Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Sweet Feet, I do understand your point and enjoy the exchange. But, here's the part I hate about this discussion.

I've always tried to impress upon my own that you play the game for the love of the game. That's it. And, if you find the effort you put into playing the game well is based on "Will I get a scholarship" or similarly "Will mom give me a dollar for every goal I score", then you're playing for the wrong reason. If you apply your talent and hard work and are fortunate enough to accel and become successful at playing the game well that you love, other things may follow. They may not. But, you play for the love of the game.

The threshhold of what each individual family can afford differs, and when the cost exceeds affordable we either lose players or begin replacing the incentive of love for the game with "How can I make some money out of this?". That's the part I hate.

Excellent post, I totally agree. However,I have a problem coming up with a single premier impact player who has quit due to finances. Some quit when they realize they do not have the talent to play at the next level and there parents always mention the money. News flash to parents, our children realize how costly travel soccer is, there is no need to remind them everyday and put undo pressure on them, just give positive encouragement.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Seems like these discussions always get back to premier girls. Sure, a lot of girls are getting scholarship money but overall, what is the percentage of players getting money. Guys get less money and part of the reason is the NCAA alots fewer scholarships to men's teams (see titleIX). And, I may be wrong, but I think there are more guys teams per age group. I know that for next fall, CESA has 4 teams @u15. Premier, Challenge and 2 Classic, all of who have to buy the $212 kit, pay the $200whatever to the club, plus money to the team. So I think that the whole scholarship only holds water for a select few, not the majority.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Excellent post, I totally agree. However,I have a problem coming up with a single premier impact player who has quit due to finances. Some quit when they realize they do not have the talent to play at the next level and there parents always mention the money. News flash to parents, our children realize how costly travel soccer is, there is no need to remind them everyday and put undo pressure on them, just give positive encouragement.

What about those that are already committed to play at the college level, but leave to play elsewhere and pocket up to $1000+ in change? Can it be assumed money wasn't at least part of the decision?

kdlsc makes a good point. The challenge players pay the same fees as the premier (understand there would be a difference in travel expenses). Since fees differ from one club to another, I wonder if challenge players at one club could pay more than premier players at another.

C
Coach
Coach
C
So if I'm reading correctly...the math works out great if you're one of the five receiving the scholarships, and if everybody invests a significant amount of money to create a team that enables a small percentage to get back more than the entire team invested, then that's good business for everyone.

That about sum it up?

I still remember reading the article last year about the family at a big Arizona club who estimated they had invested about $40,000 over the years in soccer training and their daughter got a $16,000 scholarship. The upside was, she enjoyed the experience and loved the sport, the people she played it with, and the lessons learned...can't crunch numbers on things like that.

I've got good news and bad news...
U
throw in
throw in
U
This might be why 1 club has lost their girls challenge team from last year except for the goalie. Talked to one parent from that team who's player had no interest in playing college soccer,but just liked to play. The parent told me 2 reasons they quit was the price tag was just to high, and the player wanted to enjoy their last year in high school.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Uncle Buck,
I believe it. While others said that they knew of no Premier players to stop playing because of finances, I think with the economy the way it is, the lower levels might decide the time and expense is not worth the missed other experiences. Let's face it, at least at CESA, it seems that the elevator only goes down. In our age group, the one or two players over the last 5 years that have gone from challenge to premier were dropped back down the next year. When they (premier) want to get better, they look outside the club (my problem is there is no real development going on--in our age group anyways). Oh, and add to the cost, team camp. Now that we are not academy age, team camp is not residential. I glossed over the details because we can't afford to send our son, but it was something over $300 if paid early, over $500 after. For camp that you drop them off at the club fields in the a.m. and pick them up in the p.m.! I guess they have to pay the college coaches well--even though they are getting a free recruiting week.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

So if I'm reading correctly...the math works out great if you're one of the five receiving the scholarships, and if everybody invests a significant amount of money to create a team that enables a small percentage to get back more than the entire team invested, then that's good business for everyone.

That about sum it up?

I still remember reading the article last year about the family at a big Arizona club who estimated they had invested about $40,000 over the years in soccer training and their daughter got a $16,000 scholarship. The upside was, she enjoyed the experience and loved the sport, the people she played it with, and the lessons learned...can't crunch numbers on things like that.

I just mentioned the five that I had knowledge of the amount of the scholarship money, by the end of summer each player will have received money to play college soccer.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

This might be why 1 club has lost their girls challenge team from last year except for the goalie. Talked to one parent from that team who's player had no interest in playing college soccer,but just liked to play. The parent told me 2 reasons they quit was the price tag was just to high, and the player wanted to enjoy their last year in high school.

You are friends with most on the challenge team, can you name one of the families on that team that can't afford for there daughter to play? I think not.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Quote:

Uncle Buck,
I believe it. While others said that they knew of no Premier players to stop playing because of finances, I think with the economy the way it is, the lower levels might decide the time and expense is not worth the missed other experiences. Let's face it, at least at CESA, it seems that the elevator only goes down. In our age group, the one or two players over the last 5 years that have gone from challenge to premier were dropped back down the next year. When they (premier) want to get better, they look outside the club (my problem is there is no real development going on--in our age group anyways). Oh, and add to the cost, team camp. Now that we are not academy age, team camp is not residential. I glossed over the details because we can't afford to send our son, but it was something over $300 if paid early, over $500 after. For camp that you drop them off at the club fields in the a.m. and pick them up in the p.m.! I guess they have to pay the college coaches well--even though they are getting a free recruiting week.

I know you say that you glossed over the details so here is a little more information on the CESA team camp. It is difficult to find any camp for less than $500. It is also hard to keep up with the financial pace of soccer at the higher level(for some families).

Details:

Free MATCHFIT� Program from The Sport Source valued at $125
Top U.S. college, club and international staff coaches and counselors
Exposure to 14-20 college coaches from all divisions present at each camp
Air-conditioned hotel rooms
Free backpack
Nightly All-Star games
Hotel breakfast, catered lunch and dinner
24-hour hotel supervision
Detailed written evaluation
Agility training sessions

Coaches attending:

Elmar Bolowich: University of North Carolina Head Coach (NCAA Division 1)
Alan Dawson: Old Dominion University Head Coach (NCAA Division 1)
Darren Powell: Elon University Head Coach (NCAA Division 1)
Shawn Docking: Coastal Carolina University Head Coach (NCAA Division 1)
Pete Petersen: Clayton State University Head Coach (NCAA Division 2)
Peter Fuller: University of Mobile Head Coach (NAIA)
Paul McGinlay: Trinity University Head Coach (NCAA Division 3)
Gary Hammil: Wingate University Head Coach (NCAA Division 2)
Justin Terranova: Methodist University Head Coach (NCAA Division 3)
Kerem Daser: Georgia State University Head Coach (NCAA Division 1)
Adrian Bush: Tampa University Head Coach (NCAA Division 1)
Munga Eketebi: Florida International University Head Coach (NCAA Division 1)

S
goal
goal
S
Kdlsc,

Missed experiences? What was your child doing last weekend while the CESA girls were in NY visiting ground zero?

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard