Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17
O
throw in
throw in
O
To further make my point, how can someone from anywhere else in the country / world truly understand the rivalry between Clemson and Carolina? It would be awesome to see a soccer game between these 2 schools with a roster filled with South Carolina natives! (I know, not realistic, but,...could it be?)

Brace
Brace
Especially when it is our tax monies!

goal
goal
observer, when you say that you "disagree with SC Universities giving more money to out of state players," is that a general statement, or do you have specific information on the amount of money being given to out-of-state vs in-state players?

you also say " there are Sandlappers who are just as good, if not better than the players they sign" and that "they are being disrespected by the SC schools by not being recruited." do you honestly believe that college coaches in south carolina are not looking for the best players for their teams? heck, actually, i have no idea what their criteria is for recruiting players – maybe it's not the best players; maybe it's the players with the highest grades; maybe the ones with the best history of non-injury; maybe the ones who can do the most pushups, who knows. it always amazes me the number of people who seem to be so much wiser than coaches.

i'm sure if you sit down with a list of sc players who are not playing soccer at a college in-state, you could find some who appear to be "better" than some out-of-state players. but what does "better" mean? does your term "better" rate the player's attitude, work ethic, high school grades, SAT score, intended major in college, etc.? do you not think college coaches take all these factors, plus many more, into consideration when choosing players for their rosters?

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Quote:

... do you not think college coaches take all these factors, plus many more, into consideration when choosing players for their rosters?

Excellent point! Consider also that not every capable player wants to stay in-state and play; like many entering their first year of college, they want to get away from home, go to a school they've been interested in for years. It's not a black or white issue.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
OK. So we have concluded that there are very few Student Athletes from South Carolina playing at the Collegiate level in South Carolina. I would also go as far as to say that there are even fewer outside of SC - so what does all of this tell us?

I see a few glaring things when I stand on my slippery soap box ...

Lack of numbers: Less than 20K and falling...

Lack of coaching: Can you say win at all costs. What happened to individual player development?? Players not good enough - just recruit another!!

Poor Leadership: Who is making these decisions to travel 500 miles when you could travel 10 and learn the same lesson?

Oh, I could go on, but I hear the responses already!

goal
goal
reccos, maybe not what you were expecting, but here's a response...

Lack of numbers: Less than 20K and falling... (20k of what?)

Lack of coaching: Can you say win at all costs. What happened to individual player development?? Players not good enough - just recruit another!! (who are you talking about exactly? i know you are also covering this in another thread, but can you clarify?)

Poor Leadership: Who is making these decisions to travel 500 miles when you could travel 10 and learn the same lesson? (again, who are you talking about? examples?)

Oh, I could go on, but I hear the responses already! (i don't really need any more examples, just clarification of the ones you gave)

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Fair Play!

Look around you -- if you are involved in club soccer, then you know who I am referring to. If not, does it really matter?

Or did you just want me to say what you were thinking?

goal
goal
no, i ask the questions because i don't understand what you're saying...seriously.

again, what is the 20k referring to?

i'll just skip the coaching comments - it's being covered elsewhere.

poor leadership; who are you talking about - coaches who decide to travel 500 miles, or parents who decide to travel that distance? i'm just not sure what point you're trying to make.

not trying to be difficult (like i usually am) - i'm really just trying to understand where you're coming from and what you're trying to say.

C
kick off
kick off
C
I'll give an example of traveling when not needed.
Last season, our coach decided not to play in CESA's spring tournament, which is in our backyard. He claimed they didn't get adequate competition for our team. So that same weekend, we traveled to KNoxville only to win our first game 6-0 before the rest of the tournament got canceled due to the weather. Travel, food for 2+ days, 2 nights in a hotel, boarding of pets, etc. and the players got nothing out of it soccer-wise.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Quote:

Lack of coaching: Can you say win at all costs. What happened to individual player development?? Players not good enough - just recruit another!!

Reccos, that's spot on.

I've seen it many times. New coach comes to a team and at try outs he selects starting 11 from previous season but doesn't consider the other former players "because they didn't work hard enough to be a starter..."??? He doesn't even look at them. Instead he picks entirely new players to fill out the roster. My thought is coach should have actually watched them, even compare them to his new prospects. But no, that would actually require an effort. It's obvious when they segregate the 11 from the rest and put them on separate fields for tryouts that the coach has made up his mind who he won't select.

To me it implies the coach isn't good enough to develop players and can't really evaluate a players talents. Easier to just pick up new players and watch them wash out the next year because the coach can't develop players.

Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard