Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20
The Chief #140224 12/10/10 04:01 AM
N
Throw In
Throw In
N
they were saying that they were looking for 18 in each age group, and alternate status was unlikely in most cases. turnout was thin at best.

goal kick
goal kick
Excerpt from 2007 TopDrawer Soccer interview with Gabriele Ferrari after he signed with Sampdoria in Serie A, I posted this a couple of years ago, and it still comes to mind:

TDS: You are sort of a classic example now for how good a player can come through the youth ranks and be missed by the system. Is the fact that you are making matchday lineups in Sampdoria kind of a vindication for you?

Gabriel Ferrari: I've spoken with my parents and family about how I was never really noticed here in America but when I went to Europe as soon as they laid their eyes on me they saw something. I don't know why that was. I remember when I was 13 trying out for the Eastern New York ODP team and I didn't make it. When I was 13 I was good, but I've gotten better as time has gone on so I guess that's part of it, but I really can't answer why I've never been part of a regional or national camp before. It's a pretty big mystery.

TDS: Were there some other opportunities with ODP after you were 13?

Gabriel Ferrari: I had made the team the year before and made it, but I didn't make the regional team. Then when I was 13 I tried out again for state team and didn't even make that. After that I kind of lost faith and hope in the ODP system to be quite frank. I didn't try out anymore. I had no interest. I had a lot of friends making regional and national teams and I just broke it off and kept playing for my club and school teams.

goal kick
goal kick
I heard that in Columbia, parents were told that there would be two teams for each age group. They may not really know until the second tryout.

LeGrazie #140227 12/10/10 05:33 AM
brace
brace
From the SCYSA web site
"The purpose of the State Pool Tryout is to select two teams per age group who will be selected to attend the Sub Regional games on January 7-9, 2011 (boys in Winston-Salem, NC, and girls in Gainesville, GA). "
and
"After the Sub Regional games in January the District Pool Teams will train approximately two times each month, with two of these sessions being Centralized Training Sessions held at the BB&T Complex in Columbia. Again, in mid-April, the head coach of each age group will announce the State Team members selected to attend the Region III Camp. The State Teams will then train several times before the Region III Camp is held"

Sounds like 3 teams at district level practice after the two teams return from subregional, and based on seeing the players over a longer time frame the state team will be picked.

The Chief #140228 12/10/10 02:40 PM
B
brace
brace
B
Ho hum. Who are they kidding?

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Chronic lack of diversity is a tremendous problem in soccer across the U.S. It could be addressed in some measure by active, constructive outreach programs in minority communities, but many "soccer people" are resistant to the idea. The reality is, many minority South Carolinians simply can't afford a "pay-to-play" format and hundreds of dollars worth of overpriced club gear. As has been said here before: Address cost, address participation, address diversity.
The vonly reason I'm holding my breath is because it's such a worthy goal.

i've come to the conclusion that this country will only recognize our massive hispanic/minority potential is if the hispanic dads/moms somehow create their own local low cost hispanic leagues, like the negro baseball/hoops leagues of 50+ yrs ago. coaching money is the motivator to keep propping up our current system where we all pat each other on the back on how great we & our kids are.
kind of reminds me of the 1950's adolph rupp hoops era where we just ignore the elephant knocking on the door.

sandman #140230 12/11/10 12:06 AM
B
brace
brace
B
Not only Hispanic kids, but African-Americans! Our state is -- what? -- 30% African-American, and Hispanic Americans are our state's fastest-growing minority group. Yet, look at a typical club match.
The pay-to-play model is largely to blame, especially for Hispanic kids who have a tremendous interest in the game. If SCYSA TRULY wants to do something worthwhile, it should actively address this issue.

S
goal
goal
S
exactly.

& Go Cougs!

sandman #140232 12/11/10 01:41 AM
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Of the u-15 to u18 boys and girls premier teams at CESA, how many total players are there and how many are minorities? That would be an interesting stat to see.

gbdawgs #140233 12/11/10 02:11 AM
J
throw in
throw in
J
I don't necessarily think pay to play is hurting the hispanic community. I am in a line of work that I am in contact with the hispanic comm quite a bit (legal and illegal) alot are working jobs and making good money (under the table). Many do not know whats out there and the remainder try to lay low due to their status. I don't have any data to back this, but like I said I work where I am in contact with these folks quite a bit. They live in a system where they do not use banks, internet, credit etc. They do not always know whats out there unless there are flyers or newspaper ads.

Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard