Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
BennyHampton #142330 02/24/11 01:05 PM
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Coach Eudy - thanks for the class you have shown during this thread. It is refreshing.

BennyHampton - how long have you been working on English as a second language? I felt like I was reading a menu from a PoFolks restaurant.

PoFolks Restaurant

BennyHampton #142331 02/24/11 02:44 PM
B
brace
brace
B
I guess the best way to put this is ...
Pinewood has a handful of kids who would play significant roles and/or start for most (if not all) public schools in the state. Realistically, that quality does not spread throughout the entire roster, or even the starting lineup. Still, Pinewood is capable of beating a lot of programs.
My guess is, you can say the same of Cardinal Newman.
Now, I don't necessarily buy into the type of ranking posted above. But if I did, I'd say that a #24 ranking would seem to imply that SOMEBODY thinks Hammond is among the upper third of all SC High School programs, regardless of enrollment.

BennyHampton #142332 02/24/11 02:52 PM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Quote:

you cant be seriously clasifiing Hammon, Porter-Gaud, and Heathwood Hall as good teams, CN and Pinewood yes both are solid teams, but those other three should not be ranked at all, i dont know how you can honestly think they are good, those teams arnt even average, they are below average, point proven, if thats the 5 best teams in the league then the league is not very good, Honestly SCISA as a total probably would go imbatween 2A and 3A, and also all im saying is that the state championships Pinewood have been racking up really dont have all that much meaning, they have a bunch of state titles against avarage teams,making pinewood above average at best, congradulations on beeing above average, seriously think about it trade Irmo and Pinewood, Irmo would have god knows how many state titles right now, id say over 10 strait, that wouldnt make them better because all the titles would be against lesser teams, and please dont say im attacking high school athletes, they are usually 16-18 years old im sure they can take some critism,

and come on yes irmo has more kids to pick from but Pinewood is able to play their players (scholorships) , so id say its fairly equal playing field,

come on guys , i think some people are beeing a little naive, all im saying is the SCISA overall is average, which includes the unstopbable 7 time defending state champs, Pinewood is not that good this year, what can you show that they are so good this year?
they beat stratford 1-0 , yes i agree this team is definatly ready to win state this year , what am i thinking, looking at a teams current form, i should be like yall and look at their form of Pinewood from last year , and the year before cause that will definatly show me how good they are this year.

These are the teams "sandwiched" around the SCISA teams listed for the 2010 Massey Ratings:

#13 Chapin, 3A
#14 CARDINAL NEWMAN
#15 Bishop England, 2A

#16 South Aiken, 3A (now 4A)
#17 HAMMOND
#18 West Ashley, 4A

#23 Fort Dorchester, 4A
#24 HAMMOND
#25 White Knoll, 4A

#55 Walhalla, 2A (now 3A)
#56 PORTER-GAUD
#57 Berea, 3A

#58 Covenant Central, IND
#59 HEATHWOOD HALL
#60 Greenville Home School, IND

Kyle Heise #142333 02/24/11 03:18 PM
W
goal
goal
W
Backscreen-

Hammond is a top 1/3 soccer program in sc, absolutely. They have had quality players and pinasco is a very good coach.

PP, CN , and Hammond have been able to play with anyone in SC over the last 5-7 years. If you dont believe me check the results.

Last edited by Will Eudy; 02/24/11 03:38 PM.
Will Eudy #142334 02/24/11 03:21 PM
B
brace
brace
B
I'm with you, Will. I know the kids, coaches and teams.

BennyHampton #142335 02/24/11 03:53 PM
O
bench
bench
O
i'm not sure of the number of students that CN has but as far as PP goes they would be in the smaller portion of 2a. not 3a at all, so again comparing irmo(4a) is a little extreme. Also as far as your argument involving scholarship money, i believe what you are referring to is financial aid offered to families with lower incomes. A private school education can open many doors for an individual and schools aren't going to soil themselves or their reputation by simply giving money to athletes. No private school is willing to do this, not PP,not CN, not any other school mentioned on this thread.So your argument that "scholarships" level the playing field is erroneous(i am nearly certain you don't know what this word means, but basically you are wrong)Again not saying pp is unstoppable by any means, but with one starting senior lost from last years lineup, yes you probably should look at their form from last year.

oldballs25 #142336 02/24/11 04:15 PM
B
brace
brace
B
Pinewood Prep does offer substantial financial aid to certain students -- athletes among them. How do I know this? Because I was told as much by the parents of two former basketball players at the school (one girl, one boy).
At many private schools, financial aid to student-athletes accomplishes two worthy goals: 1) It supports students whose public school options are atrocious; 2) It enhances racial/ethnic diversity in a student population.
The reality is that Pinewood (like Porter-Gaud and others in the Lowcountry) recruits and financially supports student-athletes, many of whom help the school achieve the worthy goal of racial/ethnic diversity in the student body. For that matter, so has Bishop England (at least, historically), which is why a case can be made that it has an unfair advantage vs. SCHSL opposition.
Because of the nature of this site, it serves no purpose for me to "name names," but please, please, don't try to tell us Pinewood doesn't effectively recruit and financially support student-athletes. Because it just ain't true.
Now, the question here is: Does that level the playing field vs. larger-enrollment public school opponents? I would argue that it does, particularly in sports such as basketball, where one or two key players can make a monumental difference. Otherwise, aside from the genius of Pat Eidson and John Pearson, how have Pinewood Prep and Porter-Gaud historically achieved such a high profile in boys' basketball?

Backscreen17 #142337 02/24/11 04:19 PM
B
brace
brace
B
To continue, I personally have NO problem with PRIVATE schools in PRIVATE school leagues doing these things. I'm not wild about the Bishop England two-step, but that's a separate issue. Also, it bothers me not one iota that public and private schools face each other, because regardless of how/why kids matriculate at any given school, the goal of interscholastic competition is the "learning" environment provided by hard, clean competition.

Backscreen17 #142338 02/24/11 04:51 PM
goal
goal
Quote:

To continue, I personally have NO problem with PRIVATE schools in PRIVATE school leagues doing these things. I'm not wild about the Bishop England two-step, but that's a separate issue. Also, it bothers me not one iota that public and private schools face each other, because regardless of how/why kids matriculate at any given school, the goal of interscholastic competition is the "learning" environment provided by hard, clean competition.

The same can be said about Christ Church, St. Joseph's, and Southside Christian in the Upstate. I don't know too much about the home-schooled programs or the Charter schools, but I imagine it's along the same basis.

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
Always Right #142339 02/24/11 05:16 PM
B
brace
brace
B
Certainly, Bishop England's statewide stranglehold on Class AA athletics in many sports bespeaks the advantages of its wide enrollment area and (ahem) occasional "recruitment" of athletes. In boys' soccer, it also speaks volumes of the relationship between DISA and BE.
This is not to downplay the importance of coaching, tradition, etc. It just is what it is, and don't think for a minute that public school Class AA coaches don't question it all the time.
Because then, you'd be wrong! (Just kidding. I like the tag.)

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard