Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
goal kick
goal kick
Quote:

LeGazie-could never figure out why they have tryouts on the same day as State Cup. Do you really think that kids who just played a very intense hard game is showing up to tryouts with their A game?

How would they show up? I believe the State Cup is in Rock Hill, and the tryouts are in Greenville and "somewhere in the coastal district"? Again, am I missing something??

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Agreed..I don't think the state is looking to this forum for answers..My daughter played three years for ODP..The team had 22 or 23 players..The two strongest club teams in her age group had a combined seven..maybe eight players from those two teams on the state team..Far more players choose not to do ODP than we think..Three coaches that we had..Only one was affiliated with a well known soccer club and all three were college head coaches and to the best of my knowledge none of these players have had offers from these coaches...Two coaches now coach outside of the state as assistants..

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
1- December 4th is an SCYSA weeekend for first round of state challenge cup
2- Dec 4 and 5 is also the CASL girls weekend.... different issue

You would think that SCYSA would actually look at their schedule... at min it should be moved to Dec 5th.

And don't give me the "play during the week stuff". imagine a kid that has to drive 3hrs one way (roughly 7.5 hrs with game included)to go play a game on a school night potentially during the time of exams. Some may be able to study in the car, most will not

O
throw in
throw in
O
Somewhere in here here was a post that I think said that clubs promote their ODP players and somehow being a holdover goes hand in hand with the club you play for. I have observed the exact opposite. I have watched ODP holdovers not be posted on the club website. I have watched jealous club parents and players go out of their way to "freeze out" the holdover. Actually, I have seen clubs not be supportive at all of ODP. There are clubs that have "managers" whose kids play on the top team that really shouldn't be, players whose parents give much time and money to the club, thus, securing their spot on the top team and all clubs have that "good" kid that really doesn't have the talent to play on the top team. I fear that the truly gifted player who does not have a lot of money or who the club team's parents and players have chosen to resent will not have a fair chance in ODP with club influence. ODP is the opportunity to play with the best players in the state. It will not be this with club influence. I fear that it will be more people making it because of who they are rather than how they play and even more frustrating for those who are the best players in the state.

O
throw in
throw in
O
btw: December 4 is ECNL, CASL, and State Cup! Many of the best players in the state will be unable to attend try-outs. I can't wait to read the posts when they all have to go to the make-up try-out and possibly get rostered for the sub-regional in January! I think try-outs should be in November this year...like they used to be

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Somewhere in here here was a post that I think said that clubs promote their ODP players and somehow being a holdover goes hand in hand with the club you play for. I have observed the exact opposite. I have watched ODP holdovers not be posted on the club website. I have watched jealous club parents and players go out of their way to "freeze out" the holdover. Actually, I have seen clubs not be supportive at all of ODP. There are clubs that have "managers" whose kids play on the top team that really shouldn't be, players whose parents give much time and money to the club, thus, securing their spot on the top team and all clubs have that "good" kid that really doesn't have the talent to play on the top team. I fear that the truly gifted player who does not have a lot of money or who the club team's parents and players have chosen to resent will not have a fair chance in ODP with club influence. ODP is the opportunity to play with the best players in the state. It will not be this with club influence. I fear that it will be more people making it because of who they are rather than how they play and even more frustrating for those who are the best players in the state.

You just hit the nail on the head with just about every soccer club if not all soccer clubs around.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

btw: December 4 is ECNL, CASL, and State Cup! Many of the best players in the state will be unable to attend try-outs. I can't wait to read the posts when they all have to go to the make-up try-out and possibly get rostered for the sub-regional in January! I think try-outs should be in November this year...like they used to be

Maybe this is how they want it. Maybe enough parents who thought it wasnt fair that their kid didnt make it has gotten their way and now they can with a lot of good players out of town.

B
brace
brace
B
Anyone here actually think SCYSA will get it?

D
throw in
throw in
D

Everything is CESA's fault. If I hear this litany one more time, My head will explode. My son played for Columbia Soccer/Columbia United for the past 13 years, the last 6 at the elite level. All I heard was CESA this and CESA that. From the board, coaches, parents, on down to the players.

One of the main problems with ODP (and there are many as this blog has brought out} is the lack of support on the club/team coach level. In all of the years my son was eligible for ODP, not one coach encouraged/spoke to him or his team about ODP. Look at club websites and see how many promote ODP. The only mention on SC United's website that I could find was one of their players making Region.

This past year the 93 boys state team had 20 players rostered. Most were from the upstate (Greenville and Rock Hill, CESA influence again). Only 10 went to Region Camp. The team took on the 4 players from Georgia to make a team. Seems that GA has its problems too.

Columbia United (SC United) has 5 U-17 teams this season. Thats around 90 players of 93's and 94's. Add the 93's playing U-18 and the 94's playing U-16, and the # becomes around 150 or more players. Guess how many tried out for ODP last year. Three. One 93 and two 94's. That is atrocious.

Many at SC United have put all of their eggs in the Developmental Academy basket and think that ODP should just go away. And without support, maybe it will. Let's face it: The Academy is not for every player. There are only so many spots on the Academy roster. Whether it be Classic League, Challenge League, Region III Premier, Atlantic Soccer League, National League, or ODP, there are many venues where good players can participate and develop. There is a place for ODP. It could be so much more than it is. But first it needs support.

SCYSA member clubs should be made to lend support. To be sanctioned by SCYSA, all clubs should participate and support all of SCYSA's programs. Maybe each club should be mandated to fill a minimum # of slots per age group based on the size of the club at ODP tryouts. But, with this mandated participation, the clubs should require a total revamp of the program.

Another problem is tryouts. I am amazed at how the state organization and coaches can expect to meet with players from across the state for 3 hours on a Saturday morning, watch 100 players in an age group play 8v8, and choose a state team, giving every kid who shows up an equal chance. Rightly or wrongly, parents and players leave these tryouts feeling the game is rigged.

I don't know who on the state level is in control of ODP. But they need new blood to give a new vision of what ODP is and what it could be for the players of SC. Maybe an advisory board of those who don't have a vested interest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not faulting those who have worked so hard in the past for SC ODP. But there are new challenges facing the program and unless the powers that be sit down and take a long hard look at ODP and revamp the program, it will continue to be so much less than it could be. And the losers are not the administrators, directors, coaches, parents -- the losers are the young boys and girls who are being shortchanged.

goal
goal
Everything is CESA's fault. (i just love fireworks, brains exploding, etc...)

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard