Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#140565 11/18/10 01:51 AM
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
Looking forward to a weekend of soccer on James Island.
Weather looking good (low 70's) and so are the brand new Palmetto Scholars U14 girls playing out of CASC.

Palmetto Scholars Academy, South Carolina's first charter school for gifted and talented students is entering a squad of girls in grades 6-8 and we are very much looking forward to it. Please say hello if you see us, and good luck to all the teams this weekend.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
S
goal
goal
S
its going to be a good weekend.

will that team play spring?

Last edited by sandman; 11/19/10 12:18 PM.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Wondering how brisk the weather will be when we report to the field for an 8:00 start, but yes, it promises to be a great weekend of soccer--looking forward to it!

I've got good news and bad news...
J
throw in
throw in
J
I am looking forward to seeing all the teams play and see how my kids do(it's their first tourney). Hopefully the weekend goes smooth for everyone.

Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
Quote:

will that team play spring?

Not sure. Thought about it for the fall but we couldn't get our act together in time. The school only opened a week or so prior to lsysa registration deadline so we held off until we saw what we had.

Trained for about 10 weeks on a piece of grass the size of a postage stamp and put together what I feel will be a team that should represent themselves well this weekend.

We may enter lsysa in spring or just play a season of tournaments. Either way, you'll see us a few times round the lowcountry.

Chas, I had that 8am start last year with my U12G and I was miserable. Better stop at Dunkin Donuts and fill up on that piping hot java.

C
Coach
Coach
C
That would mean rolling out of bed even earlier...guess I'll rely on Under Armour and my signature sideline animation to keep me warm and alert!

I've got good news and bad news...
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Palmetto Scholars Academy, South Carolina's first charter school for gifted and talented students is entering a squad of girls in grades 6-8 and we are very much looking forward to it. Please say hello if you see us, and good luck to all the teams this weekend.

Sounds like an area with a lot of money to me. Must be nice to form your own schools, clubs, complexes, etc. and do things the way you want to do. Most of us don't have such luxury and have to live with what we can meagerly manage.

P.S. - Hope to run into you this weekend. Heading to JI in a few!

S
throw in
throw in
S
How do the kids get enrolled or invited? Greenville county has a gifted and talented school that goes from 3-8th grade which is open at no cost to all Greenville county students that score I think in the 98 or 99% on the Iowa test in 2nd grade. They did not have middle school sports but the kids could play for their "zoned" middle school or high school(non contact sports). So if Palmetto Scholars Academy puts together a middle school team for the spring will they play against other middle schools in the low country? Are they then under any "transfer" restrictions? or since it is middle school it doesn't matter.
Good Luck hopefully you can translate it into a middle school team.

scwame #140573 11/21/10 03:20 AM
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
PSA is part of the South Carolina Public Charter School District, and as such can enroll students from any county in SC. As a charter school, not a magnet school it cannot require admission testing. However, PSA’s curriculum is designed for high ability learners. Right now it only supports grades 6-8 but will grow into 6-12 over the next 4 years. Like any other public school, there is no cost (tuition) but we do chip in.

Given the samll size of the school (~ 180 kids today) and even smaller population of soccer players, it is unlikely we will make the jump to JV/Varsity soccer any time soon. Who knows maybe in a few years.

If we play in any event or league it will be under CASC (SCYSA) club affiliation. Had a good day today at JI. Dropped both games 2-0 to JI Select and 5-0 to a very good Augusta Arsenal squad but since this was our first ever outing (literally), we are not worried. In fact quite the opposite. I was very encouraged with how well our girls played and looking forward to more Sunday against a MP team. We'll get better.

Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
Lost our last game 1-0 but a great outing and experience for these young ladies. Well done to our counterparts (MP aftershock) who kept the pressure on and deserved the win. Our girls learnt a very valuable lesson. Nothing good comes from playing the entire second half in your own end.

Thanks to all who stopped by and said hello and for the support expressed regarding this group of girls. Loof for more from us in the spring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard