Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
S
sandman Offline OP
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
I just got an email that the mt p yth license course for $575, was cancelled due to lack of participation....gee, really? I coached little league in high school, never knew anyone with a lic., also assisted babe ruth coaching duties, again, what license? Coached middle school hoops in high school, nada license in sight.
the toughest sport to coach, yth football, no one has a license.
$occer has many trickle down costs that prohibit alot of the better athletes from participating...oops, but hey, guys are getting paid.
yth soccer remains the most clueless needlessly expensive yth sport....don't get it.....imho of course

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
While I agree with your overall opinion, to be fair this course is not for the individual coach 'per se' but for administrators, staff, etc. The National Youth License is designed to provide club directors of coaching, youth coaches, and soccer administrators with the knowledge to successfully structure soccer environments for children ages 4 - 12.

A Youth module license actually only costs $25 (and three hours) for the coach which is all you minimally need at this age to coach a rec team.

Still I do agree with your point in that many people get paid and it is an expensive sport. At least way more than it should be.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
world cup
world cup
"the toughest sport to coach, youth football, no one has a license".

Enlighten me on all the strategy and technique that you teach to 12-year old interior linemen. You know, the run blocking tactics, the pass blocking tactics....all the time you spend on special teams with these "boys in the trenches". Sounds overwhelming.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

I just got an email that the mt p yth license course for $575, was cancelled due to lack of participation....gee, really? I coached little league in high school, never knew anyone with a lic., also assisted babe ruth coaching duties, again, what license? Coached middle school hoops in high school, nada license in sight.
$occer has many trickle down costs that prohibit alot of the better athletes from participating...oops, but hey, guys are getting paid.
yth soccer remains the most clueless needlessly expensive yth sport....don't get it.....imho of course

Seriously? I am both speechless and dumbfounded at the seemingly "clueless" comments that you made in this post. Hopefully, Cainhoy Athletic's response helped to explain the licensing cost and difference with the types of licensing one can obtain. Do you honestly believe that licenses in soccer are a waste of time and money? Are you kidding me? Your comment about "guys getting paid" was sarastic and insulting to those quality coaches who spend countless hours, both on and off the pitch, developing their players, individually and collectively as a team. Should they not be compensated at all or do you feel they are all overpaid? Yes, soccer (especially select, premier, etc.) does have a lot of "trickle down costs"; that is a fact. Those parents who make the decision to have their child/children play at those levels are informed of the various costs involved. There are choices. Soccer is offered at many different levels/costs around our state, that parents and players can chose from. While scholarship money isn't available to EVERY player who applies, it IS still available to many players in various clubs around the state. Since you have taken the opportunity to list some of your complaints about the sport, how about proposing some solutions that you feel would work?

C
kick off
kick off
C
I'll propose two solutions that would be useful and help keep cost down. Of course, I am can only refer to what one club does or in this case doesn't do.

1. Let the u18 who are in the first year of a new uniform cycle wear training jersys as opposed to having to buy expensive uniforms. I remember a few years ago, one team didn't get theirs until State Cup or there abouts. That is a waste of mney.

2. coaches should alternate volunteering for 2 hours a week so players can come out and just play (with just a little supervision for liability sake or to at least open up the fields, instead of charging $300 for 3 coached sessions a week. I know my son wanted to go but his choices were that or the team camp, couldn't afford to do both.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Wait...just to clarify...did you mean $300 per week per player?

I've got good news and bad news...
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
Quote:

Are you just realizing this notion, um, fact? It's why soccer is what it is today in the United States compared to the rest of the world. The paradigm is reversed here. I'm sure Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, and Don Shula of the National Football League and Bobby Cox, Tony LaRussa, Lou Piniella, and Joe Torre in Major League Baseball all have their respective "licenses"! Just another way that American soccer has been taken over by the almighty dollar and the reason that these licenses aren't worth the paper they are printed on!

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Soccer organizations and soccer clubs base their strategy on:

"THERE'S A SUCKER BORN EVERY MINUTE"

C
kick off
kick off
C
Coach,
Sorry for the confusion. $300 for 12 sessions (I think), not per week.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Licenses are over valued in youth soccer, but they do serve a purpose. I've done the NSCAA State and Advanced Regional I believe....and I have found them to be quite useful in helping structure and organize practices.

Kind of like a teacher learning how to do a lesson plan. Being able to construct a great lesson plan doesn't make a great teacher. But it takes someone with teaching chops and gives them the tools to best use their gifts.

I think the problem is less about licensing....and more of good old fashioned supply and demand.

In the American Big 3....if you are a player, you will get found. May not be ACC-SEC.....but a gifted football/basketball/baseball player will land on their feet.

Soccer......the roadmap is a lot fuzzier and the recruiting network far more subtle. Parents (and kids) rely more on "experts" to tell them how to navigate the process and the experts tend to be the same folks who are knee deep in the status quo. Reliance on things like regional or national teams/pools.......they don't exist in football or baseball and are a lot less significant in basketball (as opposed to soccer).

A good friend of mine told me that the best thing I could do for my child in soccer is to help them become a good player. The rest will come....or not.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard