 3-0 after going into the half at 0-0 showed great team character. Every player should hold their head high as the number of goals scored during that period say nothing about the multiple near misses created by IRMO.

The final goal by Dennis with the assist from Ricky and Alex was nothing short of amazing and may be the only NW goal I caught on video as I was all the way down on the other end of the pitch.

I obviously hate to see the loss for the IRMO squad, but at the end of the day it's all about being creating your chances, competitive, playing with pride and leaving it all on the field.

IRMO will be back in form in 2011 and we all know Northwestern will be as well. Thanks for the great memories IRMO, NW and especially Ricky. Your five goals over the past two years are stuff of dreams. I expected nothing less, but certainly hoped for less. Well don Sir!

Also, congrats to the IRMO seniors who led the team all year. Each of you have been a pleasure to know and what grow as individuals and players. Go out into the world and continue to make a difference.

Manchester, why do you use all capital letters when referencing Irmo? Newspapers, television stations, and other media don't spell it that way and the school itself has never referred to itself as IRMO.

From the irmo High School web site:

Irmo falls within both Lexington and Richland Counties and is located within 10 miles of the capital, Columbia. The origin of Irmo tells the story of the railroad's influence. Irmo was incorporated in 1890 and flourished along the tracks of the Columbia, Newberry and Laurens railroads on the high ridge between the rivers. The town was named by combining the first two letters of the names of two railroad company men - C.J. Iredell and H.C. Moseley

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
M
brace
brace
M
Quote:

Quote:

Congratulations Northwestern on your third consecutive State Championship in a rivalry that dates back to 2003 when I first started shooting video of the matchup.

Both programs have elevated the level of high school soccer to a point of filling up stadiums that were once empty compared to the crowds we wee today.

On the issue of the game itself, for all the criticism given Alex Martinez, I credit him with a tremendous defensive effort and the ability to play to the strengths of his team. His ability to hit Ricky and Dennis with passes when he got the ball against the run of play is what broke IRMO down.

The comeback IRMO mounted when everyone thought the wheels had come off when it was 3-0 after going into the half at 0-0 showed great team character. Every player should hold their head high as the number of goals scored during that period say nothing about the multiple near misses created by IRMO.

The final goal by Dennis with the assist from Ricky and Alex was nothing short of amazing and may be the only NW goal I caught on video as I was all the way down on the other end of the pitch.

I obviously hate to see the loss for the IRMO squad, but at the end of the day it's all about being creating your chances, competitive, playing with pride and leaving it all on the field.

IRMO will be back in form in 2011 and we all know Northwestern will be as well. Thanks for the great memories IRMO, NW and especially Ricky. Your five goals over the past two years are stuff of dreams. I expected nothing less, but certainly hoped for less. Well don Sir!

Also, congrats to the IRMO seniors who led the team all year. Each of you have been a pleasure to know and what grow as individuals and players. Go out into the world and continue to make a difference.

Manchester, why do you use all capital letters when referencing Irmo? Newspapers, television stations, and other media don't spell it that way and the school itself has never referred to itself as IRMO.

From the irmo High School web site:

Irmo falls within both Lexington and Richland Counties and is located within 10 miles of the capital, Columbia. The origin of Irmo tells the story of the railroad's influence. Irmo was incorporated in 1890 and flourished along the tracks of the Columbia, Newberry and Laurens railroads on the high ridge between the rivers. The town was named by combining the first two letters of the names of two railroad company men - C.J. Iredell and H.C. Moseley

'IRMO' in all caps is consistent with the way the name is displayed on every team uniform in the school.

goal
goal
Well all I can say is that NO ONE ELSE BUT YOU will refer to irmo that way when referring to IRedell/MOseley High School.

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
corner kick
corner kick
"I guess it will take a fight or someone getting hurt because of this. If you can't see the obvious setup for problems, then turn a blind eye."

hardtruth
Are you serious? Are you that narrow minded? You would think you were talking about someone waving a nazi or confederate flag. Seems to me you may have some serious anger issues to continue to on and on about how much this annoys you. Almost sounds like you're annoyed to the point that you're ready to fight. Doesn't sound like a very Christian response. Maybe the origin of your name is that it's hard for you to deal with the truth.

Goal
Goal
If I’m proud of my southern heritage, I can’t wave a confederate flag because I may offend someone, however If I’m offended by you waving a non-American flag, then screw you, live with it. Hmmm….doesn ‘t seem too diverse to me.

H
kick off
kick off
H
Look Coach 'em...I do not and have not called anyone narrow-minded or an idiot. Some of the responses to me have been.
If you allow this harmless gesture of "flag-flying" you cannot say ANYTHING about ANYONE waving a Confederate flag, a Taliban flag, a Russian Sickle/Hammer flag. Ready to fight...you REALLY have missed the point. I am not your worry, but there will come a time that someone will be. If you don't believe that it incites people explain to me the things that we all hear yelled by fans.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Gotta give Props to NW and their team. Sure Alex, Dennis, and Ricky were great factors... but the entire team showed up and contributed to the victory... might I add, well coached too. Also, I do know Alex and was proud of him when he came over to the IRMO sidelines in front of the students to throw-in a ball with less than 5 minutes left... and with the crowd passionately roaring against him, he smiled and gave the thumbs-up and went about his business. Congrats also to IRMO for a good season.

throw in
throw in
im pretty sure anyone carrying a Nazi flag, Taliban flag, or Soviet Union flag would not be allowed to bring it into the game in the game.. how you can make an argument that terrorist organizations and communist/socialist parties flags are on the same level as a foreign country's flag is beyond me.

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Quote:

By the way, Taylorbabe....my sphere expands much further than you and a few.

Do you know me personally? If not, then don't claim to know where I've been or anything about my life.

Quote:

Or....maybe I'll come and see my tax dollars at work. Why don't YOU stay at home? When you have no more argument, you say "stay at home"

No more argument? I'm not the one who is complaining--YOU ARE. I simply made the suggestion that if this flag thing bothers you so much, then stay home. Why subject yourself to the aggravation??

I've got plenty of "argument" in me...but I think the points of the argument have been made. I don't agree with you, and that's perfectly fine with me. I'm just very thankful I live in a country where differing viewpoints are embraced. You obviously have an issue with this. My advice to you: If you don't like the freedoms we are allowed in this country, perhaps you should return to wherever you are from.

Soccer is a multi-cultural sport. If flags from other countries are flown in the stands of high school soccer matches, then so be it. If you don't want to see these flags flown, then either:
1. stay home, OR
2. put your big-girl panties on and deal with it.

If I had to speculate, the flags aren't going away anytime soon...so I guess the choice is yours and yours alone.

S
bench
bench
S
Quote:

If I’m proud of my southern heritage, I can’t wave a confederate flag because I may offend someone, however If I’m offended by you waving a non-American flag, then screw you, live with it. Hmmm….doesn ‘t seem too diverse to me.

The confederate flag does not stand for the south. The confederate flag stands for slavery. Do you support slavery, sir?

throw in
throw in
seems like you need a history lesson. the confederate flag is the battle flag of the soldiers who fought for the confederacy during the civil war first appearing at the battle of manassas and used as the primary battle flag for the rest of the war.. there was slavery all over the united states not just in the south sir. the flag is now primarily used in remembrance of those soldiers and the sacrifice they gave to defend their families and land. an implied meaning of the flag is southern pride but that is not the true meaning furthermore slavery is another implied meaning of the flag from people who do not know what it really stands for. im sure he does not support slavery.

S
bench
bench
S
Quote:

seems like you need a history lesson. the confederate flag is the battle flag of the soldiers who fought for the confederacy during the civil war first appearing at the battle of manassas and used as the primary battle flag for the rest of the war.. there was slavery all over the united states not just in the south sir. the flag is now primarily used in remembrance of those soldiers and the sacrifice they gave to defend their families and land. an implied meaning of the flag is southern pride but that is not the true meaning furthermore slavery is another implied meaning of the flag from people who do not know what it really stands for. im sure he does not support slavery.

There WAS slavery all over the United States, and then, there was a law that abolished it. However, the southern states didn't like this law, so they succeeded. The SOLE reason they left, was to continue to have slavery. All of the soldiers who fought for the confederacy were fighting FOR SLAVERY.

H
kick off
kick off
H
Soccerman....review history please. The Emancipation Proclamation did not cover the North. They got to keep their slaves after the war. Slavery was a MINOR issue when the war began. Review please. Google works.

Keep all the flags. Let them all in....no exceptions. No one should be upset because we're all diverse. Right? Yo can't start saying one is good, another is not. Soccer is a team sport, even though people come from different places. Maybe they should put their flag insigna on their uniforms so we all know....like Disney World.

It's cheezy. I don't like it. Leave it at that.
Maybe some like it...but when people yell inciteful things because you're waving them all around, don't be surprised. It's an "in your face" action. I wouldn't want it at my school....and thank goodness it's not.

Wrap yourself in the U.S. flag and thank God every day that you are here. Go "Northwestern" from the south and number one in the great state of South Carolina!
I really like "most" of the guys at NW. Great soccer program.

S
bench
bench
S
By 1860, sectional disagreements between North and South revolved primarily around the maintenance or expansion of slavery. Historian Drew Gilpin Faust observed that "leaders of the secession movement across the South cited slavery as the most compelling reason for southern independence."

The Confederacy was fighting for slavery. You can twist and turn it however you want, if slavery was not an issue, the southern states would have never seceded.

goal kick
goal kick
It might have been an issue but the Emancipation Proclomation, issued in 1862 after the start of the Civil War, only freed slaves in the states of rebellion. Not in the Union states.

This is totally off topic and we all know, whether right or wrong, that the Confederate flag has been construed to represent slavery since the Civil War. While many use it as a symbol of Southern pride and heritage, which it is, it has become more than just and now non-Whites, Native Americans, African Americans, Asian Americans, see it as white pride and racist.

Whatever the case, this discussion should not be in discussion on SCSOCCER. It is perfectly fine for flags of any nation, in my opinion, unless they are used to purposely incite violence, like the Nazi flag or Swastika or the Confederate flag, to be waved at sporting events. Heck in America you can even burn the American flag, Texas v. Johnson!!!!!! And it actually probabyl is ok to wave the Confederate flag at a game, its on our State House grounds and if you watched the Real Madrid Barcelona game from 04, I think, when Ronaldinho destroyed them, you could see a confederate flag in the background.

Just lets get back to discussing the beautiful game and how hard all the young men and women fought this weekend!

H
kick off
kick off
H
Agreed Leopold. Even though Soccerman needs a $.50 history book to dispell misconceptions taught in school....I agree it has nothing to do with the fine game played last night.

I am glad that NW won. I believe they should re-think their irritating habits of fans and some players, but I will never "say" or do anything about it at a game. Some will eventually though. I know that people are free to do silly things. It's really more than celebrating diversity.

I am actually more upset at Irmo fans allowed to continually yell disrespectful things at the refs. and NW players. I'm sure that there may have been some on both sides, but it should have been stopped.

S
bench
bench
S
Read my last post.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
It was a great game. High energy, high emotion. My problem with the flags is blocking views. But I don't sit in the middle of the fans so it doesn't really get in my way.

What I didn't care for were the Irmo fans, probably students, yelling "SUCKS" after every player from NWHS was announced. Classless. Then yelling "B*** S***" after referee calls. Probably made some in attendance who didn't support either team pull for NWHS. I personally like to see good sportsmanship. Guess some don't.

Still a great game.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
manchester, thank you for an insightful post about the game. to listen to those concerned about flags, i would think a game was not played. if all you can say about the 3 time defending champion TROJANS is you dont like their flags just shows how small minded and ignorant u are. none of those boys can help where their parents dedided to give birth to them. none of those boys had a choice when their parents decided to come to the land of the free and home of the brave. by the grace of the king of the universe, we happened to be born here and did nothing to deserve being born here. get over it and move on. where would u rather live, mexico, honduras, or...in abject poverty or in this great land of opportunity? the flags did not get called for a foul, did not score a goal, or defend anything. What will the gripe be next year? what will the excuse be next year? irmo showed class and great will in mounting a seemingly insurmountable 3-0 deficit. great game by two great teams who deserved to be there, and the game lived up to its advance billing.

M
brace
brace
M
Quote:

manchester, thank you for an insightful post about the game. to listen to those concerned about flags, i would think a game was not played. if all you can say about the 3 time defending champion TROJANS is you dont like their flags just shows how small minded and ignorant u are. none of those boys can help where their parents dedided to give birth to them. none of those boys had a choice when their parents decided to come to the land of the free and home of the brave. by the grace of the king of the universe, we happened to be born here and did nothing to deserve being born here. get over it and move on. where would u rather live, mexico, honduras, or...in abject poverty or in this great land of opportunity? the flags did not get called for a foul, did not score a goal, or defend anything. What will the gripe be next year? what will the excuse be next year? irmo showed class and great will in mounting a seemingly insurmountable 3-0 deficit. great game by two great teams who deserved to be there, and the game lived up to its advance billing.

Wolfgang, I respect NW's right to display their flags and respect the rights of those to disagree with their right to do so. Personally, it's not an issue for me as I see the displaying of the flags as a cultural statement embracing the US and the countries of origin of some of their players and not a display of political sentiment. It's just a celebratory affair in my opinion.

H
kick off
kick off
H
Dear wolf-boy....I called no one ignorant and no one small-minded....I just don't like the "in-your-face" foreign flags waved about at a HS soccer game. I was willing to move on, but your assinine response which resorts to name-calling brings me back. I'm not an American Indian, so I could bounce around and flip my native countries' flags in everyone's face. But I don't. I'm as international as anyone on the pitch. I'm happy that the kids are here....hopefully, they came here completely legal. I respect their diversity and embrace their color/nationality/etc. as much as anyone that I know. You don't know me or where I come from. What they are doing is not smart....they are free to do it and you are free to show everyone what they already perceive about you. You can ignore it or think it's cool. I would never belittle your opinion. It's REALLY sad when you have to name-call to have an opinion. Kind of takes away from your substance.

throw in
throw in
guys come on lay off hardtruth he's obviously very very sensitive

H
kick off
kick off
H
Not really squanc....only when someone's opinion is ridiculed as ignorant and small-minded. Seems like having an opinion is as provoking as the flags. Come on guys....just be diverse in others' point of view. I marvel at those that write such things, but at the same time, don't understand what I'm trying to convey. It is amazing. I can assure all of you that I am not the only one with my particular opinion....just the only one willing to write something about it. I've heard so many derogatory statements over the years about the whole issue.

As I've said many times.....happy NW won....Region III is the best. NW team is to be commended on all fronts.

S
bench
bench
S
I still don't understand. What is so wrong about waving a country's flag?

Q
throw in
throw in
Q
Has Hardtruth posted all of his 30 posts on just this "flag issue"??

H
kick off
kick off
H
Nope sure haven't ?-Master....go back and read them. Soccerman...if you want to understand...go back and read the posts. I'm all done. Keep waving the cloth. Someone one day will get busted up for putting it in their face. I've already heard the derogatory comments yelled at games.

bench
bench
you obviously dont know the players or their backgrounds. the fact that you think they have in-your-face intentions while waving the flags is ridiculous. i know every one of the players personally and each is just extremely proud of the things they have overcome in each of their own birth countries. you mean to tell me that if you moved to another country you wouldnt lay claim to the US flag? you would drop all loyalties to the american flag and carry whichever countries flag that you moved to? i dont think so

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Quote:

Has Hardtruth posted all of his 30 posts on just this "flag issue"??

No...only 20 of his/her 30 posts have to do with this flag thing...

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
here is the truth about softlie,er, hardtruth, since his team lost and he cannot find anything negative to say about the trojans and their magnificent performance, he criticizes their heritage. how weak is that? and what i want to know,cause i havent seen any pictures, is in whose face were the flags rubbed? irmo players? irmo coaches? irmo fans? couldn't be the fans cause they werent on the field since u LOST. hardtruth, u lost. period end of story, grow up. find something else to blame for your loss, flags, u gotta be kidding me. what a sore loser.

J
bench
bench
J
There is nothing less to our credit than our neglect of the foreigner and his children, unless it be the arrogance most of us betray when we set out to ''Americanize'' him.

~Charles Horton Cooley

In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.

~Theodore Roosevelt

H
kick off
kick off
H
Woofie,

Please back up a little and actually "read" my posts. I am happy NW won. I like a lot of the kids on the NW team. I believe they had a great game to finish a fine season.

My team did not LOSE. I am grown, unlike elementary posts that I read. I am an immigrant to the U.S. and love the U.S. flag. I celebrate diversity everyday I live....HERE.

I have been the victim of discrimination. Even though we are diverse and we come together as one, I wrap myself in one flag. Waving other countries flags around is more than wearing a t-shirt or jacket or a bumper sticker. Otherwise, flags mean little. To ME, it shows individualism, not cohesiveness. It shouts, "look at me....I'm not from here", but I love the U.S. It doesn't hurt NW when it comes to play, but in the stands fans "look" for something to get emotional about. Some people get really upset that it happens. It is antagonizing and with today's climate and is not the smartest thing to do. I suppose they will have to "get over it",but it's already drawing negative comments in the stands and it's only a matter of time before someone gets more than just words. When that happens, someone else will be a "sore" loser.

S
goal
goal
S
I preface my comments by saying that the flags at the State game did not bother me. However, the discussion is interesting as to when does a flag become offensive? What makes it acceptable for foreign flags to be waved at a public venue yet the American flag is not welcome in a private setting (see story link). Just think our great country actually has a law to allow the flying of our American flag in private just not for renters. I wonder if there is such a law for foreign flags? Rather curious turn of events don't you think.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/26/wis...test=latestnews

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard