Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
They'll never get the girls that now play in the ECNL league back to ODP. My daughter and another girl were the only ones that played both in ECNL and ODP last year from their CESA team. To much $$$$ for the same exposure to colleges. Soccer overkill at its best.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Why not select the best players no matter where they are from..Upstate teams are good but let's remember a potion of those players come from other states and even some from lowerstate..I would not say that the upper state has the handle on talent in SC..They do have some of the most talented teams..Any reorganization of the ODP system has to be an improvement..For the girls mostly..

You may of missed my point. Im not saying that the upstate has all the best players.I'm just saying that if you make 3 teams in a age group. One from the upstate,mid and lower you may have good players cut from one team that are better than players that make it for one of the other teams just because of numbers.I'm not sure how this system will put all the best players on the final team.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I don't think they have to worry about three teams in the older age groups..I believe teams should be picked by trainers and then assigned to a coach..This would make it alittle more level playing field..Whatever the state does is going to take time to grow..Nothing is going to happen overnight and the attitudes towards ODP has to change..The only thing that will change that is to see some progress..

N
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
N
the impression that i get is that they'll pull a regional team from the three, but i think it gives more kids exposure to better coaching.

S
bench
bench
S
does anyone know the approximate cost of the developemental team for the 99 and 00's?

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

the impression that i get is that they'll pull a regional team from the three, but i think it gives more kids exposure to better coaching.

From what i understand they will have one final team. I still have a problem with a team from each area. Again, if 30 kids try out in one area and only 15 are kept you are going to have kids in that area that were cut that are better than the ones who made the team in another area that maybe had 20 tryout.
Im not sure what is wrong with having tryouts and more practices so all kids get a look and the coaches get more time to evaluate the players before deciding on a final team.
with this 3 team set up you are going to have lesser skilled players making a team because of low turnout in that region and better skilled players not making a team in their region for the same reason.
Leave it the way it is now just practice more so everyone gets more than a one day tryout.

S
kick off
kick off
S
Lets look at the price. $250.00 - $300.00 sub-regional, ODP region camp $800.00. Am i missing any other costs? You can go at least two maybe three college camps for the cost of ODP.Have done this route and was a good experience at the younger ages but the older the player becomes i begin to wonder if its a good economical decision. Also, dont forget the political aspect as well!

B
brace
brace
B
My impression is that the proposed changes are largely cosmetic, with little or no bottom-line implication for most kids. I hope I'm wrong.
Let's start with the name: Olympic Development Program. Olympic? Not. Development? Not in my experience. Program? To me, that word implies exactly the uniformity and quality of evaluation and coaching ACROSS GENDERS AND AGE GROUPS that's clearly lacking in SC ODP as it's currently constituted.
Don't get me wrong. ODP can be a very good experience, if your child draws the right, motivated, capable and committed coach. It can also be very frustrating for kids who aren't on the right preliminary list or radar screen, and therefore never get a fair shot.
As a parent, all you can do (other than spend oodles on demosphere) is hope your kid draws the right coach and doesn't get buried behind last year's flavor of the month.
If that concerns you, ask questions of your CLUB and local COLLEGE coaches. Listen closely to the answers.
If you're not convinced, set aside the grand or so you might spend on ODP and invest in a couple of high-quality residency camps.
In the space of 14 days this past summer, my child attended BOTH Region Camp in Tuscaloosa and a college camp attended by kids from three countries and 10 states, with coaches from five colleges on hand.
Guess which experience was more worthwhile.

goal kick
goal kick
The regionam system would seem to facilitate more practices. In past years sone teams were based in Greenville or Charleston giving some players long trips for practices. There should also be fewer club conflicts within each region. So, more practices and less travel would seem to be a positive. Whether one region is so lopsided with talent that its players who don't make the cut are better than those selected in the other regions remains to be seen, but I suspect that choosing 3 regional teams will result in more players included at each level. I've never counted. Does one region currently produce much more than a third of the players on the current teams?

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

The regionam system would seem to facilitate more practices. In past years sone teams were based in Greenville or Charleston giving some players long trips for practices. There should also be fewer club conflicts within each region. So, more practices and less travel would seem to be a positive. Whether one region is so lopsided with talent that its players who don't make the cut are better than those selected in the other regions remains to be seen, but I suspect that choosing 3 regional teams will result in more players included at each level. I've never counted. Does one region currently produce much more than a third of the players on the current teams?

So how will all this end up. Are we going to have three teams, one from each region and the top players from those three teams make the state team. Or do we just have region tryouts and each region is considerd a team and then the best players from each region makes the state team.
Now i assume there are different coaches from each region so who has the final say in who makes it. sounds like to me all this is doing is giving a player that is not good eneough to make the team a better chance. someone said not to forget about the political aspect of this. seems it will be even more political now that you will have state region coaches with their own team picked from their own club team with the imput of their club parents. then u will have a watered down state team with good players being left off. sounds more political now and some power struggles that will go on within the regions.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard