Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 23 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
L
Goal
Goal
L
it doesn't appear you've look at college cost recently. clemson/usc (in-state)cost $20k+ per year.

kick off
kick off
Quote:

it doesn't appear you've look at college cost recently. clemson/usc (in-state)cost $20k+ per year.

If you think that $20K a year is available for soccer scholarships....better think again.
If you’re concerned about money, best to have your student spend a few extra hours a day studying.
Scholastic scholarships are a lot more plentiful.

Don't Feed the Trolls!
L
Goal
Goal
L
troll,

where in my post did i mention anything about soccer scholarships? i was responding to soccerboys post re- elite soccer cost and how it cost more than college.

kick off
kick off
Quote:

troll,

where in my post did i mention anything about soccer scholarships? i was responding to soccerboys post re- elite soccer cost and how it cost more than college.

I believe Soccerboy was making the point that “if you are looking for a college education out of it (ergo scholarship), it is not worth the money layed out to get them to that level”
You mentioned that it cost $20K+ per year to attend college. The only logical assumption from this is, “it might be worth spending thousands of dollars to an elite soccer club on the chance that your son/daughter will get a scholarship”.
My bad. This is what happens when I assume people are somewhat logical in their thinking process.
However, I do thank you for enlightening us with your vast knowledge of tuition costs at in-state schools.

Don't Feed the Trolls!
L
Goal
Goal
L
you're welcome

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
I wouldn't trade the time I've been able to spend with my daughter thanks to the traveling for soccer for anything. It's been worth every penny getting that time with her, regardless of any scholarship opportunity.

I
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
I
Quote:

I wouldn't trade the time I've been able to spend with my daughter thanks to the traveling for soccer for anything. It's been worth every penny getting that time with her, regardless of any scholarship opportunity.

My exact sentiment.

"Duh,WINNING."
J
Brace
Brace
J
I'm not talking about having just one kid. I have three kids, and I am not going to spend that much time with one child, and leave my other two out. They deserve the same time spent with each, not just a monopoly of one child. Trust me, this causes issues with your children, my wife sees that problem in school every day. To me it is not worth it to have one sport/one activity dominate my/my childs schedule so completely. Soccer is fun, don't get me wrong, but it is still a game. I am sure that if you have one child, it is worth it then to spend that much time with them.

As for the college thing...how many full ride scholorships do you think there actually are per school. Not as many as you would think. If you took that money that you spent for a high level club team and invested it every year, you would have a lot more money than you think you would. It usually costs 5K-10K to travel, pay for the club, vacation time away from your job, other fees, top level equipment, etc.... a year. If your child plays for 10 years, that is at least 50K-100K not including compounding interest or other investment opportunities. (if you do the math, even on the lower end, you can just about pay for college without the scholarship....and God forbid if your child actually studied and got good grades, they actually do get scholarship money for beign smart and providing something productive to society...rather than the typical all about me generation) I always think it is funny how many people think that their child is the next best thing. I can for a fact tell you that most people's children are not that. You can tell the players that are special out there, especially when I am refereeing an academy game....there are only a handful of players on each team that reach this pinnical. I beleive that there are only 8 Full ride scholarships per Division 1 NCAA soccer team. How many schools are there per state, and do you really think your child is going to fall into this category? Just don't go into soccer thinking that your son/daughter is going to get a full ride scholarship to attend college, your money would be better spent elsewhere.

Last edited by Soccerboy; 03/17/11 01:48 AM.
A
kick off
kick off
A
I want to know how you have a daughter at Northwestern when she is supposed to be at Rock Hill High???? Just curious.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

I have three kids, and I am not going to spend that much time with one child, and leave my other two out.

It usually costs 5K-10K to travel, pay for the club, vacation time away from your job, other fees, top level equipment, etc.... a year.

So, did you just say in one sentence that you would never have a child play at the level we're talking about; and then tell us how much it costs to do so? Where did you get these figures? I'm almost done with a year of Premier League and ECNL including club fees and travel. Maybe I need to check my math, but I'm not close to 5K.

Page 19 of 23 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard