Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#141592 01/30/11 01:25 AM
C
cid0000 Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
C
SC preseason rankings are in. Any surprises???

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
Goal
Goal

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year”
brace
brace
Teams are not even made yet, but it is funny to see FM at 3A being ranked behind a team they handly beat 3-1 last season. Of course they lost a lot of players so who knows. Wonder if Nation Ford (ranked 9th?) even has a coach yet?

Brace
Brace
Hilton Head was a young but very good team last year. They will be tough for anyone. Heard NaFo having meeting and tryouts as scheduled. One rumor was Finnerty returning to HS coaching. Guess we will know tomorrow.

brace
brace
If they get Jim to come back out to coach NaFo may very well be a force to be reckoned with. Two of the CSA ENCL players who go to NaFo are very well known to him. He is first class coach and person.

R
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
R
He's a butt to the officials though.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
I'm surprised JL Mann Girls are not in Top 15. Good players returning and I hear many new ones (pending they make varsity) coming in. Quite a few Premier.

goal
goal

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Sorry, I missed that Poll. Saw the one below-

Girls Class 4A
1. Wando
2. Mauldin
3. Riverside
4. Lexington
5. Clover
6. South Aiken
7. Dorman
8. Dutch Fork
9. T.L. Hanna
10. West Ashley
11. Irmo
12. Spring Valley
13. Blythewood
14. Hillcrest
15. Spartanburg

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
In this poll, they had Mann Girls still in 3A.
http://scvarsity.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1182106

Your poll reflects Mann in 4A. That explains why they were not ranked in 4A.

Let the season begin...

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Since I coach boys now I will tell you what I think...Wando still deserves to be #1 but I think Riverside gets the edge over Mauldin because they have more returning starters. I think Clover and Dorman are the next two teams. I can agree with the rankings after that.

And you will have to PM me to get me to say how Hanna will do!
3. Riverside
4. Lexington
5. Clover
6. South Aiken
7. Dorman
8. Dutch Fork
9. T.L. Hanna
10. West Ashley
11. Irmo
12. Spring Valley
13. Blythewood
14. Hillcrest
15. Spartanburg

CJ #141603 02/01/11 07:20 PM
world cup
world cup
Northwestern is a top-15 team this year. This is the best team the Lady Trojans will field since 2003.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
bench
bench
It will be interesting to see what Clover brings to the table. Other than adding one strong forward last year not sure how they will fill the spots vacated by the seniors.

brace
brace
Well based on the JV and middle school teams performance over last couple years, they may have a few players to draw on but I think they will lag well behind FM on up coming talent, in fact Nation Ford may have a better in coming group too. Still expect Clover to be solid but not sure they are getting by FM again this year!

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I can't speak to where folks will be 2 years from now. I think Fort Mill, Clover and NaFo will take some time to re-calibrate as all three schools had significant graduation losses, in their own way.

But I think from a talent perspective this year Clover will be tough to beat up in this neck of the woods. They have one of the very best players in the state in Alissa Pantuosco (Clemson bound), as well as a solid group of juniors and seniors. They also had a couple of freshman last year who played significant roles who will be considerably better this year as sophomores.

There is talent at FM for sure. And NaFo too.....altho its A LOT younger. Once again we'll be an underclassmen driven team (only 1 senior....versus 3 last year).

But Clover to me is a here and now school. This is their year....and the pressure will be on them to get it done.

brace
brace
You are right that they will be much "younger" this year. FM will only be returning around 10 or half a team. On the plus side though is that I think most of the defenders are back, of cousre that also means most of the offense is gone. Guess we will have to see if the younger players can step up and add some new goal scoring to the mix. Will be good test for them to see if they can contain Clover this year, last year was a home and home win thing gotta think the FM girls are not going to want to be first to lose to Clover at home so they too will feel the pressure either way will be fun to watch again this year!

Last edited by The Chief; 02/02/11 06:50 PM.
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Sorry. Saw Alissa play. If thats all they got they in trouble. All flash, no foot. She was headed to UNC-G but coach left so maybe he took her with him. She did nothing for our team.

world cup
world cup
Patriot,

Beg to differ. Alissa can strike a ball. Saw your team play a few times this year and it was fairly obvious that she is one of the better players on your squad.

"If thats (sic) all they got...."

Let's talk in "club terms" because that seems to be the barometer of preference on these boards. Clover has the following:

A senior outside defender who plays the same position for CESA 92 Premier.
A junior center defender who plays the same position for CESA 93 Premier.
A senior center midfielder who plays the same position for CESA 92 Premier.
A junior center midfielder who plays the same position for CESA 94 Premier.

In addition the Lady Blue Eagles have three sophomores (two forwards and a center midfielder) who play for high-level classic teams in Charlotte.

Not a bad nucleus for a team from up in the farmlands of York County.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
kick off
kick off
BC High School? Shouldn't they be number 1?

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. -Roy Keane
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Hey it's Friday, help me out, BC High School?????

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
What has Clover done in the past few seasons High School playoffs?

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
So wrong. Just because someone runs in circles at high speed doesn't make them a good player. Selfish. Curses at her own players and getting her to pass to the open player is like taken a bone from a dog. Clover nice team but in weak conference. They too shall leave in second round again just like us. Sorry.

world cup
world cup
patriot,
I'm not even going to respond to that one. Good luck to JL Mann this year, 4A is a big step up.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Also. Mann will not have a player on the field this year who is not premier or challenge. But that could mean nothing.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Pop, Clover is pre-season #5 in 4A. They should be pretty good.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Well if they are #5, they must be quite good.

world cup
world cup
The past two years, Clover has been knocked out of the 4A State play-offs by TL Hanna and Dorman. Both matches went to overtime.

If I'm JL Mann, I really don't want to draw Clover in May.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Especially after Patriot's comments.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Patriot, how many premier players on JL Mann's roster this year? I heard quite a few.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
We will have 6 premier starters and the rest challenge. We'll take Clover in the the first round but first where is it. Hard to find non relevant schools

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Pre-season rankings are about as accurate as next weeks forcast. We can trash talk all we want but the state goes thru Wando, Mauldin and Riverside. One of the three will
be on the outside looking in. Mann will have the players but time will tell if they have the it factor to get over the top.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Wow!!! The message board might be fun this year.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Mauldin lost a ton to graduation, Wando has most likely seen it's best days for a while (graduation didn't help), Riverside will have a tough season overall moving up from 3A. Look for someone else to take the crown this year. Irmo? Probably not, no speed and power up top like the big three. Dutch Fork, Mann, Clover? Who knows.

bench
bench
JL Who?

corner kick
corner kick
Mauldin did lose some quality players last year, but there are some talented girls waiting to fill those spots. They will probably start 9+ premier level players.
Region 2 will be fun to watch this year, with Mauldin, Dorman, Riverside, JL Mann, Hillcrest, Byrnes,and Boiling Springs all competing for a playoff spot. Solid teams are going to get left out and the four seed is going to make some noise in the payoffs.

Only time will tell
world cup
world cup
Does Region 2 4A get five teams into the post-season this year?

corner kick
corner kick
Just looked in the handbook, yes it does.

Only time will tell
world cup
world cup
If JL Mann finishes 5th, they will travel to Clover for a first-round state playoff match.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
South Carolina needs computer rankings based on strength of schedule. Based on the strength of HS Soccer in the upstate. The fair thing to do would be to have 8 or 9 teams from region 2 eligible for the playoffs this year and maybe 1 or 2 from region 3. The teams from the region 3 just can't compete with the class 3 and 4 teams from the upstate.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

South Carolina needs computer rankings based on strength of schedule. Based on the strength of HS Soccer in the upstate. The fair thing to do would be to have 8 or 9 teams from region 2 eligible for the playoffs this year and maybe 1 or 2 from region 3. The teams from the region 3 just can't compete with the class 3 and 4 teams from the upstate.

The SCHSSCA does use "computer rankings". They are titled the Massey Ratings and we have utilized a power rating and strength of schedule since 2000. However, the SCHSL sets the playoff brackets for all prep sports.

corner kick
corner kick
Dawg,
Region 2 only has seven teams.

Only time will tell
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
OK, a 7 to 3 ratio then.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Glad to know Mavsoccerdad has the Rule Book on his desk. That makes him "the go to guy" for rule inquiries.

brace
brace
Do not the seeding get set based on region record? If so then if your are #5 or 6 in your region you are still likely to lose to the team from your region when you face them in playoffs. Sure a weaker team may make it from another region but in the long run it does not seem to me to change the overall outcome.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Your correct probably won't change the outcome, but playoffs are all about the best teams going to the dance and that's not happening with the current setup.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
You forgot to say when pigs fly too.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
You won't be a 5th seed, probably 1,2 or 3.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Goalies in short supply. Killed us last year. By the way; No one mentioned TL Hanna. Strong team last year. Supposed to scrimmage them Wed

Last edited by patriot; 02/07/11 10:15 PM.
brace
brace
Yes I would have to agree with you that the players would rather play and lose than sit becuase some other team got an easy path to the playoffs.

Sadly it is part of the unfairness that comes with life and any "balanced" system. I think those schools who got stuck at 4A the last 3 years even though they were only 3A sized would say they would like to have had a shot at a championship instead of seeing 4A(by size) schools winning the lower division, but like I said it is all part of what we have to deal with. All we can do is push for improvements where we see the need.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Having three upper state regions with five play-off spots has really screwed things up for region 4-AAAA this year. The top two seeds from region 4 are listed in the upper state brackets and the 3, 4, and 5 seeds are listed in the lower state brackets. It's really bad for the 3 seed who has to play the 1 seed from region 7 (most probably Wando) in the first round.

The brackets are on page 60 of the AAAA Handbook.

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
Have to beat them sometime if you want to be the champs. Might as well be first round.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Have to beat them sometime if you want to be the champs. Might as well be first round.

Chances of a 3 seed being state champs are pretty slim and it hasn't happened in a long time, if ever. But the current brackets give the 4th seed from region 4 a much easier first round draw than the 3rd seed.

S
bench
bench
S
Patriot - you have one of the best keepers in the upstate and one of the top 5 in the state for female keepers - hardly short supply. Look at the schools that have to create keepers because they don't have anyone to fill that position.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
She is very aggressive and hard working. We are fortunate to have her but when you are only 5 feet tall it has drawbacks. I know Mauldin is searching for one.

S
bench
bench
S
So you two are about the same size???

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
So I know what I'm talking about. Size matters

S
kick off
kick off
S
wonder what will happen if your goalie gets called up for ECNL? What if she's not there for Viking Cup or anyother game.Good luck with that.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Like that would happen. And oh the horror if they don't do well in the precious viking cup

S
bench
bench
S
Patriot - Hasn't that already happened. Your keeper was added to the ECNL roster last Fall, so isn't she one of your players that won't be there for the Viking Cup. I know Eastside is in the same position, as they won't have a goalie for Viking cup due to ECNL games.

C
Kickoff
Kickoff
C
Patriot, maybe the Viking Cup people will start holding the Viking Cup in the same city as the ECNL Event. It would work well for you, since you are used to playing in multiple leagues at the same time.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
She was added but has told us she is not going. Team is a ways from being ready anyway. Have not looked good in scrimmages.

F
goal
goal
F
Wow, the girls 2011 4A playoffs pairings are crazy!

Let's say TL Hanna or Wren win the Region I-AAAA championship. As the Region 1 - #1 Seed, they would play the Region 2 - #4 Seed - either Dorman, Mauldin, Riverside, or JL Mann in the FIRST ROUND!

Whereas the Region 4 - #4 Seed - let's say Ridge View or Blythewood, gets a trip to Region 6 - #1 Seed - most likely West Florence, and the winner most likely gets to face the winner of a Region 8 - #2 seed - say Ft. Dorchester vs Region 5 - #3 Seed - say Aiken.

Basically 1 of the top 5 teams in the state will be out in the 1st round, and a team with a losing, or .500 record, will most likely make the 4A Lower State Semi-finals.

Dorman, Mauldin, Riverside, JL Mann, TL Hanna, or Wren is a few months away from having a completely unfair first round playoff exit; while an unranked, average team will coast into the Lower State semifinals.

Way to go Realignment, way to go...

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Only system where finishing 3rd instead of second helps

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Basically 1 of the top 5 teams in the state will be out in the 1st round, and a team with a losing, or .500 record, will most likely make the 4A Lower State Semi-finals.

Note: For some unknown reason, the Europsport Scoreboard has JL Mann listed in region 1-AAAA. http://www.eurosportscoreboard.com/page_conference.php?id=407

Dorman, Mauldin, Riverside, JL Mann, TL Hanna, or Wren is a few months away from having a completely unfair first round playoff exit; while an unranked, average team will coast into the Lower State semifinals.

Of these, only Mauldin (2) and Riverside (3) are in the top 5 in the preseason rankings. I would expect both to win their first round games barring massive injuries or sickness. But with Dorman at #7 and JL Mann at #9, Region 2-AAAA has four pre-season top 10 teams and looks like the state's strongest region. That should really make it tough for the top two seeds from Region 1-AAAA. TL Hanna (10)is the only team from Region 1 in the preseason top 15 rankings.

Anyone know why the Eurosport Scoreboard has JL Mann listed in Region 1-AAAA? http://www.eurosportscoreboard.com/page_conference.php?id=407

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Only system where finishing 3rd instead of second helps

Not in Region 4-AAAA where the 3 seed will probably face Wando in the first round.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard