Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
This topic has been discussed a number of times. The author does a nice job of explaining his point.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/c...5901&ver=us

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Here's the real reason it wouldn't happen. LeBron is from a lower income neighborhood in Akron, Ohio. Youth soccer clubs have no interest from youths from the inter-city. Soccer clubs are only looking for kids who's family is willing to pay out between $2,000 - $3,000 a year in club training and travel fees.
LeBron was able to refine his trade on the playground with a $25 basketball. This is why soccer will never succeed in the USA as football, basketball, and baseball have. Soccer clubs in this country are not letting all youths play the game because of their high training, travel fees.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
gbdawgs,

I can't think of one competitive soccer club in the USA that would not invest "scholarship money" into a kid with well above average talent. All competitive clubs want to win and any club director/DOC will waive fees for a promising player who may be financially challenged.

Now.......identifying that kid at an early age may be difficult when the competitive clubs are so focused on the suburbs. (That's where their core customers reside).

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Got it on the second thought, Hurst.

How does that kid with above average talent come to exist in the first place? What encourages him/her to pick up a soccer ball in the first place? Who invests time and training to SEE if he/she develops enough "above average talent" to get noticed and picked up for a scholarship by a competitive club? Who gives that kid the motivation to develop those skills and the belief that he/she might be able to earn that scholarship and play competitively, under our current (majority) system?

I've got good news and bad news...
S
goal
goal
S
The average size shoe of an NBA player is a 14.5 with the 6'-10" + players averaging a cool 17, shaq happens to wear a size 23. One little problem Nike only goes up to a size 13. I guess my point is these guys are just to big to play soccer. How many players in the World Cup weigh over 250 pounds?

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
sweet,
You are absolutely correct. As the author points out, big & bulky doesn't work in soccer.

Chass,
Who helps this kid? Someone with altruistic motives who is capable of teaching technical skills.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Point is, how do we create a culture that gives this kid the idea that he can actually go somewhere with those skills rather than seeing them as a waste of time trying to break into a sport that isn't interested in him? How many kids grow up thinking somewhere in the back of their minds that they COULD grow up to be the next LeBron or Kobe, because basketball is so accessible to them, and how many kids grow up thinking you have to be of privileged class to even think about becoming the next Landon Donovan, because soccer is advertised as a big investment if you want to be successful?

I've got good news and bad news...
throw in
throw in
I posted this earlier but sorta fits in this discussion as well......

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2010/05/17/team-usa-and-the-state-of-the-soccer-nation/

We do need to break the barriers that exist between 'our kids' and 'those kids' in order to have not only better opportunities to develop better players and better teams...but mainly for the opportunities to have better communities and better relationships.......

Last edited by usasoccer; 07/07/10 07:29 PM.
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
I can believe that just a little. Let's do a comparison. Lets take the top AAU basketball team in the Columbia area or Greenville area. I would be willing to bet that a team of 12 aau basketball players about 8 of them comes from a lower income household. I'll be conservative and say 50% of them or 6 of them. If you think a soccer club is going to put half of a premier club team (about 9 players) on scholarship and pay for their travel in Premier League, Academy, ECNL, 2 tournaments a year you haven't been around. This would cause Club Directors to go into cardiac arrest. The only way better athletes will play soccer is if its affordable, and the clubs actually go into the inter-city and train for little or no money., and that won't happen.

bench
bench
First of this is Gary, from New York....Never Anything Too Easy. This good ole buddy system in soccer will always prevail. Like how does the MLS leading goal scorer play very limited minutes in the World Cup or not make the team like Taylor Twellman last World Cup. Or why isn't Freddy Adu on the team making plays. Regardless the US leadership won't put the best, athletic, willing to take chance players on the field hence starting Ricardo Clark who isnt a bad player but not have been put in that role against Ghana. Another comment that PISSED ME OFF during the World Cup, I can't remember the announcer but he said that the US does not have a natural left winger on the team. THATS POOR!!! 300 million people and no impact left winger. Sounds like CRAP once again. And another sidenote GET Alexis Lalas off of TV because he is hurting the sport in the US by constantly downing the American squad! Those comments trickle down to the non-soccer watcher!!

NEVER ANYTHING TOO EASY!!! You Betta Listen Up and Bear Witness!!!!!
corner kick
corner kick
there is not "hood" soccer in the usa.

a kid from the hood would get involved with soccer if his dad was a baller, or his older cousins or brothers were ballers.

in the usa, elite soccer is exclusive to frat daddies, country club members.

that being said. i can only hope that the fat preppy kids get better, and i mean, worlds respect not "all american" respect.

Club of the century.
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Alma, I think you're 100% correct. Just look at the number of minorities and under privledged kids in a soccer club. Do you think there is discrimination by soccer clubs towards minorities?

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Alma, I think you're 100% correct. Just look at the number of minorities and under privledged kids in a soccer club. Do you think there is discrimination by soccer clubs towards minorities?

i dont think that there is racial "discriminatino." is just a business cultural thing.

in other countries, soccer is part of the culture, so you dont have to pay a lot of money to compete in elite competitions, some people do but the most talented players that cannot afford it get help from professional clubs.

in the usa, yes soccer is a business of the upper middle classes, of the suburban son of a lawyer, and what happens with this type of business is that the working classes or the "masses" cant not afford it.

soccer would have to go deeper into the culture of the working classes so they can compete at the same level as the upper classes, but they have to think where to find the money to fund "public" soccer.

in other countries, professional teams develope their elite players, but at the same time, publich high schools also make their competition a lot better.

at least where i come from, a lot of kids in high schools, at 16,17 or 18 years old, are already making money playing for 2nd division clubs. you dont see that happening in the states.

in the states a kid that cannot afford an elite soccer club would hardly ever catch up with a club player.

when you see players like maradona, pele or hugo sanchez who come from very humble homes, they prob played soccer about 5 hours everyday as children in the dusted fields but at the same time, a professional club came after them when they were younger.

soccer is just a new thing to the masses in america, and it will take sometime to develope elite competition for those in the working class.

a lot to say but prob not much to do in south carolina since we only have the charleston battery here.

in other countries, in a city as big as columbia, you will have sometimes 2 professional teams, about 4 teams in the second division and like 10 teams in third division...

third and second division are where most high school players end up, at least the ones that wont go to college and are not good enought to play pro, and they still make money.

Club of the century.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard