Print Thread
#13788 12/31/03 01:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One of my friends is a senior and is pretty decent at playing, but he lives in a rural town with no club soccer available. Granted he does play high school soccer, but will it be enough for D2 or D3 colleges to come take a look at him? I realize that nowadays college coaches look for only club talent and don't mess with the high school teams. What would be the best way to attract attention for him?

#13789 12/31/03 04:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
:)What would be the best way to attract attention for him? [Smile]

ok........Do this go make about a 500 or more..flyers with his name on them and just put If soccer player needed Call.(whatever number)
And once you make them put them up every where and on every thing.....and hopefully you will get a call.....just given a few ideas........good luck

#13790 01/12/04 12:00 PM
goal
goal
Write letters to the AD at desired schools with your soccer record so far and your stats on them - height, weight, speed over 50m and 100m. All other relevant details too. Get references from the AD at the school and the soccer coach and anyone else of any worth that you've got. Be careful with the wordage of the letter, don't be too needy, let your talent and ability speak for themselves...but do the whole "I'd love to go to your college" bit too. And, don't lose heart, if you send 100 letters, you'll be lucky to get even one or two possibilities - so send LOADS - each with an "individual" cover letter.

Mise le meas
Af.

#13791 01/12/04 10:57 PM
Brace
Brace
I was actually in this same type of situation. I played at Riverside from 93-96. I was not in a rural town, but my junior and senior year, I tore knee ligaments each year and was prevented from playing any club soccer. I had mild ODP success but had a great junior year and won two state championships.

I came up with a soccer resume and highlight tape. My dad taped every game my junior year and we had them, and my resumes, professionally developed. I wound up with varying offers from UNC-Pembroke, USC-Spartanburg, Charleston Southern. I ultimately chose Lander University where I won a conference title and was on the team when we went to Nationals. We were ranked as high a #2 in D2. Those who know me know that I gave it up too early and I regret it now but that is another story for another thread.

I get tired of people who continually come across that "you have to play high level ODP, be on a regional winning club team, NEVER play high school, train relentlessly and be a 4.0 student". Obviously your choices will be greater if that describes you, but there are places for other players as well.

#13792 01/12/04 11:02 PM
Brace
Brace
One more thing--
Make sure that you attach a personalized cover letter with each packet. The cover letter should not only be personalized with the coach's name but also a quick 2-3 sentence segment about the school or soccer program.

If the letter leads off "Dear Coach," your letter and anything you sent goes straight into the trash without the coach getting any further.

Link Copied to Clipboard