Print Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Does anyone think club soccer commitments are hurting high school boys and girls? Are your high school kids complaining about it?

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
What does that mean? How does club hurt HS? If anything it's the other way around.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Sorry I omitted the most important word, TIME. Are your kids complaining about missing out on high school activities such as BB games, Friday night football, homecoming, prom, just being with high school friends, that sort of thing. What I'm asking is do you thik Club soccer hurts the high school experience because of the time commitment. 3 practises a week, gone fri-sun every weekend.

Goal
Goal
It's a choice the kids make. Many are looking at their club commitments as a way to gain entry into college with hopefully, a scholarship.

I haven't seen the challenge and above kids complain about it too much. Some of the classic kids do.

What club team is gone every weekend, Fri-Sun, that is not a RIII team?

There are many club teams that DON'T practice 3 times a week.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Are the kids making the choice, or is it the parents pushing them? Also, what is an RIII team, and when do they play, and how many days a week do they practice?

corner kick
corner kick
I played Premier League games on the weekends, practiced three times a week, and took part time college classes when I was in high school. I don't regret it for a second and my parents never pressured me into it. Playing club doesn't mean you miss out on everything; it just means you have to be more creative about scheduling =). Believe me; I still did plenty back then.

It's been a while and I can't say the same still stands, but some of the girls I played with have little sisters who play both and it doesn't look like they miss out on anything either.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
Goal
Goal
Quote:

Are the kids making the choice, or is it the parents pushing them? Also, what is an RIII team, and when do they play, and how many days a week do they practice?

Well, if you are a RIII team or Region III team (there are only 2 per state in each eligible age group. You have to win the challenge cup and/or be the finalist in order to be invited), then you travel to different states just for your games. That is definitely an all weekend type of deal and you would practice more.

AS far as parents vs kids...I don't know of many kids that don't want to play and are strongly "encouraged" by their parents at that level. It is a major time and financial commitment.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
ak: it sounds like you had a very productive soccer career and alot on your plate, congrats on your success. The only reason I brought this up is that my upstate friend said that the u18 girls at CESA lost over 25 players out of about 40-45 in the u18 girls pool. She said there is no more classic team. She said they have 21 players that are going to divide time between Challenge league, a Premier league, and a league called ECNL. I think I would of had to sleep with one eye open if I put my son through that his senior year. It just sounds like alot of overkill games to me. In fact she said their u18 premier girls team flew to Seattle today with 11 players. No subs??? My question is what are they thinking.

corner kick
corner kick
I think it's a trend to lose players their junior/senior year as they realise they don't want to play in college and just aren't interested in putting that much time and effort into the game at that point. I quit my team during summer training for regionals because I was entering college in the fall (unlike most of my rising senior teammates)and not interested in two-a-day, every day practices. I preferred to have a job and save up money to enjoy the summer. I know a lot of fellow players who made similar decisions their last year or so of high school for the same reasons: different priorities.

That said, combining ECNL, Premier, and Challenge seems a bit strenuous. A pool means not everyone is going to play all three all the time, but it's still asking a lot compared to manning one Premier/ECNL team and cutting the other players--though there's something to be said for club-player loyalty in not cutting them. I've definitely played a tournament with no subs though...it's brutal, but I enjoyed the playing time while I had it and we only did it once or twice in multiple years of playing; usually you can find one or two guest players to fill the gap. And playing 11 in Seattle isn't quite the same as 11 in Lousiana; a little more forgiving temperature/climate-wise.

At any rate, at that level and age, you're playing because you still enjoy it and want to or because you plan on playing in college. You pretty much don't hack it if you're not enjoying it; it's too much work. Unfortunately though, it comes down to growing up. Eventually you have to put down the crayons and pigtails for the pearls and heels (figuratively speaking)...and extremely competitive soccer becomes less of a priority for some.

(And thank you for the props; I owe a lot of where I am to lessons I learned from soccer).

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
L
Goal
Goal
L
Quote:

Does anyone think club soccer commitments are hurting high school boys and girls? Are your high school kids complaining about it?

so you're asking this question base on 1 team's situation? and you're in the midlands and this team is in the upstate. what gives?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard