Print Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Should the SCHSL step in and eliminate participation in other sports venues such as club soccer games while the HS player is participating in their HS sport season. There's rules like this in other states, why not South Carolina? It doesn't seem to be a problem in other High School sports, but is a problem with the sport of soccer.

bench
bench
Heck no dawg! I say let dem fools play as much as possble, get cracked up & whacked out! Wat prob u got wit dem fools playin dis game bra? Git real or die tryin MoFo! Peace!

Yes, that's a duck on my face fool!
C
Coach
Coach
C
I think making such a rule would just cause more conflicts that could otherwise be worked out between players, coaches and teams. Very few individual situations can be best resolved by blind blanket rules...there are enough of those monkeying up the works as it is, IMHO.

I've got good news and bad news...
D
Goal
Goal
D
agree... no.

hat-trick
hat-trick
The SCHSL used to have such a rule. A legislator from the Upstate area introduced a bill that was passed and struck down the rule. This rule was in effect when my daughter played at the U14 level and her club team chose to play club instead of JV because this rule would not allow them to do both.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

I think making such a rule would just cause more conflicts that could otherwise be worked out between players, coaches and teams. Very few individual situations can be best resolved by blind blanket rules...there are enough of those monkeying up the works as it is, IMHO.

Right on!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Goal
Goal
So, we don't like something and it should be banned. Sheesh

There are no U15 and up Spring seasons. Don't see what the big deal is

L
Goal
Goal
L
omg- have you gone crazy! wanting SCHSL to tell us where, when, how much a student can play during HS season!
wow, the cesa/ecnl/going to seattle/not playing in college/high cost of playing club ball/missing viking cup to play in encl stuff has gotten to you.
time for therapy

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Should the SCHSL step in and eliminate participation in other sports venues such as club soccer games while the HS player is participating in their HS sport season. There's rules like this in other states, why not South Carolina? It doesn't seem to be a problem in other High School sports, but is a problem with the sport of soccer.

No.

The SCHSL blows enough decisions as it is. The less they do, the better.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

The SCHSL used to have such a rule. A legislator from the Upstate area introduced a bill that was passed and struck down the rule. This rule was in effect when my daughter played at the U14 level and her club team chose to play club instead of JV because this rule would not allow them to do both.

Agree.

In 2000, my daughter could not play JV as an 8th grader because she played U-14 club soccer. Do we want to return to those days? I would think not.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I don't get the big deal...So players chose to play in a high profile tourney instead of a preseason high school tournament..The players,parents and I'm sure coaches knew of this before teams were selected..The season is more important than a tourney..Would you rather win a state championship with these players or lose the viking cup without them?
If it's such a big deal..maybe the tourney needs to rotate teams in and out more often since teams are not at their best in March..

Brace
Brace
SCHSL had such a rule at one time. Then a state representative from Greenville drafted a bill that was passed by the SC State Legislature making Dual Participation legal so long as it does not interfere with scheduled week-day activities of the school team.

The Weather Is Here. Wish You Were Beautiful.
G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Here's the Ohio High School rule on participation from their handbook. There's many more states but the reason I picked Ohio is because year in and year out they produce many high level youth soccer players. It doesn't seem to be a problem with them saying when it's High school season you need to be committed to your school. And yes Ohio has ECNL teams, two ODP programs(North and South).

"4) Non-Interscholastic Participation
4.1) A member of an interscholastic soccer squad (any student who has played in a scrimmage,
preview or regular season/tournament game as a substitute or starter) sponsored
by the Board of Education shall not participate in a non-interscholastic program
(tryouts, practice or contest) as an individual or a member of a team in the sport
of soccer during the school’s season (Sports Regulation 4.3).
4.2) A member of an interscholastic soccer squad (any student who has played in a scrimmage,
preview or regular season/tournament game as a substitute or starter) sponsored
by the Board of Education may participate in non-interscholastic soccer prior to
and after the school season under the following conditions:
4.21) The number of interscholastic soccer players from the same school on a noninterscholastic
squad is limited to five on the roster of that non-interscholastic
squad. A roster is defined as all the members of the entire squad on that noninterscholastic
squad.
Note: Graduating seniors who are participating on a non-interscholastic soccer
squad after their final interscholastic contest of the season in the sport of
soccer are exempt from this limitation.
4.22) There is no limit on the number of soccer squad members from the same
school participating on the same squad during the period June 1-July 31.
4.23) A player may continue to play with a non-interscholastic squad in a national
qualifying tournament in excess of the five player limitation after July 31
until the squad is eliminated but no later than Labor Day.
4.24) Non-interscholastic participation includes tryouts, training, practice and competition

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
didn't viking cup start on a thursday?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Soccer season starts today..correct?
VC is a preseason event..correct?

S
goal kick
goal kick
S

If this rule exists, then when players leave on a Thursday to travel to a Club event, they miss their High School teams regularly scheduled practice, as well as a couple of days of school. In the case of this past weekend, that would involve Thursday practice and Friday travel to Viking Cup and associated events on Friday.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Rule from Florida High School Athletic Association:
another Powerhouse State in producing high end youth soccer players.

7. Must not participate on a non-school team (i.e., AAU, American Legion, club setting, etc.) which is affiliated with a school or coached by a representative of a school other than the one the student attends, or has attended, and then attend that school, otherwise the student will be ineligible there for one year.

brace
brace
That rule in FL, to my understanding, is to prevent "clubs" from forming school based teams to get around practice/play limits. The key in that one is the "affiliated" term. It would not prevent players from playing on an ECNL team that has nothing to do with school.
Just cause everyone in Green-Spart-villburg who plays school soccer is on a CESA team does not mean CESA is part of the school system, yet....

Of course when they start the CESA magnet school things might require a rule like that

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Of course when they start the CESA magnet school things might require a rule like that

When's that start? Need to buy property now in Greenville now then...tired of teaching for THE MAN!

I
throw in
throw in
I
Quote:

Rule from Florida High School Athletic Association:
another Powerhouse State in producing high end youth soccer players.

7. Must not participate on a non-school team (i.e., AAU, American Legion, club setting, etc.) which is affiliated with a school or coached by a representative of a school other than the one the student attends, or has attended, and then attend that school, otherwise the student will be ineligible there for one year.

Wrong interpretation. All the girls from Florida played in ECNL this fall during HS season.

"Duh,WINNING."
B
brace
brace
B
As a parent, you don't need a league or governing body to say enough is enough, and make reasonable decisions that don't over-tax your child. All you need is common sense and communication between and among all parties involved.
It ain't rocket science.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Making players choose which one they will play in would not benefit high school ball..While I think most club players enjoy representing their H.S.team and the time off from club play..I think most would choose club ball thinking it would get them farther..

corner kick
corner kick
You would definitely weaken the smaller high school teams and leagues if you make kids choose between one or the other. It would be a much harder decision for a kid who plays at a competitive school like Wando or Mauldin who knows she'll get more similar levels of play plus the fun of HS ball versus a good player at a smaller school who would obviously benefit more, skill-wise, with continued club play.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
B
brace
brace
B
In the end, there are only three reasons to choose:
1) Hard and fast association rules (which you should know about BEFORE choosing to participate;
2) A hard-nosed coach/trainer who insists on one over the other;
3) A parent or kid concerned with overload.

Where coaches, trainers, parents and kids are honest with each other and TRULY have the kid's best intertests at heart, this is not a problem.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Why not scheduling it on a weekend that does not conflict with ECNL? I am sure the Viking Cup committee would want the best players in the state attending this elite HS soccer tournament.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
And how many high schools have one or two high end players?
More than you think..

B
brace
brace
B
Your point being?

brace
brace
So you are saying, that by rule, that no girl who plays ECNL in FL in the fall is allowed to play HS soccer? Are there any ECNL teams in FL? I did not think so, I guess this might be why. Do any FL players cross State line to play ECNL somewhere else and does that keep them out of FL HS ball?

Need more context to the rule you have posted, because a simple reading would also mean that a players could never, spring or fall, play for any team affiliated with a school or school coach? The wording as you have it posted is also talking about Basketball, and Baseball which have very strong off season programs in FL as well.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
I stand corrected,called Florida, got an interpretation.. Your correct they can play on outside teams. said it's strongly discouraged,although it's a coaches decision.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Schools with one or two club players on the roster would defintely weaken their programs while Riverside,Mauldin,Mann and Wando did not win the VK cup..Their scores did not dictate weak teams..
And when I say club players..I mean ones that play at the highest level..

Goal
Goal
We don't need another rule telling people what they can and cannot do. I understand that they may want to protect the school & player, but I say it should but up to the parents & players on how much they play. Whether they choose School, Club, or Both is up to them. I am the coach of a young team and we had the choice of playing for the club in the spring or for the school. I sat down with the parents and we had a discussion on the pros & cons of each possible decision. We came to the conclusion that the players should try-out for the school team. Just to have a different experience from the club environment. Parents & Players do not need another governing body making decisions for them.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
California High School League Rule for outside competition.The State is split into two regions so the SoCal soccer players cannot play club during their interscholastic season which is played in the winter in SoCal. Now that state produces some very good soccer players don't they?

ARTICLE 60
OUTSIDE COMPETITION
600. COMPETITION ON AN OUTSIDE TEAM
A student on a high school team becomes ineligible if the student competes in a contest on an “outside” team, in the same sport, during the
student’s high school season of sports (See Bylaw 511). The following exceptions apply:
A. If the outside team has half or more of the team members as stated in the National Federation rules book for that sport, it shall be
considered the same sport. Examples: three on three basketball---outside team competition prohibited; two on two volleyball---
outside team competition permitted.
C. SOCCER
In the sport of soccer, Bylaw 600 shall be in effect only during the winter high school soccer season. High school soccer
programs that compete during the fall or spring season are not subject to Bylaw 600.
NOTE: For purposes of this section, indoor soccer and futsal are not considered the same sport.
(Approved October 2008 Federated Council)

O
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
O
The SCHSL doesn't care about clubs playing during the high school season. This was addressed in the early 2000s when dual-participation was first proposed. There is no way the HSL is going to put itself in a litigated state of affairs over "soccer". Therefore, have the clubs and high schools deal with the issue (it's not rocket science). Both have their place for the youth soccer player (most of which will enjoy their glory days on those fields because only a select few can make it to the NCAA Division 1 ranks and beyond). Don't trifle me with D2, D3 or NAIA levels of play because any "player" that can walk and chew gum can pursue those endeavors!

C
Coach
Coach
C
Old Gal,

I defended you in the grammar department, but that last sentence in your previous post may have been the most asinine comment I have seen on this board in 2011, and that is taking the prize among steep competition.

hat-trick
hat-trick
I agree Chass. I know quite a few good players who play at those levels and have played and trained hard since childhood in club and high school soccer to get where they are today. Walking and chewing gum did not get them there.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Tennessee High School rule on participation during High School sports season

Independent-Game Participation
Section 21. Once a student's name is listed on the school eligibility report, if a student participates in an
independent game in that sport before the season has closed or his/her name has been removed from the
eligibility report at the request of the school principal, the student shall be ineligible as explained below.
Any organized game in which players not registered with TSSAA participate – regardless of whether admission is
charged - is considered as an independent game. Violation of this rule will render the student ineligible for 25% of
the number of contests allowed in that sport by the sports calendar or for the remainder of the season in that
sport, whichever number is the least. Violation of this rule a second time in the same sport in the same season will
render the student ineligible in that sport for the remainder of the season.
A student's name may be removed from the school's eligibility list upon written request of the principal. After such
a request has been filed with the state office, a student may then participate as an independent without penalty. If
a principal requests the state office to remove a student's name from the school's eligibility list, such student may
not again be certified during the season of that sport.
This rule does not apply to bowling, golf, and tennis.

Q. May a player participate in a scrimmage, practice game or game with an independent team after being
registered with TSSAA in that sport?
A. No. The student shall be ineligible immediately in the sport in which the violation occurs.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L

Dawgs, are you telling people you went to Seattle? Did you get called in to the office for bagging it?

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
the kid was burnout on club soccer, said she didn't want to go. so we didn't think traveling across the country to play 3 soccer games would not have been using common sense. so we took the money and took our family of six to the beach. what would you do if your kid said i don't want to go to Seattle.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Alabama participation rule:

SECTION 6. OUTSIDE PARTICIPATION RULE. A student who is a member of any school athletic team (grades 7-12) may not participate (includes practice) on a non-school team in the same sport during the school season of that sport. A student who is a member of any high school athletic team
may not participate in an outside sport activity in the same sport during the school season of that sport.
Note: Olympic Development programs are exempted from the Outside Participation Rule. One evaluation per month has been approved by the AHSAA.
Note: Private individual instruction is not considered an outside sports activity. A student who violates this rule becomes ineligible to compete on that school team or in that school sports activity for the remainder of that school
season. Any student who participates on an outside team after the school sport season begins is ineligible to join that school team for the remainder
of that season.A team’s season begins the day of that team’s first contest and ends when that team’s season has been completed. An ineligible student cannot participate with an outside team after the school team’s season starts and then join the school team upon becoming eligible.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

the kid was burnout on club soccer, said she didn't want to go. so we didn't think traveling across the country to play 3 soccer games would not have been using common sense. so we took the money and took our family of six to the beach. what would you do if your kid said i don't want to go to Seattle.

So even though she was committed to the team it was OK for her to choose not to go to Seattle?

Does that mean that if she was committed to her hs team and she chose to go to San Antonio, that would be OK too?

Or is it somehow different?

C
kick off
kick off
C
I just moved to SC from Tennessee last January. I can tell you that the rule you quoted is strickly enforced. The beauty of Tennessee is that the Girls High School season is in the fall and the Boys play in the Spring.
This allows clubs to have top age groups in the fall and spring and not have the need to try and pull players from the high school teams.
I wish SC would switch to Girls in the fall and Boys in the Spring!

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Harry, it looks like you are saying it's OK to leave any team at any time to participate in another event. If it's OK to not play in a High School tournament (such as the Viking Cup) and participate in a Club event, then it must be OK to choose not to participate in a Club event. So based on this, it must have been OK for GBDawgs to have chosen not to go to Seattle.

You are talking out of "both sides of your mouth".

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
South Carolina used to have a very similar rule. It was listed in all High School handbooks.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
family first...club second...my fault for not using this rule earlier in regards to club soccer participation.our family got caught up in the club soccer thing without looking at the big "club soccer" picture.probably because she was our only child who participated in soccer at the premier level, and she was our 4th. if she was our first i would of steered the last 3 away from club soccer.i feel any input i can give to parents with young athletes i'm giving a little back to youth sports which all 4 of my children have participated on travel leagues ( baseball (AAU in Ohio), golf(SCJGA), volleyball(Club South). when i'm at a social gathering i tell them about the good, bad, and ugly of club soccer in the upstate. i tell them about the relationships my daughter developed with her teammates(good), the parents and childs relationship with the club, what our child got out of being a member of the club.how much we paid over the years to participate in the club,and the travel & time commitment they can expect.i don't think there's nothing wrong with that do you?

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
Tell Jimmy P. I said "hi"!

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
A little off topic, but what do you feel about students missing games/practice to participate in other school extracurricular events during the season -- such as conferences, club meetings, SATs, etc.? How do you handle these issues?

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

Harry, it looks like you are saying it's OK to leave any team at any time to participate in another event. If it's OK to not play in a High School tournament (such as the Viking Cup) and participate in a Club event, then it must be OK to choose not to participate in a Club event. So based on this, it must have been OK for GBDawgs to have chosen not to go to Seattle.

You are talking out of "both sides of your mouth".

I've actually never said that it wasn't OK for anyone to miss anything. I believe that I have only said that it wouldn't be right to punish a player for choosing. Others have brought in the issue of commitment. Others have said how awful it was that these players left their teams to suffer in the preseason tournament without them. What I pointed out was that it was apparently OK to miss a club event to go to the beach, but not OK to miss a preseason hs event to go to a more competitive club event. I thought it was a little hypocritical.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
My oldest hasn't played for Club South for 5+ years now. Jimmy Peden could have Club South filled with a couple hundred people and if you approached him he always made time for you. You could tell he appreciated your business. Also, he runs the biggest volleball club in the state and still works another full time job. Most of his coaching staff is current succesful HS and Local College Coaches. Great club/player/parent relationship.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
So your saying the HS/Club players and parents did the wrong thing in going to San Antonio for ECNL during a HS soccer tournament? You call us out on commitment for not attending a club event, yet you don't think there's commitment when a player signs up for HS soccer and leaves their high school teamates going to a HS tournament without them because of another event somewhere else in the same sport.You're hard to read.

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
couldn't agree more...great guy!

I
throw in
throw in
I
Quote:

After careful consideration my answer is a resounding YES!
Clubs would get there top players back full time and it would help to level the playing field of all HS programs in SC. And yes there are some top HS players that chose to skip club ball there last season, but they are the player they are due to club ball. Also the truth of the matter is that the number is closer to $10,000 a year for Academy/ECNL players.

"Duh,WINNING."
I
throw in
throw in
I
Quote:

My oldest hasn't played for Club South for 5+ years now. Jimmy Peden could have Club South filled with a couple hundred people and if you approached him he always made time for you. You could tell he appreciated your business. Also, he runs the biggest volleball club in the state and still works another full time job. Most of his coaching staff is current succesful HS and Local College Coaches. Great club/player/parent relationship.

Believe me I know nothing about Jimmy P. never even heard of him however I can tell you one thing there is no way he works full time for anybody and runs club south at the same time. He must own his own business which allows him to do whatever he pleases (good for him).

"Duh,WINNING."
G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
you're correct ilove. he owns his own insurance business.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
get your high school soccer schedule, club soccer schedule and shedule other activities around them. SAT's are very important, more important than athletic participation, but there are many opportunities for ACT and SAT testing in your junior and senior year.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
You know, it could work so easily if-

During the High School season (which in SC is essentially Feb.-May) the players playing HS were exclusive to HS during the week and whatever tournaments or games occurred on the few weekends that it happens. They could still train with their Clubs on off HS weekends.

And during the Club season, which can be the rest of the calendar the Club players are exclusive to Club.

But, the Clubs will not accept this. As said before on this board, Club wants all your time and as much of your money as possible.

F
Throw In
Throw In
F
Quote:

So your saying the HS/Club players and parents did the wrong thing in going to San Antonio for ECNL during a HS soccer tournament? You call us out on commitment for not attending a club event, yet you don't think there's commitment when a player signs up for HS soccer and leaves their high school teamates going to a HS tournament without them because of another event somewhere else in the same sport.You're hard to read.

One point I believe folks are missing is...these players and parents made the commitment to the club team to attend ECNL events back in May. These girls did not try out for the HS teams until January. Should they have disregarded their prior club commitment for a preseason HS event?
It was a difficult decision for our family, but as parents we have to make what we believe is the best decision for our children. Isn't that what parents are supposed to do? Honestly it feels like these girls are being punished because they are talented enough to play soccer at a high level. Somehow that just doesn't pass the smell test. Oh yeah, the BBQ we ate in San Antonio and Selma TX was worth the trip

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Well then maybe if the player can't meet the commitments of both soccer programs they should pick one or the other. I personally like Bucky's BBQ. It's about 10 minutes by car from MESA and it's always worth the trip.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
So what if our HS (in South Carolina)season was when our Club season is.

Then the commitment would have been made to HS first and they would be breaking their commitment to HS, so they could not go to an ECNL event???

And based on your thought process if the HS decided to hold a clinic in the summer and it fell on an Club event weekend, then the players would still be committed to HS and could not attend say Regionals?

B
brace
brace
B
It's simple. In our state, from Feb. 1 to the days after state finals, clubs and Academy sides should do their absolute best to minimize conflicts. It's quite do-able, if everyone would just grow up and vaguely cooperate.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

But, the Clubs will not accept this. As said before on this board, Club wants all your time and as much of your money as possible.

I always love it when people use the money issue as a cop-out. It's so uninformed that it makes your arguments look incredibly weak.

In our club, we have not paid the club a nickel to play ECNL. Our club fees were the same as they were before ECNL. In fact, to play on the team, the cost was exactly the same. My travel costs have increased. But every hotel I've stayed in, every gas station I've filled up at, and the airline ticket I purchased this year; none of those bills came from the club. When I booked a flight to San Antonio, I didn't give a penny to the club. We stayed at a Marriott, which I don't believe is owned by an upstate soccer club.

In fact, we've gotten good training (which does not occur at every hs) in Jan., Feb., and now March AT NO COST! Seems like somebody that is 'forcing' these players to play year-round because they want my money is doing a terrible job of charging me for what I'm getting. BP, Marriott and US Air have gotten some of my money; but my club got the same amount as they got before there was ECNL.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
I love it when people use "the money I spend traveling for soccer" has nothing to do with the Club.

Of course it has to do with the Club, that's the reason you are doing it.

Harry, you are really sounding like a DOC and not a Club parent.

I
throw in
throw in
I
Bomber
I agree with Harry and its safe to say I am not a DOC. Yes, club soccer is very expensive,but sports like golf make soccer look like a bargain. BTW have all you CESA haters checked out the prices of the three nearest mega clubs ? I have and CESA is a bargain compared to what other charge and there upfront costs.

"Duh,WINNING."
B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Ilove, are you implying Harry is a DOC?

My statement of "Club wants your time and money" means Club is going year round (or they want you involved year round) thus, if this occurs, they have to be getting more of your time and money.

They can't be doing all this for free.

We taxpayers aren't subsidizing Club soccer, are we?

There has to be a cost.

Correct me if I am wrong (and I'm sure someone will), and I am not looking at any figures, but if memory serves me correctly, when there was a St. Giles and GFC, participating in Club soccer cost much less.

Maybe if Harry is in the know, he can provide correct data.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Sorry ilove you got that one extremely wrong. my son played in south carolina junior golf association for 5 years. played in local weekly tournament every week beetween june and september played in regional & statewide tournament once a month (in south carolina)which the player and parent picks not the association. youth premier soccer is much more expensive, it's not even close. it also didn't overlap with riverside's high school golf schedule.and a set of golf clubs isn't needed every year, just regrips.

Harry keeps going back to club cost only, and yes monthly fees go up every year. soccer venues "ASSOCIATED" with club soccer is where it has gotten really stupid. like a family with a premier soccer player has a choice if they travel or not. Seattle, LasVegas, Texas... C'mon really?????? What a D... A.. move for youth soccer. Bomber's right the clubs throw as much on the wall as possible and see what sticks, their not looking at development their looking at cash flow.

I
throw in
throw in
I
dawg

Come on now, I remember having the PRIVILEGE (as the club put it)to decide on a equity membership or non equity membership at the infamous local golf coarse nestled between the parkway and pelham. I am here to state that my check was a bit larger than any check a soccer club has received.

"Duh,WINNING."
G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
ilove, you are funnier than ****. We're not talking about joining Thornblade Country Club. Were talking about youth sports are we not. You don't have to join Thornblade to play junior golf. geez....

F
Throw In
Throw In
F
Quote:

Well then maybe if the player can't meet the commitments of both soccer programs they should pick one or the other. I personally like Bucky's BBQ. It's about 10 minutes by car from MESA and it's always worth the trip.

Would the same rules apply to the girls that play basketball, or is it only the ECNL girls that need to choose? If the girls BB team makes the playoffs don't they miss more preseason games than the ECNL girls missed due to San Antonio?
Guess it's a real good thing there is no ECNL for the boys. I'd hate for those guys have to choose which team they wanted to play for

Bucky's is my favorite too. However, it can't hold a candle to Rudy's in Selma or The County Line in San Antonio.

F
Throw In
Throw In
F
Quote:

So what if our HS (in South Carolina)season was when our Club season is.

Then the commitment would have been made to HS first and they would be breaking their commitment to HS, so they could not go to an ECNL event???

And based on your thought process if the HS decided to hold a clinic in the summer and it fell on an Club event weekend, then the players would still be committed to HS and could not attend say Regionals?

My thought process was based on reality. It was also based on what our family felt was the best decision for her future.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

I love it when people use "the money I spend traveling for soccer" has nothing to do with the Club.

Of course it has to do with the Club, that's the reason you are doing it.

Harry, you are really sounding like a DOC and not a Club parent.

I'm actually not a DOC, but I do like very much what the co-executive directors of my club are offering us.

Never did I say money has nothing to do with the club. What I said was that the money I paid the club before ECNL and after ECNL was the same. The club is not making more money off of me because they are offering training in the Winter and Spring. The club didn't make anymore money off of me because I went to San Antonio. (the airline did and the hotel did) I spent money. But it didn't go to the club. You said that the only reason the club is going year-round is that they want my money. I disagree.

Last night, players from my club played against Newberry College. They'll have the chance to play a few more colleges as well. For free. This past summer, our team was coached by 5 different college coaches over 3 days, and fed several meals. For $100. This year, we had the chance to play in front of 35 women's college coaches, and got fed, and got an Adidas jacket. For $60. This Sunday, the seniors from our club who signed national letters of intent (which there are always many) will have a dinner for them and their parents. They'll receive (if history holds true) Adidas apparell and a nice steak dinner. For free.

These people are not in it for the money. If they were, they could make a lot more of it. I get irritated when (how do the kids say it) the haters come out. And why? Because you have some personal grudge?

I believe what I am really sounding like is someone who is informed and likes the club and what it offers. As opposed to someone who isn't informed and who has an axe to grind.

I
throw in
throw in
I
Quote:

ilove, you are funnier than ****. We're not talking about joining Thornblade Country Club. Were talking about youth sports are we not. You don't have to join Thornblade to play junior golf. geez....

Exactly......Thanks, you just proved my point. You don't have to join CESA to play youth soccer. geez...

"Duh,WINNING."
I
throw in
throw in
I
FXDWG
Great point about girls BB overlapping with soccer. Seems like HS coaches go easy on the BB players.

"Duh,WINNING."
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

Ilove, are you implying Harry is a DOC?

My statement of "Club wants your time and money" means Club is going year round (or they want you involved year round) thus, if this occurs, they have to be getting more of your time and money.

They can't be doing all this for free.

We taxpayers aren't subsidizing Club soccer, are we?

There has to be a cost.

Correct me if I am wrong (and I'm sure someone will), and I am not looking at any figures, but if memory serves me correctly, when there was a St. Giles and GFC, participating in Club soccer cost much less.

Maybe if Harry is in the know, he can provide correct data.

1) Did you just say that you're making statements about costs and yet you aren't looking at any figures? Do you have anything factul to back up what you're saying?

2) I'm sure that soccer costs less when it was St. Giles and GFC. Mainly because it was 8 years ago! Remember what a gallon of gas cost 8 years ago? (that's a weak argument that I just made, but I won't erase it) I'm going to imagine that St. Giles and GFC offered a whole lot less than what is offered now at CESA.

3) I've stated in another response some of the examples where I think the club could/should be charging a whole lot more for what they are offering if they were money driven. The camp this past summer was the big one. I've paid $500 for 4 days worth of summer camp involving sessions run by club coaches, hs coaches and college players. Last summer, I paid $100 for 3.5 days of training by college coaches. And we saw the Korean women's national team.

And I think the most important thing that you said in your post was "if Harry is in the know". Why would anybody ask questions of someone who isn't in the know? Why would anybody listen to someone speak on a subject that they didn't have factual knowledge of? Yet on here, there are people spewing statements of a club they know very little about. And the haters chime right in.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
You forgot to mention all the free Kool-Aid you get.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Excellent retort. Well thought out and very informed.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
When I was first introduced to this website a couple of years ago I just observed for a few months before I jumped in. I actually didn't even know a website like this existed. I missed this information for several years that we were in club and the first couple years that we were involved in HS soccer.
It has become a much better site the past year or two because now were getting information from both sides of the aisle about High school,Club. Which is the way it should be. Did you know we have a debate about Club fees on two different posts, one of them is over 20 pages long.(OK, Ok 10 of the pages are from Harry) I think all soccer clubs should pass out a flyer at the annual sign up meeting with info about this website. All High Schools could post the link on their athletic website so HS parents can follow posts,scores, standings, rankings, that sort of thing. It would help give new soccer parents views from both sides. Maybe a Club like CESA could pass out a flyer at their annual sign up meeting to see if this will work. The guys that started this site have provided a valuable service to us.Hey whoever you are that started this website you need to sell advertising on it. I think you're going to get much bigger.Just an idea!!!

L
Goal
Goal
L
Gbdawgs – you are making up for lost time. lol
also, your many posts come across as bitter vs. informative/objective to others.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
letme: just asking questions, trying to bring things out that haven't been in the past. have read several of your posts. definately know what hat your wearing. have a good evening.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
"(OK, Ok 10 of the pages are from Harry)"

This is typical of you isn't it? Spouting off figures that are completely inaccurate and unsupported. 10 pages? Really?

Now, I'll respond (as usual) with facts.

Harry: member since 2/25/07, posts = 98 including this one.

gbdawgs: member since 6/30/10, posts = 179

So I've been on the forum for over 4 years, and you've been on for almost 9 months. Yet you've made almost twice as many comments. (most of them completely uninformed) Yet I'm the one with too much to say? Why don't you quote another state's participation policy? Have you run out of states that sort of support what you're saying? Of all the states in America, how many did you find anyway?

Look, I'm sorry things didn't work out for you at a club where most are successful and happy. But when you are going to 'inform' others as a public service of the evils of CESA and all those associated with it, at least try to sound somewhat objective and not so bitter. Try to use facts.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Here's Arkansas, there's many more. Why is this bitter? I just don't believe in Soccer Clubs stepping on High School athletics toes.I thought I could express my opinion on this board? just like you. I respect your views also so relax and have a good evening.

Rule 12. PARTICIPATION ON NON-SCHOOL TEAMS
A. Team Sports.
1. A student who is a member of a school's athletic team
and who has engaged in interscholastic competition may
not try out for, practice with, or otherwise participate
with, or be a member of a non-school athletic team in the
same sport, in season, without losing eligibility for up to
a full year (365 days) from the date of such participation
with the non-school team.
2. This limitation shall apply to the team sports of football,
basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball, and soccer.
However, a member of an interscholastic baseball,
softball or soccer team may try out for or practice with a
non-school team on days when the school team does
not practice or play. This exception for baseball, softball
and soccer shall not apply in weeks the school team is
involved in AAA-sponsored championship tournaments.
3. Participation on a non-school athletic team in the same
sport in season shall define in season as the AAA
established beginning date until the end of the state
tournament in that sport for students in grades 10-12
and students in grade 9 who have participated
interscholastically with the senior varsity team in the
sports of football, volleyball, and basketball.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Problem is, such a rule would not keep clubs from "stepping on High School athletics toes." Nothing the SCHSL does is in any way binding on clubs. What it WOULD do is create a situation in which, by scheduling events that coincide with the high school season, clubs could effectively force players to choose between not taking advantage of the opportunities that the clubs experiences offer, or not playing high school soccer at all.

Given the opinions voiced here regularly about clubs that would prefer their players NOT play high school soccer...do you think this would make them less likely to schedule conflicting events?

Put players (or anyone else, for that matter) in a situation where they are forced to make a choice, and you might not like the choices they end up making. Often they become a little biased against the party that is forcing the choice. Compromise, on the other hand, is more likely to result in a situation where the player can benefit from both teams, and both teams can benefit from the player. Any other way, somebody loses...and the players would lose something with either choice.

Just sayin'.

brace
brace
Maybe we should look at going the other way, make it easier for school players to become involved with clubs "affiliated" with the school. The rules now really prevent a coach/school/club from working together to put teams on the field, but maybe we could change thing to get more players involved with playing if there was more "local" involvement. You would know the clubs then would work to prevent conflict. Does it open some other cans of worms, yes but are they going to be any worse than we seem to have now? Who knows maybe District/County teams from multiple schools would be the higher levels with region then upper/lower state and finally state would be the pyramid we could build on. (Na never gonna happen to may people would have to take smaller bite of the pie!)

F
bench
bench
F
Those of you defending clubs are correct. It is not all about the money, that's the choice and decision of the parents. But it is about the attitude of the directors and coaches of the clubs, the level of coaching or lack thereof in the case of the upstate club, having coaches who set the right example by the language they use and their off the field behavior, having fair and real tryouts, and being honest among other things. Having a nice little ceremony for those that are playing college ball is laughable based on how little the club does to help make that happen. To a player, I have never talked to anyone who has been satisfied with the help they got for their kid to play in college. In many cases, they did everything totally on their own. As long as we pay, we are the customer and they have some obligation to disclose and communicate up front what the season will bring. Again, we have the choice and I am thankful that I chose to disassociate my family with their racket. This board helps get the word out so people can judge the satisfaction level of their customers.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Club soccer has its ups and downs..I don't think anyone will argue that..We were involved with club ball for eleven years and If I had to do it over again..I would in a skinny minute..We have memories and friends that can not be replaced from club ball..If it was not your cup of tea..thats okay too..No one is putting a gun to anyone's head and making them pay..
I appreciate someone that is willing to quit and walk away from club ball..I would appreciate it more if they could walk away without sounding off..

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
That's the exact problem with Club Ball. Too many people do not "sound off".

Maybe Club needs to ask itself, why is Club continually getting bashed in this forum?

Club needs to remember who the customer is!

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Clubs know who the customers are..That's why they are the size they are..More are satisfied than dissatisfied..Most that have problems are personal issues with the club..Not everyone can be made happy and that's not what it's there for to begin with..

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Quote:

Maybe we should look at going the other way, make it easier for school players to become involved with clubs "affiliated" with the school. The rules now really prevent a coach/school/club from working together to put teams on the field, but maybe we could change thing to get more players involved with playing if there was more "local" involvement. You would know the clubs then would work to prevent conflict. Does it open some other cans of worms, yes but are they going to be any worse than we seem to have now? Who knows maybe District/County teams from multiple schools would be the higher levels with region then upper/lower state and finally state would be the pyramid we could build on. (Na never gonna happen to may people would have to take smaller bite of the pie!)

Why can't a coach from a high school have more than 2-3 players from his/her school on a summer league team. It seems if players from a high school want to play as a team
in a league, even a club league, and use their high school coach it should be allowed. I know this happened to mauldin softball a few years ago and they had to forfeit a season because she had to many of her players on the team. I don't see the harm

C
Coach
Coach
C
Simply put, the League sees that as a way of circumventing the "closed season" restrictions on team practices.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Quote:

Why can't a coach from a high school have more than 2-3 players from his/her school on a summer league team. It seems if players from a high school want to play as a team
in a league, even a club league, and use their high school coach it should be allowed. I know this happened to mauldin softball a few years ago and they had to forfeit a season because she had to many of her players on the team. I don't see the harm

HS Teams are allowed to play during the summer:
"Ten days of competition are permitted June 1 - July 23, 2011. Participation at team camps and other outside organizations is included in these 10 days. No school will be permitted to attend or participate in team camps between July 24, 2011 and In-Season."

F
Throw In
Throw In
F
Quote:

Having a nice little ceremony for those that are playing college ball is laughable based on how little the club does to help make that happen. To a player, I have never talked to anyone who has been satisfied with the help they got for their kid to play in college. In many cases, they did everything totally on their own.

As related to college recruiting, I believe it is all about setting levels of expectations. I expect the club to offer my child a high level of training…which they do. I also expect the club to offer my child numerous exposure (ECNL, ODP, Region play, etc) opportunities…which they do. I expect the coaches and directors to use their existing networks with college coaches to HELP promote my child…which they do.
Video cameras are cheap…and lots of available software to assist me in putting together a recruiting highlight video to provide schools my child is interested in attending. I’m sure the club do more to assist parents in recruiting, but they must also be careful not to get on the wrong side of the NCAA. We (parents) can’t just stand around and not take any responsibility for the recruiting process. There are other parents who have sons/daughters playing college soccer that have already been through the recruiting process. Maybe they would be another resource we can tap into for information.

As in many things…if folks would take ownership of the situation and quit whining…maybe they would be more pleased with the results.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Quote:

"Coaching outside teams during a closed season is permissible provided the 75% rule is not violated."

For soccer 75% is 8 players. A high school coach can coach up to 8 of her/his high school players on an outside team.

brace
brace
So Coach what is the reason league wants to prevent "closed" season practice?

Soccer season never seems "closed" anymore

My basic thought is that keeping more kids playing together will improve the level of soccer (in general) we see at high school, and provide some benefits to the kids/community because of the intangibles that come with playing for local pride and keeping kids playing sports and off streets and video games.
I would think there could be a way we could change the club structures to imbrace the idea of developing local teams vice each club sucking up the best that it can get, no matter where they have to get them from.
By the way, No I am not blaming the clubs for people wanting to play there because they have a winning team. I am wondering if this is the best situation or if we can make it better.

Last edited by The Chief; 03/21/11 06:39 PM.
F
bench
bench
F
Well the club did not offer high level of training, they were terribly uncoordinated in scheduling matches and making sure officials were there or that the fields had lights for night games. The club did not use their high level of contacts to help with recruiting even when asked. It very well relates to the particular coach and situation. There are good coaches in the clubs. You can call it whining, I call it accountability. If someone is foolish enough to pay for this, drink the kool aid, and pump sunshine out more power to them.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I don't remember anyone promising my son or daughter a free ride to college thru soccer..It's not why they played the game.A player's ability will dictate whether colleges are interested or not..Not a coach or club..

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

"Coaching outside teams during a closed season is permissible provided the 75% rule is not violated."

For soccer 75% is 8 players. A high school coach can coach up to 8 of her/his high school players on an outside team.

Thats better. Why restrictions at all. Unfair advantage?

C
Coach
Coach
C
In a nutshell, yes. For all the detail that won't fit in a nutshell, I turn it over to Coach P!

hat-trick
hat-trick

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

http://schsl.org/2010/10handbook.htm

Ever feel like we're among a tiny minority who have actually read that thing?

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Quote:

QFT

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Quote:

Comes from my upbringing. I grew up in a household in which my father constantly responded to our statements with "Can you document that?"

And BTW, my dad was once the principal at Macedonia High School.

C
Coach
Coach
C
In my house it was "how do you know?" Lots of emphasis on the "Power of Prove-it."

brace
brace
Some I find interesting:

"E. Participation on junior varsity and "B" teams will be left to the discretion of the local school
authorities. It is recommended that teams below the varsity level be restricted to students in
the tenth grade and below."

How many schools follow this?

"G. College tryouts during a sport season are prohibited in that sport."

Is this not what we say all these soccer touney's are about? (I know they are not "tryouts" but.......)
or

"In Season
Participation on an outside team during a sport season is permitted in all sports except football. College
or professional try-outs during the season in all sports are prohibited. Violation of this policy renders a
student ineligible to return to his/her school team."

Guess if tourney's were tryouts the Viking cup would have had all those players or the school would be down those players all year.

"1. If a coach from a school (including volunteer coaches) is associated with an outside team, no..."

????Volunteer???? who tracks this one
and

"....This restriction applies to
all students who were included on the school's certificate of eligibility and dressed for a varsity game during the previous season."

I guess it is a good thing we do not count a club with multiple teams under this even though they sometimes train and practice together.

"Also, there is no restriction on baseball or softball during the months of May, June, and July as it pertains to the 75% rule."

and how come Softball and baseball get out of the rules for summer, when they play on non-school teams yet soccer does not for its non school team season???

C
Kickoff
Kickoff
C
Quote:

Those of you defending clubs are correct. It is not all about the money, that's the choice and decision of the parents. But it is about the attitude of the directors and coaches of the clubs, the level of coaching or lack thereof in the case of the upstate club, having coaches who set the right example by the language they use and their off the field behavior, having fair and real tryouts, and being honest among other things. Having a nice little ceremony for those that are playing college ball is laughable based on how little the club does to help make that happen. To a player, I have never talked to anyone who has been satisfied with the help they got for their kid to play in college. In many cases, they did everything totally on their own. As long as we pay, we are the customer and they have some obligation to disclose and communicate up front what the season will bring. Again, we have the choice and I am thankful that I chose to disassociate my family with their racket. This board helps get the word out so people can judge the satisfaction level of their customers.

I can't believe Harry has not responded to this.

C
Kickoff
Kickoff
C
Quote:

Well the club did not offer high level of training, they were terribly uncoordinated in scheduling matches and making sure officials were there or that the fields had lights for night games. The club did not use their high level of contacts to help with recruiting even when asked. It very well relates to the particular coach and situation. There are good coaches in the clubs. You can call it whining, I call it accountability. If someone is foolish enough to pay for this, drink the kool aid, and pump sunshine out more power to them.

I really can't believe Harry did not respond to this.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Quote:

Some I find interesting:

"E. Participation on junior varsity and "B" teams will be left to the discretion of the local school
authorities. It is recommended that teams below the varsity level be restricted to students in
the tenth grade and below."

How many schools follow this?

"G. College tryouts during a sport season are prohibited in that sport."

Is this not what we say all these soccer touney's are about? (I know they are not "tryouts" but.......)
or

"In Season
Participation on an outside team during a sport season is permitted in all sports except football. College
or professional try-outs during the season in all sports are prohibited. Violation of this policy renders a
student ineligible to return to his/her school team."

Guess if tourney's were tryouts the Viking cup would have had all those players or the school would be down those players all year.

"1. If a coach from a school (including volunteer coaches) is associated with an outside team, no..."

????Volunteer???? who tracks this one
and

"....This restriction applies to
all students who were included on the school's certificate of eligibility and dressed for a varsity game during the previous season."

I guess it is a good thing we do not count a club with multiple teams under this even though they sometimes train and practice together.

"Also, there is no restriction on baseball or softball during the months of May, June, and July as it pertains to the 75% rule."

and how come Softball and baseball get out of the rules for summer, when they play on non-school teams yet soccer does not for its non school team season???

OMG. I'm lost.

brace
brace
Should I type slower? or Bigger?

No I get it, it needs spaced out. I was just pointing out specific rules.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Quote:

Should I type slower? or Bigger?

No I get it, it needs spaced out. I was just pointing out specific rules.

I think I'll just study the NCAA rules. Lot easier.

N
Throw In
Throw In
N
actually, the mauldin thing came about cause a father of a player who was cut, threw everyone else under the bus.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
What good is a championship if you don't play the best. Don't punish the players, suspend the coach.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

Quote:

I can't believe Harry has not responded to this.

Sorry, I have to work sometimes too. And you may be right, the dinner Sunday night may be laughable if the club did nothing for the college careers of the players involved. I wasn't there, but I talked to someone who was. (so some of what follows is hearsay and you know how I hate that) Should we talk about the money-hungry club feeding 150 people steak, chicken, etc. etc. and giving 30 players and Adidas jacket and shirt? No, let's not talk about that.

We'll stick with the club not doing anything to help these players get to college. There were two girls from the 92s that are going to Furman next year to play. I guess they were born good enough to play there? There is a girl that came from Columbia for the last 5 years to play on the 92s. Now she's going to get an education from Wofford paid for. I guess she was just born good enough to play there too? As a matter of fact, I believe there were 13 players off of that team that are playing in college next year. Their coach had nothing to do with that? No phone calls were made on player's behalf? No events were scheduled at Mesa that involved college coaches?

I would hope that more people read this too. They can then get some facts to balance out the bitterness that the 6-7 of you spew back and forth to each other in an attempt to satisfy the grudge you have with the club that many of the rest of us care very much for.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Harry, first off, glad to see you back online.

Question for you- How does Kool-Aid taste with steak?

What flavor was served?

Thanks.

F
bench
bench
F
Sounds like a very nice event and recognition for a deserving group of girls who have worked hard over many years. Obviously based on the schools mentioned they also excel in their academics which they will need to suppliment their soccer scholarships. They will be proud to call any of these schools their alma mater. Hopefully all of the club coaches that were critical in their development and the reason they got the scholarships were free to be able to attend.

S
throw in
throw in
S
All the girls who played on the 92 CESA premier team last fall are continuing to play soccer in college. Yes their coach made phone calls on the player's behalf to college coaches. Yes events were held at Mesa involving college coaches but interest from college coaches really came after seeing the players play in big tournaments - regionals, Disney, and yes ECNL events. CESA got these girls/teams into those tournaments. CESA provided coaches to train the girls to play at a higher level. Some coaches are better than others, some girls developed better than others, and at the end of the day some girls have more interest/passion to play than others. The ones with passion to play as much as they can and continue to challenge and improve themselves are likely the ones that elect to continue to play in college. It is not for every player who enjoys the game of soccer. I think the 92 group of players were a bit behind in getting recruited because they didn't make regionals their freshman, sophomore years and only went to really one major tournament those years - Disney. There were complaints at that time, that the team wasn't getting enough visibility. Playing in state or neighboring states just didn't garner the college coaches interest. Plus SC club season is in the fall when women's college soccer is so most coaches don't have as much time to recruit during the fall. It appears they do most of their recruiting at major tournaments after their season is over or before it begins. As an expense bust Disney is, it does provide visibility by college coaches. Then ECNL started - now there are complaints that there is too much travel, but this really is only applicable to one club team in the state which consists of 15-18 girls at each grade level. So why should SCHSL step in and eliminate the ability of maybe 45-60 players out of I'm guessing 1000 high school soccer players to make their choice. The player or family that doesn't want to do ECNL or a heavy travel schedule can still play club soccer in the fall and high school in the spring. CESA has three levels of teams that play club (only one level travels a lot), Columbia United has several levels, Ft. Hills, Furman United, CASA, Mt. Pleasant etc. The point is SC has several club teams that have varying amount of competitiveness, travel and expense. So since every player talent, desires, and priorities are different, let that player and family be able to choose what fits them the best rather than be dictated by a govern body? Although if a player is a member of several teams which may have conflicts, they need to be upfront before selection onto a team, which team will have priority. If a coach selects a player whose first priority is another team, then there shouldn't be any complaints or punishment for missing a game. In the past there has been several club soccer players that have also run cross country, played basketball, tennis etc. during club season and have managed to work it out.

And Bomber, to your disappointment no Kool-Aid was served - but you could have had a brownie.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Gbdawgs, Bomber,
Why aren't any Riverside girls listed on the all star game nominations. The site says the nominations are closed now for one of the games. You have plenty of deserving srs. Can they not make the dates, have no interest, or an oversight?

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Dang, no Kool-Aid.

That's a disappointment.

Scwame, what's the flavor of Kool-Aid of choice at CCES?

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
kool aid, kool aid, kool aid. I like the ring of it. That is my new tactic of debate.

C
Kickoff
Kickoff
C
Swame, congratulations to all the 92's playing college soccer.

Can you provide a listing of all the different schools these young ladies will play for?

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Quote:

Gbdawgs, Bomber,
Why aren't any Riverside girls listed on the all star game nominations. The site says the nominations are closed now for one of the games. You have plenty of deserving srs. Can they not make the dates, have no interest, or an oversight?

don't worry. coach is on committee. Plenty of riverside players will be in attendance. although I could find better places to be than on a Charleston soccer field in July.

Last edited by patriot; 03/24/11 07:14 PM.
Goal
Goal
Quote:

All the girls who played on the 92 CESA premier team last fall are continuing to play soccer in college. Yes their coach made phone calls on the player's behalf to college coaches. Yes events were held at Mesa involving college coaches but interest from college coaches really came after seeing the players play in big tournaments - regionals, Disney, and yes ECNL events. CESA got these girls/teams into those tournaments. CESA provided coaches to train the girls to play at a higher level. Some coaches are better than others, some girls developed better than others, and at the end of the day some girls have more interest/passion to play than others. The ones with passion to play as much as they can and continue to challenge and improve themselves are likely the ones that elect to continue to play in college. It is not for every player who enjoys the game of soccer. I think the 92 group of players were a bit behind in getting recruited because they didn't make regionals their freshman, sophomore years and only went to really one major tournament those years - Disney. There were complaints at that time, that the team wasn't getting enough visibility. Playing in state or neighboring states just didn't garner the college coaches interest. Plus SC club season is in the fall when women's college soccer is so most coaches don't have as much time to recruit during the fall. It appears they do most of their recruiting at major tournaments after their season is over or before it begins. As an expense bust Disney is, it does provide visibility by college coaches. Then ECNL started - now there are complaints that there is too much travel, but this really is only applicable to one club team in the state which consists of 15-18 girls at each grade level. So why should SCHSL step in and eliminate the ability of maybe 45-60 players out of I'm guessing 1000 high school soccer players to make their choice. The player or family that doesn't want to do ECNL or a heavy travel schedule can still play club soccer in the fall and high school in the spring. CESA has three levels of teams that play club (only one level travels a lot), Columbia United has several levels, Ft. Hills, Furman United, CASA, Mt. Pleasant etc. The point is SC has several club teams that have varying amount of competitiveness, travel and expense. So since every player talent, desires, and priorities are different, let that player and family be able to choose what fits them the best rather than be dictated by a govern body? Although if a player is a member of several teams which may have conflicts, they need to be upfront before selection onto a team, which team will have priority. If a coach selects a player whose first priority is another team, then there shouldn't be any complaints or punishment for missing a game. In the past there has been several club soccer players that have also run cross country, played basketball, tennis etc. during club season and have managed to work it out.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
You know, Kool-Aid existed back in the days of Black & White TV.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Oh I know where that video came from. It's a parent at the annual CESA meeting and they just announced that they don't have to travel to Anchorage, Alaska for the ECNL National Championships,,,, but he still looks p'd off.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Quote:

Gbdawgs, Bomber,

don't worry. coach is on committee. Plenty of riverside players will be in attendance. although I could find better places to be than on a Charleston soccer field in July.

A max of two per school.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

You know, Kool-Aid existed back in the days of Black & White TV.

Why, Ike, whatever do you mean?

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Quote:

Gbdawgs, Bomber,

Are you suggesting that because the coach is on the committee, he can get players in who were not nominated before the deadline, when others are told it's too late?

I must have misunderstood.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Scwame, regarding the school you mentioned, it appears they must focus on TEAM accomplishments, rather than INDIVIDUAL ones.

There is no I in T-E-A-M.

When will you post that list that CornerKicker asked about?

I too am curious where all the 92's are playing college ball.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gbdawgs, Bomber,

Are you suggesting that because the coach is on the committee, he can get players in who were not nominated before the deadline, when others are told it's too late?

I must have misunderstood.

NO. Just kidding. They have 8 seniors so maybe they are not available in the summer.

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Why are you so interested in CESA 92 players' college choices being listed on the forum? I'm sure you know they are all listed on the CESA website. Are you and gbdawgs just chomping at the bit to publicly belittle their college selections? If i had no fear of my daughter and family being publicly belittled for her and our choice to play for CESA and to play college soccer for a small college that is well-noted for her major and which she is very much looking forward to attending, I would be happy to post the choices publicly. She was accepted to every college she applied including USC, CofC, and Clemson but wanted to play soccer at a smaller school. (She would have not been able to play varsity soccer at either of the other 3, although I'm not sure that is something she would have wanted to do anyway) I have another daughter who went the other route, chose not to pursue a soccer scholarship, chose not to play club soccer her senior year, and wanted to go to a larger school like Clemson. Both are extremely happy with their decisions and we are very happy for both of them and the time we spent playing club soccer at CESA. We enjoyed the trips and the friends we made and the good times we had. If we hadn't been enjoying it, we would have quit long ago because we realized all along that either one of our daughters might have decided not to pursue a college scholarship at any time but that wasn't what it was ALL about.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Here is what you can expect to hear. 1. Where the heck is Washington and Lee? 2. What flavor kool aid do they serve at CESA, your house, your family picnics.

But I don't think it is an interest anymore about this team or club; it is an obsession- It's gone from Ralph Nader to Ahab and his white whale.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
No, I would never belittle these young ladies.

I applaud them, it is a great accomplishment.

Hopefully it will work out well for all of them.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Loc Dog pretty much hit it on the head..The reality is most that play club ball get no offers to play soccer..that is when you look at the numbers that play and the numbers that do get offers..Just like the numbers will be even smaller for the ones that play on a national team after college..My daughter chose school first and sports second..How can anyone argue with that? She had some intersts from a few schools but chose not to pursue them..Let the college thing go..That is a personal decision to be made by a child and family and is no ones business..Clubs tout their college signees because they want to show people the success some have had playing within their system and yes..it could be a selling point to get kids to play there..Why not? Is it not something to be proud of? We are not part of the CESA 92 group..We were with the group that shared state titles with them and enjoyed the eight plus years of competition we gave each other..I like the taste of kool aide..It tastes better than bitter water..Let it go!!

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
This message board is an open forum, and is open for all comments.

You have the right to post your thoughts and others who may have thoughts that differ from you have that right also.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
NCAA number ... approx 5% of HS seniors that play soccer go on to play College ball. The other 95% move on with their lives.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Hey I have never said on this post anything neg. About the 92 girls. I know all of them and they all accomplished their goals. Some are close friends of my daughters, so take it back and quit making false accusations,,, by the way the the original post has nothing to do with college recruiting,it is about my feelings about conflicts with club and hs soccer.wake up...

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I'm awake..My posts was to no one particular poster..If the shoe fits..wear it. If it don't..Don't worry about it..

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard