Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
The whole academic money thing to me is interesting. Soccer forums often come back to the line of reasoning that there is more academic money available then there is soccer.

Could well be. But IMO.....getting real academic money is just as hard as getting real athletic money. Its not really for average students or above average students. If you are mostly an A student and score an SAT > 1250 there will probably be some money for you. Equal to if you play Academy or ECNL or R3PL with a bunch of ODP years behind you.

Those kids who qualify.....are probably no more common that the kids who get scholarships for sports. Whether academics or athletics.....the highest tier has options and most everyone else is on the outside looking in, via loans etc.

The average SCSCL player ain't probably getting soccer money, nor is the average graduating HS senior getting any academic money outside of lottery money. Private schools usually offer some......but a fraction of what their costs are.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
I have 2 grandaughters who recieved $5,000 each in life scholarships last year from the state of SC because of their gpa. I think they have to maintain a 3.5 . I think this year it's $5,300. You can throw this money out the door if you go out of state to attend college.

corner kick
corner kick
Actually, there is a lot more academic money available simply because there are thousands of private scholarships and grants available on top of what the institutions are offering and there is no governing body that determines the number (or amount) of scholarships any school is allowed to offer its students. Additionally, states offer programs very similar to the "Palmetto Fellows" and "Life" scholarships that South Carolina has where any student with a decent SAT/ACT score (which, since we're all from the 1600 era of the SAT = ~10-1100), a 3.0, and is in the top 30% (for a large high school, can be up to 168 people) can get up to 5k a year or more. And that's a 3.0 regardless of whether you're college prep or AP/Honors/IB.

Also, you have to consider the fact that most colleges rarely offer full athletic rides; usually they offer partial rides with academic and or need-based aid to fill in the rest. Per the NYT (sorry, don't feel like pulling out the PubMed), the average girls' soccer award covers only 43% of college tuition and ~4000 soccer scholarships were shared between ~9300 student athletes.

"In 2003-4, there was the equivalent of one full N.C.A.A. men’s soccer scholarship available for about every 145 boys who were playing high school soccer four years earlier." -http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/sports/10scholarships.html?pagewanted=3&_r=1

Comparing that to the fact that just with a state scholarship like LIFE, up to 168 students from ONE SCHOOL can earn 5k (using numbers from my graduating class)...your odds of earning money for college are statistically better with doing well academically, and in extracurriculars. Add that guaranteed state scholarship to any of the thousands of private scholarships/grants you can apply for and athletics is only a small piece of the pie. You can get money for being related to a Daughter of the Revolution, or a Shriner, or for knowing someone who's a VFA, for a piece of artwork in a contest, or a speech.

Any way you look at it, if you're looking for straight up money, unless you're one of the 2% of 6.4 million high school athletes...sports aren't the way to go.

Last edited by adidaskitten86; 07/16/10 08:22 PM.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
corner kick
corner kick
I agree with ya big daddy it is very difficult to get "real money or a full ride" in any one situation.

Which IMO is where the grades come into play! because if you are a "quality" soccer player and also a "quality" student you can receive some money from both which when added together equals real money.

You don't have to be a Lionel Messi or Albert Einstein to get real money.

You can be a Peter Crouch and a Shibumi combined and still get real money!

There is a lot more money available for the well rounded "quality" student athlete than there is for just the athlete or just the student.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
world cup
world cup
Ripping Shibumi.....wow! That dude's much smarter than Egghead Einstein.

My son's girlfriend is over 50% Native American. She will be "checking the box" when she applies to colleges next semester!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
All of this info has been helpful, and I'm not knocking soccer in general. I've had a daughter who played travel volleyball, a son who played in the SCJGA (golf)and travel baseball and the costs were relatively affordable, and we spent time in many hotels but mostly in the southeast. So when my daughter brings home her notes from the Club Soccer meeting and said dad these are the costs associated with your grandaughter playing for the big club in the upstate this year. I was floored, and said OH MY! I actually said something other than OH MY! I said honey, put the basketball in her hand and walk away, you can't afford that. And by no means is she below the poverty level.She lives in a middle class neighborhood in the upstate. Actually the club fees are not bad, but the travel costs are ridiculous.So POP and observer where I'm going with this is that Soccer Clubs are requiring to much from kids and are charging an arm and a leg for it.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Actually, there is a lot more academic money available simply because there are thousands of private scholarships and grants available on top of what the institutions are offering and there is no governing body that determines the number (or amount) of scholarships any school is allowed to offer its students. Additionally, states offer programs very similar to the "Palmetto Fellows" and "Life" scholarships that South Carolina has where any student with a decent SAT/ACT score (which, since we're all from the 1600 era of the SAT = ~10-1100), a 3.0, and is in the top 30% (for a large high school, can be up to 168 people) can get up to 5k a year or more. And that's a 3.0 regardless of whether you're college prep or AP/Honors/IB.

Also, you have to consider the fact that most colleges rarely offer full athletic rides; usually they offer partial rides with academic and or need-based aid to fill in the rest. Per the NYT (sorry, don't feel like pulling out the PubMed), the average girls' soccer award covers only 43% of college tuition and ~4000 soccer scholarships were shared between ~9300 student athletes.

"In 2003-4, there was the equivalent of one full N.C.A.A. men’s soccer scholarship available for about every 145 boys who were playing high school soccer four years earlier." -http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/sports/10scholarships.html?pagewanted=3&_r=1

Comparing that to the fact that just with a state scholarship like LIFE, up to 168 students from ONE SCHOOL can earn 5k (using numbers from my graduating class)...your odds of earning money for college are statistically better with doing well academically, and in extracurriculars. Add that guaranteed state scholarship to any of the thousands of private scholarships/grants you can apply for and athletics is only a small piece of the pie. You can get money for being related to a Daughter of the Revolution, or a Shriner, or for knowing someone who's a VFA, for a piece of artwork in a contest, or a speech.

Any way you look at it, if you're looking for straight up money, unless you're one of the 2% of 6.4 million high school athletes...sports aren't the way to go.

I'm not saying athletic money is plentiful, nor am I saying its easy to get. Hardly.

But outside of state provided lottery money that ranges from $2800 to $5k I think.....the above average kid isn't likely to get much more than the $500 VFW Good American scholarship.

Like sports....top notch students have money available. But the kids getting that money are the ones with 4.2 gpa's and 1300 SAT's. And a kid with a 105 IQ isn't going to score 1300 on his SAT regardless of how hard he/she works.

My point isn't a comparison of athletic to academic so much as its a comparison of opportunities for the gifted vs those in the middle of the bell curve.

A player of average athleticism and skill can work his tail off and never make the national team or a regional team. A kid with that 105 IQ....can study their tails off and do really well in school, but still not get the test scores necessary to tap into significant scholarship money.

Kids driven to compete in soccer should play because they love it and want to be the best they can be. Kids should work hard in school as a means of preparing themselves for life and eventually being able to earn a living.

Trying to excel at either for the primary purpose of chasing scholarship money is misguided at best, for most people. Solomon said it best.....meaningless, meaningless.

Typical private school is what......$35,000? $5k lottery money....school grants of $8k. Kid scrounges around and picks up $1500 in minor scholarships. Still looking at $21k in costs.

corner kick
corner kick
Well, if people are that concerned about money, they should probably be looking to stay at an in-state public uni where tuition is only 5-10k.

At any rate, I was never proposing that anyone should be doing anything for a full ride. I was just saying that it is statistically more likely to win some amount of aid through non-athletic means.

Last edited by adidaskitten86; 07/16/10 11:00 PM.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not saying athletic money is plentiful, nor am I saying its easy to get. Hardly.

But outside of state provided lottery money that ranges from $2800 to $5k I think.....the above average kid isn't likely to get much more than the $500 VFW Good American scholarship.

Like sports....top notch students have money available. But the kids getting that money are the ones with 4.2 gpa's and 1300 SAT's. And a kid with a 105 IQ isn't going to score 1300 on his SAT regardless of how hard he/she works.

My point isn't a comparison of athletic to academic so much as its a comparison of opportunities for the gifted vs those in the middle of the bell curve.

A player of average athleticism and skill can work his tail off and never make the national team or a regional team. A kid with that 105 IQ....can study their tails off and do really well in school, but still not get the test scores necessary to tap into significant scholarship money.

Kids driven to compete in soccer should play because they love it and want to be the best they can be. Kids should work hard in school as a means of preparing themselves for life and eventually being able to earn a living.

Trying to excel at either for the primary purpose of chasing scholarship money is misguided at best, for most people. Solomon said it best.....meaningless, meaningless.

Typical private school is what......$35,000? $5k lottery money....school grants of $8k. Kid scrounges around and picks up $1500 in minor scholarships. Still looking at $21k in costs.

BigDaddy - We have a winner!

O
throw in
throw in
O
gbd: Actually, club fees, team fees, and travel fees in South Carolina are much more affordable than the surrounding states. Some clubs offer scholarships and payment plans.

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard