Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just wanted to say that Ben lippen although their record in the tournament was not what it should of been they played well. their first game agaisnt Dorman was ok the first half was a toss up and then they dominated the second half but could not but the ball away losing 2-0 on crap goals. their second game against dreher was an ok game losing 1-0 the first half they dominated the game and their defense was excellent with good saves as well as punts from their keeper with one punt going from 18 to 18 but the second half they could not control the game because the wind was awful and could not get their offense going. their third game they didnt even wanna play and just wanted to go home and still beat a solid AC Flora team. Great job Falcons for a good showing at your first public school tourney my hat goes off to you.

World Cup
World Cup
For what it's worth, the Lake Murray Challenge was not Ben Lippen's "first public school tourney". The Falcons won the "Consolation Championship" at the 1996 Palmetto Cup with a 2-1 record as Sumi Hashimoto and Dunstan Mashiku were selected to the All-Tournament Team.

1996 Scores -- Dutch Fork 3-0 Ben Lippen ... Ben Lippen 6-0 Batesburg-Leesville ... Ben Lippen 2-1 (pk) Northwestern.

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Sumi Hashimoto was one nasty goalie. It is crazy watching a 6-3 Japanese guy fly around. That team was one of the best teams in BL has when we played in SCHSL 2A/1A. 95 was probably the best.

No offense to the current guys but I would love to see BL play in 3A instead of SCISA.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
While the Northwestern player did recieve a yellow card, does anyone remember what happened after they got Alex off the field? Northwestern was given a corner kick. So obviously there was no foul on the play. The Northwestern player does play for the u18 GFC Black team that has won state for 7 or 8 years now. He was playing hard and it is unfortunate that the injury happened. But then again, if you are going to attempt to run the ball out like that, you should expect a challenge. Thats just the way I saw it.

Other than this one play that fans have a different view on, it was a great match to watch especially considering both teams had played 3 other hard fought matches in less than 24 hours. it would be great to see these two teams play again in the State Championship. Congrats to both teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did anyone else miss the ref give the irmo player who was on the ground screaming a yellow card?? Northwestern did not have a very strong showing, Irmo dominated 90% of the play and both of Northwesten's goals came off of pk's. I don't see them getting through S. Aiken in Upperstate. They do have a very quick forward though.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lexsoccer,i did see the Irmo player get a yellow card. Again from where i was sitting i beleive it was because he retaliated (kicked at the Northwestern player) after the Northwestern player tackled him. As for Irmo dominating the play, im not so sure. I beleive they had 18 shots to Northwestern's 16 and 3 corner kicks to Northwestern's 4, this of course means nothing compared to the only stat that matters....the score. I do beleive that Northwestern would not have scored from the attacking situations that caused the PK's, however this may highlight one of Irmos few weaknesees (players running at their backs with pace and being direct), i did notice that the Northwestern coach switched the 'fast forward’ as you mentioned from striker to winger for the final. He seemed to have alot of success down the right side in the early portion of the game. I agree Irmo and south aiken are the teams to beat this year, but thats the beauty of the game, you never really know.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What are all of your thoughts on an All-Tournament Team? I know that this tournament was a very big success in providing great soccer from start to finish, and I just would like to know whom you felt is worthy of such recognition. Also, congratulations to Irmo for winning this tournament, and I wish to commend all participants for a great weekend.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
who were the players on the all-tournament team?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This NW player has played on how many GFC state championship teams??? Not 7 or 8, this kid has been on the team for at best 2 yrs. I believe this is the same kid that dropped the f bomb to our parents last year in front of the ref and got NO CARD or warning. The reffing in this tournament absolutly STUNK. Irmo get away with murder and when the other team decides to play the "Irmo Style" everyone starts to yell and cry. When you are an "outside of the midlands" team, your screwed. Please don't tell me everyone plays that was becasue they don't.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You do get pretty much screwed in treatment from the reffs when you head to the columbia area. The Palmetto cup does a great job but a big reason why we at West Florence started our own tournament b/c the treatment we usually get at the ridgeview preseason tournaments was horrible. Last year our star player (Joel Kozak, now at Wofford) got kicked out of the first game in the tourny and was apologized to the next day for a day judgement and one of the linesman was calling Ridgeview players by name and making jokes with them. I'm not usually one to complain about reffs when they dont make a huge impact on the game but that kind of treatment is what you usually get around the midlands.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard