Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
S
bench
bench
S
I don't have a dog in this fight, but it is difficult to take you seriously when you admit to lying in your posts.

It also caught my attention that you refused to pay for the rest of the season after your child was injured. I have never been associated with CESA, but every other club I have been associated with requires you to sign a contract for either the season or the entire year.

S
coach
coach
S
>>[gbdawgs] Regarding you, i took the liberty of reading the history of your posts, either your drinking the CESA koolaid, you work for CESA, or you are CESA, but this is an open forum website and we can enjoy the freedom to post.<<

I don't get a chance to get on the message board as much as I used to when my daughter played club and high school, and I probably wouldn't have noticed but I have a home in Lexington from where your posts are theoretically from and that sparked my interest.

My name is Mark Campbell. Most of the my posts on this message board were made with that username; I switched at a certain point - but have not and am not trying to hide my identity. I've been open about my involvement with CESA. In the past my daughter played at CESA - has not played club for more than two years now - I don't have any children that aren't in college now - and have no relatives playing at CESA either. I think it's been about two years since I spoke to anyone at CESA.

I don't dispute the fact that this is an open forum and everyone has the right to post - as you and I are doing so now. I don't even dispute the right to attempt to mislead people on this message board regarding your identity or your underlying motivations. What I'd recommend - and I mean this respectfully - is that if you're going to attempt to mislead people regarding your intentions and motives that you do so more carefully.

What's my opinion on the pretty obvious complaint that seemingly led to this thread's creation? I think CESA is priced higher than most clubs. Then again, I think that buying a Porsche is different than buying a Chevy - or a Yugo. I like the fact that there are options for kids - both high-priced options and low-priced options. (Note: I've said this so many times on this message board that even I'm bored saying it!) I don't think CESA is for everyone - just as I don't think that other clubs are for everyone.

Is CESA worth the money? Absolutely debatable question. I would think that this depends on your child's goals and on your financial situation. As I noted earlier, I think anyone hoping for a financial return on investment in playing club soccer is foolish. But in terms of the car analogy above - today, I personally don't want or need a Porsche - I'm okay with my truck. So paying for a Porsche would be a waste of money. But I have a friend who spent about $150K for a Porsche - and he gets a lot of enjoyment from it. While I don't mind stating I don't need a Porsche - I don't find myself omniscient to the point of being able to argue that all Porsche buyers are idiots. But that's just me.

Look - I really do think that as a disgruntled former customer/patron/member of CESA you have a right to complain. I just think that you have more - not less - credibility when you do so from an open and honest position.

world cup
world cup
That pretty much sums up the whole club soccer experience, I don't think it has ever been stated any better than this.

Define what you want to get out of it and then investigate and pursue your options. Cafeteria menu-like pricing.

Remember, a child's level of ability, passion and commitment often changes every season. The path you were investing in back at U13 might not be the path you want to invest in at U17. Doesn't mean that the parent, player or club did anything "wrong" along the way.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

Remember, a child's level of ability, passion and commitment often changes every season. The path you were investing in back at U13 might not be the path you want to invest in at U17. Doesn't mean that the parent, player or club did anything "wrong" along the way.

I totally agree. These are after all still kids and they should experience and try new things especially now when they are young and have the chance. How many adults change careers at some point in their lives? How many adults pick up new hobbies in their lives? So why do some people on this forum not get it. Just because a kid decides a particular level,team or soccer at all is not for them does that mean the kid, parent or club has been a failure or somethihg was "wrong"?

I personally know of one young lady that played soccer from a very early age. She decided her Junior year of high school she wanted to get involved with several other things and soccer was no longer as important. Her coaches and teammates were dumbfounded as she was by far one of the best players in this area. She probably bypassed a chance to play somewhere in college. The bottom line is it was for her a personal choice. The club she played for did nothing wrong, her parents did nothing wrong and she did nothing wrong and is not a failure. She enjoyed her soccer years, learned alot about teamwork, dedication, determination and herself.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Shibumi you give a fair analogy. When I began posting we were still on the fence about staying with CESA, so since I was only looking out for my child I was trying to stay under the radar, and ask some hard questions without being summoned to the Club office and getting my child thrown out of the club. When it comes to my family members I only care about them. We've had a parent in the past on our team and myself called to the office in the past about making detrimental comments to the club. After 5+ years or whenever CESA was formed we decided as a family to leave CESA, not because my daughter wanted to give up soccer, because the economic, time and travel burden got to be to much for our child and her parents. My daughter continues to play for another club, so all is good. I also have 2 usernames on this board, which so do most of my soccer friends on this board, some even have more than two. I just think if you have an issue with a club, speak out, because their not hearing it when you meet with them. I think they get a little paranoid at times when a group of people are complaining about them. If the complaints are valid I'll post and comment. Again, your correct I initially took the wrong approach. My other username is much more friendly.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Interesting remarks here on the board lately...
First, my soccer coach friends deserve everything they make for coaching young ladies and young men. CESA is a corporation that has success. You cannot blame them for the money they are able to make. However, there are clubs out there that are growing and have success for little investment-it can be done. "But it takes a village"-H.Clinton
For Example:
Sandhills United SC $175 and that is it.
Includes two adidas uniform kits
No monthly fee
No travel expenses paid by parents for coaches.
No tournament fees
All licensed coaching staff.

The coaching staff does it for the love of the game and the kids.
I have given my own money, time, and effort and still feel I have received more than I have given. However, you cannot blame folks for trying to make a living coaching. However, we here at SUSC try to be different to reach kids that would not have the opportunity otherwise.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Have to agree with gbdawgs about one thing. You can't talk to the CESA "higherups". They don't like it and will not listen to reason. And yes, ramifications to your kid can occur. I've witnessed it first hand and seen it done to others.

That said, my kids, overall, enjoy their soccer experience. We also have enjoyed meeting many great folks along the way and had some great coaches, but also had a few "unique" ones. But that is true with any endeavor of this sort.

The guys at CESA need to think about customer service and costs. Doubt that they will, because with no real competition locally, why do you have to?

Wow, if only I could have that situation in my business!!!

I
goal
goal
I
I am not a CESA lover by any means, but, they created the enviornment they have. If, you stay up on this blog, you see that people love them, hate them, envy them -- the whole range.

They have been succesful to the point there is not real local competition. If there was enough of the bad stuff, then, there would be some real local competition. USA and CFC were only a short drive down the road. USA wanting to be all inclusive and nice to everyone and CFC wanting to be elite (big fish, in a small pond). If there were enough haters those two groups would have grown like wild fire. We had some kids come from Greenville not liking the CESA machine. A few. Us being USA. If I look at the CFC challenge teams, several are competing with 13 players, today. I do not see a big migration that way either. Nor do I see that as very smart (13 players), but that is just me.

My simple conclusion is - that some folks are not happy so they want to complain, some drink the kool aid by the gallon, or have a tap at home. Either view is not the average CESA experince. Reality is somewhere in the middle. Always is. Always will be. The average CESA parent is not on here...

To me it is simple if you do not like the product do not buy it. Each parent makes that decision every year. It is sad people have such buyers regret after years, and years of making their own minds up.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
I believe that there is also a certain amount of naivity that plays a role in all of this ... Too many parents & polayers hanging on to unrealistic dreams!

What kills me is that everyone is chasing this college 'thing'. But is is not your fault .... You are being sold a bill of goods by those looking to take advantage of your commitment and $$$$!!

Do yourself a favor, do your research, look at where SC players are ending up. For the vast majority of players in this state, there is no need for them to even leave it (think out of state games / tournaments), as they end up playing for the college coach down the road!

College recruiting! Biggest hoax ever, and ruining the game of soccer throughout the country!

PS: Yes, I know that there are those that simply choose this path for the journey - kudos to them.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
ZM, I thought you were a CESA member?

Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard