Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
L

"I think Mexico made us look not so good today," Sundhage said. "They are a very technical team. We tried hard, but we weren't lucky and Mexico had a good goalkeeper. We couldn't put away the chances we created, and if you can't do that, you won't win. The women's game is so tight nowadays, there are so many good teams out there, that you have to put away your chances."

wow - what a statement "mexico is a very technical team". so are they more technical than the uswnt side? i don't see much techical development in youth soccer anymore. only focus is on winning.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/...women-world-cup

throw in
throw in
all i have to say is that if canada can beat costa rica, we can beat costa rica.

S
coach
coach
S
I don't remember ever saying what I'm about to say on the message board - while my daughter was involved I kept my opinions to myself. Also let me note that I do not believe my daughter deserves to be on a national team - so this observation isn't personal.

With that said, I don't think the fundamental issue with any of the national teams is technical training. I think that it's a fundamentally corrupt system - and has been quite a while. It's rotted from the foundation up.

As long as we have college coaches associated with the programs that show an unbelievably clear preference for their players, we'll continue to see a decline in our nation's performance.

Brace
Brace
CANCUN, Mexico -- The United States is in danger of missing next year's Women's World Cup following one of the biggest upsets in the sport's history, a 2-1 defeat to Mexico on Friday night in the semifinals of qualifying in the North and Central American and Caribbean region.

The Americans, the 1991 and 1999 champions and the defending Olympic gold medalists, must beat Costa Rica on Monday in the third-place CONCACAF playoff, then win a home-and-home, total-goals playoff with Italy, the No. 5 team in European qualifying, to reach the main draw. The first leg is in Italy on Nov. 20 and the second would be at Bridgeview, Ill., on Nov. 27.

"I don't feel good right now, but there is another game," U.S. coach Pia Sundhage said. "I told the team that as long as there is a chance to go to the World Cup, we will take that."

Maribel Dominguez scored in the third minute, and Veronica Perez beat goalkeeper Nicole Barnhart with a header in the 27th off a pass from Juana Lopez to qualify Mexico for next year's tournament in Germany.

Carli Lloyd had tied the score for the U.S. with a goal in the 25th minute following a poor punch by goalkeeper Erika Venegas on Megan Rapinoe's corner kick.

Mexico had been 0-24-1 against the U.S.

"I think Mexico made us look not so good today," Sundhage said. "They are a very technical team. We tried hard, but we weren't lucky and Mexico had a good goalkeeper. We couldn't put away the chances we created, and if you can't do that, you won't win. The women's game is so tight nowadays, there are so many good teams out there, that you have to put away your chances."

The top-ranked United States outshot No. 22 Mexico 17-8 but is in danger of failing to reach the Women's World Cup for the first time.

The Americans outscored opponents 18-0 in the first round and had beaten Mexican in all four previous meetings in qualifiers by a combined 26-0. Since the 2007 World Cup, the Americans had been 54-1-6.

"You can't take anything for granted. We knew Mexico would be a good team and that it would be a good game," Sundhage said. "Today, they scored one more goal than we did, and their early goal made a big difference. They got the 12th player, the crowd, to support them, and they had so much energy. Not only that, when we scored to tie the game, they came back to score right after."

In the first semifinal, Canada qualified for the fifth straight time, beating Costa Rica 4-0 on goals by Josee Belanger, Jonelle Filigno and Christine Sinclair and an own goal.

Link Copied to Clipboard