Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
What's up with all the U-18 girls not returning to CESA? Losing some 25 girls from your normal pool of players seems a bit odd. Some of these players have been playing club soccer since the 1st grade. Anyone heard anything?

world cup
world cup
I don't know what's going on specific to the CESA U-18 girls team but I can tell you, having had four daughters play competitive club soccer, their commitment level varies tremendously. One of them quit club soccer after U-15, two others played on competitive teams in Charlotte, but then scaled it back and played local for their U-18 season. My youngest seems to want to play at the highest level possible all the way through U-18.

Analyze the kids.......not just the club. To play R3PL or ECNL at U-18 you have to be very committed.....and if you are a player from out of the area, the commitment is even greater.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Maybe a mature teenager realizes how the costs affect their family's financial situation.

Maybe a mature teenager realizes the scholarship money in college soccer(peanuts) isn't worth the effort.

Maybe a mature teenager start thinking what am I going to have for spending money at college next year, I better get a job.

Maybe a mature teenager says "Hey this my life", There is more than just soccer.

Maybe a mature teenager says I'm going to enjoy my senior year.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Well said, gbdawgs..
Like Hurst said..look at the kid and not the club.
It's just a part of life where kids move on to something else and priorites change and they can still play soccer on a not so serious level..

D
Goal
Goal
D
adidaskitten86 had mentioned that it is easier to play with no subs in Seattle than in Louisiana. Unfortunately, several of the CESA girls teams played games with one or no subs in Baton Rouge. The '92 team played the state champs from South Texas with the no subs, the keeper on the bench with hamstring injury and a field player in goal (she played quite well, btw). With injuries, illnesses and a November roster freeze it just worked out that way, so after Regionals and looking at the final roster selections the club seems to have decided to fill rosters to their capacity (U-18 capacity is 22). That change in direction (can't remember a previous year the club filled rosters to capacity) after the club posted the Premier/Challenge pool may have cost some of the players positions.

The 3 CESA '92 teams had 45 players on last year's rosters. The pool selections posted after tryouts included, I believe, 27 names. I don't know how many registered for tryouts to know how many players may have decided prior to tryouts not to play (or play at another club) and how many may have been cut to get 27. Given past rosters 27 may have been considered enough to put 2 teams on the field. However, maximizing a roster of 22 would mean 5 of the 27 would now have no Challenge team to join, and additional cuts may have been made.

As many of you have said you have to ask the individuals for the reasoning behind the decisions. It should also be noted that just because previous members of the CESA '92 teams don't appear on next year's roster it doesn't necessarily mean they've given up the game or a desire to play in college.

At least 2 of the players graduated and will be playing in college on soccer scholarships next year. Those 2 were members of the Premier team. I don't know if there were seniors on the Challenge/Classic teams last year. At least 2 players, 1 Challenge and 1 Premier (both committed to play at same college) are moving to another club to play their senior year together in the Challenge League (at significantly lower cost and with the college coach's approval). Another player committed to play in college who played several years on the Premier team but spent the last couple of years on the Challenge team is moving to another club to play her senior year in Premier League. There are at least a couple of other Challenge team members that have committed to play in college but will not be returning to play at CESA (don't know if they are playing elsewhere).

On the other side of the highway you also have 4 or 5 players on next year's CESA '92 roster that will be playing for CESA for the first time. Another player who played previously for CESA Premier, then moved to another Premier team is also returning to CESA.

Yes, there has been what seems to be an unusual amount of movement within the '92 age group at CESA this year, and I'm sure some of the movement is based on reasons already stated. I'm guessing there has been some movement in the SCUFC '92 rosters as well now that they are headed to R3PL, although probably not to the extent seen at CESA.

As far as a player's commitment to playing in three leagues, it's not as overwhelming as it may look on the surface. The ECNL schedule will be participation in the CASL tournament, another ECNL event in Florida between Christmas and New Year (not Disney), and 4 additional games. Until ECNL is fully evolved those events represent the team's tournament schedule. With 21/22 players on the roster playing both R3PL and Challenge League will allow greater opportunities relative to playing time as well as opportunites for some players to gain some experience playing in positions they don't usually get the chance to play in R3PL. I'm fairly certain the bulk of movement has nothing to do with a perceived demand of playing in 3 leagues, but you'd have to ask the individual players to know for sure.

GBDAWGS, none of those events or leagues occur in the Spring when they could conflict with the SC High School season. If you are considering joining or advising someone who is considering joining the CESA '92 team, then after you analyze the movement by those who will not be playing U-18 at CESA next year (I'm sure all of the "maybe" list could apply), you may want to analyze the reasoning of those who have decided to stay or join for the first time. I'm sure they will put a competitive group on the field.

S
throw in
throw in
S
The Seatle trip for the 92 girls was probably the best ECNL trip they had despite only having 8 girls from the season roster attending. They only had 11 players, 3 of which hadn't even had a practice with the whole team prior to their first game. Their results were one of their best. They beat CASL for the first time. They won their second game against a PA team and lost their third game against a California team in the second overtime. The big contributing factor of their success at this tournament is they actually had all the girls wanting to be there and giving their 100%. They did stuff as a team on and off the field. As Hurst says at 17,18 years old to play at a high level, you have to be committed and really want to play. Players that are ok with missing their high school football games, dances, socializing. Players willing to take on extra jobs if needed to earn the money to play because the traveling is expensive. In return, they get a priceless experience of traveling to different cities, playing different teams across the states, improving their soccer and expanding their horizons. It is not for every kid who may have soccer talent, but for the one with the talent, attitude, desire, and commitment, it can be an incredible experience. They aren't just playing for a chance of a scholarship. They have to love it. Maybe it would make sense to have a "state team" that does the ECNL league and then beef up the challenge league. For the players that want the travel experience and added commitment, they play in the ECNL league. For the ones that enjoy soccer but don't want the high level of commitment, join a team that doesn't have the travel commitment. Don't make the selection of the "traveling" team purely on soccer talent. Talent doesn't always equate to commitment, passion or desire.

G
bench
bench
G
Wow! Sounds to me like you made this a little too personal. Those other "rostered" girls were hurt, not uncommitted.

However, my personal opinion is that no matter how committed you are, there is probably going to be times that a player may wish they were able to attend those other events (i.e., homecoming, graduation of friends or family, etc) ... they just may not always convey that to the "overly-committed" parent.

Congrats to the team and they certainly should be applauded for their accomplishments.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Totally agree with gettingoutofhere and even the player that wants the travel and loves soccer doesn't likely want it or should be commited 100% of the time. They need to and want to attend other special events. The point was more that traveling all around to play soccer at a "high" level isn't for every kid and it would be nice to have both options for talented players. Sorry, did not say or mean to imply why the other rostered girls didn't go. In actuality, there were numerous reasons from injuries, schedule conflicts with ODP, college soccer programs, financial, lack of interest etc.

C
kick off
kick off
C
"Don't make the selection of the "traveling" team purely on soccer talent. Talent doesn't always equate to commitment, passion or desire."

scwame, while I totally agree with this statement, it does make me chuckle. In my sons age group, the CESA coaches definitely don't practice this. I was told by the challenge coach that my son was dropped down because of his size. He said he had better skill and better attitude and works harder than almost everyone that was kept on the challenge team. I believe this coach thinks he can make the bigger players better. I tend to disagree. My son will grow but at u15 these kids with little skill who have been involved since u10 won't just develop those skills. He also kept a few players that over the past few years have been less than dedicated and it showed this week at team camp. Between the 1 challenge and 2 classic teams at u15, they had 11 players!!! Best part? They tied the full premier team. Somethings wrong with the selection process but what are you going to do. The coaches are so much more knowledgable than everyone else (haha).

So scwame, please pass along those words of wisdom I quoted of yours to everyone you can.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Reminds me of a session by Bill Beswick I attended at last year's NSCAA convention on the topic of mindset as the key to success. One of the things he emphasized was that a "B" talent level with an "A" attitude and commitment will, in the long run, outperform an "A" talent level with a "B" attitude and commitment.

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard