Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Coach Chass, thanks for clarifying the earlier $930 number I used in a simple analysis of cost and impact to lower income families (nothing about minorities). It was based on mid range of HappyDaddy's numbers and not anything more scientific. Everyone is quite correct about varying prices between clubs and levels of play. The trouble is without picking on anyone (club) in particular and published fees it is hard to be more precise. Also thanks for the plug about our mission and attempts to make soccer more affordable. We are trying and slowly getting there with more growth this year. I guess it is hard to fathom why soccer people (we are) would give it away which is I'm afraid a symptom of the problem and a sad indictment of our sport today.

I think you have to consider regional options and choices clubs make as a factor in cost. Some clubs choose to play in classic competition which in the lowcountry means more money and travel. Many games in Columbia area. This despite attempts by local league and some clubs to keep classic local. Rationale being that these teams in some cases are on par with a U14 team playing in LSYSA, or at least would be if all clubs kept this level local (if not challenge). I can only imagine it is the power of marketing a 'travel' team that appeals to some believing as someone said earlier, the more you travel, the better your team and players. For a player from Charleston playing a classic game in Columbia what is that cost on any given Saturday? Tank of gas, lunch out for mom, dad, little brother, and our soccer star. add it up. What conservatively (driving the Camry and not my wife's Suburban) $70. 8 times a season and could be looking at over $500 that could be avoided by a game 7 miles up the road and eating lunch (last night's leftovers) at home.

I think we are in for an interesting time with SCYSA leadership up for grabs next week, and remarks made at the coastal district meeting earlier in the summer regarding a preference to push classic back to local competition. I have to believe the whole coastal district could find enough classic/high level rec teams to compete at an appropriate level and keep costs lower, and if some (players or teams) excel, push these to challenge and good luck. This would save the $850 team outlay (bond included) Chass talks about and in general reduce costs around here for a large number of kids and possibly open the door to more. Our club is just entering this next bracket wiith U14's but will hold them locally for now due to cost concerns and our hope suitable competition will exist (at least for us). If not, we'll just enter an extra tournie. For the record, I do not have a problem with SCYSA fees (trickle down) from them in the most part. I have complained about the tournie rostering fee that seems like chiseling to me, but other than that, I think we get good value for our players and feel comfortable with the backing of the organization. Our highest soccer costs are probably ref fees but it is what it is and not saying they don't deserve it (we even payed the ref fees for end of season tournament for our teams and that hurt). Our budget is made up of a mix of fundraising and relatively low fees and we can do it without any tournament revenue. We also provide unlimited scholarships, pay rent, fund (slow) construction, and pay a few coaches (now). I'm sure if other more profitable clubs put their minds to it, we could see costs come down (and they become less profitable which depending on current balance sheets, operating expenses, and equity reserves, might be a healthy thing).

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Then why not offer a youth soccer program for underprivledged americans.... Here's why.. There's no money in it for the big clubs. Big Clubs want nothing to do with it.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
I don't think there should be special soccer programs for any group or individual period. Whether based on ethnicity, domicile, class, or economic situation. Yes that even includes Americans. Soccer is a sport for all. I know you don't mean that but you put the soapbox right there for me and couldn't resist it.

Just provide reasonably priced services that everyone can enjoy. Can't speak for the larger (big) clubs but of course my hope is that if us small ones build the right program, offer great quality and value, we will become bigger ones over time. Then it becomes a matter of whether clubs hold true to their beliefs and mission (whatever that is). For us its primarily about availabilty and/or accessibility and treating everyone the same on (and off) the field.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
S
sandman Offline OP
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Lsysa league is growing fast, spring was the first season for girls u14 which had 4 relatively local quality teams that also did well on the classic level during a few tournys.
very low cost & the girls can play their game on sat and/or sun & not spend all day in the car. i thinks its going to attract alot of girls who were burnt out with the classic/challenge travel & parents like it for the lower cost & it keeps that tough age group focused on a sport.
i think the local classic teams should check it out, it would def. attract alot more girls & boys to the sport.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
"Kids quit the team for more family time"

From the Wall Street Journal

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424...s+quit+the+team

H
goal
goal
H
Interesting article. Its essential point seems to be that "serious" elite youth sports isn't for everyone. No argument there. I'd even agree that it isn't even right for every kid who has the ability to compete at the elite levels. Every family and young athlete has to decide what is the best use of scarce commodities - like time and money. There are options available to suit most every level of involvement they might decide is appropriate. What may not always occur is the ability to afford the preferred option. I don't have an answer for that - as I've said, the cost is the cost, mainly for travel. I still don't know who it is that gbdawg thinks is getting rich off of club soccer.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
HappyDaddy - How much do the head honchos at CESA and SC United get paid? Answer me this, and I'll tell you what gbdawg is thinking.

Rumor is that CESA's folks are in the $75,000 each range with Range Rover, while SC United are in the $25-30,000 range. Not sure what to believe, but there is someone making money somewhere.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
I never said anything about anyone getting rich. The post is "Is soccer an elite sport". Which it is. The cost has sky rocketed since we got in it nine years ago. The cost is travel and that is what most parents on the challenge and premier level have a problem with. These soccer directors think there's a need to drag our kids to places like las vegas, austin, seattle, to play top level competition which is total BS. We have the highest level of competition right here in the southeast. Remember Club soccer directors and Club coaches have no money coming out of their pocket on these trips. The parents are paying for "ALL" of their travel expenses. So no skin off their back. I hope Cainhoy can keep his model of "club soccer" going, we need more like him, to get the sport back to a respectful $$$ level, it will get more youths and better athletes involved.

C
goal
goal
C
Quote:

Chapindad,
Are you going to see the U17 girls South Korea National team play CESA tonight at Mesa? Maybe this will help change the attitude/interest of Asian girls and soccer. I think they are ranked #1 or close to it.

I wish I had known. I would have probably been up to watch that game. But female Koreans from Korea are not going to have much effect on the minority population of Asian Americans, who still value education on athletics. Plus Koreans tend to be a lot more progressive then the rest of the Asian countries. Korean Dramas actually star very strong Korean Heroins, which not always true in dramas from other Asian countries.

Here I go again!
C
goal
goal
C
Quote:

chapindad: in regards to your minority post , i think your missing the point. i think were talking about people who cannot afford the sport of soccer at the youth level because of their class, not neccesarily their ethnic background.

Maybe I did miss the point. Because I thought the word minority was used and not income disadvantaged. Unless people are making the assumption is that all minorities are at an income disadvantage. I will recheck the posts to see if I did misunderstand...

Here I go again!
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard