Ben Lippen v Dreher 8:00
DF v Dorman 10:00

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Irmo lost to Walton in a shootout at 8:00.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
will there be any more games played today??? and if so who and what time...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
8:00 game
Dreher 1 - 0 Ben Lippen

Wayne Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
SATURDAY RESULTS

at Chapin
Northwestern 1 Bishop England 0
Mauldin 3 Chapin 2

at Dutch Fork
DF 3 Dorman 2 (PK)
Dreher 1 Ben Lippen 0

at Irmo
Walton 3 Irmo 2 (PK)
Hanna 2 Flora 0

at Crooked Creek
Championship Group
Irmo 2 DF 1
Northwestern 3 Dorman 1

Consolation Group
Hanna 4 Chapin 1
Ben Lippen 3 Flora 2
BE 1 Walton 1
Dreher 1 Mauldin 1

FINALS IRMO 4 NORTHWESTERN 2
Irmo broke open a close game (1-1 at half).
MVP Zach Prince

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why wasn't Walton in the Semis instead of Irmo?

Wayne Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
The Walton coach informed tournament officials at 2 pm that they would not play in finals. Therefore, they were bumped out of the championship round and replaced by the team with the next highest point total, a worthy Irmo team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Irmo took it to a very good Northwestern team. Definately the team to beat in 4A.

J
Brace
Brace
J
I guess that it is a state rule in Georgia that you are not allowed to play more than two games per day. Since Walton would have had to play two games before the championship, they would not have been able to play in the championship itself. All of the coaches to all of the teams in the tournament got together to figure out what they should do. This is how Irmo was allowed to contiue on. Not that letting Irmo go on was a bad choice. They proved that they were only second to Walton this year. I just want to say good job to TL Hannah who are going to be pretty darned good this year. I heard that it was only fatigue that really kept them from pushing Irmo in the the first game. A little more conditioning, and they are going to be a force. Good luck to everyone for the rest of the year!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the mvp was zach prince how many goals did he have?

C
Coach Emeritus
Coach Emeritus
C
To Coach Hiller, Coach Quinlan and Coach Savitz congratulations on your efforts on the tournament. It was well run and I feel that everyone had a positive experience from it. Again thank you for inviting us.

Coach D. Smith
T. L. Hanna

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The final was a captivating game considering both teams had played some intense soccer within 24 hours. Irmo showed their class by producing a 5 minute spell of brilliant individual performances that won the game for them. Northwestern surprised a lot of people with there desire, intensity, team spirit and high standard of play. This may or may not be the same teams again in the 4a state final, but for both teams to produce such a good game so early in the season bodes well for South Carolina soccer

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't believe there was a high standard of play from Northwestern when one of their players recklessly fouled one of Irmo's super sophs and badly broke his ankle. (Out for the season) He only got a yellow card. Very high standard of play?? Thats a problem with high school that you dont see in high level club ball.
There are many high school guys who have no skill so they try to injure intentionally. In club ball, with more skill and ability, the players know how to avoid serious/dangerous play. I can see why some high level club coaches are against their players playing high school ball.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I remember the incident you are talking about 4soccer. In my opinion, the Irmo defender was shielding the Northwestern player from the ball, NOT shielding the ball from the player. The Northwestern player attempted to slide for the ball from the side and fouled the Irmo player. The referee, standing probably about 5 feet from the incident deemed it to be a yellow card. From where I was sitting it appeared an innocuous challenge. It is unfortunate that the player in question got a bad injury.

The player you suggest intentionally tried to injure one of Irmo's players, plays for a good club team at a high level (the top gfc U-18 team, I believe). So I don’t think it was his lack of skill that caused the situation. It is, of course, your opinion that there was not a high standard of play form Northwestern and of course mine that Northwestern’s play contributed to a very good game in which Irmo's better individual players won the game for them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
4soccer my dear dear friend........ ARE YOU FOR REAL?

SERIOUSLY are you kidding me. So there are no injuries at the highest level? You cannot sit there and tell me that this injury(which I feel bad for the kid) would not have happened in a club game! That is the most absurd, most idiotic,and most random idea I have ever heard! There is no way you can convince me that this injury only happens in HS soccer. Kids are kids and during the "flow" of the game many things can happen. Regardless of club/HS season.

Please explain how you came up with that logic?

Shearer

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shearer,
My dear, but poor and misguided soccer friend:
From where I saw the injury it was clearly flagrant, but of course if in the discretion of the ref.... And Shearer, my bosumless buddy, I never said never in club ball are their bad injuries. I just saw this from my angle and I felt it was bad...thats all. Even though jimmie with 5 bellies has informed me that the NW player plays for a great club team, I do still stand by my point that there are many more guys in high school soccer who are more prone to commit the flagrant fouls because of a lack of skill and ability, in comparison to club ball.
I am sure this reply will not satisfy you Shearer.
But don't be too hard on your dear soccer buddy!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jimmy,

That was a textbook example of how you reply to a post. Polite, informative, stating your opinion, and ultimately respectful to other's opinion. I look forward to more post like these.

MS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your words were:

Very high standard of play?? Thats a problem with high school that you dont see in high level club ball.

Don't see what? Injuries flagrant fouls? Do you watch a lot of high level soccer? Do you go out to Club games and watch? Have you been to the Sun Bowl, Jefferson Cup ETC? I am guessing not? Do you coach or have a child playing high level club or do they play just HS soccer?
Just wondering? Where are you getting your facts( or lack there of) from?

MR./Mrs Spurrier ,
I hope you have a pleasant day and enjoy the great services of this informative website! I hope the sun shines warmly on your face and may the road rise to meet you. ........ Golly Geez hope that was polite enough !
Yours truly,
Shearer

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shearer my former dear friend,
I must admit that I see lots of soccer at all levels. Its just my opinion, dear sir. We all have opinions. I don't mean to propose that my opinions are perfect or even correct all the time. But I am so glad for you that your opinions and thoughts are the correct ones.
And why did you not wish that the sun should shine warmly on my face or that the road rise up to meet me??? I am a bit disheartened and believe I will now go and commit a flagrant foul on someone in my office..........

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
4soccer,

You must work for a mid-level company because as we all know that sort of thing does not happen at a fortune 500 company!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just wanted to say that Ben lippen although their record in the tournament was not what it should of been they played well. their first game agaisnt Dorman was ok the first half was a toss up and then they dominated the second half but could not but the ball away losing 2-0 on crap goals. their second game against dreher was an ok game losing 1-0 the first half they dominated the game and their defense was excellent with good saves as well as punts from their keeper with one punt going from 18 to 18 but the second half they could not control the game because the wind was awful and could not get their offense going. their third game they didnt even wanna play and just wanted to go home and still beat a solid AC Flora team. Great job Falcons for a good showing at your first public school tourney my hat goes off to you.

World Cup
World Cup
For what it's worth, the Lake Murray Challenge was not Ben Lippen's "first public school tourney". The Falcons won the "Consolation Championship" at the 1996 Palmetto Cup with a 2-1 record as Sumi Hashimoto and Dunstan Mashiku were selected to the All-Tournament Team.

1996 Scores -- Dutch Fork 3-0 Ben Lippen ... Ben Lippen 6-0 Batesburg-Leesville ... Ben Lippen 2-1 (pk) Northwestern.

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Sumi Hashimoto was one nasty goalie. It is crazy watching a 6-3 Japanese guy fly around. That team was one of the best teams in BL has when we played in SCHSL 2A/1A. 95 was probably the best.

No offense to the current guys but I would love to see BL play in 3A instead of SCISA.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
While the Northwestern player did recieve a yellow card, does anyone remember what happened after they got Alex off the field? Northwestern was given a corner kick. So obviously there was no foul on the play. The Northwestern player does play for the u18 GFC Black team that has won state for 7 or 8 years now. He was playing hard and it is unfortunate that the injury happened. But then again, if you are going to attempt to run the ball out like that, you should expect a challenge. Thats just the way I saw it.

Other than this one play that fans have a different view on, it was a great match to watch especially considering both teams had played 3 other hard fought matches in less than 24 hours. it would be great to see these two teams play again in the State Championship. Congrats to both teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did anyone else miss the ref give the irmo player who was on the ground screaming a yellow card?? Northwestern did not have a very strong showing, Irmo dominated 90% of the play and both of Northwesten's goals came off of pk's. I don't see them getting through S. Aiken in Upperstate. They do have a very quick forward though.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lexsoccer,i did see the Irmo player get a yellow card. Again from where i was sitting i beleive it was because he retaliated (kicked at the Northwestern player) after the Northwestern player tackled him. As for Irmo dominating the play, im not so sure. I beleive they had 18 shots to Northwestern's 16 and 3 corner kicks to Northwestern's 4, this of course means nothing compared to the only stat that matters....the score. I do beleive that Northwestern would not have scored from the attacking situations that caused the PK's, however this may highlight one of Irmos few weaknesees (players running at their backs with pace and being direct), i did notice that the Northwestern coach switched the 'fast forward’ as you mentioned from striker to winger for the final. He seemed to have alot of success down the right side in the early portion of the game. I agree Irmo and south aiken are the teams to beat this year, but thats the beauty of the game, you never really know.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What are all of your thoughts on an All-Tournament Team? I know that this tournament was a very big success in providing great soccer from start to finish, and I just would like to know whom you felt is worthy of such recognition. Also, congratulations to Irmo for winning this tournament, and I wish to commend all participants for a great weekend.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
who were the players on the all-tournament team?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This NW player has played on how many GFC state championship teams??? Not 7 or 8, this kid has been on the team for at best 2 yrs. I believe this is the same kid that dropped the f bomb to our parents last year in front of the ref and got NO CARD or warning. The reffing in this tournament absolutly STUNK. Irmo get away with murder and when the other team decides to play the "Irmo Style" everyone starts to yell and cry. When you are an "outside of the midlands" team, your screwed. Please don't tell me everyone plays that was becasue they don't.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You do get pretty much screwed in treatment from the reffs when you head to the columbia area. The Palmetto cup does a great job but a big reason why we at West Florence started our own tournament b/c the treatment we usually get at the ridgeview preseason tournaments was horrible. Last year our star player (Joel Kozak, now at Wofford) got kicked out of the first game in the tourny and was apologized to the next day for a day judgement and one of the linesman was calling Ridgeview players by name and making jokes with them. I'm not usually one to complain about reffs when they dont make a huge impact on the game but that kind of treatment is what you usually get around the midlands.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Old Jacket you are from Aiken right?

J
Brace
Brace
J
Old Jacket, now come on. Irmo does not typically play a dirty style of play, if that were the case Phil Savitz would pull anyone out that actually played dirty. He just doesn't tolerate it. Irmo does play a "controlled aggression" type of game. They do challenge for the ball hard, and they really do attack players. They don't intentionally try to hurt people. The kid from Northwestern, by the sounds of it, was a complete schmuck. he was darned lucky to not get a red card when it was probably appropriate to get it. Any tackle that comes from an angle of greater than 90 degrees from the side, when the legs are attacked, is grounds for a red card. Especially if the defense is sheilding the player fromt he ball legally. Oh well, you may complain all you want about Irmo, but let me tell you, they will be there at the end of the season once again vying for the state championship. Deal with it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So you are saying the guy from Northwestern was intentionally trying to hurt the guy from Irmo? Do you know this kid personally?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccerboy, having witnessed the challenge on the Irmo player by the "schmuck" as you put it; I feel I have to disagree with you. Firstly the Irmo player was shielding the man not the ball, he was obstructing the player from getting to the ball therefore for the Northwestern player to get the ball he would have to slide around the Irmo player with such force that it would take him to the ball (because he was being shielded so far away from the ball by the Irmo player). Secondly When the Irmo player kicked out at the Northwestern player, I believe by the laws of the game he should have been sent off. I don’t know if he connected with the Northwestern player, but if you remember the Manchester United Vs Arsenal game at Old Trafford when Patrick Viera got sent of for 'intent' to kick Rudd Van Nistelrooy. This is of course down to the referee’s discretion and thankfully common sense prevailed and neither was sent off. It appears to me from your post ("he was darned lucky to not get a red card when it was probably appropriate to get it") that you want one law for the Irmo players and one law for everybody else. Astonishing as it may seem, no team has the right to have decisions go there way because of who they are. As for your point about Irmo playing a "controlled aggression" type of game. They do challenge for the ball hard, and they really do attack players. They don't intentionally try to hurt people". I agree with you. Coach Savitz has a fantastic team and they played with a lot of panache and class on that night in the final, exactly the same class and panache that Northwestern did. I don’t know if I can 'deal' with the fact that Irmo will be vying for the state championship as I have already stated elsewhere they are the team to beat this year (along with South Aiken), I think in response to your plea for people to not ‘complain’ then maybe you should refrain from calling opposition players ‘schmucks’.

J
Brace
Brace
J
I won't argue that the Irmo player should not have taken a swipe at the Northwestern player. But as for sheilding the man and not the ball, the rules are written such that the player only has to be within "playing distance" of the ball, or as in all of my referee classes have stated about a yard. You can play the man as long as you are within about a yard of the ball. Not that I am going to argue on this point, this is the way I call games when I ref. I also give cards when it comes to hard challenges from behind, and have been known to show a red for that too. Sorry if I have offended anyone with the "schmuck" remard. Let me replace it with the phrase, "not a well thought out idea". Is this more friendly?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good because this kid is not a schmuck as you say. He's a pretty good guy.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have to say that i was not impressed with um northwesterns team irmo should have killed them. Also i think that Ben Lippen was at first predicted to get killed by Dorman when we really should have won that game as well as Dreher who we outmatched.

Brace
Brace
How did TL Hanna look? How about Dreher and Ben Lippen? I know that Hanna is supposed to have a pretty good team this year and so should Dreher. Does BL have the "foreign exchange" influence again this season? How about AC Flora? Who stood out besides the "Irmo's" and "Northwestern's"? [Confused]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Trojan11- Sorry for not getting back with you, yes I from Aiken. First I'd like to clarify something. I didn't mean to sayor imply that Irmo played dirty, they play as someone said "aggressive something". To me that mean we play hard but under control. Well, to some that watch those types of games, it looks dirty. I saw a Hanna player get taken down in the box on a breakaway and was awarded a PK. No complaining from Irmo. My question : where was the red card. He was clearly the last player and was taken down from behind. It was in the first 15 mins. of the game. They went into overtime for gosh sakes. What would Irmo have done with 10 players for the other 65 or so mins? Getting away with shirt grabbing and all, I just hate watching stuff like that and when the other team decides they have to play like that to stay competitive, the refs start blowing the whistle.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh ok, i just rememember seeing you talking about the playoffs after yall played us at home.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ben Lippen did not have a foreign exchange feel as much as in pass years. They started 2 Koreans and a third had extencsive playing time. As others have stated BL did fairly well in the tourney. The ball just wouldn't go in the net against dorman. They lost to Dreher in a one goal game, and concluded with a win against AC Flora.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
JimmieFiveBellies - I also saw the challenge in the Irmo/NW match from a very good angle and I would agree with both sides of the agruement. The Irmo player was playing more the man then the ball, however, the NW player played the man just as much as the Irmo player. The point is this; obstruction or not the intention to attack another player in that manor is unecessary at any level. And simply because the Northwestern player plays for a high level club does not make him a high level player. High level players are not measured through athletic ability, and skill alone, they are also measured on mental strength. That was an example of a major lack of mental strength.

J
Brace
Brace
J
Well put jiggs!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard