Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#137607 05/21/10 08:33 PM
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
It's all about the money!!!

I see this come up in post after post. Someone always makes the comment that the only reason large youth soccer clubs exist is to make money. So it makes me wonder, do people actually believe this or is it just people "venting"?

Do you believe youth soccer club make decisions based on what will make the club the most money?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 05/21/10 08:30 PM

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
That's a bit unfair. Aren't us little ones allowed to make some money?

corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
Quote:

That's a bit unfair. Aren't us little ones allowed to make some money?

All clubs (large and small) have to make money to cover the cost of Coaches, administrators, refs, insurance, field rental, affiliation dues (SYCSA, AYSO, US Club …) in some cases clubs own their fields which adds a whole different set of cost. But you never hear of the smaller clubs being “money driven” or are you saying that at Chainhoy you are in it for the money and not the player?

I just really want to know how many people out there truly believe youth soccer clubs (and the people who run them) are in it for the money?

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
G
kick off
kick off
G
Most clubs are non profit organizations. This of course doesn't mean they don't want to make more money than the rival, but it does give a bit of insight as to where the priorities are. No business can survive without a profit, but it's evident in most clubs that much money ultimately goes back to benefit the player in the end through field maintainence and expansion, as well as special ammenities such as clubhouses and weight rooms. Therefore, the club does essentially exist for the benefit of the player.

A
throw in
throw in
A
As non-profits the clubs must file tax forms with the IRS. You can go to Guidestar and look at the clubs IRS filings.
It is public information.
The clubs must list sources of income and their expenses.

S
goal
goal
S
not to muddy the issue but, non-profits are allowed to make a profit.
its just a tax classification & really has nothing to do with this argument

U
throw in
throw in
U
Which clubs in SC are for profit and which ones are non-profit?

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Nonprofit as sandman says isn't really the issue here. I've posted before about the subtle differences and meanings of a nonprofit corporation, tax exempt, and public charity. Any of above can make money but it is just the organizations responsibility to spend it wisely and be held accountable. Public trust issues. We just filed our 2009 papers and I can say we made very little and just donated $500 of what we did back to Cainhoy School and their 'Tiger Buck Store'. We are a public charity by choice, nonprofit and tax exempy under 501c(3). Not saying that to gain any recognition as it is in our mission and values: IT IS EXPECTED, but to point out that you should consider a clubs charter, mission, or values when registering your child (if that is important to you).

I will say I find it odd that some clubs put noncompete clauses on coach contracts if it is 'all about the kids'? That is a question I would ask of your DOC. Can your great coach go over there and help a second set of kids on their day off ? If not, ask why. Protect competitive advantage?, establish differentiator?, worry it will lose you kids? I am very pleased to say we tell our trainers they are welcome to work with whatever club or kids they like as long as they honor our agreement.

I can think of many other telling questions that would tell me a lot about an organization without needing to look at their tax status or incorporation papers (if they are available). Seems to me actions speak louder than words so just check out teh good work your club does whether building fields, donating 20K to the town, or providing scholarships for needy before rushing to judgement on their motive.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
W
bench
bench
W
When in doubt.... follow the money. It usually leads to the root of all action. That works well in the business world, however; i am not so sure that applies across the board concerning athletics.

Most people running these clubs are highly competitive people and want to win. You wont find many of them on Trump's "The Apprentice" or wearing a suit and tie to the office. Club mergers, recruiting etc. are typically about forming a stronger competitive club on the state, regional, or national scene.

Clubs merge to eliminate competition and to grow stronger to compete more successfully against other clubs in the region.

Clubs hold tryout to select the most competitive players for their Premier teams to win state championships.

Clubs recruit players from other clubs to make themselves stronger, not to pad the coffers with additional fees.

Clubs offer "scholarships" to talented players whose families otherwise couldn't afford the fees. This is not humanitarian aid, they want the best players on the field come game time playing for them.

The term "vicious cycle" comes to mind. Clubs take actions to make themselves more competitive, which in turn allows them to win more tournaments or state championships, which in turn makes better players and coaches want to join that club, thus further improving the talent on the team, making them more competitive, and on and on it goes.

Granted it does take money to make the world go around, but i believe the primary motivation is to WIN, and with talent, money also follows.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Not a disagreement, just a follow-up question:

In the cases where a club's primary objective, as you say, is to WIN...

What motivates a club to want to win?

In other words...

"It's important to recruit players and eliminate the competition because it helps us to win."

"It's important to win because..."

?

Last edited by Coach Chass; 05/29/10 05:54 PM.

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard