Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#139216 08/20/10 01:54 AM
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
Cainhoy Athletic Soccer Club is proud to announce today, Steve Armstrong accepted the position of Director of Coaching with Cainhoy Athletic Soccer Club. In this role, he will help develop our players and coaching staff and provide key leadership to the club and our membership.

For those of you not familiar with Steve. In addition to wearing the captain's armband for The Charleston Battery at their recent regular season title win, here are a few other impressive attributes he brings to our club and to our children's soccer development.

• Played professionally for 14 seasons. South African Premier league, Swedish top division(Alsvensken), English Coca Cola Championship division, MLS, USL, MISL, (rookie of yr. in 2006/2007)
• US Soccer B coaching license and working on A.
• Assisted coaching men's and women's team at Butler University
• Coached at Carmel United and FC Pride in Indianapolis on and off since 1996
• Coach/coordinator for Charleston Battery academy sessions for the last 3 summers

Before joining the Charleston Battery Steve played four years in Major League Soccer with DC United, the Kansas City Wizards and the Columbus Crew.

This is the next step in the natural growth of our club to include a core coaching and training staff that is of the highest quality to deliver on our mission of affordable soccer instruction and development in every corner of our region. Steve joins Mike B, Jason Hamil, Keith Wiggans, and Joey in providing our membership the highest quality of technical training and supplementing the efforts of our experienced, certified coaching staff.

In anticipation of continued growth and expansion, we are opening up, and accelerating the development of a second site to support youth soccer on Clements Ferry Road in Charleston, SC.

And as a thirds piece of great news for the week, Cainhoy Athletic is going to extend its support services to local schools with increased support for up to 50 children aged 5-6 at Meeting Street Academy in downtown Charleston, and 40 middle school children at Palmetto Scholars Academy in North Charleston on the navy base.

Finally, and in the spirit of last minute recruiting, I need one or two more U12G for LSYSA competition if you know of anyone wanting to receive the highest level of training and support for less than $150.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
Cainhoy Athletic #139217 08/28/10 01:49 AM
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
Announcement to coaches and membership today that we would like to share...

"As we move ever closer to our September 11 LSYSA kickoff date, and thinking of soccer for many of us Saturday at Cainhoy School I thought it the right time to update you (and your teams) about some new developments in our quest to continue growth and establish ourselves in a home we can call our own. In my opinion this will be the last major piece to put in place in our quest to deliver the stability and platform from which to grow and compete with the very best. Since early 2009 we have been working through planning, and permitting difficulties and challenges that have delayed any major construction to our site on Cainhoy Road. Just recently we have at last started to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Our planning application has just come off Public Notice on August 2nd, and yesterday SCDHEC OCRM provided minor feedback to our design and proposal that indicates we could be nearing the point at which we can mobilize the heavy equipment and complete the grading of our land. Of course I remain realistic about what this actually means to the readiness (and schedule) of our primary site but it is generally very good news.

What is exciting is the latest of a string of announcements that should delight our membership and send waves of soccer joy through the community.

This week we have come to an agreement with the owner of a large tract of land on Clements Ferry Rd, just 3 miles from Daniel Island and the I-526 that is ready for immediate construction as a second temporary home that will provide up to 4 soccer fields in a very central and easy to reach location. This land is already permitted, cleared and graded and needs only a small amount of work before we can seed and irrigate. All going well, seed could be in the ground within weeks/months and grass growing through the fall. A healthy mix of Bermuda and winter Rye hopefully will produce our own dedicated fields by the spring.

I know many of our members wonder what is going on in our quest and efforts to build a home and I would be delighted if you could forward this news to them (your teams). Just like the recent news about Stephen Armstrong joining our Club, this is the sort of news that can only help grow our club and improve the services we can provide to your children and the soccer community in general.

See most of you on Saturday, and looking forward to a great month of soccer in September.

Cainhoy, Cainhoy, Cainhoy…

David"

Exciting stuff (just) East of the Cooper.

goal kick
goal kick
Great news! Keep us posted.

LeGrazie #139219 09/21/10 04:41 PM
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
LG, since you asked...

Fill dirt was delivered to our new site Friday and contract completed today with National Landscaper to fine grade and prepare land for seed this week. Expect a flurry of activity this week and over the weekend (always like to see guys in tractors)

Our goal is to have Bermuda in the ground, fertilized and under irrigation by the end of October. Currently taking bids on hydro seeding work if anyone is interested, please contact president@cainhoyathletic.com

Finally, Nigel Marples, Charleston Battery defender joined our coaching ranks this week and will join several of his teammates helping deliver the best experience and quality instruction to our developmental program.

goal
goal
I hope your not trying to seed Bermuda in October, you will not find much if any success.

Joe Siatkowski Mauldin Soccer I fear no evil
AgentOrange #139221 09/21/10 06:07 PM
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
Thanks Joe. I think the plan from the landscaper is to use mix with winter rye, and overseed again in spring with bermuda but we'll heed your warning and double check.

U
goal kick
goal kick
U
Have to agree with Joe. I don't think you'll get much growth. When we built the CFC fields in 2006 we sprigged the fields with "Celebreation" a variety of Bermuda. We did it in early August which was cutting it close. Fortunately the temps held and we got a good growth before the temps dropped. We talked about overseeding but our "expert" discouraged it since the process would introduce unwanted grasses onto the fields (he was a grounds keeper at the local golf club). That was the best advice we could have gotten. We did not play on the fields until the fall of 2007 (let the fields grow for 1 full year). Fortunately our club has a couple of grass experts and we've kept our fields in very good condition. I spent the summer of 2006 building our fields and I'm willing to share any lessons learned. Send me a message if I can be of any assistance.

uihwki #139223 10/29/10 02:40 PM
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
Thanks to all for advice on grass. We decided with additional feedback to go ahead with Rye for winter/spring cover and will follow behind with hybrid bermuda when it warms up.

We did hit our target to have space levelled and seeded in Oct so now we are just hoping for a little rain to move things along.

As our sign will say, please thank our host and landscaping contractor for their support and help preparing this site for youth soccer.

CALIBER CONSTRUCTION INC.
www.caliberconstruction.us

SOUTHLAND LANDSCAPE MANAGEMENT www.southlandusa.com

Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
While since I posted a shameless plug so here I go.

We are currently registering players (developmental aged 8-13) for spring season and just a few more days left if anyone is still looking for a soccer home.

Conitinued growth of our club and increased services have, as expected put a strain on our available resources (fields) and schedules. A very dry November and very cold winter has slowed germination and growth of the new grass on our new site at Caliber Park (Clements Ferry Rd) and so we have secured additional training sites for 2011 on Daniel Island and in Mount Pleasant. These sites will provide regional training options for our coaches and convenience to membership while we continue to play our home games out of Cainhoy School on Saturdays. Hopefully Caliber Park will be an available option later in the spring (if not season start).

Looking forward, our engineering firm installed grading and elevation stakes yesterday at our primary site on Cainhoy Road, and Berkeley County will continue its work on our site this week, installing silt fencing and delivering over 300 loads of dirt and topsoil for our 6 acre property. After a long wait on permits and approvals, we are, as I'm sure you can imagine very relieved to return to heavy construction at our future home scheduled to open and play this fall.

Steve Armstong (DOC) is back and has lined up several of his Battery teammates to help with technical training and player development, and our player (operating) fees remain static at $100 per season (including competition, ref fees, and training). We will be adding a number of new teams into LSYSA this spring and still have room for a few more players if anyone still needs a team.

Additional details and information at www.cainhoyathletic.com

Link Copied to Clipboard