Page 21 of 23 1 2 19 20 21 22 23
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

HOW LONG IS THIS THREAD?

Currently 20 pages.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Oops. I think I just started the 21st page.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Way to take it to the next level, Coach P!

I've got good news and bad news...
J
Brace
Brace
J
harry, I don't know how much you have spent, and never claimed to. Once again, I said I don't live in South Carolina, hence my comment about cost of living being cheaper there. I asked specific people how much they spent on thier club teams to determine if I was going to have my son play in them or not. They were very candid with how much it cost. This was from direct conversations with the coaches, developmental staff, and parents. I think specific parents that told me what the exact costs of the clubs were, their travel costs, and other expenses are pretty good sources to use in determining if I want to expend that much money. I fail to see how I did not cover my bases with seeing how much this costs to do. It is not like a pulled a number from my backside to say it costs this much. I know how much it cost specific parents with specific clubs, and what the training/coaching fees are. I would say that that is pretty specific. I don't know why you are so combatitive, I was only providing facts and figures from my experience. If you want to discuss this further, feel free to PM me.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
I know that for a number of schools, the ECNL schedule caused a variety of different kinds of conflicts this year during the Viking Cup. I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but the SCHSL does have an unofficial calendar ready for next year. If there are no changes when the official version is posted in a few weeks, it looks like the dates for Viking Cup will be March 1-4, 2012. The League tells me they anticipate no changes before they post the calendar for next year.

I hope this info might be helpful to you in dealing with your local clubs.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Quote:

I know that for a number of schools, the ECNL schedule caused a variety of different kinds of conflicts this year during the Viking Cup. I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but the SCHSL does have an unofficial calendar ready for next year. If there are no changes when the official version is posted in a few weeks, it looks like the dates for Viking Cup will be March 1-4, 2012. The League tells me they anticipate no changes before they post the calendar for next year.

I hope this info might be helpful to you in dealing with your local clubs.

should have kept it a secret. now ECNL will know.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
The viking cup is a great tournament that the players look forward too. I suggest the tournament directors take a look at the ECNL schedule when it comes out. Hate to see some high schools back out if they will be missing players. Why invest the money. Caught some coaches off guard this year and may re-think the tournament. Who knows

C
Coach
Coach
C
Aaaand...here we go again.

I've got good news and bad news...
T
kick off
kick off
T
This is for everyone here and not only for the person I responded too.

You folks use figures that are way low if you have a serious player.

Our experience: My daughter started playing travel at U8 in Michigan. She played there through U11 and considering all fees, travel, wear and tear on the car/SUV, lost vacation, etc I budgeted $10,000 per year and easily spent all of that each year. U11 I spent almost $13,000. Moved to Nevada and had the benefit of a lot of tournaments in town. Still, out west every trip is a plane ride. Playing at the top level with ODP, training, club fees, auto, etc and it was still $10,000 year for U12 and $12,400 for U13. Moved to Charlotte area/ live in SC at U14 and spent $8,600. Played ECNL in U15 and spent $14,200. Disney is at least $3000 for no other reason than you have to take everybody in the house. Skipped U16 age group and played her grade with U17 and spent $11,400 so far this year. You guys need to remember that driving 1000 miles at .52 a mile adds up real quickly. Drive 10,000 miles and that is $5200 right there. Some people play games with this but I have done the math on numerous cars we have owned and it is a very good number. But when you trade in or sell the the $30,000 car with 100,000 miles on it that is 4 years old for $3,000, that is what $6700 year?

I also pay for High School with property taxes, vehicle taxes, and sales taxes to the tune of approximately $5500 per year. All four colleges that my daughter wants to attend are at the ECNL/showcase event, and none at a preseason HS event. Pretty easy to figure out which one to go to, because you pay to go to ECNL/showcase events whether you go and play or stay home. I realize that many of you are very attached to HS sports, but the reality is for the level of player we are talking about is HS has nothing to offer the top players but fun and hopefully an injury free season. What you want is the bragging rights of a victory for your own purposes at the expense of what is best for the player with 10 years of hard work. For HS coaches to punish kids for making this decision is the dumbest most selfish idiotic thing I have ever heard of.

ECNL is expanding and the clubs are going to keep the teams so busy that the players discussed here will not have the choice much to play both, and it will be the HS teams that will lose this level of player. So this issue will be solved for you in the near future.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

I also pay for High School with property taxes, vehicle taxes, and sales taxes to the tune of approximately $5500 per year. All four colleges that my daughter wants to attend are at the ECNL/showcase event, and none at a preseason HS event. Pretty easy to figure out which one to go to, because you pay to go to ECNL/showcase events whether you go and play or stay home. I realize that many of you are very attached to HS sports, but the reality is for the level of player we are talking about is HS has nothing to offer the top players but fun and hopefully an injury free season. What you want is the bragging rights of a victory for your own purposes at the expense of what is best for the player with 10 years of hard work. For HS coaches to punish kids for making this decision is the dumbest most selfish idiotic thing I have ever heard of.

ECNL is expanding and the clubs are going to keep the teams so busy that the players discussed here will not have the choice much to play both, and it will be the HS teams that will lose this level of player. So this issue will be solved for you in the near future.

I saw in another thread that someone couldn't believe I hadn't responded in a few days. I'm sorry, but I do have to work sometimes too.

Titan brings up two points here that I agree with. (I'm done talking money. Everybody has their own figure. I got upset at someone for telling me how much I spent. Who am I to tell anyone else?)

The first point being that schools may lose some of these players to club and ECNL. I'm not sure what all the scores were at Viking Cup, but they looked fairly close without the ECNL players involved. With everyone playing thier full rosters, I've seen scores in week 2 and 3 that were: 6-0 (5 times) 7-1, 7-0 (4 times), 8-1, 8-0, 9-0 (3 times), 10-1, 10-0, 11-1, 11-0 (twice) 12-0 and 14-0. These are not the games that the top level players should be in. Furthermore, I saw names on the Viking Cup All Tournament teams that may not have been there if other players were there. Please don't get me wrong, they are all good players. (at least the ones I know) The fact is that there are seniors on the All Tournament team that may or may not have been there if the 45 girls that went to San Antonio were in the tournament. I'll bet those kids deserved to be on the list and I'll bet they were happy to be there. I'll bet there were at least 2-3 kids who were not in the starting line-up before VC, but used that weekend to earn a spot. The point being, maybe there are benifits of the highest level player not playing high school.

The other point Titan brings up is that the punishment that has gone on in the last few weeks is exactly as Titan described it above: dumb, selfish and idiotic. In a season where players are going to play 30 games (give or take) in less than 3 months, to make a kid do extra fitness as punishment for honoring a commitment she made months before joining her hs team is absolutely ridiculous. To tell kids they are suspended for a full game, then go back on your word because you are losing at halftime is completely self-centered and sends a horrible message to the rest of the team. To play a game on Friday, then Monday, then Wednesday, then have your players run for punishment after losing at another school's field, then play on Thursday shows that you have anything but the players' best interests at heart.

I would like to state for the record that I know of some coaches in the high school ranks that have handled all of this with the players' best interest in mind. I have no problem with the coach setting rules and sticking by them. But the rules have to make sense.

Page 21 of 23 1 2 19 20 21 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard