Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
L
Goal
Goal
L
the club model in the usa is based on winning and money not player development. even odp (supposed pathway to the national team) has a big cost associated with it. plus, odp has really become a recruiting tool for college coaches and nothing to do with player development or identification.

H
goal
goal
H
Your generalization is not applicable to the USSF Development Academy.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

the club model in the usa is based on winning and money not player development. even odp (supposed pathway to the national team) has a big cost associated with it. plus, odp has really become a recruiting tool for college coaches and nothing to do with player development or identification.

If the club model is not based on player development, how long do you really think they are going to succeed? Don't you think that CESA and SCU are investing resources into the younger age groups to ensure that the tradition continues? Don't you think CESA and SCU are training young players to play "the correct way"......or is your contention that they are just getting bigger, faster, stronger kids and rolling them out on to the field to "overpower" the opposition?

If the big clubs aren't developing players, and succeeding, then don't you think players and parents will eventually go somewhere else?

If a guy at "Hartsville United" or "Laurens Soccer Academy" trains and coaches teams that start winning State Cups, people will flock to play there. Until then, it is still the CESA's and the SCU's that win the titles and get players into competitive tournaments like CASL and Disney.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
You could argue, however, that the big clubs get alot (or several) of the best players from smaller clubs because those individuals want to win a state cup or play in premier league. I would be interested to see how many kids on the U16 and up teams developed at smaller, less successful clubs and then moved for the success? No doubt, the big clubs are training their kids, but they are also very good at convincing/recruiting the best to play for them.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Oh Hursty, I expected so much more ...

Have you ever looked at a roster closely? How many players from the immediate community?

For homework, compare a roster at U13 and then again at U16.

Recruiting.

If development was taking place, would recruitment be necessary?

Yes. I know. There are exceptions.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
20K refers to the number of club players in SC.

I see your argument. But I still believe it is coaches who dictate travel.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
"If the club model is not based on player development, how long do you really think they are going to succeed?"

An interesting question. What exactly is the club model? And how do clubs define success? Clubs have different missions and measure themselves accordingly.

I know of clubs that exist because they want to grow and deepen the player pool for the local high schools they serve.

I know of clubs that exist becasue they are trying to bring competitve soccer to kids who currently can't afford to play.

Big clubs like CESA and SCU.....exist to be all things to their customers. To a Premier family......the objective is to win, period. States, Regions, Nationals. Thats why they recruit kids in from outside of their normal area. To a Challenge family it might be to provide value via reasonably high quality training and competition without the cost and pressure of being on a Premier team. CESA is also focussed on building large recreational and adult programs.

Those are 3 different club models who would absolutely define "success" differently. And while development is a part of all three.....where it pegs out from a priority perspective is going to differ. If your objective is to win....then development,while important, still takes a back seat to the more quantifiable objective of winning.

Its interesting to me in looking at USSF Academy rosters in Charlotte......to see the number of kids who cut their teeth at smaller clubs. Not a majority by any means....but still a surprisingly high number.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Our CESA premier team actually did better when we had just upstate players playing together, and that's not to say the players from the other parts of the state were not equal or better. When we started adding players from the coast and midlands we didn't win state for 3 years in a row. I would go to the practices and there would be maybe 8 premier players from our team practicing. The out of town players from our team would practice in their hometown with a group of different aged CESA players. There's not alot of continuity when the full team only practices 1 day a week together. How many athletic teams that you know do this? Do you think CESA looked at player development on this one or do you think there more interested in expansion of their club.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Quote:

Your generalization is not applicable to the USSF Development Academy.

I know we are all painting with broad strokes here, but if are referring to SCU, well, then it applies! Just a matter of degrees.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Our CESA premier team actually did better when we had just upstate players playing together, and that's not to say the players from the other parts of the state were not equal or better. When we started adding players from the coast and midlands we didn't win state for 3 years in a row. I would go to the practices and there would be maybe 8 premier players from our team practicing. The out of town players from our team would practice in their hometown with a group of different aged CESA players. There's not alot of continuity when the full team only practices 1 day a week together. How many athletic teams that you know do this? Do you think CESA looked at player development on this one or do you think there more interested in expansion of their club.

I think the answer to your question is perfectly obvious. It is 100% geared towards winning.

But here's an intersting thought....from the clubs perspective the out of town player is picked to help the team win championships.

But why does an out of town player choose CESA?

I know lots of kids who bypass an Academy team to travel to Greenville to play for CESA. Obviously......they see value.
What logical person consciously chooses a harder route unless they see benefit?

Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard