Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
goal
goal
"50 coaches from 15 schools in attendance." So, on average, each of those 15 schools brought 3 or more coaches. That is amazing.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Daddy, if Mom is referring to Concorde Fire of Atlanta then I would say the player was a developmental academy player. Such players may register with US Soccer Development Academy to play no more than 6 academy matches, which allows the player to also play his US Youth Soccer schedule. This can only be done when the player is playing a club sanctioned as a feeder for the academy program. Concorde Fire is such a club.

You are correct. A developmental player can also play on a club team.

D
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
D
Bellig

Glad to see you know how to divide. The 50 coach count came from the # of team profiles handed out to college coaches during a particular match and the school they represented duly noted. There were a few colleges with 2 or 3 coaches in attendance. Evidently, due to your "audit" of the #'s, several college names were not noted when the profiles were handed out.

B
brace
brace
B
Note to parents:
No need to obsess about how many schools/coaches are at any given event. If your kid can play, coaches will know. If your kid can't play, coaches will know that, too. And oh, by the way, if you're the type of parent who obsesses over how many schools/coaches see your kid play, coaches will know THAT, too.
Point is, coaches generally don't discover kids at showcases. And if they did, they wouldn't award a grant without significant follow-up and due diligence.
Attendance numbers such as those posted above are for the benefit of clubs/organizers trying to lure PAYING CUSTOMERS. (That would be you, oh obsessed parents.)

goal
goal
So, the person or persons who "duly" noted the coaches and their respective schools really weren't quite so "duly" after all (at least you were close, I'm sure)

I do find it interesting, though, that GSDad (who appears to be quite the cesa fan) says he didn't see 40-50 coaches all weekend. Maybe he really wasn't there?

Ya know, they say there's 3 sides to every story...

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Belligerent,
There were no coaches there.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Quote:

Note to parents:
No need to obsess about how many schools/coaches are at any given event. If your kid can play, coaches will know. If your kid can't play, coaches will know that, too. And oh, by the way, if you're the type of parent who obsesses over how many schools/coaches see your kid play, coaches will know THAT, too.
Point is, coaches generally don't discover kids at showcases. And if they did, they wouldn't award a grant without significant follow-up and due diligence.
Attendance numbers such as those posted above are for the benefit of clubs/organizers trying to lure PAYING CUSTOMERS. (That would be you, oh obsessed parents.)

You make the statement that there is no need to obsess but it seems to be what EVERY program is hanging their hat on. The number of college coaches they can get to these events. I think most young soccer players would like to play at the next level. The traveling and expenses continue to get farther and more expensive trying to obtain that elusive soccer scholarship.

goal
goal
Ok, since Loc chimed in, let me change that to 4 sides (although, I sense that he/she was being maybe a little sarcastic?)

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Belligerent,
Your mind is made up so there is little reason to argue. As far as I know, you were not in Raleigh, so you really have no idea of the number of coaches there or of the caliber of teams. Here is my opinion. I think there are both good and bad teams in each league. There are good and bad coaches in each league. There are college coaches that go to both leagues. But I understand that you want to champion the affiliation you are associated with- human nature.

I thought the way you stated that the CESA teams did so poorly was a shot at the teams and the players on those teams. Players do read this as well. And unless you have walked in the shoes of Tormey and Hyslop you really don't know if they are worth their money or not. Maybe they are and maybe they aren't, but I thought that was a cheap shot.But again your call to post or not post.

Everything has not been sunny on the Academy side, but I don't see anyone running it down on this board. I've been guilty of running off at the mouth and running Cola. down but it's pointless. I think both sides are trying to serve players the best they can.

B
brace
brace
B
Hi Mom:

Guess my point is twofold. 1) The numbers the clubs report are often irrelevant, or at least exaggerated, precisely because that's what they're selling to tuition-threatened parents; and 2) If a child is good enough to play college soccer, EVERYBODY knows it already. The soccer community is small, and when coaches congregate, the conversation generally centers on players. There are very few "secrets."

Yes, there are exceptions; i.e., the club player in Utah who flies under the radar as a "youth" player, but matures physically in his 20s and is randomly discovered in an adult league, then signs an MLS contract.

My advice to parents is simple. Save money for tuition like your kid will never play in college. Encourage him/her to get great grades. Foster his/her development as an athlete and person. THAT'S how your child will attract genuine attention: not at some over-hyped showcase.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard