Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#139681 09/23/10 09:53 AM
N
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
N
I was reading through the SCSYA site, looking at all the new personnel changes, and the "regional" aspect to ODP, (three teams in every age group to start) rather than one, caught my eye.

I think this is an excellent idea, that it will bring more kids to the talent pool..thoughts?

F
bench
bench
F
I think they will have a hard time finding enough kids for 3 teams in each age group....

U
Throw In
Throw In
U
It's an interesting idea. Do we we have enough talent for 3 teams at each age group? Is it better to field one really good ODP team or 3 mediocre/below average teams where the best talent is spread out amongst the 3? Tough questions.

L
Goal
Goal
L
This was how ODP use to be and maybe they are going back to this type format.

Step 1 – tryouts in each region (Piedmont, Midlands, Coastal) and team selected for each
Step 2 – combined tryout with 3 teams in Columbia
Step 3 – final state team selected to attend region camp

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
For the younger age groups I think coaches have been fielding multiple teams which gives more players the opportunity and doesn't burn them(by not making a team) at an early age. I think the older the kids get the harder it will be to field mulitiple teams. I also liked the head coaches exclusively coming from South Carolina colleges, now it will also include high school coaches and club DOC's.

goal kick
goal kick
How will the Developmental Team for the 99 and 00 players work? Do they play games, or just practice? As to the multiple teams, the 96 Boys had two teams and it seemed to work out pretty well at regionals last summer.

world cup
world cup

Wow am I getting old.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
H
brace
brace
H
Not enough talent in SC for 3 teams in each age group.With the low number of kids that tryout in each age group you would have to keep most of the kids that tryout to fill 3 teams. Not much difference than what has been done in past years with the teams going to sub reginals. What happens if you have 30 kids tryout in the upstate and you only have 15 tryout in the lower state.Do you cut 15 players from the upstate tryouts to make a team and keep all that tried out in the lower state. I'm sure it is safe to say that some of the cut upstate kids would be better than some of those that made the team in the lower state. You will have a weaker state team than what you have now. with the 96 girls you have a very good team. I'm sure there is a player or two that has been over looked at this age but if this new way is how it will be done you may see a weaker team.

H
brace
brace
H
I do like the idea of tryouts being earlier in the year.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Why not select the best players no matter where they are from..Upstate teams are good but let's remember a potion of those players come from other states and even some from lowerstate..I would not say that the upper state has the handle on talent in SC..They do have some of the most talented teams..Any reorganization of the ODP system has to be an improvement..For the girls mostly..

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard