Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
S
bench
bench
S
There are many people against schools focusing their money, among other things, on athletics, instead of focusing it on academics.

You said that because people took offense to the flags, that should be enough for them to stop doing it. Under the same logic you used, we should stop playing soccer, because some people take offense to it, and that should be enough for us to stop.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Exactly...don't make wide sweeping opinions about people from the south. When we were integrated completely in our schools, Boston was still having race-riots years later. I grew up around diversity everywhere. I totally repect diversity and other peoples' rights to do and say things. That, of course, doesn't make them right or tasteful to do so.

I expect that rules about what you can say or do specifically concerning "people of color" may be constitutionally allowed, but still in poor taste. At our HS, you would be suspended for saying such "free speech" things.

The flag waving can be incinerary, but let's let it continue and say nothing because the #1 team in the state condones it. That is TRUTH....I know it's hard.

with all the respect you deserve sir.

if church does not teach this, you should enroll into the following philosophy college classes, there are great books out there as well in a public library.

1. Ethics
2. Reasoning
3. Logic

we all love the usa and south carolina but this isnt about any flag, this is about learning and understanding heritage and cultures.

Club of the century.
goal kick
goal kick
Hardtruth, read this!: “The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about”

Perfumes of embraces all him assailed. With hungered flesh obscurely he mutely craved to adore.
H
kick off
kick off
H
Oh please spare me the understanding. I'm not originally from the USA. I understand plenty. I am diverse.

Leopold....read this..."Ignorance is bliss". That's where you're residing. Maybe it is YOU that know nothing about where I am coming from on this issue.

Maybe our future Olympians should play for the USA, but when they win or lose....they jump around with the flag of their origin....just to show culture and heritage.

Flags obviously mean only where you come from to you guys.....they mean much more to me.

But AGAIN....I have no problem with the kids freedom of expression in so many different ways, concerning their origin. But HS soccer games are not the venue. I guess it will take a fight or someone getting hurt because of this. If you can't see the obvious setup for problems, then turn a blind eye.

Do they do this at football, baseball, tennis or lacrosse? Just curious.

S
bench
bench
S
Football, baseball, tennis, or lacrosse, are not as diverse or international sports as soccer is.

Also, this is not the olympics, this is high school soccer. Your olympics statement is invalid, because if it were the olympics, I would imagine these players would be playing for the country of the flag that their fans are waving, not for the USA.

Last edited by soccerman28; 05/23/10 07:37 PM.
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Quote:

The flag waving can be incinerary, but let's let it continue and say nothing because the #1 team in the state condones it. That is TRUTH....I know it's hard.

Apparently, you don't get out much...or watch the EPL games much....wonder if England has a problem with the players who are from other countries being draped in their native flag while playing for, say, ManU or Chelsea...

In case you forgot...soccer is the largest sport in the WORLD...and in many cases, a country's only sport. America is lot later in coming to the soccer table. Soccer in of itself is a huge culturally diverse sport...probably the largest culturally diverse sport there is.

Dude...get over yourself. There are much bigger issues going on in the world today to worry your pretty little head over. If seeing other countries flags flying at a high school soccer match offends you THAT much...stay home.

Oh, and while your at it...you might want to stay away from Winthrop University's campus as they have flags from all over the world lining the streets throughout the entire campus. I wonder if its because they have students from all over the world attending their university...I'd hate for you to be offended, especially since its a public university and receives public monies. Just wanted to save you the aggravation....

-Attitude reflects leadership-
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Quote:

Do they do this at football, baseball, tennis or lacrosse? Just curious

Not usually...largely because these predominantly AMERICAN sports...soccer is not an AMERICAN sport.

-Attitude reflects leadership-
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Quote:

The flag waving can be incinerary

By the way...have you noticed that the it appears the only person those flags have incited is YOU?

H
kick off
kick off
H
Taylorbabe....dude....it does bother me...and please don't give me this international crap. I am not from the US, but I'm totally proud of what it stands for. Travel to some of these countries and let me know how you get treated there.

Other sports are as international as soccer. Where have you been? I WILL stay at home as will many other people that are sick and tired of the "where I'm from" flags.
Or, we'll continue to come and think how stupid and class-less it is. Pass the cowbell, I mean the flag please.

Or....maybe I'll come and see my tax dollars at work. Why don't YOU stay at home? When you have no more argument, you say "stay at home"? How about this.....if they are so proud of their countries....return them to them and play soccer there". Bring USA flags with you and wave them.

You are right....there are bigger issues....this is just one. It's sad, but it is one. Get over YOURSELF. 2 sides to this issue. Isn't the USA great?

M
brace
brace
M
Congratulations Northwestern on your third consecutive State Championship in a rivalry dating back to 2003 when I first started shooting video.

Both programs have elevated the level of high school soccer to a point of filling up stadiums that were once empty compared to the crowds we see today.

On the issue of the game, for all of the criticism given Alex Martinez, I credit him with a tremendous defensive effort and the ability to play to the strengths of his team. His ability to hit Ricky and Dennis with passes when he got the ball against the run of play is what ultimately broke IRMO down. Defenders have to be right all of the time and Strikers have to be right part of the time. Ricky Garbanzo is one of those players who will convert 50% of the time.

IRMO showed much more poise in terms of style of play and possession, but it was the shear power of those three individuals that carried the offensive ability for NW last night.

The comeback IRMO mounted when everyone thought the wheels had come off when it was 3-0 after going into the half at 0-0 showed great team character. Every player should hold their head high as the number of goals scored during that period say nothing about the multiple near misses created by IRMO throughout the game and particularly after going down by 3.

The final goal by Dennis was the last thing I wanted to see happen as we had pushed up, but boy was is a great buildup and finish to see. It may be the only NW goal I caught on video as I was all the way down on the other end of the pitch.

I obviously hate to see the loss for the IRMO squad, but at the end of the day it's all about creating your chances, being competitive, playing with pride and leaving it all on the field. Both teams did that last night.

IRMO will be back in form in 2011 and we all know Northwestern will be as well. The battle between these two will hopefully come down to an Upper State Championship as IRMO moves back to Upper State in 2011 and 2012. Thanks for the great memories IRMO, NW and especially Ricky. Your five goals over the past two years are the stuff of dreams. I expected nothing less, but certainly hoped for less. Well done Sir!

Also, congrats to the IRMO seniors who led the team all year. Each of you have been a pleasure to know and watch grow as individuals and players. Go out into the world and continue to make a difference.

Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard