Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Sweet, you really need to get in the real world. That is a ridiculous comparison. So let's see, college does not compare to the World Cup. Wow, imagine that.
Most good high school soccer team games, have more fans than many colleges. I saw an Alabama women's soccer game on cable last year. What a beautiful facility, but no one was there. I have been to several Clemson, men's and women's games, really not much of a crowd. There is something to be said about the pride and passion of high school athletics. Playing cross-town teams, the pride of the players, coaches, parents and fans. It can't be beat.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
1- I think that the topic is way of subject now
2- To Bomber, it is not a good comparison. The emotions of the game (the frustration) is what makes a worthy match. If you are emotianlly invested (i.e. your kid is playing) you would beieve it to be the best time. The size of the crowd in HS soccer games is made up mostly of family with some HS having more student support than others

I have been to many games on all 3 levels of which we speak, frankly I have seen absolutely fantastic club games (both in season and state cup), have seen great HS games and college games. In almost every case I had emotional involvement because my kids were playing

In fact when Landon Donovan scored the goal against Algeria I was in a computer room in Europe (suffering via internet feed) and went absolutely crazy - the only american in the group (much to the dismay of the trainer at the time and to many chuckles from my peers). Luckily it was understood and did not suffer any "penalty" for it. ....But the point is a big crowd makes a fantastic atmosphere but if you are emotionally involved, size does not matter the game has captured you.

I can honestly tell you that I have been to games in other sports at the HS level where you could have kids playing hopscotch on the field and the crowd would be the same. They were there for the social and not the game.

I prefer the emotional investment.... maybe I am a masochist as soccer is very frustrating and unforgiving.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Quote:

Sweet, that doesn't hold a candle for any of these girls compared to playing for their high school, beating their arch rivals, winning their region, making the playoffs, playing for State, winning State. Doesn't come close, just ask any who have experienced any of those elements.Playing before their peers, teachers, parents and friends- representing their school.

Just like HS doesn't hold a candle to playing College soccer, playing your arch rival before your peers, teachers, parents and friends watching your goal replayed on the big screen, representing your school and conference and being interviewed by FSC all the while having it paid for because of what you accomplished playing club soccer.

Bit of a logical fallacy to assume (or imply) that the only path to this end is through club soccer accomplishments. There is no "only" path. While quality club play can be instrumental in helping players reach their goals of playing at the same level, in most cases, the truly successful players reach their goals due to the SUM of their experiences, training, and accomplishments--not just because of one segment of them.

If we really want to do our best for our young people, HS and club proponents need to stop playing the "who's more important" game and start working together to best prepare our players.

Puts me in mind of the words of John Wooden, one of the most successful coaches in history at both the high school and collegiate levels:

"It's amazing what can be accomplished if no one cares who gets the credit."

I've got good news and bad news...
B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Very nicely put. I agree!!!!!!

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Well, lesson learned.

Never post something nice.
It stops the thread.

Come on boys...

C
Coach
Coach
C
Funny how that works.

I've got good news and bad news...
I
goal
goal
I
NO the problem is Coach Chass answered the question. As per normal. Nice stuff is just ignored.

C
goal
goal
C
I agree completely!

Here I go again!
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Sorry boys, everyone has been way to nice too one another, so I had to spice things up a bit ... albeit on another thread!

Besides it would be far too dull if we all agreed with one another!

Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard