Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
D
Goal
Goal
D
Patriot, get the IPOD.

goal kick
goal kick
Cheers to that!! And it is actually fun for the girls as well...how many times did they just get to laugh at themselves for doing something they weren't supposed to! Those times will only be good memories!

Relax...breathe,then bust it!!
R
throw in
throw in
R
Does anyone know how the buckeyes will be in football this year?

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
I am actually going to pay tribute to Club. Good Club play actually helps to have better High School play. And the players know that. What concerns me is Club, in particular with this ECNL schedule, now Club is lasting year round and actually at time conflicting with High School schedules. Can you imagine if a High School team had something going on during Club season and the players chose the High School over Club. Those Club directors would go crazy. The two (Club and High School) should have enough respect for the players and each other to totally avoid this. There should not even be Clubs practicing during the High School season. The players get more than enough play during that time and yes they do need time off.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Sweet, that doesn't hold a candle for any of these girls compared to playing for their high school, beating their arch rivals, winning their region, making the playoffs, playing for State, winning State. Doesn't come close, just ask any who have experienced any of those elements.Playing before their peers, teachers, parents and friends- representing their school.

Just like HS doesn't hold a candle to playing College soccer, playing your arch rival before your peers, teachers, parents and friends watching your goal replayed on the big screen, representing your school and conference and being interviewed by FSC all the while having it paid for because of what you accomplished playing club soccer.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Sorry Sweet, I think Bomber has you on this one. You can go with the college being paid for argument, but excitement, attendance stats you lose. Most D1 womens soccer programs don't draw very well, usually an average of around 500 spectators for d1 game, around 200-250 for smaller D1's. You need to attend a Mauldin- Dorman womens game, or a Mauldin- Riverside womens game. They out draw D1 colleges. I believe I read the D2,D3 and D4 SC womens state championship games in Columbia last year drew between 3500 and 4000 fans. That's about the same amount of fans that attended Wake Forest-South Carolina final 4 last year in Texas, and they pulled a large group of club players in to the seats because of the final four showcase being held, if they didn't have a club tournament down there at the same time the attendance would have been less. And for watching womens soccer on the big screen, i guess i don't get that many channels in my home. I have seen Tennessee- Uconn womens basketball on the big screen and Texas- Michigan womens softball on the big screen but have never seen womens college soccer on the tube period. This is why there are only 12 scholarships available for womens soccer annually, they just do not draw enough revenue to the school. But congrats if your player got everything paid for in college, and I hope you get to go and enjoy all of their games, and look on the bright side, you won't have to take a folding chair. Have a good evening.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
I stand corrected on the SC- Wake game. It was a sweet 16 game not the final four, but I think you get the picture.Have a good one.

world cup
world cup
gbdawgs,

Just to clarify USC-Wake, it was a Sweet 16. But it wasn't played in TX before a large group of club players in the seats due to a showcase tournament.

The match was at virtually sold-out Stone Stadium, in front of 4,000+ passionate South Carolina fans.....not a "captive audience" as you indicate above.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
i posted the correction above, sorry.

S
coach
coach
S
Quote:

gbdawgs,

Just to clarify USC-Wake, it was a Sweet 16. But it wasn't played in TX before a large group of club players in the seats due to a showcase tournament.

The match was at virtually sold-out Stone Stadium, in front of 4,000+ passionate South Carolina fans.....not a "captive audience" as you indicate above.

But beyond that, it's all accurate, right?

A lot - and I mean a lot - of bitterness here...

I miss the days I had time to engage in this fully. But here are some things to note - kind of randomly...

By the way - last I checked, the number of women scholarships was 14 (12's the old number.) Given it went up by over 10%, does that mean that there's a 10%+ increase in revenue at the gate - since scholarships are causally related to revenue? Not to my knowledge...

Comparing an "average" college game to a cross-town rivalry might be just a bit...I don't know...biased? Compare your cross-town rivalry games to Clemson/Carolina women soccer games. I've been to state championships - and the Clemson/Carolina games beat them hands down. (Plus...the referees don't allow 12 players on the field. )

Winning an SEC championship might be by some to be perceived as a viable consolation prize to winning a state championship. Wouldn't know - my kid never won a state championship...just putting it out there since there's a comparison of high school and college...

CESA has some good points and bad points (I think it needs to step up to a much larger recreation base than it has today, for example, and I've publicly noted that.) At the same time, it pioneered offering SC kids choice in terms of competitive programs. For kids that are want to play at the highest level, it was always a team-based hit or miss proposition before that. That's why I tend to praise the club...

The phenomenon of U18 losing players has occurred since I was first involved in club soccer years ago. Some players realize their dreams and are recruited at U17; but by U18 a lot of players are realizing that they aren't going to get to play where they want to and drop back/out. Nothing wrong with that decision...

The entire equating of scholarships with club soccer is interesting. Anyone paying for their child to play club soccer in hopes of a positive financial ROI (Return On Investment) is foolish. At the same time, I've paid for a lot of things with respect to my children in which I measured the ROI beyond that associated with the financial. To each his own...

Whenever someone posts about the plucky kid who has been with a club for years and didn't get a chance to play in the big tournament so they could be seen by the college coach and get the big break - I can't help but sigh. What you ignore is the other kid on the team who has been just on the bubble with a college coach and who needs a great showing to break on through. I think that club coaches have as much responsibility to that kid - and the other kids on the premier teams - as they do the plucky one. When my child was involved in club soccer, I thought that part of what I paid for was the coaches doing the best thing for their TEAM - not for each individual hard-luck case. In fact, that's what I thought I got from CESA - a club focused on a TEAM and not a lot of individual parents dictating direction based on their individual child.

I have a TiVo full of Carolina women soccer games...but I'm probably biased toward finding them on television...

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard