Goal Kick
Goal Kick
O
Club & High School Soccer Together for Never
http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-socc...ther_for_Never=

world cup
world cup
Draconian.

We faced this problem 10 years ago. Glad to see South Carolina is ahead of Arizona.....at least in this department.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
202677 Offline OP
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
Thanks Hurst for posting! Good read!

Victory Starts Here!
world cup
world cup
Have to give credit to the Old Gal.

I only commented.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Great article, Although I have to give credit to the state of Arizona. If every state followed Arizona, the soccer club costs would be more affordable for everyone. It would also force clubs to give the youth soccer kids a break which is wanted by most youth soccer players and follow the model of the big three sports. If soccer was moved back to the high schools, soccer would be following the same model of other youth sports. If your a good soccer player a college coach is going to find you just like they find football, baseball, basketball, softball players in the high school athletic programs. And if club soccer would back off these kids a little bit, the girl in the article wouldn't have to make the tough decision.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Are you saying that college baseball players only played HS baseball? Are you suggesting that it's prudent for a talented basketball player to skip AAU and summer camps and just rely on his HS team even if he/she is in a weak school and playing in a weak conference? Have you ever looked at the club volleyball and hockey teams in the west and northeast?

I'm pretty sure if you look back at the origin of what you're so upset about, you wouldn't find that soccer clubs across America went door to door begging people for players. On the contrary, I'll bet you'd find parents out there who were unsatisfied with middle school and high school situations and went looking for someone to provide more. I'll bet you'll find that parents went to recreational leagues at u-12 and u-10 and wanted someone to do more than what was being done. I'll bet you'll find that the club that is willing to 'back off' is also the club that finds itself asking 'how come there are kids in our town driving 1-3 hours to play somewhere else and not playing in town?' You'll also find parents and players wishing their hometown club would offer more.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Harry, i don't think that's the point. hs basketball, baseball players can play their hs season and then participate in aau, camps, etc in the off season, which is currently being done in these other sports. youth soccer clubs are putting pressure on these kids to make a decision because hs soccer and club soccer are starting to overlap. i think most youths don't want to make a tough decision, they do want to play both hs and club and there's nothing wrong with that as long as they don't overlap. if a youth basketball player or baseball player went to their high school coach and said i'm going to miss my hs game because of another venue, they would be kicked off the hs team. I was watching the under armour hs football game (which is a college showcase) on espn tonight. do you think under armour would schedule this venue during hs football season. NO. AAU basketball also doesn't overlap with HS sports. Girls hs softball leagues don't overlap with girls softball summer leagus. HS Soccer lasts 3 months, is 9 months a year not enough for these soccer clubs.

C
bench
bench
C
No 9 months is not enough cause if they only play 9 months the clubs only get paid for 9 months. It is about the MONEY

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Where is all of this overlap? U13-14/JV? Didn't U15-18(high school age) end with state cup and high school has not yet started?

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

No 9 months is not enough cause if they only play 9 months the clubs only get paid for 9 months. It is about the MONEY

I have to ask, because I keep seeing comments about 'the money'. I keep hearing about directors lining their pockets. Can someone back this up with something factual? I have seen the premier teams extend their 'season'. I have seen players presented with more opportunities. I would imagine the Delta Dog's travel expenses have risen and made it more expensive for him. Which fees that go to the club/directors increased? Is there a fee that the players paid to the club associated with playing on an ECNL team in addition to being on the premier/challenge team? What is the cost of the college combine? Is it mandatory? What is the fee for being on a premier team this year? What was it last year? What about the boys in the national league? What was paid to the club last year vs. this year?

If I'm not mistaken, recently the academy teams went from training 2 times per week to 3 times per week without an increase in fees. The older girls team camp last summer featured 10+ college coaches training the teams and a game with the Korean National team and the kids were fed. The total cost was $100. I'll answer my own question above and tell you that the College Combine costs $60 this year. There will be 30+ college coaches for men and 30+ for women. The kids will be fed and get a piece of Adidas Clothing. None of these ventures seem to add up for a club who is only interested in making money.

In short, where specifically is the extra money coming from that resulted from the lengthening of the season that these directors are so focused on?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard