Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
I have a scrimmage scheduled for this week, after we played in the Carolina Classic. I was told that I wasn't allowed to do this since the games count on our record. Does anyone know for sure?

goal
goal
According to the 2010-2011 SCHSL 4A Handbook, Page 55,
Section I General Rules, A. Each school is allowed:
16 regular season varsity matches and 2 tournaments
or
18 regular season varsity matches and 1 tournament.

Varsity teams are also allowed:
4 scrimmages and 1 jamboree.

Looks to me like you have:
16 regular season varsity matches and 1 tournament;
3 scrimmages and 1 jamboree (easily within the limit)

There is also mention of tournaments: Varsity: Maximum of 10 games can be played in a combination of the two tournaments. If you choose to play more than five games in any one tournament this will constitute having played a second tournament. But that should not be an issue – you only played 4 matches in the tourney this past weekend.

Not sure what you mean by "since the games count on our record." As far as I know, all the matches you have played thus far have counted against your record.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Alister,

I've never heard of any such restriction. Nothing I can find anywhere in the SCHSL rules to support that, and I don't think anyone would want to play in an early tournament if that was the case. Everything I read points to any date prior to March 7 being open for scrimmages, regardless of tournaments.

Tournament games only count on the record for playoff seeding as a third-tier tiebreaker...if region records are tied, then you go head-to-head; if that is tied, then to overall records excluding tournaments; only if THAT record is tied do you count total record including tournament matches, and even that is a region rule, not a state rule. Wouldn't make sense to say that you can't scrimmage after a tournament because those games "count;" they are not regular season games and you are still in scrimmage territory. Sounds like someone just doesn't want you tearing up the field.

I've got good news and bad news...
Brace
Brace
You can scrimmage prior to your first regular season game.

The Weather Is Here. Wish You Were Beautiful.
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
Thanks for the feedback. I think my AD was thinking that the tournament games counted as regular season games since it counts on our record.

O
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
O
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. I think my AD was thinking that the tournament games counted as regular season games since it counts on our record.

If your AD is still Ray Stackley, then that explains everything. It is perfectly legal to continue with scrimmages after a preseason tournament. In fact, I believe Lexington is playing West Ashley tonight and the Wildcats were in Charleston this past weekend for a tourney.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Y'know, if they would just start having football tournaments, all of our ADs would be up on these rules.

I've got good news and bad news...
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
Coach Stackley has been great to work for an I appreciate all he does for the soccer program at Stratford. He has worked hard over the past few years to get our field in better shape. That may have been for football, but we have benefitted from it as well.
He was just making sure we didn't run into any trouble with playoffs or anything and I can appreciate that.
We have been cleared and are good to go.
Thanks again everyone for their feedback.
Best of luck this season
***Disclaimer: don't judge me on my inability to spell and use grammar properly. A lot of people are getting sensative about this on other threads. Me be sorry if me can't spell..

Link Copied to Clipboard