Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
M
brace
brace
M
Quote:

no big money in professional soccer to attract top level athletes in usa. football, bb, bb, where there is more big money opportunities and better structure to develop/excel at lower cost will get the attention of potential sport stars.

soccer is better suited for those more interested in going professional in something other than sports. and helps keep kids on a positive track and staying out of trouble/hanging with the wrong group.

Very well said.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
M
brace
brace
M
Quote:

I don't see many kids showing up at u15 tryouts who have been training with dad instead of playing club soccer. But maybe you've pointed to an alternate approach.

You're not going see that happen to because 1) few parents have the time & 2) few parents know enough about the game to accomplish the task. But if they were able to meet these two requirements, the reality is it could be done.

The alternative is to pay very close attention to what coaches teach and reinforce those points through repetition with your son or daughter. Do that, and the player will develop. Don't expect two or three practices per week to get a kid a scholarship.

Spend your money wisely on the game and rinse and repeat. The investemnt will come back to you 10 fold.

S
kick off
kick off
S
letmeputit and Manchester are both spot on!!

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
letme: so are you saying youth soccer is more for therapy, a babysitting service, drug prevention, what????? i've known a few youth soccer players (premier) that were mixed with the wrong group the whole time they played club. You can throw that theory out the door.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Like many other activities, soccer can provide an OPPORTUNITY for young people to focus on a healthy activity in a positive and supportive environment. Also like any other opportunity, individual players can choose to focus on that, or turn their attention elsewhere. Over the years, I've seen a lot more young people positively influenced by youth sports than introduced to bad crowds and habits through them, and I certainly wouldn't throw out the theory based on "a few" players who may have gotten mixed with some bad influences.

I've got good news and bad news...
M
brace
brace
M
Coach, you are spot on and that's one reason I'm such a proponent of club soccer. Young people need year-round guidance, structure, objectives, obligations, a sense of personal and team accomplishment, & 'dreams'..

They need to be tested. They even, dare I say it, need to FAIL so they can learn how to recover.

The earlier they become a part of such environments, the better.

S
sandman Offline OP
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
i agree, yth sports keeps them busy & focused, which is really key after age 12.
& if you notice, they tend to make friends & hang out with other athletes who don't have time for the regular teenage trouble.....this thread is all over the place

M
brace
brace
M
Quote:

i agree, yth sports keeps them busy & focused, which is really key after age 12.
& if you notice, they tend to make friends & hang out with other athletes who don't have time for the regular teenage trouble.....this thread is all over the place

Sand, It might seem like the thread is all over the place, but in reality we're discussing the VALUE of money spent by those of us who either have cars with 215,000 soccer miles on them or are on our third vehicle in 10 years because of dedication to the game.

It's ALL a question of the VALUE one assigns the money being spent.

This thread domonstrates how VALUE is measured in many, many ways. How one participates is a personal choice and in every instance based on need, ability and desire.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Coach, you are spot on and that's one reason I'm such a proponent of club soccer. Young people need year-round guidance, structure, objectives, obligations, a sense of personal and team accomplishment, & 'dreams'..

They need to be tested. They even. dare I say it, need to Fail so they can learn how to recover.

The earlier they become a part of such environments, the better.

Brilliantly stated.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

It's ALL a question of the VALUE you are getting for the money spent. This thread domonstrates how VALUE is measured in many, many ways. How one participates i's a personal choice and in every instance.

Fits right in with the theme, indeed.

I had a conversation a few days ago with the mother of one of my high school players who is also signed up this year for the Classic team that I coach. She's one of my hardest workers on the field and a great athlete, but she never found her way to the fall club side of things before. In talking to her mother, I found out that she was willing to put her entire summer-job paycheck into playing soccer this fall because her family can't just hand her the money. She's willing to do that because she loves the sport and she likes the person she is in that environment. Her mom is willing to support her all she can because, as she says, she doesn't have to worry about who she's with and what she's doing when she's playing soccer; she knows all that teenage energy is being spent on something positive!

To me, that's getting your money's worth for things that are important to both player and parent. That's just one example, and different players, of course, have different goals; as long as what you're getting is worth (to you) the dollars spent and the other sacrifices made, then I guess it's time and money well spent.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard