Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 23 1 2 20 21 22 23
C
throw in
throw in
C
No disrespect titan and harry, we relocated from Colorado to SC and the financial's you shared, we've lived. My 11th grade daughter has done it all: club, odp, high school, D1 offers. My 8th grade daughter has started down that road and is a BETTER player than her sister and will be running cross country in the fall, rather than playing club soccer. She plans to play soccer for her high school in the spring.

Last edited by catsdad; 03/24/11 01:26 AM.
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Ok, best of luck to her. I think the point of my last post would be two-fold. 1) IF she decided she wanted to be the best soccer player should could possibly be, then playing in games that are 11-0 may not be the best thing for her. 2) If she chooses to run in the Boston Marathon and happens to miss a school cross-country meet, I would think it would be ridiculous for her school coach to punish her for it.

C
throw in
throw in
C
The point is harry, she has a better chance of getting a D1 scholarship for running a sub 20 5k, which most top club soccer players can run, than a D1 soccer scholarship, for maybe 2k in costs of good running shoes, rather than 20k over the next 4 years in club soccer fees. Without all the club headaches and drama.

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
is there any way to block a thread?

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
So Harry, what you said was if a soccer player wants to be the best soccer player they can be, it may not be playing in 11-0 HS games. But in one of your previous posts you said your daughter plays high school soccer. Do you not want her to be one of the best soccer players she can be? Why is your daughter wasting her time playing in 11-0 HS soccer games?

world cup
world cup
Quote:

The point is harry, she has a better chance of getting a D1 scholarship for running a sub 20 5k, which most top club soccer players can run, than a D1 soccer scholarship, for maybe 2k in costs of good running shoes, rather than 20k over the next 4 years in club soccer fees. Without all the club headaches and drama.

19 and change in the 5K gets you a D1 scholarship? Way too easy. I think we should all "challenge" our daughters to do it the hard way......through soccer!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

Right. And I have no problem with that at all. The only problem is, what if the goal is not to get a scholarship? What if getting a scholarship is something that happens on the way to acheiving your goal? What if playing the sport you love, as much as you can play it, at the highest level you can play it, in the best environment you can find is the goal? If that were the case, then the 'easiest' way to get a D1 scholarship may be irrelevant.

If your daughter loves to run, great. I say let her run as much as she can wherever and whenever she wants. If she gets a scholarship, even better. If my kid wants to play soccer, I'll support her playing as much as she can against the best teams we can put in front of her.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

So Harry, what you said was if a soccer player wants to be the best soccer player they can be, it may not be playing in 11-0 HS games. But in one of your previous posts you said your daughter plays high school soccer. Do you not want her to be one of the best soccer players she can be? Why is your daughter wasting her time playing in 11-0 HS soccer games?

I think that what a parent wants is secondary to what a player wants when it comes to the child playing a sport. Parents can mandate attitudes towards sportsmanship. They can enforce guidelins regarding behavior and grades etc. If all of those are satisfied, and the kid says 'I want to play club and high school' then the rest of us shouldn't get in the way and should be supportive. I think it's clear what my opinion is as to what a player's best use of time is. But never have I said that I would or should forbid the choice.

So, yes. I would want her to be the best she could be. And, she is wasting her time when she wins a game 11-0 because I won't forbid it. I would hope that she will listen to reason and figure it out, but those things seem to take time.

C
throw in
throw in
C
Love you Hurst! Like to see you run a sub 30 5k! Harry, I'm with you dude. However, there are some, (many), on the club side who are driven by dollars and not my daughters best interest. That's what I resent. I know what the high school coach makes and I work in the concession stand every 3 weeks and buy my daughter's unsold candy bars.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

Quote:

19 and change in the 5K gets you a D1 scholarship? Way too easy. I think we should all "challenge" our daughters to do it the hard way......through soccer!

There is a man who used to be a friend of mine. I don't talk to him much anymore, but he is a great fisherman. What if his daughter went fishing with him and decided she loved it? What if he spent 30k on a bigger better boat? What if every weekend they got up early in the morning to drive a few hours to the best lake? What if they bought bait every weekend and new rods every couple months? What if a few times per year, they went on 3-4 day fishing trips and stayed in hotels because it was just better fishing in Minnesota or somewhere like that?

Would we tell that man that he has wasted his money because she didn't get a fishing scholarship? Would we tell her she should take up rowing because you can get a rowing scholarship much easier? Would we criticize that man for supporting the activity that his daughter loved to the best of his ability? I guess some of us would wouldn't we?

Page 22 of 23 1 2 20 21 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard