Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

June 30-July 16, 2011 Boys & Girls US Youth Soccer ODP
Region Camp....

ECNL National Championship July 14-16, 2011 Venue TBD

Could be a scheduling problem?

Actually, the ECNL rosters can be managed in a way that these dates would not pose a problem to a club in supporting both the interests of those girls wanting to participate in ODP as well as the club fulfilling its committment to attending the ECNL event.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

And, FWIW, CESA is slowly losing some of its boys to Academy, eh?

I'm not as familiar with the boys' side and Academy, but I'm not seeing anything in the USCLUBSOCCER rules prohibiting participation in ODP. (I'm sure someone could correct me if I'm wrong about that. Please do.) If there is no restriction by USCLUBSOCCER on participation and the boys are being told by their club that they can't participate (I have no idea if that's the case), then perhaps any Academy related members of the committee need to also evaluate his/her club policies regarding participation in ODP for conflicts of interest.

DeltaDog #140086 11/11/10 06:50 PM
S
bench
bench
S
the Chief:

Rock Hill/FM is part of the mid state- so tryouts in Columbia or any mid state area would be where to go.

soccer321 #140087 11/11/10 07:37 PM
N
Throw In
Throw In
N
I gotta tell ya, it never ceases to amaze me at the direction these conversations take.

My dad used to tell me, "show up, try out, do your best and try your hardest." If I didn't make it, he'd ask if I did my best, and I'd say yes, he said, "so u'll try again next year." I worked harder, and sometimes I made it, sometimes I didn't. I tell my kids the same thing.

The ONLY thing that my kid has been told is that the coach doesn't want them to play school soccer during season, because they wouldn't be able to give 100% to both, and he wanted 100% of their focus. They thought about it and said, "ok".

I am not interested in anyone's agenda, I just want my kid to "show up, try out, do your best and try your hardest." The deck is only stacked against those who don't give it their all.

RECCOS #140088 11/11/10 08:10 PM
G
throw in
throw in
G
Quote:

If you just took the time to get past your own agenda's it would actually begin to make sense ...

Who has the best players in the State? And if you were responsible for putting together a team to represent SC who would you try to get involved?

Well looking at the u12, u13, u14, and u15 I thing the best female players are porbably coming from the middle part of the state.

Running with the big dogs
Go USC #140089 11/11/10 09:12 PM
D
Goal
Goal
D
I'm guessing that's based on some SC club team results. My guess would be there will be players selected representing all areas of the state. And, all of the individuals participating in the tryouts will not necessarily be found on SC club team rosters. Some are playing club in NC or GA, and some aren't playing club at all. That's one of the aspects of ODP that I like... tryouts are open to anyone living in the state or playing club in the state (I believe a player from Charlotte playing for a SC club is eligible by USYSA to try out in either SC or NC). A player does not have to be affiliated with club soccer to participate.

DeltaDog #140090 11/11/10 11:06 PM
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Quote:

Quote:

June 30-July 16, 2011 Boys & Girls US Youth Soccer ODP
Region Camp....

ECNL National Championship July 14-16, 2011 Venue TBD

Could be a scheduling problem?

Actually, the ECNL rosters can be managed in a way that these dates would not pose a problem to a club in supporting both the interests of those girls wanting to participate in ODP as well as the club fulfilling its committment to attending the ECNL event.

Dog, Explain how the rosters could be managed to be in 2 different parts of the country at the same time. Didn't you run into this ODP/ECNL dilema last year with your youngest?

gbdawgs #140091 11/12/10 02:54 AM
D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Dog, Explain how the rosters could be managed to be in 2 different parts of the country at the same time. Didn't you run into this ODP/ECNL dilema last year with your youngest?

Technically, there are two separate rosters. One is the SCYSA (USYSA?) roster. Except for the U-18 age group it allows a maximum of 18 players and is "frozen" sometime prior to State Cup. The other is the ECNL roster. It has a maximum of 26 players and is somewhat "frozen" around April. Those rosters are independent of one another as far as what you can do with them.

Let's say I have a club with two U-17 teams, one I'll call the Premier Team and the other the Challenge Team (names don't matter). Both teams are SCYSA rosters, so I can't be moving kids around there... a player can only be on one roster at a time. My Premier Team has the max 18 players, and the Challenge Team also has the max 18 players. Now, let's say I create a new team called the ECNL Team (again, name really doesn't matter). I use the ECNL roster as a 26 player pool. Maybe 16 players from my Premier Team and 10 from the Challenge Team, whatever mix works out hopefully short of shanghai tactics.

Now let's say you throw those conflicting dates at me. The players on the Challenge-Team-only roster are free to go to Region Camp if that's their interest and they've made the State ODP Team. Of the players on the ECNL team I can release as many as 10 to participate in Region Camp at a time, still leaving me a 16 player roster to carry to the ECNL event. And, since a club team in SC is probably populated by players from two ODP age groups (for instance my U-17 group this year probably has '93 and '94 ODP age groups), I'll probably never hit 10 as the number of players I'd have to release for ODP at a given time. Even if both age groups were attending the same week I'd have to have at least 10 of my ECNL rostered players on the State Team to cause me any concern.

By fully utilizing the flexibility currently afforded by the ECNL roster I...

1. Show support to my Challenge players by providing additional opportunities to play another level (ECNL).
2. Show support to my Challenge players by providing additional opportunities for recruiting exposure (ECNL).
3. Create an opportunity for ME to further evaluate players' performance/development from the Challenge Team alongside the players from the Premier Team without prematurely committing a Premier Team roster spot.
4. Since I can only take 18 of the 26 as a roster for a given event, I can just about offer the parents an opportunity to buy 2 plane tickets instead of 3.
And, last but not least and relevant to this thread...
5. After all that opportunity I've provided for some of the Challenge players, I can offer support to my Premier players interested in playing a higher level and release them to participate in ODP without putting me in a bind for the ECNL event.

You have to get beyond the one roster for two leagues perspective, and recognize you are actually working with two rosters for two leagues. Currently as last year, the club sponsoring the ECNL teams in SC uses the one roster two leagues approach... by decision not requirement. One roster two leagues means you are participating in ECNL using SCYSA roster limitations.

Now, when ECNL drops the other shoe on ODP participation... you're toast.

soccer321 #140092 11/12/10 12:39 PM
brace
brace
Yes thanks I found it out by searching the SCYSA site, took some reading but it was there, sort of. Guess those of us here in our little corner can't complain about the distance without getting in line behind Hilton head and Myrtle beach!
Guess that if we had a stronger club situation up here we could get better turnout. With the number of quality SC players playing for CUFC and CSA we could likely boost the ODP turnout, but I think most of these players are not getting involved in SC because they play in NC, heck I know of one SC girl who plays for Lake Norman soccer club.

The Chief #140093 11/12/10 01:17 PM
world cup
world cup
Dog,
Under what circumstance would you leave two girls from your premier team off the ECNL roster?

Chief,
There are three girls from Fort Mill playing on the Lake Norman U-17 Girls team.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 4 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard